View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Pursuit
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Pursuit
Subject Topic: came over from THT, just bought a 2870 Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
txhedg
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 24 2007 at 23:43 | IP Logged Quote txhedg

It would be good if we could generate some traffic with discussion dedicated to the pursuits.

I just picked up my "new to me" 2870 center console this weekend.  Under 400 hrs on 2001 225 optis.  Optis have had the fuel injectors, rails etc replaced under warranty, and i had a merc tech go through the pair pretty thoroughly, replacing one gear case housing, new pumps, popit valves, tstats, fuel filters etc.

Put a few hours on it this weekend, and it was GREAT.  Its my first boat, so id probably be happy with a 1984 bayliner LOL, but i sure feel like i made a good decision buying the 2870.  I cant wait to get back down soon to run it again (its down in NJ near our beach house, and i live in CT).  Boat will ultimately be used up by my house in CT in the LI Sound, but trailer is still on order and im not quite ready to take on the NJ to CT trip myself.

passchristian
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 25 2007 at 03:41 | IP Logged Quote passchristian

Quite a starter boat.  You went first class right off the bat.  Once you start looking around and see everything out there, good and bad, you realize there is a difference and wonder whether it's worth it to plunk down the extra who knows how many thousands for the best.  I struggled with  the decision.  I've owned several boats but never one as nice or as expensive as my Pursuit.  I get a lot of oohs and ahs around here these days, but the best thing is I know I've got one of the best made boats out there that will last as long as I last.  I'm glad I decided to spend the money.  What a boat. 

We need to generate some interest to keep this forum alive.  Thanks for posting.

2003 Pursuit 2870 WA
Back to Top Printable version View passchristian's Profile Search for other posts by passchristian

MrPat
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 25 2007 at 06:12 | IP Logged Quote MrPat

Very nice 1st boat. I have a good friend with the same boat. I have fished it many times. I love the layout. Great choice. Post some pics.

2005 3070 w/yamaha F250s
Back to Top Printable version View MrPat's Profile Search for other posts by MrPat

Gator KStenz
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 25 2007 at 09:02 | IP Logged Quote Gator KStenz

Just bought my 2870 CC about 3 weeks ago myself.  Unfortunately, I've only been able to get her out twice since the sea trial.  So, far I'm very happy with the boat.  Quite the change from the 302 Scarab Sport I previously had.

signmansez
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 03 2007 at 00:45 | IP Logged Quote signmansez

Congrats on the purchase. I know we chatted via PM a couple of months ago on THT. Appears you went with the boat in NJ. Glad it has worked out mechanically. You made the right decision going with the Pursuit. Wife and I are enjoying the heck out of ours. We are fortunate to be able to use it every weekend to cruise the intracoastal in the Tampa/Clearwater area. I am waiting for the water to cool a bit to get offshore for some grouper/snapper fishing. Next week starts stone crab season so we will be using the boat to harvest our share of this Florida delecacy.

Hope this forum works out. Getting a bit hostile over at THT.

Central Florida
Madeira Beach, Fl
Back to Top Printable version View signmansez's Profile Search for other posts by signmansez

txhedg
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 03 2007 at 22:52 | IP Logged Quote txhedg

Quote: signmansez

Congrats on the purchase. I know we chatted via PM a couple of months ago on THT. Appears you went with the boat in NJ. Glad it has worked out mechanically. You made the right decision going with the Pursuit. Wife and I are enjoying the heck out of ours........

Hope this forum works out. Getting a bit hostile over at THT.

Yep...i originally passed on the boat after pm'ing with you and a few others.  It "sold" to someone else, who balked at all the things it needed (which i had realized even before the other guy bought it).

Anyway, i was offered a deal (even below the already-fairly-low asking price)where they also agreed they would fix everything mechanical and electrical/electronic that needed it, on seller's dime.  I went thru the boat with a fine tooth comb with my surveyor, and came up with a list of about 20 things.  They took the boat to a respected local marina (who ended up doing an excellent job, imho), and they spent +$4k replacing all sorts of pumps, trim, lights, windlass, LU seals, new batts and batt holders, etc, etc that we had identified as needing work.

I then spent another $5k of my $$ having a bunch of maintenance done on the motors, as well as other stuff, including full detailing of hull, top and under deck too, some gelcoat work, two new bilge pumps (one to replace the one that still worked, but was a bit old, plus a second one with another thru hull, just to be on the safe side), and one new LU gearcase housing (there was some corrosion that would have been an issue soon).

So, after all that, the boat looks great, runs great, and according to the guy at the marina doing the work, seems very well sorted out.  The shop spent a lot of time on the optis since they are the 2001's, and it seems like all is well.  By the time i was done, i lost a few weeks due to all the work being completed, but im pretty comfortable the boat is now pretty solid.  And my cost basis in the boat is pretty damn good imho.

Ive only been out on it a few hours two weeks ago as ive been covered up at work for the past few weeks, but hope to change that this weekend, and get it moved up here to CT so i can sneak out some days during the week and catch the end of the striper season.

I'm now working on deciding on the electronics im going to put in (has older stuff on it now).  Leaning towards doing a furuno 585 FF and a 12" Garmin GPS/Chart, with a plan of probably adding radar too.  Lots of fun!

signmansez
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 04 2007 at 11:33 | IP Logged Quote signmansez

Glad to hear it has worked out for you. A strong testiment to Pursuit boats is the way you can "bring" one back. The gelcoat on even a 20 year old boat will shine like new when detailed properly. There are 2 issues (minor) that I have found that leave me scratching my head. The cheesey transom door design, which I am in the process of re-doing and the hatch hardware. The hatches are secured with 1/4 screws that screw into a molded block of wood underneath the hatch cover. I have replaced about a dozen with through bolts.

