View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

CraigCat
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>CraigCat
Subject Topic: Any CraigCat Owners? Post ReplyPost New Topic
13 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
newfields
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 13 2011 at 19:51 | IP Logged Quote newfields

Does anyone have any solutions to reinforce (or replace) the craigcat trailer's rear PVC pipes?

When I bought my 2006 used 3 years ago, one side was broken off. Today the other one broke.

Not the best design in the world having a rigid piece of plastic that can (does) get bumped.

Short of getting a different trailer (SH had an interesting one mentioned earlier), I am wonder if someone has suggestions on how to replace this with something that is more reinforced.

Thanks!
Back to Top Printable version View newfields's Profile Search for other posts by newfields

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: September 14 2011 at 02:24 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Newfields, if you want to replace or repair your pvc guide poles you may want to use shedule 80 pipe instead of the schedule 40 used.  It is much thicker and stronger.  An electric supply house or a wholesale swimming pool supply store would have it.

Also remember I am just using a $199.00 modified Harbor Freight trailer with an $8.00 sheet of plywood bolted on for a deck.  It works fantastic.  Just move the axle back to the balance point and back off just a bit to add the proper tongue weight. A couple  tie down straps and you'll be set.

Edited by Mr_Super-Hunky on September 14 2011 at 02:26
Back to Top Printable version View Mr_Super-Hunky's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Super-Hunky

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: September 14 2011 at 08:27 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

Newfields~~
A very easy and permanent solution is by way of Home
Depot...
The problem with my rear guide poles is that they were too
short and the CC was floating over them at the
launch...when I pulled the boat/trailer up the launch, the
boat would settle it's weight on the top on one side of the
guide poles and snap it off!...so I bought pvc coupling (2)
and pvc pipe of the same size (2" on my trailer") and made
my rear guide poles about as high as the storage boxes on
the CC)...you will need pvc glue and a saw to cut the pvc
(but you might already have the saw)...anyway, this all
cost me under $10-$12...and was very easy to repair...a
side benefit of the higher poles is that they are now easier
to see when backing down the launch...GoodLuck!

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: September 14 2011 at 13:31 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Also remember that pvc pipe is NOT very strong and becomes brittle due to the ultraviolet rays from the sun.  If you must use pvc pipe I would strongly reccommend using sch 80 and then paint it to put a protective coat over the PVC so the sun wont make it brittle.

In addition, extending the length of the guide PVC pole will obviously make it easier to see but the increased height will also cause increased leverage which will allow the pole to be much easier to break off in the future should it get bumped.

Why not simply bolt a piece of plywood onto a flat utility trailer?  as long as you strap  up the boat to the trailer to pull it out of the water you will be fine.  It does'nt matter if it is crooked or not centered perfectly on the trailer because you can very quickly align it in the parking lot and then strap it down nice and tight.  Remember you can move the boat around on the trailer with just the push of a finger.  To be honest, the PVC guide poles are nothing but a pain in the butt since they are such a poor choice of matterial used and don't really serve any purpose since you can easily straighten the boat out on the trailer once you pull it out of the water.

I broke my original PVC poles off my first outing but never replaced them as they made no sense to begin with.  I simply back the car and trailer down the boat ramp, float the CC onto the platform, hook up the front ratchet strap and pull the boat out of the water and up the ramp.  I then park, straighten out the boat (10-15 seconds), put on the rear ratchet strap and I'm done.

If I absolutely MUST have guide poles I would weld or bolt  them onto  the trailer and just be done with it.

Back to Top Printable version View Mr_Super-Hunky's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Super-Hunky

CarolinaKitty
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 14 2011 at 13:44 | IP Logged Quote CarolinaKitty

I find tat the PVC guide posts are best because the PVC does not mar the boat's finish when launching and loading.  I have found them to be touble free. 

I did however extend mine up about 3 feet higher on each side of the CraigCat trailer.  This makes it much easier to see when backing the empty trailer down the ramp.  I also placed a piece of reflective tape around this PVC guide post at a level where the water should be to effectively load the boat.  That way, at a glance, I can tell if I have backed down far enough into the water.  Since every ramp is different, this may vary however, with the mark on the post, I am right on the money every time no matter the ramp.  The reflective tape also is a safety plus since drivers behind me see it long before they reacy me. 

My PVC posts are schedule 60 which allows for a little flex which I find good particularly if there is a slight cross wind or current when loading.  The PVC gives and flexes back to normal.   I have had PVC guide posts on my other boat for over 10 years and it has not gotten brittle.  A simple wipe down with some glass cleaner usually keeps them as white as new. 

In my opinion, it is hard to beat the effectiveness and cheap costs of the PVC.

Carolina Kitty.

shuterking
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 22 2011 at 10:51 | IP Logged Quote shuterking

i added  elc tilt to my 2006  craig cat,   i had the problem of the prop hitting when  it was not all the way down,i added a round prop guard to the motor and i solved the problem,i did lose a little speed,  my question is  how did they over come the problem on the newer models with tilt?
Back to Top Printable version View shuterking's Profile Search for other posts by shuterking

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: September 22 2011 at 11:02 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

I do not think they have come up with a solution to that problem. I recall a discussion on past postings that talked about cutting the inside corners of the pontoon but I do not know how you would repair that or if it would affect the performance. I am wondering if setting back the motor mount would work. I spoke to Craig and he advised against installing after market tilt and trim like a CNC and he said it does not work. He might just be trying to sell me a newer model with the new motor

shuterking
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 22 2011 at 11:10 | IP Logged Quote shuterking

thanks for response,  tilt works great  and the round prop gaurd is perfect ,  just slows speed a little,   just could not imagine any thing that could be done to stop prop from hitting.     i love my cat,    i have had to replace plastic  nuts once and put in a new steering cable last year  just because  i did not want to take a chance of failure......i just love the looks people give me on the water ....they dont realize sound travels on the water.......
Back to Top Printable version View shuterking's Profile Search for other posts by shuterking

