View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

CraigCat
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>CraigCat
Subject Topic: Any CraigCat Owners? Post ReplyPost New Topic
13 Pages « 9 10 11 12 13
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
bepar108
"Seaman"

Posted: October 16 2011 at 11:30 | IP Logged Quote bepar108

http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=12486574 41/21#21

Back to Top Printable version View bepar108's Profile Search for other posts by bepar108

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: October 16 2011 at 11:32 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

Thanks Bepar!

Here's a copy of what he is ranting about on the
microskiff.com site...same crap, different forum...this Guy
Erik is waaayyy tripping...

Erik's Rant--

There is not one of you that know anything about the
CraigCat. Must be the competition!! Still trying to sell you
over priced tubs? ay! The CraigCat is unbelievably
capable, has all of the comforts and stability of a much
larger boat for less than half the price. www.craigcat.com

Erik Craig
Craig Catamaran Corporation
mail@craigcat.com"

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: October 16 2011 at 11:40 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

I guess no one knows about the CC but the manufacturer. All of us owners are just a bunch of dummies! Now if I was competition I would build one with slightly larger pontoons that could handle a 50 hp motor. Think of how much fun that would be.

Edited by floridaman on October 16 2011 at 11:43

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: October 16 2011 at 12:00 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

Floridaman...exactly!

BTW way are you in Florida?...we are SW FL. between
Sarasota and Ft Myers on the Gulf...got a touch of Red tide
about 12 - 14 miles out in the Gulf..

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: October 16 2011 at 20:42 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Oceanview,

I am on the East coast North of Daytona beach. I boat on the Inter Coastal waterway. The Atlantic ocean has waves that scare me so I don't go out there. We have a big lake about 20 miles out but they have big alligators and won't go out there either with the CC. They have some big gators that are a lot longer than the cat. My sons have killed one that was 12 1/2' long.

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: October 17 2011 at 09:05 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

Floridaman-
We take the CC in the gulf and the waterways...gorgeous
here!

As we hold wildlife in high regard, I was wondering why your
sons would kill an Alligator?

Nice to chat with you, write back again...BTW where are you
originally from (up north)?

Oceanview

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: October 17 2011 at 09:28 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Ocenview,

I wish I was in the gulf where the water is cleaner and the waves are not as big. My sons believe in wildlife conservation as a matter of fact one of them has applied for a job with the Florida Wildlife Commission officer but did not want an assignment in the Everglades. He took a job instead as a deputy in our sheriff's department. Wildlife needs to be culled when they become over populated and Florida has over a million gators now so they open up for hunting about 3,500 licenses a year. I myself do not hunt and seldom fish in my old age. Florida is home to me for the last 41 years. I will retire whenever economy picks up in construction and spend more time boating. I will someday take my CC to your side of the state and visit Sanibel and Ana Maria islands.

SWSportsman
"Seaman"

Posted: October 17 2011 at 14:53 | IP Logged Quote SWSportsman

I'm pretty shocked at the postings here that are attributed to "Erik Craig." Is there any possibility that this is NOT someone associated with the company, but an imposter? I just cannot imagine someone shooting themselves in the foot to this extent. Here's a forum where absolutely everyone (even those with some minor problems) seem to be extremely pleased with the boat. That someone associated with ownership of the manufacturer would choose to post here in such a negative manner is truly bewildering!

I've only made one call to the company and spoke I believe with the elder Craig. I wouldn't describe him as cordial, but he was not profane. I asked about repairing a leak in one of my pontoons and his reply was that I just needed to buy a new pontoon. Not exactly the response I was looking for and a little further along in the conversation he did offer to sell me their repair kit. I chose to repair it on my own with readily available materials. Not a bad CS experience...but not great either.

I don't want to see this thread or this forum disappear, so it might be prudent at this juncture to ignore any further postings by "Erik."  It appears that we  will only hear the "company" line anyway.

Edited by SWSportsman on October 17 2011 at 14:54
Back to Top Printable version View SWSportsman's Profile Search for other posts by SWSportsman

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: October 17 2011 at 21:31 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

SWPortsman.  Like you, this situation with CC customer service is almost unbelievable.  Quite honestly, I wouldn't believe it if it didn't happen to me on several occassions. (I doubt an 'imposter' would be answering their phones!).

