View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Newport
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Newport
Subject Topic: Any Newport 33 Owners Out There? Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
SeaWeeter
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 03 2007 at 11:54 | IP Logged Quote SeaWeeter

I've had my Newport 33 for 18 years now and am interested in trading information concerning updating and maintaining these boats and experiences other owners have had with theirs.

Back to Top Printable version View SeaWeeter's Profile Search for other posts by SeaWeeter

GUNDAHL
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 03 2007 at 20:13 | IP Logged Quote GUNDAHL

I've got you beat by a few years and you've got me beat by a few feet.
I bought my Newport 28 #373 in 1980.
I do all of my own maintenance and since my boat is in saltwater year round, it's never ending.
If there is anything specifically that you're interested in feel free to post it and if it's something that I have some knowledge of or experience with, I'll respond.

SeaWeeter
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 04 2007 at 20:13 | IP Logged Quote SeaWeeter

Well 20 years in salt water has got me beat even more as my Newport 33 has been in fresh water since I bought her.

I do all maintenance myself too, with the exception of keel repair. I only grounded on the the rocks three times in 18 years and was able to get myself off all times so the repairs were not extensive but necessary.

I have to say that Capital Yachts seems to me to have been the Chevrolet of boat builders in the value they presented for the money. They have thick hulls and although I would have liked to have seen bulkheads tabbed to the hull, mine has held up to 16 trips across Lake Ontario with usually the return trip on the nose into 25kt winds and 3ft choppy seas.

Have you had your hull painted since you've had your 28? I'm thinking about it for my 33, since waxing just isn't giving the same result anymore.

Back to Top Printable version View SeaWeeter's Profile Search for other posts by SeaWeeter

GUNDAHL
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 05 2007 at 19:37 | IP Logged Quote GUNDAHL

I agree with you about Capital Yachts.  They built solid boats but their attention to details and craftsmanship left a lot to be desired.  I think I spent the first year "detailing" my boat.  Even now, I still do occasional interior cabinetry work clean up.  But the price was right.

Re hull painting - I've not painted anything.  My boat's hull is white with a tangerine boot and sheer stripe.  Topsides are also white with camel brown non-skid.  With a little bit of care, white gelcoat appears to age very gracefully.  The tangerine stripes have faded, but the fade is pretty even and thusly not that obvious.  I do have a problem with the non-skid on the port side.  It's partially worn away in some areas, exposing the dark fiberglass underneath.  I've been thinking about painting the non-skid areas.

Although an LP'd hull looks great, it's far more fragile and less forgiving of bumps and scrapes than color impregnated gelcoat.  I think it's akin to painting stucco and to be avoided unless absolutely necessary because once painted it becomes a recurring task.

EPat
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 17 2007 at 22:24 | IP Logged Quote EPat

Well just call me Mr. in between.

I just bought a Newport 30, and being on the ICW, I get to use both fresh and salt water.  I thought the boat was in pretty good shape when I bought her, but on the trip hme (took 2 days) the fitting on the holding tank broke and I am now in the process of doing my first extensive maintenance as I try to replace a 30 year old tank with a new one (any hints?)

shekinah
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 27 2007 at 19:07 | IP Logged Quote shekinah

Hey all, check out the Newport Website that has owners manuals, 60+ do it yourself articles, boat photos and an owners list and an email newsletter list.  This was the best find for me when I bought my Newport 30 in 2002, and I have stayed a member ever since.  Great information and other members respond nicely to questions and always share anything they can about their boat.  This covers the Newport 27, 28, 30, 33, 41 as well as Gulf Sailboats, and Neptunes.

Join the email list with sailnet through the "Links / Newsgroups" buttons at the top of the page.

http://capitalyachts.info/

Good Luck!

Back to Top Printable version View shekinah's Profile Search for other posts by shekinah

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version