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: September 22 2011 at 11:22 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

The only things I would have liked to add to mine would be a tilt and trim and a quiet four stroke motor. I cannot hear the Sony boom box that came with it when going at fast speeds and then it blasts you when you slow down. By the way what brand was that tilt and trim that you added and where did you get it?

shuterking
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 22 2011 at 11:27 | IP Logged Quote shuterking

i had riverhaven mrnia in homosassa  install,  not sure type  ill look, have the merc 25  on it

bepar108
"Seaman"

Posted: September 23 2011 at 07:17 | IP Logged Quote bepar108

my CC has a 30 hp Nissan with electric tilt.  There is a safety feature on the power tilt which prevents you from tilting the engine up without first pressing a button located on the battery box.  Due to the problem of the prop. hitting the back boards if tilted, it is recommended not to tilt the engine while running.  I use the boat on a lake which has many locations to beach the boat, so I find myself shutting the engine off and then tilting the engine as I coast on to the beach.  Other than beaching, I am not sure what the reason would be to trim the engine on this boat.  I don't believe it would help planing faster if you tilt the engine.  I know the manufacturer is aware of the prop. hitting the back boards when tilted, but there seems to be no design cure for this problem.  Having said that, I really do enjoy the power tilt feature for my application.
Back to Top Printable version View bepar108's Profile Search for other posts by bepar108

shuterking
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 23 2011 at 07:47 | IP Logged Quote shuterking

i run real shallow flats and us my tilt when running if it starts to get real shallow, or when ideling and it gets real shallow,the only draw back it with the round prop guard  it limits me to almost no steering when the motor is  tilted andrunning .the prop guard or weed guard attaches to the lower unit around prop  so it never lets the prop hit the boards

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: September 25 2011 at 01:01 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

My tilt pin is always kept in the same position (2nd hole) and never changes.  It is the optimal position for my applications.

I do manually tilt up the motor when beaching the boat which requires you to manually remove the tilt pin.  The whole process takes only seconds and just boils down to personal preference.  Sort of like having (or not) a garage door opener.  Both methods work out great.

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: September 25 2011 at 02:01 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

SH,

Why do you have to remove the pin? I never do to tilt the motor up. There is a spring loaded cam that locks the motor up when tilted. My big problem is unlocking and suppoting the weight of the motor to let the motor back down.

I have a medical problem that limits my ability to twist and reach behind to tilt the motor when beaching so I will eventually get an after market unit. Searching the internet this is the cheapest I have found so far:

http://mercuryperformance.com/jack-plate-cmc-pt-35-electric- hydraulic-trim-tilt-tht35cdp-p-175945.html

Edited by floridaman on September 25 2011 at 02:08

CarolinaKitty
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 28 2011 at 09:27 | IP Logged Quote CarolinaKitty

I too never have to remove my tilt pin to tilt the motor up.  I simply push on the release lever on the side of the engine and the motor can be tilted up manually.  Push the release again and the motor can be lowered.  I have tried my motor with the tilt pin in several different locations, ie  1st, 2nd, and 3rd hole.  I have found that the boat handles the best in the 2nd hole based on my apoplications, ie the weight of myself and the equipment I usually carry with me.  This may differ for you. 

As for the prop hitting the pontoons when tilted,  I never tilt the motor up with the prop spinning.  I accept that as a limitation of the boat's design.

Even with it's limitations, I love my CraigCat!!

robsnyder20
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 28 2011 at 10:52 | IP Logged Quote robsnyder20

To Mr_Super-Hunky,

if you look on the motor if you have the 2 stroke mercury engine, there should be a hard plastic black piece that will push up about a 1/2 inch, thats what catches the tilt rod.  What your doing may work so you don't have to push on it, but on one of my other outboards years ago, a 1.2 HP gamefisher, I lost it (as fell out of my hands into brackish water and costs me almost $20 to replace it.  Im sure its a lot more for this size engine and much more HP.

CraigCat
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 10 2011 at 11:08 | IP Logged Quote CraigCat

I welcome all questions.  Forums have a lot of bad information because the only expert is the manufacture.  If you are having a problem it can be solved, if you are DIY watch what you do, there is a reason why things are done a certain way.  Forums are also a good avenue for the competition to spread bad rumors because they cannot sell there tubs!!

www.craigcat.com
Back to Top Printable version View CraigCat's Profile Search for other posts by CraigCat

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: October 10 2011 at 15:11 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Hello Erik and welcome to the forum.

There is a consensus amongst all of us that we absolutely LOVE our Craigcat boats due to their uniqueness and fun (not to mention ease of operating and owning).  There are however several items which keep coming up amongst CC owners which I would like to publicly address.  All of which has happened to me as well.

1.) Difficulty with left turns (stiff EZ stick)

2.) Nylon thru rods break

3.) Propellor cuts into end of pontoons during tight turns.

4.) Boat does NOT consume 1 Gall/hr of fuel but rather 2-21/2 galls/hour W.O.T. (To be fair, I have never read that the CC consumes 1 gall/hr at full throttle, just that it
"consumes 1 gall/hr" with no explanation of engine RPM's.

Also, I have succsessfully repaired a hole in my polyethylene pontoon using  3M's Scotch-WeldTMStructural Plastic Adhesive DP-8005  designed specifically for HDPE  polyethylene with 100% perfect results as opposed to having to purchase a new pontoon which I was told I needed to do.  (As well as being sweared at numerous times!)