Anyway, continuing to dogpile on any specific person (or company) doesn't do any of us any good.  The facts are all very clearly stated in the previous posts for anyone to read and draw their own conclusions. 

It's really too bad that that I'm not impressed with Craigcat as a company but rather only the simple product that they produce.  I say "simple" because there is nothing you could not easily buy (E-Z stick steering,  Mercury remote controls, Sony stereo,  Cabellas fishing seats,  Walmart fishing rod holders, storage boxes etc) on your own.   The CC deck can easily be made in your garage so it seems the only proprietary part are the pontoons.  I've seen numerous electric or low powered CC's sell for REALLY low prices on Craigslist since they did not include a 25 or 30 hp engine.    You could easily "piece" one of these together for the cost of a used electric model plus a decent used 25hp  engine.  A total price of just a few "G's".  Possibly a little less.

The original reason I had contacted CC to begin with is I wanted an inflatable pontoon as it would easily handle twice the power (weight) and also act as a form of cushioning (suspension) instead of the hard 'smackdown' you can get when crossing someones wake.  I have painful joints and a little cushioning would be welcomed.

I had referred to the Zapcat, Dux, Gemini, Caeser and other inflatable catamarans before as they are just a bit longer at 13' and would be just a bit more stable due to the longer lentgh.  They do NOT have the same adverse yaw effects (or at least as noticeable) due to the fact that they ride on rails underneath the pontoons called highjackers.  When the boat is up on plane at speed, the highjacker rails keep the boat very stable and on track without veering due to the prop torque.  The rails counter the turning effects of the prop by providing a significant amount of resistance against it.  Look closely at the bootom of the pontoons in this pic and you will see the "rails".

I'm not wanting a full blown 'race boat', but the idea of the Craigcat using a much lighter (inflatable) pontoon that offers some cushioning along with the ability to carry a more powerful engine does appeal to me.  I think the CC can actually benefit by considering the use of some type of keel or rail along the pontoons to counter the prop torque (left turns!).  Possibly consider an inflatable pontoon as well to add some suspension.  Now that the boat will track better, provide a softer -cushioned ride, AND have more buoyancy to support a heavier motor, why not slap an Evinrude etec 40hp on it as well!   I'd buy THAT brand new!

Now don't get me wrong,  I'm not looking for a full blown race boat as mentioned, but the "major improvements" I've listed would be in my opinion...."major".   Not just switching from a orange to red ratchet straps and adding a drink holder!

Back to Top Printable version View Mr_Super-Hunky's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Super-Hunky

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: October 17 2011 at 22:30 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

I wonder if anyone have tried to attach some type of sufboard fins on the pontoons to counter the torque. The fins would also stop the drifting effect on turns. A few years ago on EBay I saw a CC for sale that had a 50hp motor attached. The seller said his only problem was the porpoising effect because the engine was too powerfull. I guess a 50 would almost lift the pontoons out of the water. He never said anything about the torque or the extra weight.

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: October 18 2011 at 00:31 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

If you think about it, the CC is sort of like giant waterskiis.  Instead of a boat pulling a giant 400 lb person around, the giant pontoon skiis have an outboard engine powering it with a couple of fishing seats mounted to them via a flexible deck.  The idea is brilliant, but can be improved.  Even waterskiis have a small fin mounted on the bottom rear to act as a mini keel and keep you tracking straight without slipping.

I think a more powerful engine on the current model CC available would not be safe and possibly end up busting the boat.  Its current design seems compatible with the power available.  Even  the new Evinrude etec motor could be pushing the structural limits since many of us have experienced getting our pontoons chewed up in the rear from the prop presumably in tighter turns under load.  This is when most of the 'twisting' of the deck must take place as this is where the most forces are exherted.   More power will only exacerbate these applied loads . 

For more power, I believe a complete new design would be needed.  More buoyancy to handle the weight of a heavier motor would be the first place to start.  The boat may need to be compatibly more rigid in proportion to the increased loads exherted on it as well.  Then again, the boat could be designed to 'twist' like a salolom skier without chopping up the pontoons.   Just accomplishing that would be a major improvement.

