View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Thompson Marine
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Thompson Marine
Subject Topic: My 89 Daytona 300 Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Moosin' Around
"Seaman"

Posted: September 11 2007 at 20:52 | IP Logged Quote Moosin' Around

Bought her in '99 and have been slowly restoring/upgrading ever since.

All new striping this year

Canvas new this year

Canvas new this year

New Shelf in the Galley this year

Edited by Moosin' Around on September 11 2007 at 21:20

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: September 12 2007 at 13:00 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

hey moosin--what's the beam on these boats?

454 Mags/Bravo1's (replants!)
Hudson,Florida
Back to Top Printable version View waterlogged's Profile Search for other posts by waterlogged

Moosin' Around
"Seaman"

Posted: September 12 2007 at 18:48 | IP Logged Quote Moosin' Around

Quote: waterlogged
hey moosin--what's the beam on these boats?

10' 2" beam, centerline length is 28' 8". Thompson used the gunwale length to call it a 30.  Even worse, the poor guys that bought the Daytona 310....It's the same boat with a bolt on molded look fiberglass swim platform.

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: September 14 2007 at 09:28 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

this 310 san tropez is almost 34 feet centerline length. (33 and about 8 inches)

that counts the pulpit and swim platform which are both molded in part of the hull...

Edited by waterlogged on September 14 2007 at 09:30

Hudson,Florida
Back to Top Printable version View waterlogged's Profile Search for other posts by waterlogged

Moosin' Around
"Seaman"

Posted: September 14 2007 at 20:08 | IP Logged Quote Moosin' Around

this 310 san tropez is almost 34 feet centerline length. (33 and about 8 inches)

that counts the pulpit and swim platform which are both molded in part of the hull...

Yeh, was looking on NADA at 1990 models and see the Daytona 310 went away. They must have taken a bunch of crap over it. Your boat is wider and a true 31. I call mine a 29. Do you know if Thompson ever made any inboard/v-drive boats in the '90s? I'm looking to move up in a year or 2 (Wife, 3 kids, pooch) and I'm thinking 33-36 express and no more stern drives.

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: September 15 2007 at 16:53 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

i feel your pain!

however, before you are done with outdrives....try something other then alphas.

you would love bravos or volvos they shift right and dont break nearly as often as alphas. wont call them trouble free, but wow what a differance!

outdrives handle better, get better fuel economy, and better speeds.

my next boat will have outboards on it--we want to trade into a 35 center console......on the other hand--i may be totally in love all over again depending on the performance of this set of 454 mags! cant wait!!!!

to answer your question: i dont think so---not even sure they used anything else them mercruiser.

question: i just noticed you are from ny....are you out on long island?----we just left there this morning--nice cool sleeping weather last nite.

Hudson,Florida

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: September 15 2007 at 16:57 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

never mind on the question---i see you are up on the lake.

Hudson,Florida

twoforhooking
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 16 2007 at 02:23 | IP Logged Quote twoforhooking

Moosin,

I'm looking into a new bimini top. I'm going to leave the existing camper back but I want to replace the bimini with front and side windows, similar to what you have done. Do you have any suggestions wrt to height? Now that you have your tops, would you change anything?

TFH

Moosin' Around
"Seaman"

Posted: March 02 2008 at 09:51 | IP Logged Quote Moosin' Around

Quote: twoforhooking

Moosin,

I'm looking into a new bimini top. I'm going to leave the existing camper back but I want to replace the bimini with front and side windows, similar to what you have done. Do you have any suggestions wrt to height? Now that you have your tops, would you change anything?

TFH

Just have it so it's even with the camper. I'm 6'1" and have no problems standing at the helm. The only thing I would add would be a zipper to the sleeve for the frame so the top could be removed easier. He put one on the back piece not sure why he didn't do it on the front.

darchie1
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 06 2009 at 19:27 | IP Logged Quote darchie1

Moosin!

Are you still around? I'm new to this forum and have read your threads and oggled over your boat, I have the same boat and have taken some ideas from yours for restoring mine, I purchased the boat from "two for hooking" a year ago, have not had much chance to enjoy it as work takes me away from home, my plan was to slow down when I bought the boat but it worked out the oposite, but in the meantime I want to do some cleaning up and redo the seating in the galley and aft deck to make it more fitting (literally)

Well if your still out there send me an ahoy mate

Dave

Moosin' Around
"Seaman"

Posted: June 09 2009 at 21:47 | IP Logged Quote Moosin' Around

Still here. Big upgrade for this year was air conditioning. Got a 9000 BTU unit through Ebay from Ocean Breeze AC for $1280 including all the ducting and seawater pump and fittings. Mounted the unit in the bottom of the hanging locker to port as you go down the companionway steps. New cockpit carpet too. I'll try to remember to get some more pics can't believe this is my 11th season in the old girl!