If you want to join our forum and give us 'factually based" information like WHY left turns are very difficult (to some at times) and WHAT we can do to avoid our props chopping up the rear pontoon ends as well as MFG suggested updates/improvements like posting a bulletin suggesting everyone replace their brittle nylon rods, then we would LOVE to have you on our forums.  Unfortunately, I AM aware of the previous forum started a few years ago that was issued a stern warning from CC to cease and desist the forum (to control the information?) as well as literally being sweared at by Bud Craig who called me "the anal engineer type" simply because I had asked the compound of the rotomoulded pontoons.

We, (or at least "I") would love to support your company since I love my boat so much but it can be hard to do when the company I am trying to support simply  denies that the prop chops up the pontoons, difficulty with left turns doesn't exist, replacement rods and "hardware" (some aluminum washers and nuts) cost over $50.00.  Even the CC seats (which I DID purchase) cost nearly $300.00.  (Cabellas sells very nice seats for $39.00 which several members have already posted pictures of).

Erik, I have spoken with you personally numerous times over the past several years and each time I can honestly say "YOU" have been very helpful.  I don't always get "YOU" when I call and when I don't, things turn ugly VERY QUICKLY.  When I start asking very specific questions, the tone goes from very defensive answers to literally, yes I said LIERALLY getting sweared at for being the "engineer type".  This is totally unacceptable as I am just someone who has purchased your product and am simply trying to understand the issues I am having with it.

To be totally honest, the only good info I have ever gotten from Craigcat was to use the Powertech prop for ultimate performance.  The Comprop option was never offered to me as an option.  I had to find that out on my own as well as perform my opwn testing.

The "bad" info from Craigcat was the following:

. Boat only uses 1 gall per hour (NOT true at W.O.T) it is 2-2 1/2 at 5500-6000 RPMs.

. Prop should NEVER chop up rear pontoon ends.  I agree, they shouldn't, but they do.

. Suggestion of replacing old nylon rods with new nylon rods.  This could be viewed as practicing your mistakes.  Tip: Aluminum!

. Defending the difficult left turn issues like it doesn't exist.  I have the issue and my engine turns effortlessly to the left (using only my pinky finger) when on the trailer so stiff cable reasoning goes out the window.  Tip: research effects of adverse yaw.

Sure, many of us have had (and are still experiencing issues on an ongoing basis) yet we still LOVE out little CC boats.  All I am asking is that the MFG as well as the customer work together to solve these issues instead of denying or debating them.  There is a reason used Craigcats (many times only a few years old) sell for half (or less) of their new selling price.  I bought a brand new 2003 "leftover" in 2007 for $2500.  Zero hours on the engine and the boat was in exellent shape.  A quick search on the Nationwide Craigslist as well as a price-paid survey of our members will support and confirm my claim.

I am once again willing to work with Craigcat and welcome a positive and supporting role as an owner of your product.  All I ask is that I am treated with respect when I call with questions and am given accurate and factually based information in return.  Under these conditions we can have a long and amicable relationship.

Best regards.

S-H

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: October 11 2011 at 08:40 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

S-H
Great letter! I agree totally...Thank you for writing it!

Erik
I have also been tagged "the anal engineer type" and cussed
at while conversing via the telephone, when only trying to gain
info about my CC !!...I feel as if the CC corp. has the lame
idea that since your company designed and built the boat, that
your the only ones that know anything about it, and that
everyone else are more or less IDIOTS!!   very bad attitude -
grow up, please!...except for this "customer service" (Ha!), I
love the CC...Thanks! Oceanview21 - SW Florida

CraigCat
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 11 2011 at 13:36 | IP Logged Quote CraigCat

CraigCat prides itself for great customer service.  Anytime you call Craig Catamaran Corporation you will be talking to a Craig, not an unknowledgable sales rep.  We hear the same words everyday "I love my CraigCat" and that goes for all model years all the way back to 1990.  CraigCat does, like everything else, get better every year.  Our new 2012 E2 Elite is unbeleivable!  Our accessories are first class, custom made for us.  Sure you can find cheaper stuff at Walmart but the quality is not there.  Its kind of like customizing your Bentley with a JC Whitney catalog. 

Our fuel economy standards are an average for a days use, not wide open throttle.  You will actually use less than one gallon per hour on the average.  I was actually out for 3.5 hours and running my cat hard 2 weeks ago and only used 2.5 gallons of fuel.  We do recommend changing the nylon hardware out every three years as stated in the owner's manual.  The good new is back in 2010 we came up with a stainless steel retrofit kit.  All CraigCats built from 2010 or later use the new SS system.  I would not use aluminum!

There really is no reason to tilt the engine for normal use.  For best performance the engine should be run in the full down position only!  If your prop cuts into the hulls during tight turns you are not doing something right. CraigCats only have a 12 - 13" draft!  The only reason to tilt the engine would be for beaching, flats fishing and trailering.  For us fisherman fishing the flats I tilt my engine up and use the trolling motor. And yes just like certified auto mechanics.  You should be receiving good information from qualified people.  Here is the link for our owner's manual - http://craigcat.com/models.html - You will find the link at the bottom of this page.

If you are experiencing steering problems you probably have a bad cable, damaged or bad prop, and or trim tab problems.  The only reason for a bad steering cable is simple, lack of maintenance.  Even with our new 2012 model the boat can be steered with three fingers.  CraigCats have undergone major improvements over the years (just like everything else).  The early models were not meant for electric tilt and were built for engines with a max of 25hp and a max weight of 115lbs.

www.craigcat.com
Back to Top Printable version View CraigCat's Profile Search for other posts by CraigCat

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: October 11 2011 at 23:47 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Erik, I'm going to be totally honest here by saying that I am very much holding back my true impressions of the Craigcat Corp.  I will say that I have NEVER delt with any other company in which I called to ask a question and I was immediatly told by the owner that I seemed like the "anal" engineer type.