Back to Top Printable version View Mr_Super-Hunky's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Super-Hunky

Bayfront
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 22 2011 at 10:37 | IP Logged Quote Bayfront

Wow,  potential new Craig Cat owner here.  I've learned a ton from the previous 9 pages of posts.  I moved to the Chesapeake Bay in MD and have been staring at the bay since this past March with no way to get on it. I really didn't want a boat (bust out another thousand) and thought I wanted a wave runner.  Well, my wife has had a few bad experiences on the back of a wave runner (yes they were rogue waves in the Gulf and Turks & Caicos) and was thrown off.  Naturally, she doesn't support the wave runner idea!  I also thought about a Kayak for cruising and some fishing.  This past weekend I was visiting my Dad in Southport, NC and saw a Craig Cat for the first time sitting outside of a shop. To me, it looks like the best of both worlds for what I want to do on the bay.  Sometimes the bay can be very rough and I probably wouldn't want to take the CC out that day.  I can't believe that I live 30 minutes from Annapolis (some call it the sailing and boating capital) and the closest CC dealer is three hours away below Richmond, VA.  Anyway, I have my sights on the 2012 E2 in Key West yellow!

Someone should start a Face Book owners group.  Send me an invite!

Edited by Bayfront on October 22 2011 at 10:38
Back to Top Printable version View Bayfront's Profile Search for other posts by Bayfront

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: October 22 2011 at 10:53 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Bayfront,

Welcome to the forum. The main reason I like a CC over a wave runner is the fact that it does not dump you and it is so easy go get back in since the pontoons are only about 3 inches above the water. We had a friend that got thrown off his wave runner and could not get back on. He was floating for almost an hour holding on until another boat passed to help him up.

You might consider looking for a good used one on EBay and Craigslist since there are not too many things that can go wrong with them but the price depreciation is quite large for the first 2-4 years and you will find them at half the price of a new one.

Edited by floridaman on October 22 2011 at 10:57

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: October 22 2011 at 21:26 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

Hi Bayfront,
Welcome!
The Craigcat is the most fun craft we have ever had!! Bar
none!!

We (wife and I ) have had it out about a mile in the
Gulf...love this boat...had bigger ones..for instance ...21"
Seaswirl, 350 CI...sold it after 19 days...$100 a trip
in gas!...$300 a week! CC uses 3-4 gallons all day! = $10-
$13.00

and ...The CC is waay more fun!

If you need advice, this is where to find it...Craigcat in
Orlando can be difficult and expensive...we bought our CC
on Craigslist -- 2004 with less than 20 hours on
it...$3000.00 with trailer and extras...virtually brand new
boat...sat in the seller's garage as he was diagnosed with
skin cancer shortly after purchasing the boat new back in
'04...the Merc 25 HP is worth the $3000. alone!

This boat needs no plug, no bilge pump, no anchor...easy
to launch and retrieve from the water, easy to trailer...(you
can use a small car)

Welcome to the CC world...you'll love it...

Edited by oceanview21 on October 23 2011 at 08:57

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: October 22 2011 at 23:35 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Welcome to the forum Bayfront.  I think the yellow pontoon Craigcat would be really cool.  Especially with the Evinrude etec 30 efi engine.  The reviews on that engine are incredible.  My only concern would be the large  possible depreciation buying new as Floridaman had mentioned.  Then again, it's your money and if you think it is worth it, it is.   You may want to do a Craigslist search for yourself to see what is out there however.  I've seen VERY low hour boats only a few years old go for WAY less than new.

Notice to everyone:  Check your pontoon plugs!

Several members have expressed concerns over getting water in their pontoons and didn't know how it got in there.   Well, I was winterizing my boat yesterday and noticed that the pontoon plugs at the rear of the pontoons looked fractured, like fractured glass.  Upon closer inspection I had realized that these plugs have become very brittle and could crack open at any time.  Rather than wait for that to happen, I tapped the plug with the end of a screwdriver and sure enough the plug broke into crumbs.

I decided to remove both brittle plugs to inspect the inside of the pontoons for any water leakage.  Fortunately I didn't have any.

