View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Sea Ray
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Sea Ray
Subject Topic: what sea ray to buy??? Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
alan7117
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 08 2007 at 17:37 | IP Logged Quote alan7117

HI EVERYONE, I AM A NEW MEMBER WITH MY FIRST POST.  I AM VERY SAD RIGHT NOW BECAUSE I SOLD MY 1989 30' 11' BEAM SEA RAY. I BOUGHT THIS BOAT 7 YEARS AGO BECAUSE AT THE AGE OF 51 I HAD MY FIRST SON AND WE PREVIOUSLY OWNED A 25' TIARA WITH AN 8' BEAM , I/O FOR 17 YEARS BUT IT POUNDED TOO MUCH IN LONG ISLAND SOUND FOR MY WIFE TO BRING OUR SON ON BOARD SO SHE "FORCED ME TO UPGRADE".  NOW MY SON WANTS TO GO WATER SKIING AND TUBING AND I WANT SOMETHING I COULD STORE ON A TRAILER (I DO HAVE A SLIP) AND AVOID THE OUTRAGEOUS WINTER STORAGE CHARGES.  I WAS LOOKING IN THE 24 TO 27' RANGE (TRAILERABLE) WITH AN OUTBOARD AND WAS SHOCKED TO SEE ALL THE CC AND WA'S WHICH MY WIFE DOES NOT CARE FOR ( LACK OF COMFORT).  I NOW FIGURE I NEED TO BUY AN USED I/O IN THE 24-27' RANGE. I WAS HOPING TO SPEND IN THE HIGH TEENS TO 20'S BUT SEA RAY MAKES SO MANY DIFFERENT MODELS IN THE 24 TO 26' RANGE I NEED ADVICE TO WHAT WOULD BEST SUIT MY NEEDS. WOULD LIKE FOLLOWING:  NEW AS POSSIBLE, CABIN, PULL TUBE, SKIIS, PUMP OUT HEAD, MOST COMFORTABLE RIDE AND BE ABLE TO HAVE A WINDLASS WHICH I DON'T SEE ON ANY 24'. I AND MY FAMILY WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE ON WHAT MODEL TO PURCHASE.  MY EYES ARE READY TO POP OUT OF MY HEAD SEARCHING THE INTERNET.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ANY ADVICE.

ALAN

Back to Top Printable version View alan7117's Profile Search for other posts by alan7117

STIHLBOLTS
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 08 2007 at 19:59 | IP Logged Quote STIHLBOLTS

Alan, you are asking for two broad of a range of usage to be able to find a single boat to fit those needs.  I believe a good medium might be a 260 Sundancer in the 2002-4 range with a 5.7 or larger motor. That boat should pull a tube with out too much trouble. Skiing behind that boat might be a little much.  You can check out Club Sea Ray and ask a few owners over there.

As a side note: All caps is considered yelling on forums.

Back to Top Printable version View STIHLBOLTS's Profile Search for other posts by STIHLBOLTS

alan7117
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 08 2007 at 21:48 | IP Logged Quote alan7117

Stihlbolts.

Thanks for your reply. I agree with it is hard to find a single boat that meets all my needs, that is why I am ready for a neck brace to hold my head up in front of the monitor.  I appreciate your side note. I guess you can teach an old salt new tricks.

thanks

Alan

Back to Top Printable version View alan7117's Profile Search for other posts by alan7117

markccalhoun
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 09 2007 at 07:01 | IP Logged Quote markccalhoun

Hi Alan, welcome;

I only paid $8000 for my boat in excellent condition. I have a 1979 26' Sea Ray 260 EX. It has a GM 350 engine (a Merc 260 HP). It has a narrow beam (8'). Moving, it cuts thru the water like a torpedo. But, at anchor it can roll like a drunken sailor in a gale. I have gotten sea sick from sitting inside when even small waves come and start it to rolling. If your wife doesn't like rolling either, get as wide a boat as you can trailer. Wider for stability.

My boat will hit 34 mph by gps. I pull a three person, sit in water toy behind my boat. The toy's drag, with three 50lb kids in it, limits it to about 25 mph. The kids are constantly yelling "GO FASTER" but it wont go any faster. A haven't ever tried to pull a skier with it but I don't think the speed prop would get a skier out of the water very good. But, I've never pulled a skier at all. I know you need to snatch them up out of the water, and my boat doesn't "snatch" very good. I have a prop with less pitch, that came with the boat for skiing, but then the boat will only go @23mph tops. It's really slow with that prop on. 

Also, at WOT my engine is consuming over 60 GALLONS per hour by the flow meter. Holding at @20-22 mph I can get it down to about 30 GPH, but still, that's @$90 an hour for gas. I averaged my MPG on a tank. I averaged less than 1.9 MPG. Gas is expected to do nothing but get more expensive.

If you want to ski, why not buy a used run-about that will pull skiers at 4 MPG or better. A boat with a 90-125 HP outboard shoud do nicely. Then buy a party barge or cabin cruiser for laying back. You could buy BOTH boats used for under $15,000-$20,000 and then you could bave the best of both worlds.

I may have to sell my boat just because I can't afford the fuel to run it much anymore.

Just some things to think about.

Mark 

Summer Time Dream
1979 Sea Ray SRV-260-EX
26' Express Cruiser
260 HP Mercruiser Engine
Cruise 26-27 MPH
Top Speed 34 MPH
Back to Top Printable version View markccalhoun's Profile Search for other posts by markccalhoun

fxjason
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 09 2007 at 17:57 | IP Logged Quote fxjason

Alan...

Why not just go for a New S.R. 215 Weekender? Has a lot of what you want and you can probably snag one somewhere in the mid to low $30k range... then, at least you would have a warranty...

Just a thought...

Back to Top Printable version View fxjason's Profile Search for other posts by fxjason

Elizabeth
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 03 2008 at 16:53 | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I dont know if this will meet all your needs, but I bought a Sea Ray 215 weekender at the boat show in 2004. It has a 260 hp i/o engine and when it was new could get it up to 40 mph. I have had adult jet skiers on the back, have taken as many as 6 adults and a few kids out for snorkeling trips in the bay, it has a little cabin where my daughter who is 10 can sleep overnight with me, it came with a bimini top and a windsheild that I only close when it gets cold. It's a little small for you family and I think they only make them in the 24 foot range now. However, the little cabin and the pump out I had installed will make it way more appealing to you wife and child and the performance has been great. Good luck.

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version