Thinking that someone was possibly was having a bad day, I just let it go.  About 3 months later I called the Craigcat corp again simply to ask if Craigcat had ever considered using an inflatable pontoon (such as the world class Zapcat does).  My IMMEDIATE reply by the owner of the company was to call me an idiot for even asking the question.  Seriously, this is EXACTLY what happened.  After that second call I realized that there may be a possible medical condition for these immediate outburts so I let it go once again for the second time in a row.  If this is the type of customer service you pride yourself on in this economy you may wish to re-think your strategy.  It didn't work for me.  Actually, I felt betrayed because nobody realized while cussing at me that I'm the guy that just paid  $300 for new seats and $50.00 for some new plastic bolts.  I AM (or at least was) the type of customer who wants to support the dealer even if it means spending a little more.  I may decide to discontinue doing this simply because I have been stung twice in a row. 

You make mention to numerous UNSUPPORTED claims once again.  I'd like to ask you to elaborate on your replies....  as stated by Erik Craig:

"Forums have a lot of bad information because the only expert is the manufacture"

..Actually, forums can possibly contain some bad information.  They also DO contain a lot of useful and helpful information.  The information contained within a forum has nothing to do with the MFG.  Also, why can "only" the MFG be the expert?  Why can't someone else who fully understands a concept  repeat it or apply it?  What special powers/rights does the MFG have to be the "only" expert?

Anytime you call Craig Catamaran Corporation you will be talking to a Craig, not an unknowledgable sales rep

Why do sales reps have to be unknowledgable?  My dad was a sales rep for CBS broadcasting for over 30 years.  He holds a D.Eng degree! (Doctor of Engineering)

Our fueOur fuel economy standards are an average for a days use, not wide open throttle.  You will actually use less than one gallon per hour on the average.l economy standards are an average for a days use, not wide open throttle.  You will actually use less than one gallon per hour on the average.

Let's be honest here .  The Craigcat boat goes 25-30mph TOP SPEED.  That's not blistering fast.  I'd think that most people who own the Craigcat open it up (to 25 mph) once in a while.  Heck, you have to go around 10-15 mph just to get on plane.  Not a huge amount of variance in speed is even available.   Sure you will get better gas mileage if you go slower but you don't say that anywhere in years of advertising the 1 gall/hour claim.  I guess you could say that a Corvette gets 60 mpg as long you don't go over idle speed.  You leave it up to the customer to figure this out.  In my case, your claim (which I stupidly took at face value) ended up in me swimming to shore after about 2 1/2 hours of use due to running out of gas.

We do recommend changing the nylon hardware out every three years as stated in the owner's manual.  The good new is back in 2010 we came up with a stainless steel retrofit kit.  All CraigCats built from 2010 or later use the new SS system.  I would not use aluminum! 

Why do you even recommend replacing the nylon hardware when you know they fail?  what about the guy who's fishing a mile offshore and his bolts break!   Also, what is your factual basis for not recommending aluminum bolts?  They are stronger than nylon, they are much lighter than steel and corrosion resistant as well.  Sort of like the aluminum washers that come with your hardware kit!  Note:  I have been using aluminum bolts for several years now.  With the use of Locktite, I have never needed to retighten them and they look virtually brand new only fading a little from nearly a chrome finish to a dull grey.  My nylon bolts on the other hand got very brittle, turned yellow and eventually most of them had broken.  Only one had not.

If your prop cuts into the hulls during tight turns you are not doing something right 

Okay, I give up.  What is it????  PLEASE let us know.  Should we NOT take tight turns, only very slow ones?  I see no mention of "how to turn correctly" in the manual so I just follow what the manual says.  Push stick forward for right turns and back for left turns.  Why is it US that is doing something wrong??  And if it is, what is it?   Telling a group of customers (many whom have chopped up rear pontoons) that we must be doing something wrong doesn't do us much good.  Are we to just try and figure it out on our own like everything else?

If you are experiencing steering problems you probably have a bad cable, damaged or bad prop, and or trim tab problems.  The only reason for a bad steering cable is simple, lack of maintenance.  Even with our new 2012 model the boat can be steered with three fingers.

Once again, simply not true.  My cable is spotless.  I lube it and wipe it down thoroughly every season.  My boat steers to the left almost effortlessly but only when on the trailer.  This is because there is no physics of the principals of adverse yaw being applied due to the fact that the propellor is NOT turning.  My boat also steers to the left with very little effort when in water!.....but NOT moving.  It is only under the load of the propellor turning that the adverse yaw effect takes affect.  A trim tab WILL accommodate for this effect just as it does with a propellor driven airplane but it comes at a cost of increased drag due to more resistance.  This equals slower speeds at all power levels. 

CraigCats have undergone major improvements over the years (just like everything else). 

First of all, not everything else has  improved over the years.  Many things have gotten cheaper and don't perform like their predecessors.  I would like to know specifically what has improved on the Craigcat over the years.  Two 11' 4'' rotomolded polyethylene pontoons with a fiberglass laminated wood deck, a couple of fishing seats and an engine.  What specifically are these "major" improvements?  What makes them "major"?   Heck, my 2003 Craigcat came with a 25 hp Mercury outboard which has a far better power to weight ratio than anything currently offered.  25 hp at only 112 lbs.  Not too shabby for not being a current model!