Not knowing what I'm going to do to fix the problem, I decided to temporarily place a transon plug (Wallyword $2.88) to plug it up.  Since these plugs are designed to plug the drain hole in a boat transom, they happen to work out fine for this application as the hole size is the same.  I may look to epoxy new plugs via HDPE epoxy at some point, I don't know as I just discovered this.  You may want to check the condition of your pontoon plugs just to be safe.

Herer is a pic of my new transom plugs replacing the old brittle factory ones.

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: October 23 2011 at 09:08 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

Bayfront~~ here's my CC...$3000.00 including trailer...I added high-back seats...

Pat from SC
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 23 2011 at 12:50 | IP Logged Quote Pat from SC

Enjoying my CC E2 Hybrid.  Using it on Lake Wylie near my home, and will be using it on Lake Lure in western NC in 2012.  The CC, car, golf cart, and 2 kayaks all fit in my 2 car garage. 

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: October 23 2011 at 13:39 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

Very Nice Pat!!...

Bayfront
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 23 2011 at 16:51 | IP Logged Quote Bayfront

Okay, it's time for me to start getting things in line.  What size receiver do I need on a trailer hitch?

Super Hunky and Florida Man - I realize the depreciation may be steep on a new unit.  I've never owned a boat before but I expect it's about the same as driving a new car off of the lot.
Back to Top Printable version View Bayfront's Profile Search for other posts by Bayfront

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: October 23 2011 at 17:15 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

Bayfront~~
You can choose several sizes...1 7/8" is common...

I think the new CC is overpriced...mine as equipped new
would be $11,300.00...you already know what I paid from a
deal I found on Craig's List...

Good Luck!   

cctowboat1
"Seaman"

Posted: October 23 2011 at 18:40 | IP Logged Quote cctowboat1

Depends on what yu get for a trailer will determine your ball size - it may be 2 inch
Back to Top Printable version View cctowboat1's Profile Search for other posts by cctowboat1

Bayfront
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 23 2011 at 20:22 | IP Logged Quote Bayfront

I was thinking about the standard trailer that Craigcat offers.

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: October 23 2011 at 20:23 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

I paid $2500 for a new (2003) leftover.  Zero hours on motor and it has the best power to weight ratio ever offered as well.  Mercury 112lb 25 hp 2 stroke.

Trailer was $199.00 from Harbour freight (modified axle position).

Still, if you feel the new boat is worth it, I'd say go for it.  That yellow is really cool and the etec motor is hands down the best ever built.

bepar108
"Seaman"

Posted: October 24 2011 at 08:12 | IP Logged Quote bepar108

Bayfront, welcome to the forum.  Undoubtedly, some of the people on this site were lucky to find real bargains in purchasing a CC.  If you can't find such a deal, may I relate my experience in purchasing a new "Catch-It" model CC this year.
Firstly, I highly recommend a test ride on a CC before purchasing.  It may not be your cup of tea, or, you may absolutely love it, as all of us do, in this forum.  In regards to which engine to choose with a new CC, the choices are the E-tec Evinrude engine, or the Nissan 4 Stroke engine.  I agree with Mr. S-H in the earlier post, that you can't go wrong with the E-tec, in fact, I have a 60 HP E-tec on my pontoon boat and am very happy with it.  If, as in my case, your local dealer has a Nissan 4 stroke in stock, and you are considering that boat, you will also be very happy with that engine as well.  I ended up with the Nissan because that is what the dealer had in stock, and am very happy with that engine as well.  Luckily, it appears, from my point of view, you can't make a bad choice.
I am sure that purchasing a boat this time of year will be an incentive for the dealer to give you a discount, and at the very least, include the trailer free of charge.  You need a 2" hitch ball for the trailer.
Please feel free to ask other questions on this forum.  Everyone here is very willing to share info. and experiences.  Good luck.
Back to Top Printable version View bepar108's Profile Search for other posts by bepar108

Bayfront
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 24 2011 at 20:04 | IP Logged Quote Bayfront

Bepar, thanks for the reply.  CC's are non existent  in this area.  There is a dealer 3-1/2 hours away that has 2010 new "Catch-It" model in stock.  I saw a 2007 E2 on Ebay over the weekend ($7,500 was the buy it now price and it didn't sell) and that one was a good 6 hours away.  I guess they just aren't that popular in the Mid-Atlantic.  I'll find some way to test ride one even if I have to make the road trip to do it.  These look like a blast!

