View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

CraigCat
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>CraigCat
Subject Topic: Any CraigCat Owners? Post ReplyPost New Topic
13 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
newfields
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 07 2011 at 18:36 | IP Logged Quote newfields

Thanks Floridaman. I did some searching and it looks like he had those aluminum bolts made.

From what I can figure, they are 5/8 in. x 12 inches long.

I found these at Home Depot which seem to fit the bill:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202249578/h_d2/Produ ctDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I would of course need to get the nuts and washers for each.

Just wondering if I am on the right track. Homedepot has a very forgiving no questions asked return policy so if I don't hear anything in the next 24 hours, I may go that route.

Side note: spent a fantastic afternoon with my 6 year old son fishing today. Caught perch and a good size large mouth bass. It was heaven for both of us :) (Until the nylon bolt popped on the way back of course! We limped back easily though).

Tim
Back to Top Printable version View newfields's Profile Search for other posts by newfields

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: August 07 2011 at 18:52 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Just make sure they are stainless. The ones I bought from CC had a sleeve over the thread of the bolt about an inch long so that the thread does not tear into the pontoon since the bolts are a little smaller in diameter than the nylon bolts. They also come with the rectangle washer and self locking nut.

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: August 07 2011 at 19:38 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Newfields: Glad to hear you had a great day fishing and made it back okay.

I am using aluminum "all thread" which comes in many different lengths.  You may want to buy a 6 foot piece or so and cut it into the lenghts you need  to replace all of your bolts.

$105.00 is robbery for a few nylon bolts.   What a rip!  I paid a  little over $3.00 (three dollars!) for a short piece of all thread at Ace hardware they had leftover.  Check for a specialty nut and bolt store in your area as everybody carries all thread.  You can obviously reuse your washers if you had the aluminum rectangle ones.  Just get some all thread (aluminum) and some nuts and your good. 

To be honest, even the cheap steel all thread in the correct size would work as long as you waterproofed/coated them with a good coating.  They would weigh a little more but probably would not be noticeable at all and if you coated the steel all thread correctly, you could replace all of your bolts on the super-cheap.

FYI, I DID in fact replace one of my former nylon bolts with just a plain (untreated/coated) piece of steel all thread at one time since I did not have enough of the aluminum ones and I didn't trust the remaining nylon one.  It worked out perfectly.  Of course it would have eventually started to rust if I left it on forever and never treated it but it does work.

I love my CC but they seem to want to hose you on replacement parts.  I paid nearly $300.00 for the nice embroidered CC seats but probably would have been just as happy with the Cabellas $49.00 ones.

Edited by Mr_Super-Hunky on August 07 2011 at 19:40
Back to Top Printable version View Mr_Super-Hunky's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Super-Hunky

newfields
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 07 2011 at 20:15 | IP Logged Quote newfields

Mr. SH,

Do you remember if it was 1/2" or 5/8"?

The nylon bolts appear to be 5/8"

Back to Top Printable version View newfields's Profile Search for other posts by newfields

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: August 08 2011 at 08:36 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

SW Sportsman--some post back , we were discussing our
"new seat" install and the bimini being closer to head level
due to the increase in height of the seat...I meant to tell
you but you may have already figured it out....the "front"
frame of the bimini is height adjustable....all you have to
do is loosen the set screw on the clamp and slide it higher
up the vertical stationary frame pole...both sides, of
course...and make then an even height...when you retract
the bimini (closed), you will find that the front bimini frame
is further from the back frame, but no big deal...also you'll
need to re-adjust the black hold down strap (make it
longer) before attempting to clip it to the boat, as the front
of the bimini is now further away (higher) from the deck...I
adjusted mine to about 2 fingers from the top clamp...looks
better than all the way up (High) and it still retracts
nicely...also, i found that it takes away some of that
cramped feeling around the controls that I had with my
right arm/shoulder!...also we now have better visibility of
other boat traffic when the bimini is open ...on the side
flaps, cause they are now higher up...try it out and see if
you like the adjustment...if not , you just loosen up the set
screws and put it back the way it was, or for that matter,
set it to any height that works for ya'...hope this helps!

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: August 08 2011 at 08:53 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

newfields
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 08 2011 at 18:40 | IP Logged Quote newfields

I just finished my DIY bolt replacement project. (One of my nylon bolts finally broke yesterday).

Here is how it turned out.