Erik,  I have said this before and I will say it again.  I absolutely LOVE my little Craigcat boat.  It is easily one of the most enjoyable possessions I own.  Sure it has its limitations but it does exactly what I want it to.  The problem that I and others have had is the lack of accurate information from the MFG (You and your dad) as well as being treated like we did something wrong when we call  (which we are prompted to do).   I want SO BADLY to support you and your company but if I get burned one more time it will be strike three and the last.  I simply will not support a company that treats its customers like that.  My character won't allow it as at some point you must have some respect for yourself. ( I have still never received any apologies btw).

Anyway, moving forward, here's the deal.  Instead of blaming the customer for doing things wrong that they are not aware of, how about offering helpful suggestions instead to fix the problem?   How about advertising real world fuel consumption usage instead of best case scenario idle/slow speeds?  How about being respectful to customers who purchased your products and supported your company instead of swearing at them for no reason?  How about not making ridiculous claims like only the MFG can be an expert.  (Does the designer of this boat hold an engineering degree?  A doctor of engineering perhaps?  What qualifies the designer of this boat to be the only expert?)

Please work with us as I'm sure that we all so badly want to get along.  I know I do.

Edited by Mr_Super-Hunky on October 12 2011 at 00:03

tcm12
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 12 2011 at 00:06 | IP Logged Quote tcm12

i could not said it better my self, i've had 3 craig cats , i also had bad
phone calls , love the boat not the a company that treats its customers
like that.
Back to Top Printable version View tcm12's Profile Search for other posts by tcm12

bepar108
"Seaman"

Posted: October 12 2011 at 07:43 | IP Logged Quote bepar108

I too, would like to voice my discontent with customer service at the CC company.  Instead of CC proudly stating that when calling, you will always be answered by a "Craig family member", I suggest that CC spend some of "our" money and hire a professional customer rep. who can refer us to a professional CC tech., who can answer our questions without denigrating and insulting us.  I bought a new "Catch-It" CC recently, and as all of the aforementioned forum members, I absolutely love my CC, but absolutely disdain Mr. Robert Craig for his foul use of language and denigrating attitude, when trying to answer a question I had.
Mr. Super-Hunky: I totally agree with all that you wrote regarding this issue.  I believe that the info. gotten from the members on this forum has been nothing but outstanding and helpful.  I also agree with the fact the CC makes false MPG claims.  I never drive the boat at full throttle, and have never gotten 1 gal./hour mpg.
Lastly, in regards to your propeller hitting the hull on tight turns, and the steering problem.  I do not have an issue with either, so it may be that your issues are specific to your boat in one way or another.  I read in several posts about where the pin is placed regarding to the engine tilt position.  CC recommends that the  hole that they place the pin at, should be the only one used.  If yours is in that correct position, then I can't fathom what else can be causing your issue, but it is obvious at least, that your engine is not configured low enough or changes its angle when you make that sharp turn.
  I look forward to reading everyone's future posts, and I think that you, Mr. HS, have been too kind in how many times you are giving CC company a chance to change its customer relations policy.  I will avoid giving them any further business till their customer relations policy changes.
Back to Top Printable version View bepar108's Profile Search for other posts by bepar108

CarolinaKitty
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 12 2011 at 08:56 | IP Logged Quote CarolinaKitty

Since I have never had to call CraigCat to discuss any lengthy issues, I cannot comment on the customer service.  While I have never had problems with the prop hitting the pontoons, the fuel usage is a little bit more than estimated.  As wilth all boats, I think this is subject to the load on the boat. I carry extra fuel just in case.  My steering has always been easy each way.  If my trim tab setting slows me down by a couple of MPH is say enjoy the scenery.  If I was in a hurry to get somewhere, I'd buy a speedboat.  I have replaced the nylon bolts with SS as recommended by CraigCat.  No issue here as it was an easy job.

I believe that no boat can be everything to all.  The CraigCat is the most fun I've had on the water in over 40 years of boat ownership.  I respect it's limitations and just have fun!!  I have travelled over 80 miles in mine in one day out.  Never a problem.

BTW, mine is a 2006 Catch It Model with a 25 HP 2 stroke Mecury.  I get 1.5 - 2.0 GPH and can do 25 MPH with only me on board and 20 MPH with my wife and I.  Good enough for me.

I love my CraigCat and as for all of you on this forum, please continue with the great advice and comments.

sea.dog
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 12 2011 at 09:56 | IP Logged Quote sea.dog

I have had two craigcats, first one was a 98.  I now have a 2005.  Never had a problem calling craigcat.  I just joined this site because I read the last few comments and felt something had to be said.  Every time i call i get the info i need.  I have ordered several parts over the years with great advise and service.  Love the cat. Easy to use does just about anything I need it to.

CraigCat
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 12 2011 at 10:14 | IP Logged Quote CraigCat

This is to superhunky directly.  I believe I know where this is going!  You are the type that complains and nit picks everything.  Cannot win with you!  I answered your questions and it still was not good enough.  We are very professional and I would appreciate it if you keep it that way.

www.craigcat.com

shuterking
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 12 2011 at 10:31 | IP Logged Quote shuterking

boy this has turned into a bashing  by    stated by posters  (the anal engineer types")

ive never had  prop hitting pontoons when its in the down position,  and steering is fine.....im sure ill get bashed  but   we have the owner of cc on forum discusing issues,youd think  all parties could act like  professionals and talk about things without going for the throat.....this post was good untill the last few.....

Edited by shuterking on October 12 2011 at 19:39

newfields
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 12 2011 at 10:32 | IP Logged Quote newfields

Erik,

I don't know Mr_Super-Hunky in any way, except through his exceptional posts on this forum.

If you review back through the 8 pages of this thread, you will find that he has been the most prolific AND helpful poster on this forum. I personally have learned quite a bit from his posts.