!

Edited by Moosin' Around on June 09 2009 at 21:50

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: June 10 2009 at 08:02 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

man---i'd love to do air--still a few projects down the roadf though.

have you been out much?

Hudson,Florida

Moosin' Around
"Seaman"

Posted: June 10 2009 at 21:08 | IP Logged Quote Moosin' Around

man---i'd love to do air--still a few projects down the roadf though.

have you been out much?

Went in the water 5/2, been down every weekend for at least one night. Caught a nice sunset last Saturday out on the lake

Edited by Moosin' Around on June 10 2009 at 21:09

darchie1
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 11 2009 at 02:02 | IP Logged Quote darchie1

Hey Moosin! good to hear!

I have been in Argentina for the past 7 weeks on business but dreamin of getting home and gettin my baby out to sea, meeting the Mechanic at the marina on the 20th to go over everything and service engines, got the guy to build me the seats all lined up and he is meeting me there same day for finalizing mods, aft deck seating will be much like yours (cooler fits in center) thompson logo, color scheme of course is different, new carpets and dash covering. then the next project will be helm and controls and all the teak refinished.

AC Sounds Great! will have to look into that, but I think I have my hands full this season, possibly a winter project (wife willing)

As soon as I have something (photos) worth posting I'll show you all how the new seating looks etc.

Ciao for now,

Dave

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: June 16 2009 at 08:22 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

you can check out the newest pic of the dash project over on my post(st tropez 310)

it's lookin kinda racy!

Hudson,Florida

FantasiaX
"Seaman"

Posted: October 15 2009 at 07:38 | IP Logged Quote FantasiaX

Beautiful boat, you have donbe a grrat job of restoring ( fixing ) I just purchased a Daytona 310 and am in the middle of restoring as well since our Fall season has statred and win ter is aroun d the corner. ( heated inside storage so it makes it easier ).

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 21 2009 at 18:18 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

this is a beautiful boat---it looks NEW!

Hudson,Florida

Moosin' Around
"Seaman"

Posted: March 20 2010 at 08:11 | IP Logged Quote Moosin' Around

Thanks for the compliments guys. Starting to gear up for season 12. New water pumps in the drives and a fresh coat of paint on them last weekend. My annual recoat with Sikkens on the swim platform and pulpit on tap this weekend. Other than a quick recoat of bottom paint (I use albative vs the hard stuff) no major projects planned so I should be able to put a lot of attention into the little things this year. Only about 3-4 weeks till she gets uncovered :) Here's a couple of pics from a an overnight trip to Oswego, NY last summer. On the Oswego canal between locks 7 and 8

Moosin' Around
"Seaman"

Posted: March 27 2010 at 17:18 | IP Logged Quote Moosin' Around

Teak! Just finished the annual recoat :)

Moosin' Around
"Seaman"

Posted: March 27 2010 at 17:27 | IP Logged Quote Moosin' Around

I did the the cabin door too this year. First time I've touched it in about 10 years. Those of you with this style door looking to add ventilation, I removed the solid backer from Thomson and cut spline grooves with a table saw, installed screen and trimmed with cheap pine 3/4" trim from lowes. I then cut plexiglass pieces and used cheap plastic retainer tabs to block off when needed for heat or cooling. I store the plexiglass behind the dinette cushions when not in use. Swim platform tip... Forget about the wood screws through the bracket into the platform. Use 1/4" stainless bolts and trim washers drilled through the platform and brackets. 2 in each bracket makes fore a much more secure and ridgid connection. Also your bracket mounts to the transom. Mine were one through bolt and one lag bolt in each bracket. With the screws in the swim platform these are subject to a lot of stress. Pull 'em and goop 'em up with 3M 5200 and reinstall. Doing this and bolting the platform down should help avoid water killing your transom :) I'll put up some pics of the pulpit with the windlass, chainplates, etc. installed tomorrow, covers all the so-so looking spots in the first pic. Chain plates and windlass brace were more Lowes originated fabrications. You really need a masters degree in afro-engineering to keep these old girls in tip-top shape

Edited by Moosin' Around on March 27 2010 at 21:03

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 28 2010 at 08:11 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

looking great!  nice idea for the mod too.

Hudson,Florida

Moosin' Around
"Seaman"

Posted: March 28 2010 at 10:30 | IP Logged Quote Moosin' Around

Thanks! Here's the pulpit all put back together. Supposed to be 70 here next weekend, really gonna have to fight the urge to go uncover it for a few more weeks. We've got a foot of snow in the beginning of April before!