From HomeDepot:

6 - Stainless Steel 5/8 in x 12 in threaded rods ($6.57 x 6 = $39.42)

12 - 5/8 in. steel nuts (.35 x 12 = $4.20)

I already had all of the washers and square washer spacer thingie.

Total $43.62

Total labor time on my part. A few hours due to the pain in the... unthreading and unthreading of those 12 inch bolts.  Easy job to do, just a bit time consuming.

She's already back in the water and literally stronger than ever. I am with Mr S.H. on this one: what on earth was CraigCat thinking putting nylon (plastic) bolts in such critical places? Since sun deteroriates the strenght of that over time.

If they were a car manufacturer, there would be a major recall to replace those. It is a liability to Craigcat. It turns out TWO of my nylon bolts on the passenger side had snapped. Only the front one (out of three) was still in place. That was the side my 6 year old son was sitting on. I shudder to think what would happen if that one had given loose as well...

Tim

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: August 08 2011 at 18:43 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Quote: newfields
Mr. SH,

Do you remember if it was 1/2" or 5/8"?

The nylon bolts appear to be 5/8"

It must have been 5/8 as it was identicle in size (diameter).

Back to Top Printable version View Mr_Super-Hunky's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Super-Hunky

cctowboat1
"Seaman"

Posted: August 09 2011 at 13:25 | IP Logged Quote cctowboat1

Quote: newfields

I just finished my DIY bolt replacement project. (One of my nylon bolts finally broke yesterday).

Here is how it turned out.

From HomeDepot:

6 - Stainless Steel 5/8 in x 12 in threaded rods ($6.57 x 6 = $39.42)

12 - 5/8 in. steel nuts (.35 x 12 = $4.20)

I already had all of the washers and square washer spacer thingie.

Total $43.62

Total labor time on my part. A few hours due to the pain in the... unthreading and unthreading of those 12 inch bolts.  Easy job to do, just a bit time consuming.

She's already back in the water and literally stronger than ever. I am with Mr S.H. on this one: what on earth was CraigCat thinking putting nylon (plastic) bolts in such critical places? Since sun deteroriates the strenght of that over time.

If they were a car manufacturer, there would be a major recall to replace those. It is a liability to Craigcat. It turns out TWO of my nylon bolts on the passenger side had snapped. Only the front one (out of three) was still in place. That was the side my 6 year old son was sitting on. I shudder to think what would happen if that one had given loose as well...

Tim

Back to Top Printable version View cctowboat1's Profile Search for other posts by cctowboat1

cctowboat1
"Seaman"

Posted: August 09 2011 at 13:29 | IP Logged Quote cctowboat1

I do assume you also used stainless nuts? of course you did, just hought I'd mention it

I'm glad to see so many people helping other CC Owners in many things.

I started this forum awhile back and am so happy that it has been helpful to many people

Back to Top Printable version View cctowboat1's Profile Search for other posts by cctowboat1

cctowboat1
"Seaman"

Posted: August 09 2011 at 13:31 | IP Logged Quote cctowboat1

Feb 2007 I started this forum, about 4 1/2 years ago

cctowboat1
"Seaman"

Posted: August 09 2011 at 13:58 | IP Logged Quote cctowboat1

Can someone explain to me how to post pictures

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: August 09 2011 at 14:42 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Quote: cctowboat1
Can someone explain to me how to post pictures

How do you post pictures in this forum?

1.) Your digital pictures can be hosted online. I use www.photobucket.com  It's free.

2.) Upload your digital pics to a host like photobucket and simply copy and paste the direct image link to this site. It is the one that starts with [IMG].

That's it.

From SH

Edited by floridaman on August 09 2011 at 14:43

cctowboat1
"Seaman"

Posted: August 09 2011 at 14:58 | IP Logged Quote cctowboat1

Thanks for info on posting pics

Edited by cctowboat1 on August 09 2011 at 15:15

cctowboat1
"Seaman"

Posted: August 09 2011 at 15:02 | IP Logged Quote cctowboat1

cctowboat1
"Seaman"

Posted: August 09 2011 at 15:13 | IP Logged Quote cctowboat1

cctowboat1
"Seaman"

Posted: August 09 2011 at 15:17 | IP Logged Quote cctowboat1

bepar108
"Seaman"