Your comment of "You are the type that complains and nit picks everything.  Cannot win with you!" is not only untrue, but is indicative (IMHO) to some of the issues which were brought up. He is an evangelist for your product, despite having some customer support calls which he didn't feel were handled as politely as they could have been.

I personally have had limited dealing directly with Craigcat. When I did call, I had no problems with ordering a part or two.

My impression is that its obviously the product is near and dear to your company (as it should be). There have been several different reports of similar comments during phone conversations if certain technical aspects of the Craigcat are questioned. Whether its a sensitive issue or a disagreement of whether the technical questions are some how critical of the design, I am not sure.

One problem with venting on the Internet is that postings are around for a long, long time. Permanently actually because Google caches everything.

Between that and the instant word of mouth of social media these days (twitter, facebook), it tremendously benefits companies to strive for "above and beyond". Venting and name calling quickly gets around and can permanently damage an other wise stellar reputation.

Whether you choose to agree with posts here (or on other forums), is your choice. It does however reflect on a business.

I personally love my Craigcat. Quirks and all. Mr_Super-Hunky obviously does as well, and has said as much in one of his more recent posts.

That's just my 2 cents. I will continue lurking as most viewers do on this forum. I was very happy to see you come on board a few days ago as I knew there were some outstanding questions. My hope is posting won't take a personal attack nature to them, instead feedback can be solicited and then weighted on its merit. This is not a Craigcat bashing forum by any means. Its quite the contrary.

Back to Top Printable version View newfields's Profile Search for other posts by newfields

bepar108
"Seaman"

Posted: October 12 2011 at 11:02 | IP Logged Quote bepar108

For those of you who have called CC directly and have had no problems regarding customer service, I am glad for you.  But please do take into account that there is a significant number of customers who have encountered terrible language and denigration when calling. If you call just to order a part, then I am sure the discourse is brief and direct.  But when calling about an "issue" or an explanation for how to do something, then you may encounter the wrath that I and others have experienced.  So if any of you feel that any of the forum members' posts became too personal, please consider how awful it was for myself and others when Mr. Craig became very personal in his wrath. 
Other then that, I also want to commend and thank, Erik Craig, for posting on the forum, and giving us information.  I am sure all of the members feel the same, after all, there could never be too much good information.  We are all here because we really like our CCs and enjoy sharing experiences and information.

CraigCat
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 12 2011 at 11:16 | IP Logged Quote CraigCat

Lets face it you are the competition and your goal is to criticize our product and our company because we continue to sell CraigCats and you have products you can't sell.  Your product does not stack up to the superiority in any way shape or form to the CraigCat.  YOUR ARE SO OBVIOUS!!!!!  Trashing us will not make your product better, nor will it lead to better sales for you.  You need to make a better product!

www.craigcat.com

bepar108
"Seaman"

Posted: October 12 2011 at 11:56 | IP Logged Quote bepar108

WOW!  

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: October 12 2011 at 14:40 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Quote: CraigCat
Lets face it you are the competition and your goal is to criticize our product and our company because we continue to sell CraigCats and you have products you can't sell.  Your product does not stack up to the superiority in any way shape or form to the CraigCat.  YOUR ARE SO OBVIOUS!!!!!  Trashing us will not make your product better, nor will it lead to better sales for you.  You need to make a better product!

Erik,

What company are you referring to as competition?  I do not know of any other company that has a similar product.

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: October 12 2011 at 19:30 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

Erik- your boat is fun...your are not...to me having to deal
with your company has become an unnecessary
obstacle... as I can modify, maintain and repair my CC
without you...
I personally purchased my high-back replacement seats
from K-mart for $54.00 each and am completely statisfied!,
as oppossed to your price of $300.00, and the seats I
bought are better...
Like most of us here, I can certainly maintain my boat
without your parts or service...which I will do.

I called your offices and spoke with Bud on two occasions
and got pretty much the same unprofessional treatment
that SH and a couple others here encountered...I am not a
competitor...I am an owner of a pre-owned CC that I
bought on Craigslist- saved thousands!...you have further
educated me on you and your companies attitude towards
CC owners...I would never buy a new boat from you and
will never rely on your Orlando office for any advice, parts
or service...Good boat, BAD customer service...you really
need to look at the situation and how it will cost your
company sales, parts & service $$...and how your are
creating a bad reputation for your self!...so far my CC
creates a lot of interest from non-owners and I have been
a strong promoter of the CC...from now on, however, you
are forcing me to include a blurb about "extremely bad,
and hostile customer service practices", when an interested
non-owner wants to converse about my CC...and I WILL
include that part...FYI to ponder.
My advice...change your attitude before you piss off more
potential new sales, parts & service customers...Good Luck
with that!

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: October 13 2011 at 00:46 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

WARNING: VERY long reply ahead.

Due to the fact this thread thread has become very spirited and passionate, I am going to be very specific with my replies in hopes to keep the communication amongst everyone as clear as possible.  My goal is to have absolutely NO miscommunication at all amongst anyone.  Just factual data/information that can be supported and verified.

POTENTIAL CRAIGCAT CUSTOMERS:  This is intended specifically for you.

