View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

CraigCat
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>CraigCat
Subject Topic: Any CraigCat Owners? Post ReplyPost New Topic
13 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
bepar108
"Seaman"

Posted: July 17 2011 at 11:06 | IP Logged Quote bepar108

Mr. S-H, I must say, you are always full of very useful information.  I think you are a wonderful participant to this forum, and am always taught something new by your answers.  Thanks for your great replies.
Back to Top Printable version View bepar108's Profile Search for other posts by bepar108

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: July 17 2011 at 15:46 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Quote: bepar108
Mr. S-H, I must say, you are always full of very useful information.  I think you are a wonderful participant to this forum, and am always taught something new by your answers.  Thanks for your great replies.

Thanks bepar108.  I have learned a lot with my Craigcat over the past several years and have run into all kinds of situations I was not prepared for.

I've run out of gas several times (based on the claim of 1 gall/hour useage) which may be true if you only putz around barely planing speed but at full throttle it is 2 1/2 galls/hour

I've munched my prop do to hidden obstacles underwater (not even shallow water), just a submerged tree branch.

I've busted several of the original nylon bolts while on the water (with no spares on me) due to a ridiculous design flaw of using nylon bolts to begin with as the UV rays of the sun break down nylon and make them brittle.  Hint: [I've replaced all of mine with aluminum all thread).  Very strong and light.  Won't rust or break down in the sun either.

I've had a brand new glass mat battery not start (bad battery) after being several miles down river calling for an immediate lesson in pull starting the engine....VERY east to do btw.  First hard pull will start it.  (Remember to leave the key in the ON position to make the electrical contact)

I've learned that keeping a life jacket squished behind the seat between the rear rack and the backside of the seat acts as an extremely effective suspension seemingly smoothing out the rough chop bumps.

I've tried the boat with and without the front clear plastic splash guard.  While it is personal preference, the use of the splash guard will keep you MUCH, much dryer even though you will still get splashed a bit from time to time.  Only much less.

I've even repaired a punctured hole in one of my pontoons which Craigcat (Robert Craig) told me was impossible to do.  He was just not aware of the current epoxy technology that is now available for polyethelyene which was not available just a few years ago.  (Although you could use a torch with a diffuser tip and very lightly "glaze" the surface of the polyethelene to change the molecular structure of it to make things bond to it), but that's another topic.

I've learned that making very tight circles in the water under full power can easily result in the prop chopping up the corner edge of your pontoons.  Not good!

I've learned that using the factory Mercury additional trim fin to help the steering problem will result in slowing the boat down 1-2 mph top speed as well as slow down planing time a bit too.  I find it better to just give a little pressure on the steering stick to keep it going straight without having the additional drag of an extra fin slowing me down.

I've learned (as mentioned before) that cleaning the textured part of the pontoons is actually very difficult (do to the texturing for non slip grip) but using fine sand paper and simple green work like magic to clean up oil/grease/dirt stains.

I've learned that the factory non upgraded $14.00 fishing boat seats should be thrown out BEFORE your first outing.  Yes, they suck that bad!

I've even learned what happens when you hit a large wake/wave at full speed and become airborn landing with the tips of the pontoons into another oncoming wave....VERYbad!

If anyone else wants to add to this list of "tips and tricks or experiences" it would be very helpful for other members to avoid these problems

Still, all things considered, I really love my little, efficient lightweight powerboat that I tow with my 50 mpg VW Jetta TDI diesel.

Back to Top Printable version View Mr_Super-Hunky's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Super-Hunky

SWSportsman
"Seaman"

Posted: July 18 2011 at 07:59 | IP Logged Quote SWSportsman

Had an interesting weekend with the 'Cat. Installed the Comprop and the stainless bolt kit, along with a CC drybox. I couldn't get my new seats installed though. My boat has the optional wing storage racks and they block the new seats from sliding all the way in. I'm going to have to rig a spacer to get the seats about 1 1/4 in. higher.

I'm not at all impressed with the CraigCat dry box. It's super-soft plastic...I can peel it up with my fingernail. There's got to be a better product out there for this purpose, and at $30 it's no bargain.