Posted: August 09 2011 at 18:19 | IP Logged Quote bepar108

cctowboat1: I agree with your comment about it being great how so many of the members have great information about all the topics.  The pictures of your CC on the beach look great.  Please tell us about the center console you placed in your boat.
It looks totally professional, and functional. 
Back to Top Printable version View bepar108's Profile Search for other posts by bepar108

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: August 09 2011 at 20:57 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Do you have a GPS to show what speed you get with all the extra weight? That center console sure looks interesting. How many watts are you pushing on that speaker?

cctowboat1
"Seaman"

Posted: August 10 2011 at 16:28 | IP Logged Quote cctowboat1

I started with a 15hp classic and built console and large box behind seat with starboard. With 2 people on board we had to lean forward to get up on plane so I put a 20HP on it and it solved the problem.

It only goes 18 to 20 with 2 people on board, but it works fine for me. It has 2 batterys with Perko switch. Remote controled spotlight, VHF radio with hailer horn, Jensen am/fm/cd player & Ipod connection with remote in the console, along with a Garmin GPS chartplotter and a waterproof electrical panel that has circut breaker swithes that run everything including docking lights and LED nav lights. I ran all the wires under the cat in pvc electrical tubing

I run TowBoatUS Cape Cod and in the off season during the winter I go to Florida for the winter and take the Cat with me to play. I have had her in the waters from Panama City to Key West on the Gulf & Daytona to Miami on the east coast. I also run the lakes and St Johns river inland.

I love taking it out in places like Clearwater pass in 5 to 6 ft seas get a mile or so out and surf it back into the pass. Still have the nylon bolts and they have been OK for the last 2 years, but I think I will change to the stainless before I do any more surfing.... The thoughts of a pontoon breaking off in 5-6 foot seas a mile off shore get's me thinking.... :^)

Always have Jimmy Buffett blasting on the stereo and lovin it

I enjoy taking her back in the mangroves and taking pictures of the wildlife. If you want to see many more pics of my adventures on the Cat & are on facebook, I'm Bill Hobbs if you want to send a friend request to see my thousands of pictures

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: August 10 2011 at 18:29 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Towboat,

You are using that CC on 5'- 6' seas?  That must be exciting but I am too chicken to try.

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: August 10 2011 at 22:40 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

cctowboat1 I would love to see some of your CC pics on the water.  Taking the CC to the keys must be great fun.   I have to go find some larger boats wakes to surf in at Lake Havasu since we have no ocean by us.  The Florida keys must be an awesome place to take the CC.   Post up some pics please.

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: August 11 2011 at 08:04 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

cctowboat1--

I submitted a "friend request" on facebook...my name is
Kevin from El Jobean, Florida. (SW Gulf Coast)

We have had our CC in the Gulf many times...about 1/2
mile out and it performs well!

We will not be going back to a traditional boat anytime
soon...lol

Like you console a lot, but we like top speed too...so I try
to keep the CC as light as possible...

We are constantly seeing dolphins, manatees, stingrays,
ospreys, sharks, sea turtles, eels...the list goes on (in and
around the gulf)...sometimes we feel as if we live in a
nature show...two weeks ago we saw a dolphin do an 6-8'
jump from the water, twice!! with it's body completely out
of the water!...last Sunday we saw a dolphin come up out
of the water on his tail with a 10" snook in his teeth...both
of these "shows" took place right in front of us on our
Craigcat!!...in the "fresh or brackish" water we see gators,
otters, turtles, and fish jumping about 4' from the water
constantly...
if you or anyone would like to send a "freind request" to
FB, my name is Kevin O'Reilly, El Jobean, Florida...although
I dont have many pics of the CC in the water, I will try to
add some soon...
We are near Boca Grande (SW Florida) Tarpon capital of
the world!

bepar108
"Seaman"

Posted: August 13 2011 at 17:35 | IP Logged Quote bepar108

I replaced the 6 Gal. gas tank that came with the boat.  I put in a 9 gal. tank that was the same height and width but only longer, and it fits perfectly.  It's really comforting to have 3 more gal. of gas on board.  I found myself checking the gas level less frequently as well.

Back to Top Printable version View bepar108's Profile Search for other posts by bepar108

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: August 13 2011 at 18:38 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Bepar,

What is the brand and model of that 9 gal tank? I always carry a spare 2 gal tank anyway and this would give me another gallon.