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 29 2010 at 01:34 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

wow....bummer....

there's a SNOWPLOW behind that pulpit!

Hudson,Florida

FantasiaX
"Seaman"

Posted: March 29 2010 at 08:29 | IP Logged Quote FantasiaX

Looking really nice,, I did the same thing with my doors, removed the lats and installed smoked glass..looks great

Moosin' Around
"Seaman"

Posted: April 25 2010 at 15:27 | IP Logged Quote Moosin' Around

All cleaned up and ready for another season. Launch is 5/1 @ 0900 :)

Edited by Moosin' Around on April 25 2010 at 15:29

FantasiaX
"Seaman"

Posted: May 07 2010 at 15:00 | IP Logged Quote FantasiaX

Lookinn real good Moosin,, as usual I think you will shine on the water this summer.. Is your boat original paint or have you had it re-done ? and if yes , where did you get it donme,,I am actually in Valleyfield on the Lake St. Francis but can get your way easily by water.

Have a great season and maybe we will cross paths , or waves.

Moosin' Around
"Seaman"

Posted: May 08 2010 at 05:51 | IP Logged Quote Moosin' Around

Still the original gel-coat. If I were to ever have it painted it would be at Great Lakes Yacht Works in Sodus Point. I've delivered in there a bunch of times and they've showed me projects they're working on in various stages. They truely do impressive work.

Well she went in last Saturday trouble free and I forgot the camera, Doh! It was a beautiful 80 degree day. Today is supposed to be mid 50's, rain and 20-40 mph winds with 55mph gusts! I'll be heading down to check the lines and fenders and that'll be the extent of my boating this weekend, LOL...

Moosin' Around
"Seaman"

Posted: September 20 2010 at 05:24 | IP Logged Quote Moosin' Around

Going

Going

going

Going

Gone!!

End of the 2010 season. Came out Saturday 9/18, had her all wrapped up by Sunday.

Moosin' Around
"Seaman"

Posted: March 19 2011 at 06:44 | IP Logged Quote Moosin' Around

So it begins for 2011. Gonna start the annual teak recoat today. Picked up a new Standard Horizon DSC VHF (Fixed mount) at Gander Mountain a few weeks ago for $60! My old one works fine but nice to add the DSC and it can be flush mounted vs. the bracket. I added Garmin's inland lakes mapset to my Nuvi 500 and picked up a bracket and power supply for it. I currently just use a hand held in a bracket (I'll keep it installed as a backup)and it's taken me all over Lake Ontario with out a problem so I couldn't see dropping $500+ for a dedicated chart plotter. The Nuvi 500 is waterproof and I use it in the car, truck, snowmobile...so why not the boat, Lol! T minus 6 weeks to launch :)

moondog84
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 25 2011 at 00:35 | IP Logged Quote moondog84

Hello,

What do you treat the teak with?  Did you paint or clear coat the sides?  How do you maintain the color?  Thanks, Jon
Back to Top Printable version View moondog84's Profile Search for other posts by moondog84

Moosin' Around
"Seaman"

Posted: March 25 2011 at 05:28 | IP Logged Quote Moosin' Around

I use Sikkens Cetol Marine. Product has a reddish brown tint to it which is something they add as a UV inhibitor. They do make it in a "Natural" version which is more like a clear. I followed the mfg recomendations when I started using it and have always had good results. Basically the first time you use it you want anything else you have on there stripped off, sand the wood to your liking and apply 3-4 coats of the stuff with 24 hrs between coats. After that, it's just a quick scuffing with a scotchbrite pad and a maintainence coat once a year on the exterior stuff. Cockpit stuff that's only partially exposed I do about every 3- 4 years.

moondog84
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 25 2011 at 09:42 | IP Logged Quote moondog84

Great information, thanks!  So for the gelcoat, what do you use to keep the color from fading?  My Daytona 250 fades really bad, by the end of the season my once red boat is nearly pink.  Also, did you add the wood trim around your windshield or was it already there?  Looks like you also replaced your dash.  Boat looks awesome, I hope to get mine up to a similar standard.
Back to Top Printable version View moondog84's Profile Search for other posts by moondog84

Moosin' Around
"Seaman"

Posted: March 25 2011 at 21:36 | IP Logged Quote Moosin' Around

All I do for the Gelcoat is Rub & wax in the spring usually a mid season rewax and 303 protectant in between (Spray and wipe). I've used Turtlewax Ice the past couple of years for wax. Teak was already around the windshield. All I did with the dash was strip the decaling off. Far from poifect but the black looks much better than cracked faded gold decal stuff that was covering it. Heat gun, scraper, and patience......which I ran short of and hence it's not perfect, Lol!

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version