I gave the Comprop a real workout and I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's definitely a help to getting on plane. With just me aboard, I'm on plane in 8-10 seconds, versus the 30 or more with the stock aluminum prop. I really need a Tiny-Tach though because it sounds like the 25 is revving much higher now at full throttle and top speed feels way down.

Back to Top Printable version View SWSportsman's Profile Search for other posts by SWSportsman

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: July 18 2011 at 10:53 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

Had a GREAT Sunday on my Cat in the Gulf and at Stump
Pass, Englewood, Fl...saw a dolphin (we see them everyday
here) leap about 10' above the water -- TWICE!! very cool to
observe in the wild!...I installed new High Back seats in the
CC...very easy install...looked around, bought them at KMART
of all places!...Red w/ gray trim ...look nice, feel
great...$54.00 pretty good buy...I think they offer blue and
gray or blue and white also...made by WISE Marine...nice
seats...the backs are as high as the watertight compartment
tops...look them up om line...they should be there...

bepar108
"Seaman"

Posted: July 18 2011 at 14:52 | IP Logged Quote bepar108

How did you install those new K-Mart seats?  Did you remove the sliding bracket that came with the CC seat and install it on the new ones?
Back to Top Printable version View bepar108's Profile Search for other posts by bepar108

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: July 18 2011 at 15:20 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

SWSportsman Your observations on the Comprop are accurate.  A 4 blade prop dramatically improves planing time as well as mid range power just like I had described.  The cost.....top speed!  You can't have it both ways (fast planing times AND fast top speed) because you are dealing with different gearing ratios in a way.

If you liked the much faster planing times but also want to keep the top speed similar to a 3 blade, then your only choice is to go with the Powertech S.S 3 blade prop.

Stock aluminum prop = very slow planing time but can achive fastest  top speed of near 30 mph after a minute or two

Comprop composite prop = much faster planing times and improved mid range power but slower top end speeds. 2-3 mph slower and YES, you WILL notice that.

Powertech Stainless steel prop = similar planing time as the Comprop (maybe just a sec or two slower) but still pretty good AND similar top end speed to the original aluminum 3 blade (maybe just 1 mph less due to using a 12'' instead of a 13'' prop).

That's it.  These are all of your options.  Crappy, mid range, and high end.  Your choice.  Remember, the best prop you can choose will be the one that keeps your rpms between 5,500 and 6000 rpms W.O.T.  This is SO important.  A $30 Tinytach or similar will tell you this.

Oceanview2  How about posting up some pics of your new rig?  I'd like to see those seats.  It sounds like you got a good deal on them.

Back to Top Printable version View Mr_Super-Hunky's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Super-Hunky

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: July 18 2011 at 16:01 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

Bepar- yes, it's a very simple install---remove existing
seats by pulling out pin under seats...slide pvc base out (2
pieces on my model)...remove 4 screws (1/4")...line up
new seats and install will 1/4" x 2 1/2" SS screws...done!
Home Depot has 1/4' x 2 1/2" Stainless (or zinc) screws...

Hunky- here's some pics...seats are NOT heavy, waay
more comfortable and look waay better than the hard
plastic ones...notice the high-backs...higher than the stereo
deck and compartments by about 3 inches!

*** There is no "upload image' button on the reply
form...how do you add images?? ***

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: July 18 2011 at 16:04 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

SH, if you have the tiny tac where did you mount it so you can see it when driving?

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: July 18 2011 at 16:26 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

Heres pics of new seats...
fbid=229139310460380&set=a.229138813793763.60172.1000
00929395623&type=1&theater">

SWSportsman
"Seaman"

Posted: July 18 2011 at 17:01 | IP Logged Quote SWSportsman

floridaman, I haven't gotten mine yet, so don't know all the details, but saw on another website where one was attached to the front of the hood on the motor. Not ideal, but easy to do, and on the CraigCat you can turn around a check pretty easily. Running the wire up closer to the seat shouldn't be that difficult either. Would really like to see pix of other's installations!