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: August 14 2011 at 01:09 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Gas weighs 6 lbs per gall.  While I'm never looking for ways to add weight, increasing my fuel capacity33% at a cost of 18 lbs may be well worth it in certain situations.  Possibly all the time if you are at the lighter end of the CC weight capacity.

Many times an extra gallon would have been very helpful.  You can never go further than half a tanks distance away if there is no place to refuel since you still have to get all the way back.

I've messed that simple equation up before basing my fuel consumption on the stated 1 gall/hour.  I get 2-2 1/2 galls consumption/gallon WOT.

Edited by Mr_Super-Hunky on August 14 2011 at 03:59

bepar108
"Seaman"

Posted: August 14 2011 at 14:01 | IP Logged Quote bepar108

It's a Moeller 9 gal. gas tank.  They make two sizes for 9 gal.  be sure it's the one that is only 10" high.  the fitting for the gas nipple is also just the right size to interchange with the old gas tank. The tank dimensions are:  29.5"x13.75"x10"  

Edited by bepar108 on August 14 2011 at 14:04

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: August 15 2011 at 01:41 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Police model for sale on EBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ;item=120760886289+&viewitem =

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: August 18 2011 at 16:58 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

Our Craig Cat in Stump Pass, Englewood, Florida (near home)

robsnyder20
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 19 2011 at 16:16 | IP Logged Quote robsnyder20

Wow, thanks for sharing all the information out there, this forum has really grown since I was last checking it in 2009. 

Someone asked about stock battery not lasting long enough, I found the same true being an owner of a craigcat since 2006.  I replaced mine in about 2008 with a tractor battery from autozone, 450 CCA and works perfectly and was only around $30 with a trade.  I never knew about the Nylon bolts being replaceable with Stainless steel or even needing replacement until coming back and reading others posting, so now I need to get mine done.  Never had a broken one yet and mines an 2004. 

Mercury 25 HP 2 stroke Motor seems good, other than being a bit smokey.  I've never had to rebuild the carb yet even though sometimes I go a few months without starting her.    I met up with Kevin aka " oceanview21" coming back to the ramp from stump pass (west coast florida), where he was going!  It was nice to see a fellow craigcat'r on the water.  He had some nice mods and shared a few with him. 

I have had the comprop on mine for at least a year and I would never go back to the plain aluminum prop.  I am around 300lbs and sometimes I take my brother whom weighs almost 350 so we have quite a load on the boat.  It was difficult to plain the boat but I learned early on about sitting forward to come to a plain faster.  With the comprop, it plains so much faster. 

I always run my tab in position 2, so I will have to try it in position 1 next time I am out.

For the person talking about foaming on the left, I have always noticed that in mine as well.  Don't know what causes it.

As for the gas issue, usually I never go too far with it and usually don't fill mine up all the way as I might go a few months before I get it back out on the water.  But it definitely uses way more gas than 1 - 1.5 gallons per hour at full throttle!  I would say the 2 g/hour is much more accurate. 

I believe another mentioned about boating alone in the graigcat.  I have done this a few times and while it is awesome to accelerate right away, it will start jumping up and down (cavitating) but once you get that under control and on SMOOTH waters, you can really let her rip and fly, but you will be going straight while appearing crooked whole going down the river or lake very quickly.  With the comprop and going out by myself, it almost feels and reminds me of my jetski. 

Anyway, stay safe and have fun and I will try and be back online sooner this time.

robsnyder20
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 19 2011 at 16:38 | IP Logged Quote robsnyder20

Okay question for everyone about their trailer,

I need to most likely replace the axle and springs due to rust, as the bearings would never seem to seal for buddy bearings.  Has anyone replaced theirs with something they find to be less troublesome than greasing them once per year?  If they have, what do you use?

In short, I replaced mine with an oil bath system which seemed awesome, but ended up leaking whenever I drove anywhere.  Well, fast forward 2+ years and I lost one of the caps which held the oil and destroyed the bearings when getting down to the ramp so I had to do a hand grease repack to get the boat back home that day. 

Let me know what you found works good for the trailers or the craigcat trailer please.  I need to do something with my trailer before I take it back out!

Thanks

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: August 19 2011 at 17:04 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

****Attention Robsnyder20****

Rob- Go online to Harbor Freight Tools...there is a store in
Ft Myers....870 LB capacity trailer--- $199.00

Looks exactly like the trailer that comes with the CC from
the factory except that it's red...you'd need to add the PVC
guide poles but you can get them at Home Depot
(inexpensive)

I thought this would be easier for you than replacing
springs etc. and it's ALL brand new!   Probably would work
out to be the same amount of $$ spent, but then you have
a brand new trailer, lights, tires, bearings, springs etc.