Despite receiving  unbelievably poor customer service, being cussed at (numerous times) by the owner of the company as well as receiving  innaccurate advice and claims from the Craigcat MFG Corp,  you would think that I'm about to tell you to RUN, don't walk away from this company.  To be honest, I should be telling you that.  But I'm not, here's why.   I'm not the type of person who cuts off their nose to spite their face.  In all honesty, even with the almost ridiculous treatment that I have received from Craigcat (and many others as stated in the majority of the replies)......I highly reccommend anyone considering buying a craigcat to do so.   As much as this rubs me the wrong way..(supporting a company that is disrespectful to its customers), it is a fact that I have had so much fun on my Craigcat boat I absolutely love it.  To be honest,  you would be missing out on a ton of fun if you didn't own one.  Really!  It is not worth the fun you would be missing if you didn't buy this boat even if you end up with the type of treatment many of us have received from this company.   My best tip to you.  Buy the boat, new or used and do everything possible to not have any problems so that you don't even need to call the MFG.  This boat is EXTREMELY low maintenance.  Almost NO maintenance.  A couple of plastic pontoons, a deck with a couple fishing seats and an engine.  Lube a few cables every so often and maintain the motor per the the MFG specs (changing gear oil and such) and you'll be set.  I cannot think of any other boat made that is so simple to operate and maintain.  Also, as mentioned many times, the fun factor seems unbeatable compared to any other watercraft I have used..

Now I'd like to answer specific claims directed towards me from Erik Craig.  Once again to keep the communication extremly clear, I will put Eriks comments in bold (verbatum) and then answer his specific comment or question underneath.  No miscommunication.  None!

This is to superhunky directly.  I believe I know where this is going!  You are the type that complains and nit picks everything..

Erik how could you possibly know what type of person I am?  You claim I nitpick everything.  Other than my issue with the Craigcat Corp poor customer service I have received, how could you possibly know if I nitpick anything else?  Are you psychic?

Cannot win with you.

Erik, I really hope there is no "winner" or "loser" in this as this is NOT meant to be a contest.  This is a discussion of Craigcat boats owners in a forum on the internet (The Hull Truth).  Nothing more.

I answered your questions and it still was not good enough.

Your answers to my questions would certainly be good enough if I could only find them.  Where are they?  Could you please tell me where you posted them?  I would hate to accuse you of not answering  any of my questions (as clearly stated in previous replies) only to find that you did post them and I couldn't find them.  I would be guilty of falsely accusing you and I certainly don't want to do that.  So if you would be so kind to let me know where all the answers you claim to have answered are.  Just to be extra clear, I will repost some of the questions all clearly asked above that were followed with question marks a second time.

1.) Why the difficulty with left turns when when E-Z stick is almost effortless to pull back either on the trailer or in the water so long as prop is not turning?Why do you

2.) Why do you not suggest using aluminum thru bolts?

3.) Why do many of us have chopped up rear pontoons?  What are we doing wrong?

4.) Why do you clearly continue to misrepresent to true actual (factual) real world fuel consumption figures when  there is not a single person on this thread who has gotten 1 gallon/per hour fuel consumption under an average daily use?

5.) Why do you tell your customers (at least myself) that the HDPE polyethylene pontoons cannot be repaired?  Are you not aware of the various brands of epoxy mfgs that make high strength epoxy specifically formulated for high density polyethylene?

6.) In your opinion, why does the resale value appear to be so low after just a few years on the Craigcat boat.  Many of us have purchased used ones in good or better shape for only a few thousand dollars.  As mentioned, a quick Nationwide Craigslist/Ebay search will provide you with real-time, current day resale values...(or at least asking prices).

7.) Why is it that so  many Craigcat owners who have called the Craigcat corp end up getting cussed at?  What are we as independant individuals who have no relationship with one another doing that so upsets your company that you end up swearing and hanging up the phone on us. (To be fair, I left out the fact earlier that after Bud Craig called me an "idiot" for asking if they ever considered using an inflatable pontoon, he then hung up the phone on me!).

8.) Why can the only knowledgeable "expert" be the Mfg?

9.) Why are all sales reps unknowledgeable?

10.)  What are the "major" improvements to the craigcat boat.  Why are they considered to be "major"

Again, my intent is only to get an official reply to these questions from the MFG directly.  I once again pre apologize for not being able to find the answers as you have clearly said you had answered all of them.  I just cannot find them.  Dopey me!

We are very professional and I would appreciate it if you keep it that way.

If you are very proffessional as you claim, I personally haven't had the privilege to see that side yet.  Hopefully my opinion will change in the future.  I can assure you that I will act respectful towards yourself and anyone else on this forum at all times. There is absolutely no reason not to.

( I pre-apologize for the following ALL CAPS/BOLD quote.  Sometimes people don't realize that using all caps along with bold print is viewed as screaming on the internet.  kind of ironic actually if you re-read the above comment regarding proffessionalism!).

This most recent claim is so absurd, I had to briefly stop typing as I 'literally' rolled on the floor in an attempt to recompose myself.  It took me nearly 10 minutes to do so!

Actually Erik, let me tell you about myself.  While it may seem obvious, or "SO" obvious as you put it that I am the competition, I can assure you I am not.   I am retired and  was forced to do so 4 years ago due to having chronic Lyme disease.  You see Erik, I cannot walk very well due to very badly damaged joints throughout my entire body as a result of contracting Lyme disease 30 years ago. There is no known cure for this horrible debilitating disease at the chronic level and I am just trying to live my life to the fullest as best as I still can.  This includes a daily regimine of high dosage antibiotics (Doxycyclene/Azithromycin) as well as periodic treatments of chemotherapy (Mepron/Atavaquone) in an attempt to keep the bacteria (spirocheets) under control.  I have difficulty with moving my major joints (hips, knees, shoulders) and take prescribed pain meds just to be able to function somewhat normally.     Becoming a commercial boat mfg would probably be the absolute  last thing on my list of things to do if I was still able to move around freely without pain.  Unfortunately I cannot.   I can't help but laugh (not at you, rather the concept) when you go on to say that "your product (meaning mine) does not stack up to the Craigcat"....what product?  I don't have a product!  Even if I did (which obviously I don't) how would you factually know it couldn't stand up to yours?  Have you done an immaginary head to head comparison test against something that doesn't even exist? 