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: October 24 2011 at 23:36 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Here is one of the most useful links to have.  A NATIONWIDE Craigslist search.  You can search the entire country or on the bottom right side you can click on your individual state (or neighboring states).

http://www.craigs-list-search.com/

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 25 2013 at 12:38

robsnyder20
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 25 2011 at 08:58 | IP Logged Quote robsnyder20

Hello All,

Wow the discussions have really flared up about the CC!  I personally never had the issues of the pontoons hitting the back, mostly because I never tilt the prop up that high.  Running in shallow rivers though, I could understand why one might tilt the prop up so high.  The only issue I have ever had with the boat is the steering, but to defend the product a little, most people have problems with their steering when running in salt water from time to time, and the craigcat is very, very close to the saltwater which means more problems may be evident. 

I think, craigcat is improving where there were issues in the past, I still think my E2 2004 with 25 hp merc is an awesome craft with a couple minor issues!  I didn't even know about replacing the bolts on it since I never got a manual with mine, but never had a bolt break yet!  I actually thought the nylon was molded into the pontoons and not replaceable if it did break, so I am thankful it is replaceable!

I personally had mine in very shallow water and as long as I am deeper than 16" of depth, I don't even kick up the bottom and I am almost 300lbs.  For the trailer, I replaced the PVC pipes with longer pipes and put the lights out of the water to keep them from going bad.  I like the new design of the trailer and the wood rails, but PVC is cheap and inexpensive to work with, took me a couple hours to mod it for better function for me.

The 25 merc motor has been super reliable for me, I did add a larger battery 425 CCA from autozone which works well, as long as I keep it charged, but its on its 4th year and still works ok as long as I start it up at least every couple of months (the motor does a good job of keeping it recharged).  I love the pull start which has been super handy and always keep a couple of spare spark plugs on me at all times.

The fuel consumption issue hit home as I took it out at WOT the first time I got it and ran out of GAS.  I would estimate more like 2- 2 1/2 Gallons per hour and appreciate Craig coming out and saying that it uses more than they advertised!  I know the new 4 strokes are probably better than the old 2 strokes are.

I also appreciate all the Stainless steel hardware that was put on our boats.  The only issue I have had is with the bimini top missing 1 Stainless  steel pin that I cannot replace due to rust and corrosion, waiting for it to rust the rest of the way thru to replace it with a stainless steel fastener that is expensive! 

CarolinaKitty
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 25 2011 at 09:08 | IP Logged Quote CarolinaKitty

Hey Bayfront,

Since I couldn't afford a new CraigCat, I looked on E-Bay and Craig's list for 2 years before I finally found the CraigCat that I liked and could afford.  Like you, there were none close to me here in S.C.   The one I found was 10 hours away in Florida.  Since it happened to be Valentines Day weekend, my wife and I made a weekend trip of it and took our time getting down and back.  Loved the weekend and love my CraigCat.  I have never regretted a minute of it.  Mine was 4 years old but had very very low hours on the 25 hp engine, had been garage kept, and came with lots of extras like a cover, and other custom CraigCat accessories.  Great deal all around.

Carolina Kitty

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: October 25 2011 at 17:31 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Robsnyder20,  Thanks for your positive input and experiences with your Craigcat. I'd like to respond few items you mentioned however just to keep things clear for other readers.

I personally never had the issues of the pontoons hitting the back, mostly because I never tilt the prop up that high.

I don't think any of us are chopping up the prop due to tilting the engine.  Most of us don't even have a tilt option and for the ones that due, I'd bet the majority of the time the tilt is used is when beaching the boat or launching it.  The general concensus is that the pin should be kept in the second hole at ALL times.  The prop hitting the rear of the  pontoons occurs when the boat twists/flexes.  This really only happens during very tight turns under load.  All other times when the boat is not flexing as much the prop easily clears the pontoons.

The only issue I have ever had with the boat is the steering, but to defend the product a little, most people have problems with their steering when running in salt water from time to time, and the craigcat is very, very close to the saltwater which means more problems may be evident.   My boat has never been in salt water, ever.  Being in salt water has absolutely no effect concerning the law of physics or adverse yaw (prop torque).  Running a boat (specifically the engine) in salt water vs fresh DOES have some unique issues, but the effects of advers yaw is not one of them.