Good Luck....if you have any questions, call me...Kevin

John Graves
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 30 2011 at 13:48 | IP Logged Quote John Graves

8. I've got water inside my pontoons!!! Noticed at the end of the day that the rear ends of the pontoons appeared to be a little pinkish in color. When I pressed on the plastic it would move in slightly and you can see liquid inside moving around. Anyone else with this problem? The way the boat performs I can't believe it has a lot of water in it, but I'm concerned. Will the foam the CC uses absorb water? This seems to be just under the top skin, like it's bubbled up just slightly.

I'm doing research before I purchase a CraigCat Catch-It Evinrude 30 E-TEC

This is a question from me and response from Eric Craig

Question:

If cracks develop, will foam fill get waterlogged? 

Response:

Yes, If an accident occurs and the skin is compromised the boat should be removed from the water as quickly as possible.  The boat will not sink but over time the foam will soak up water.

The hulls are repaired by plastic welding with a stick of the material, 1600 watt heat gun, and a roller.  Much easier to repair and more durable than fiberglass.

Repair kit is only $20, if you need the heat gun it is $65.

Back to Top Printable version View John Graves's Profile Search for other posts by John Graves

John Graves
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 30 2011 at 14:52 | IP Logged Quote John Graves

Quote: bepar108
I was going to order my CC with the 30hp E-tec engine because I have one on my pontoon boat and really like that engine.  As it turned out, I got a better deal with buying the CC with a 30hp Nissan 4 Stroke, because the dealer had it in stock.

Hi bepar

Can you share the model of cat and price?

Was there a EZ Trailer purchased and price?

Thanks, John

Back to Top Printable version View John Graves's Profile Search for other posts by John Graves

John Graves
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 30 2011 at 15:06 | IP Logged Quote John Graves

Quote: cctowboat1
I enjoy taking her back in the mangroves and taking pictures of the wildlife. If you want to see many more pics of my adventures on the Cat & are on facebook, I'm Bill Hobbs if you want to send a friend request to see my thousands of pictures

Which Bill Hobbs what is your fb address?

cctowboat1
"Seaman"

Posted: August 30 2011 at 22:42 | IP Logged Quote cctowboat1

Seaman Recruit facebook to see pics of my craigcat adventures is https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1296982682 you will have to send friend request and send me message so i know who you are

Pat from SC
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 04 2011 at 14:08 | IP Logged Quote Pat from SC

Just bought a used 2008 CraigCat E2 Hybrid and hope to get it out on
the lake this week.  Does anyone have a Hybrid?  I'm new to boating
and am looking forward to enjoying my CraigCat.  I'll be using it
primarily on lakes in the Charlotte NC area and in Lake Lure NC.

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: September 04 2011 at 14:21 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

PAT From SC-
I dont have a Hybrid, but purchased my CC about two
months ago...my wife and I both love this boat...after 7
previous boats (the largest a 21' SeaSwirl w/ a 350 CI
engine, seats 8), this is by far our favorite and we dont
foresee us ever owning anything else. We live in SW
Florida on the Gulf coast. If we have visitors that we want
to take out, we can rent a bigger boat, but that is seldom...
We have had the CC out in the Gulf about 1 mile off shore,
and also in 4-5 waves...no problem, and I actually feel
safer because the boat is unsinkable...extremely stable
craft...

one comment...I made a slight modification to my bimini
brackets so that i have more head & shoulder room...I just
replaced the "flush" set screws with two "thumb
screws"...West Marine = $3.00 I now can adjust the bimini
up and down for easier operation of the controls and it
gives us way more head room (see previous pics on here,
red boat, oceanview), I then lower it back down for
trailering....I added high back seats also(see pics) Kmart -
$54.00
Congrats! on your CC, and have fun...I know you will!
Kevin & Inga, SW Florida

Pat from SC
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 04 2011 at 14:40 | IP Logged Quote Pat from SC

Oceanview 21
Thanks for the advise on the bimini top. I would be interested in
trying that. The 2008 CC was purchased new in June 2010 and not
used very much. It just needs a real good cleaning before I go out on
the lake.

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: September 05 2011 at 11:10 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21