I honestly cannot believe I am actually reading these kinds of statements from the boat mfg themselves!  (Are we on some internet version of candid camera or something because this makes absolutely no sense to me).  None.  nothing whatsoever!

"WOW" is right!

Anyway, how do I end this reply as I can honestly say this is the most unusual situation I have ever seen on a forum.  Especially involving the actual mfg in the discussions.

Well, I hope I have been as clear as possible to anyone/everyone reading these replies. As I've said before, my ONLY goal being a member of this forum is to interact and exchange information with others which whom I share a common interest. (The Craigcat powerboat).  I have clearly stated my opinions and experiences with the Craigcat boat as well as real world results over numerous outings with it. This is all I can do.  Hopefully, all of us can interact with each other on a rational/realistic level in the future in which our comments and reccommendations are based on real world and factual information.

I personally believe everyone is entitled to express their own opinion at any time.  Just please don't represent them as facts when they are clearly not.

Respectfully directed towards everyone in this forum.

SH.

Edited by Mr_Super-Hunky on October 13 2011 at 01:02

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: October 13 2011 at 06:49 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

I welcome all questions.  Forums have a lot of bad information because the only expert is the manufacture.  If you are having a problem it can be solved, if you are DIY watch what you do, there is a reason why things are done a certain way.  Forums are also a good avenue for the competition to spread bad rumors because they cannot sell there tubs!!

I will put my two cents in on this conversation.

To Erik Craig,

You should have stopped your post at "I welcome all questions". The sentences that followed just opened up some other issues that others have had with the MFG's customer service. I myself have not had problems with your company because I have bought parts but have not really had much conversation with you or your dad. If you keep defending your position on your replies you will be doing more harm to your company than good. New readers  now will find out about problems with your company's poor customer service that otherwise would have been limited to a few owners that were not complaining about it in this forum. Your post has now brought up these problems to every member.

It gives me the impression that the MFG does not want any modifications to their product by owners which is not progressive thinking. If someone else finds a better way to improve the performance of the CC you should be open to suggestions and possibly adopt them going forward in future products. The steering problem seems to constamtly come up and replacing the cable might not be the only solution. Because of this hard steering problem I was able to buy my cat from a previous owner that developed a rotator cuff problem with his left arm and could no longer steer the very stiff stick. I was able to fix that problem so I now do not have a steering problem and could enjoy using my CC.

Another member posted installing an after market tilt and trim device that seems to be working but when I spoke to someone at the MFG they said absolutely not it would not work. How does the MFG know this unless they have tested one with the after market unit attached. I will not buy a new CC with the newer motors because nothing is wrong with my old 25hp Mercury motor except it lacks the tilt and trim feature. There are a lot of older cats out there that could use this feature and maybe as a MFR you could recommend or even sell a unit that would work.

Let's keep future conversations to resolving some CC problems and postings on how we all enjoy using our cats.

bepar108
"Seaman"

Posted: October 13 2011 at 08:57 | IP Logged Quote bepar108

In the spirit of letting the dust settle from the above thread, but hoping that all of you have a chance to post your feelings about it, I thought I would bring up a different subject matter.  The subject came up, in the last few posts, regarding the high cost of accessories for our CCs.  With winter approaching, I just pulled my CC out of the water and winterized it.  I also keep my CC covered when it sits on the trailer.  If any of you are interested in covering your CC and looked at the prices CC corp. charges for covers, you will see that they have two kinds.  The cheaper cover they sell is $65.  If this is the cover you would prefer to look into, consider that the same cover can be found in Walmart in the automotive dept.  It is the car cover #4, and sells for about $24.  I have been using it for about 5 months and am very happy with it.
Also, there is an hour meter sold at CC that can be bought online for a fraction of the cost.  Just do a google search and you can find it on several websites.  I bought one, and must tell you that it is as simple as pie to install and is proving extremely accurate and has been invaluable in helping me determine maintenance intervals.

3 DOG
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 13 2011 at 14:44 | IP Logged Quote 3 DOG

Oh behave! Let's face it, we are all anal engineers or we wouldn't be trying to tweak what shouldn't be tweaked.  If I were the mfg I wouldn't want the consumer to change the boat as he is going to turn around and sue me if he gets hurt.  Keep swaring like a sailor Erik as it may just prevent you from taking a swing at one of these guys at a boat show.  Had the CC since 2002 and after all the same issues that everybody keeps bringing up I still use it every chance I get. 
Back to Top Printable version View 3 DOG's Profile Search for other posts by 3 DOG

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: October 16 2011 at 10:53 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

3 Dog-
Cussing, name calling and swinging at people...yeah,
okay...that'll impress your customers!...LMAO...

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: October 16 2011 at 10:58 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

I,for one, think this forum is more geared for the regular guy
that owns a CC and wants some help from time to time and
advice from other owners that have made modifications
etc...or when you have a question about your CC, you can get
an answer from someone that knows the answer cause he
dealt with the same question or issue already with his
boat...Not for Craigcat the corporation to be ignorant and
defensive about poor customer service habits that he and his
staff use with the regular guy/gal on here!...Just saying...

The more Erik says here, the more he is damaging his
company...Ha!...Love it!

bepar108
"Seaman"

Posted: October 16 2011 at 11:23 | IP Logged Quote bepar108

There is a forum online called microskiff.com which seems to be a fisherman's forum.  If you click on this link: http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=12486574 41/24   
you may find their thread regarding CC interesting, and guess who showed up on that thread with a very familiar comment.

]
] ]
13 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version