I did add a larger battery 425 CCA from autozone which works well 

Unless you are not satisfied with the illumination of your lighting, adding a bigger battery  will only have the effect of adding more weight.  The Craigcat is VERY sensitive to weight (my planing time is nearly half when riding alone as opposed to riding with 2 people).  The original battery is more than adequate to start the engine VERY easily.  Remember, I don't even have a battery and my engine starts up on the FIRST pull every time.  More weight = slower boat!

I love the pull start which has been super handy and always keep a couple of spare spark plugs on me at all times.

Spark plugs (technically) don't go bad unless they are used under extreme conditions (running WAY too hot).  Pulling the plug and checking the tip (white, brown, black/oily) will give you a much better indication of how hot (lean) cool (brown) or rich (black/sooty) your engine is running.  If you run your engine at proper RPMs and check/clean your plug from time to time, you could theoretically use the same spark plug for many, many years.  A bad plug is usually not the source of the problem but rather the result of one....somewhere else.

I know the new 4 strokes are probably better than the old 2 strokes are.
  Yes and no.  They pollute the water less than the old 2 strokes but only at slower speeds when all the lubricating oil in the gas mixture is not being burnt up.  Remember, the new Evinrude etec motor ( EFI 2 stroke) gets BETTER fuel economy than even the newer 4 strokes and pollutes even LESS.  This is why that engine has been deemed the best engine ever built.  Read reviews and proffessional write ups on it.  It really IS that incredible of an engine.  The only drawback is the weight.  When it comes to weight, still NOTHING compares to the older Mercury 112 lb 25 hp 2 stroke.  If only that engine was fuel injected while still weighing 112 lbs.  Now THAT would be the ticket!

I also appreciate all the Stainless steel hardware that was put on our boats.  The only issue I have had is with the bimini top missing 1 Stainless  steel pin that I cannot replace due to rust and corrosion, waiting for it to rust the rest of the way thru to replace it with a stainless steel fastener that is expensive! 

A lot of the 'harware' on the boat is Aluminum.  Look at your engine mount, nylon bolt washers, splash guard hardware etc.  Lots of aluminum.  corrosion resistant, light weight aluminum.

Sorry if I put on the "anal engineer" hat again but I just wanted to clarify and support my claims.  It's what I do!

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: October 25 2011 at 18:21 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

I thought this was a good buy for someone looking for an almost new cat.

2011 Craig Cat Elite 2 - $8999 (Deltona,, Florida)

Brand new 2011 Craig Cat Elite 2 Model Craigcat
Just purchased it, paid $13,000, plus taxes from dealer. Will sacrifice for $8999 or best reasonable offer, or trade for land or motorcycle of equal value. If this is what you are looking for, you won't get a better deal.
I hurt my back and can't use it. My loss is your gain.
See all specs, more pics and videos at craigcat.com
Serious inquires only. Don't bother me with spam.
If the listing is here, it is still for sale.
I WILL NOT ANSWER EMAILS. *****EMAIL ME YOUR PHONE NUMBER***** if you have questions or want to see it. I WILL NOT ANSWER BY EMAIL.
I am in Deltona, if you want to see it.

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 25 2013 at 12:39

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: October 25 2011 at 22:45 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

http://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/2666155962.html

Here's a 'like new' 25 hp 2 stroke (light weight) in florida for $3500.  I'd bet you could even negotiate that price!

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 25 2013 at 12:41

bepar108
"Seaman"

Posted: October 26 2011 at 07:36 | IP Logged Quote bepar108

Mr. S-H,
Regarding the issue of adverse yaw, which you explain as the reason for difficult steering, I was wondering why the problem of hard steering doesn't happen to all of us.  The same for the prop hitting the pontoon on fully loaded boat making sharp turns.  Do some boats flex under that condition and some not?  It seems if your theories are "physics" related, they should occur to all the boats under the same conditions. 