A couple of running tips that may help you out. My boat performs in the chop much better with a hefty amount of trim tab. It seems it needs more than most boats I have run, probably due to the light weight bow area. It also does much better fuel wise with some tab and the motors trimmed up a fair amount.

As far as electronics, I have used most mfg.'s in my travels and am very impressed with the Raymarine C series that came with my boat. The bottom machine is awesome and reads at cruise speed without any distortion. The chartplotter is pretty user friendly although the Lowrance and Garmin units seem to be a bit easier to learn. The one thing I like is the "plug and play" ability of the add on components. I added the s1000 autopilot and it was a very simple install. I too will be adding a 4kw open array radar next year and understand it is as easy as hooking up a vcr! The Raymarine website also offers online tutorials for thier multifunction displays. This is great to refresh your memory with.

Hope you are able to get out a few more times this year. Our bottom fishing season is just starting and I am also getting into the Stone Crab trapping a bit more aggressively this year. They are a tasty treat!

Central Florida
Madeira Beach, Fl
Back to Top Printable version View signmansez's Profile Search for other posts by signmansez

signmansez
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 04 2007 at 11:34 | IP Logged Quote signmansez

Tx, did your boat come with a trailer? If so and you are interested in selling it let me know. I am in the market for one. Thanks, Capt. Rodg

Central Florida
Madeira Beach, Fl

txhedg
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 04 2007 at 15:37 | IP Logged Quote txhedg

Tx, did your boat come with a trailer? If so and you are interested in selling it let me know. I am in the market for one. Thanks, Capt. Rodg

Actually it did not come with one, but i am in the process of buying one now....was supposed to show up a few days ago but no sign of it yet....argh.  Supposed to tow it from my place on NJ shore up to CT this weekend, but its not looking good.  I'm missing the stripers here in the north.

I ended up going the "cheap" route and bought a venture bunk.  Not great quality, but im not going to be using it much, maybe 4-6 time a year max, and while the rollers on the ventures are sh~t, I think the bunks are ok.  Triple axle galv 8600lb, disc brakes on all 3 axles, fairly basic setup  for $4k.  That was the best deal i found around here.

The boat buffed out well, so it looks MUCH better.  But mostly it was replacing about 75% of the assorted pumps, macerateor, lights, etc that makes me feel like i should be good to go for a while anyway without too many niggling problems to be chasing.

Pulled the trigger on a Garmin 3210 today.....got a great price ($1k) on one that was already sitting in the shop at the marina, was installed on a big sportfish for a month, and then pulled in favor of a 12" screen......the $700 discount should just about pay for the dedicated FF i plan to add as well 

Edited by txhedg on October 04 2007 at 15:41

signmansez
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 04 2007 at 16:18 | IP Logged Quote signmansez

what are you doing with the electronis that are on the boat? I have a neighbor that is looking for a cheap chartplotter for her scarab sport. Also, does your boat have a windshield? All I can see from the picture is a piece of eisenglass. Reason I am asking is, when running at night it is very difficult for me to see through the plexi windshield and I was thinking of cutting it down or removing it and adding eisenglass.

Central Florida
Madeira Beach, Fl

txhedg
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 04 2007 at 16:44 | IP Logged Quote txhedg

Once i pull the gps/chart and FF, i have no plans for them (other than maybe ebay).  The Northstar 951x GPS works great, but is B&W and a bit limited in what chips it will take (navionics classic small chips only, no L or XL).  But as far as a B&W gps/chart goes, its probably one of the best ones on the market.  The FF is a Sitex CVS 106 MkII.. The screen is very good (and color), fires up fine, but has some problems with reading depth sometimes...but im about 90% certain its a 'ducer issue, and not the si tex unit iteself.  I would be willing to make someone a good deal on both or either of the units if anyone is interested.  951 should be available next week, unsure of when im pulling the si tex FF.

Regarding my windshield, there is nothing above the top of the console...ie no plexiglass.  There is eisenglass that can zipper in to make a windshield, but i have not used it to date.  I think the eisenglass is a good way to go, especially for you in florida....in the NE i would think its gonna start getting cold without the eisenglass up pretty soon (although its about 80F today!!)....and visibility thru the eisenglass is not perfect, and certainly worse in daylight than thru plexi.

I do like the feel of unfettered wind in my teeth on the two warm days i've been out in it so far 

Balt. Pursuit
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 05 2007 at 17:36 | IP Logged Quote Balt. Pursuit

Comngratulations......an excellent choice........someday I'll have one.....or a 3070 Express........

Gator KStenz
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 08 2007 at 11:15 | IP Logged Quote Gator KStenz

May want to call Pursuit about what trailer manufacturers to use.  The previous owner of mine had his built for the boat by Float On.  He said that Pursuit recommended two trailer manufacturers - Float On being one of them.  The trailer is dual axle and plenty of trailer for the boat. 

I think I remember him saying he paid $7000 for the trailer.  I know that's a lot, but I can't imagine you'll find a beefy enough trailer for a 2870 without paying at least $6000.

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version