View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Pursuit
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Pursuit
Subject Topic: Mounting a Battery Charger Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Gator KStenz
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 25 2007 at 09:11 | IP Logged Quote Gator KStenz

Since my 2870 only has 2 batteries, I thought it best to put an on-board charger in the boat since the previous owner did not have one.  I purchased a 2 bank Dual Pro.  Now, I'm trying to determine the best place to mount it.  There's just not a lot of extra space in the battery compartment with all the pumps down there.  Anyone else have one and find a good place to mount it (can you post pictures?). 

Also, thinking that the best place to mount the charger inlet receptacle will be right above the washdown hose on the starboard side of the boat near the gunnel rod holders.  Just wondering if I'm overlooking anything and will find out later that this is not the best place.

passchristian
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 25 2007 at 15:14 | IP Logged Quote passchristian

We still need alot more posters over here to help answer questions just like this.  I have a walkaround and under the deck is a pretty expansive hatch where the batt swithches, batts, fresh water tank, and holding take are.  The charger is mounted on the bulkhead here.  I guess the cc is different.  Do you have a shore power connection? If so, just wire the charger to the 110v panel.  If you don't, the WA has the shore power receptacle mounted on the port side, convenient to the panel on the port side I would imagine.  I know I'm not offering any specific help, but just thought I'd let you know how your sister ship is configured by the factory.  Every question deserves some sort of response just to keep the forum alive until more people join.

Edited by passchristian on September 25 2007 at 15:16

2003 Pursuit 2870 WA
Back to Top Printable version View passchristian's Profile Search for other posts by passchristian

Gator KStenz
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 25 2007 at 15:37 | IP Logged Quote Gator KStenz

In the CC the batteries are mounted in the transom.  There is no shore power on the boat currently.

There's plenty of room in the center console to mount the charger, I just don't want to run the wiring all the way to the transom to the batteries.  I'm sure I can make it work in the battery compartment, but I just preferred to not possibly have to remount it if I figure out later I put it in a poor spot.  That's why I was hoping for some input.

MrPat
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 25 2007 at 15:50 | IP Logged Quote MrPat

If you use a big enough wire, you could mount it in the cc. If you don't have shore power, I assume that you don't have a galvanic isolator. I was "in the same boat" with my old boat. I left the charger on for days at a time while the boat was in the water. Because I did not have a galvanic isolator, I had stray current at my slip. This ate my Yamaha motor brackets. It was an expensive lesson.

2005 3070 w/yamaha F250s
Back to Top Printable version View MrPat's Profile Search for other posts by MrPat

Gator KStenz
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 25 2007 at 20:00 | IP Logged Quote Gator KStenz

My boat is trailer stored at my home.  I just want to be able to plug in the batteries after a day of use and let the charger charge and "tend" them. 

Maybe mounting in the console is what I'll need to do and just run some larger gauge wires.  Trying to avoid that, though.  I may be able to mount it next to the batteries, it would probably see some water, though.  I know they say they are completely water proof, but we all know that it will last longer if it is mounted where it will not see any (or at least not much) water.

Gator KStenz
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 08 2007 at 11:27 | IP Logged Quote Gator KStenz

Finally had a chance to mount the battery charger 2 weekends ago.  Actually a buddy of mine that used to work as a rigger did most of the work and I helped. Went with the Dual Pro.

We installed it in the bilge on the port side next to where the batteries are located on the "shelf" they have set up for them.  My buddy was able to squeeze enough of his body in there to drill the pilot holes, but we had to remove the access panel on the swim platform of the transom and let my 6 y/o son get in there and drill the screws into the holes.  Then we added a flush mount plug in receptacle.  Very happy with the results.

Next comes the fishbox macerator that needs replacing.  After that I should be all set until I'm ready to add a radar.

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version