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: October 26 2011 at 08:27 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Bepar,

I do not think we put the CC through the same running conditions as SH. I am always with my wife and loaded at almost 450 lbs with two coolers and extra 2 gal fuel so the tight turns at fast speed will not be so severe to cause the prop to hit the pontoon. Also the steering problem from yaw seems to not be the problem with every cat. When I bought mine it had the problem and was so severe that you had to hold on to the stick with great force to keep it straight.  I even bought an after market trim tab to bolt onto the existing tab but after I cleaned the old grease and rust off the steering cable and adjusted the trim tab in the back it fixed the problem. I can now let go and it steers straight like a car. But then I do not do the kind of riding that SH might be doing on a lighter load. I usually just go on a leasurely ride down the river, park on a beach and picnic.

Edited by floridaman on October 26 2011 at 08:35

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: October 26 2011 at 08:32 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

To all CC owners on the forum...

I am cosidering the idea of securing a "Mid Boat" center
board on my CC to see if it eliminates the steering issues
and "sliding" in turns...and the other minor issues
associated with not having a keel...

We used to own a "sunfish" sailboat...which has a "dagger"
or "centerboard" in the center of the boat (it's removable)
to help with the tracking of the sailbaot etc, and it also
increases port to starboard resistance for a stronger force
from the sail...

I'm thinking that this same centerboard idea may make a
huge difference on the CC, as it will then effectively have a
keel...maybe a 12" long piece of fiberglass or plexiglass
that slides thru the deck (thereby removable for towing
etc) to be positioned between the pontoons about halfway
from bow to stern...any comments?

shuterking
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 26 2011 at 08:36 | IP Logged Quote shuterking

florida, you mention you run under alot of weight,i do also ,   first where do you keep the extra gas?.   i run with a trolling motor and a heavy battery for it, 2 side coolers  and myself and my wife and we re not tiny.i installed a roundprop guard ,and added elec tilt so i wont hit pontoons  by mistake and i feel that slows me also .   i checked my speed the other day with gps  and i was maxed out at 17mph with the 25 merc.  ide like to hear what you and other do with full loads.
Back to Top Printable version View shuterking's Profile Search for other posts by shuterking

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: October 26 2011 at 08:59 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

Heres' the Centerboard or Dagggerbaord from the Sunfish I was referring to...

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: October 26 2011 at 09:23 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

Heres a side view of the Sunfish sailboat with the Centerboard (removable for shallow water or towing)

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: October 26 2011 at 11:50 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Quote: shuterking
florida, you mention you run under alot of weight,i do also ,   first where do you keep the extra gas?.   i run with a trolling motor and a heavy battery for it, 2 side coolers  and myself and my wife and we re not tiny.i installed a roundprop guard ,and added elec tilt so i wont hit pontoons  by mistake and i feel that slows me also .   i checked my speed the other day with gps  and i was maxed out at 17mph with the 25 merc.  ide like to hear what you and other do with full loads.

I keep a small gas can behind the passenger seat but I will probably switch to a 9 gallon low profile tank that is available at several stores on internet. I am considering an electric tilt because I have a hard time tilting the motor up and down due to physical problems. I always beach the cat and get the lower end stuck on sand. My wife has to jump out to put the motor back down. I just need to tilt about half way without it going into the lock position. I bought a small tach/hour meter from EBay but have not had a chance to install it. I was curious as to what rpm's I am really running.

I saw an ad on Craigslist for a 25hp 2008/4 stroke Merc  with warranty till 2013 but no power tilt for $1200. I spoke to Eric at CC to ask what lengh shaft my CC was and he said the 2005 25 hp Merc was 15". I am in the office and could not measure my motor to check. Eric said the new CC are using 20" shafts and claims that they have re-designed the pontoons to carry the extra weight. Eric said the only similarities between the old and new model is in the general design configuration of the CC. He invited me to test ride a new CC and compare the difference.

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: October 26 2011 at 11:56 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Oceanview,

I do not know if your theory would work but we won't know untill someone tries. Improvement to products are made through experimentation and you are the one with the experience on the center board.

shuterking
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 26 2011 at 12:08 | IP Logged Quote shuterking

florida,  i mite look into the bigger tank my self,  the purchased the tilt after one trip and trying to raise motor. just needed  to add prop guard.let me know if you find tank and take a pic,   i dont have much room  because of trolling motor battery
Back to Top Printable version View shuterking's Profile Search for other posts by shuterking

]
] ]
13 Pages « 9 10 11 12 13

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version