Here's an interesting video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z0xzY7p1rQ

Edited by SWSportsman on July 18 2011 at 17:11
Back to Top Printable version View SWSportsman's Profile Search for other posts by SWSportsman

tcm12
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 19 2011 at 00:51 | IP Logged Quote tcm12

does any on know what craigcat steering cable length are
thanks , I called craigcat and no help , this is my 3rd craigcat
are they 6ft or 7ft    thx
Back to Top Printable version View tcm12's Profile Search for other posts by tcm12

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: July 19 2011 at 01:26 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

How do you post pictures in this forum?

1.) Your digital pictures can be hosted online. I use www.photobucket.com  It's free.

2.) Upload your digital pics to a host like photobucket and simply copy and paste the direct image link to this site. It is the one that starts with [IMG].

That's it.

Action shots/videos get extra credit!

Floridaman I don't have a Tinytach only because I only use my boat at one location (Colorado River) and have it dialed in rpm/prop wise between 5500-6000 rpms.  You really don't need to mount it anywhere however since you only need it to dial in correct prop size for your application.  You really just need the info it will provide you and that will just take a quick second or two look once you're at full throttle.  I would just temporarily tie strap or electrical tape it to the remote throttle console for a test ride and then take the whole thing off.

Of course you could permanently install it somewhere and that would be good too.  Even better actually.

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: July 19 2011 at 06:29 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

SH,

I use the tach on my other boats to adjust my best rpm for fuel economy or cruising speed. Also it can give me an indication that something is not right on the motor when the max rpm at wide open throttle is off. I would also like to still figure out the best position on the tilt pin combining the rpm with a gps. I am not too concerned on the acceleration and quick plane  in as much as max speed on cruising and fuel economy.

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: July 19 2011 at 07:44 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

Bepar & SH...pics of new seats...
21/">

not sure I'm getting this photo thing correct!

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: July 19 2011 at 07:46 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

nview21/?action=view¤t=CCNewSeats004.jpg">

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: July 19 2011 at 07:48 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

To see pics...Right click on picture icon, then click on "open in
new tab"

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: July 19 2011 at 07:50 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

21/?action=view¤t=CCNewSeats004.jpg">

Edited by oceanview21 on July 19 2011 at 07:58

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: July 19 2011 at 08:01 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

1/CCNewSeats004.jpg">

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: July 19 2011 at 08:04 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

Sorry about the multiple picture posting attempts...cannot
figure out how to delete posts, either!

Please let me know if you are able to view pictures of new
seats...

As you might have figured out, I think they look great!! lol

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: July 19 2011 at 08:09 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

21/?action=view¤t=CCNewSeats004.jpg">

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: July 19 2011 at 08:15 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

Sorry- having probs loading pics from photobucket...

bepar108
"Seaman"

Posted: July 19 2011 at 08:33 | IP Logged Quote bepar108

oceanview 21,
I wasn't able to open any of those links.  Don't give up, keep trying to figure it out.

tcm12
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 19 2011 at 08:46 | IP Logged Quote tcm12

does any on know what craigcat steering cable length are
, I called craigcat and no help , this is my 3rd craigcat
are they 6ft or 7ft    thx

BoatStoreUSA has them NEW EZY-GLIDE “STIK II” STICK
STEERING – MODEL 840 $249 with cable

need help on how long
Back to Top Printable version View tcm12's Profile Search for other posts by tcm12

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: July 19 2011 at 08:46 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/m568/oceanview21/

try using this link by "copying and pasting" into your
browser...let me know if that works...

newfields
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 19 2011 at 08:55 | IP Logged Quote newfields

Oceanview,

That worked.

The issue was you are copying the wrong thing from photobucket. You want to copy the "Direct Link" code from them.

Then use the little picture icon in this forum and paste that "Direct Link" code.

You will know it works before you post because you will see a live preview of the image before you submit it.

Here is an example from your photos:

Nice looking boat by the way!

Back to Top Printable version View newfields's Profile Search for other posts by newfields

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: July 19 2011 at 09:14 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

21/">

Still not downloading!!

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: July 19 2011 at 09:17 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

Uses these links in your browser by "copying and pasting" for
pics of new seats...sorry cant get them to download!

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m568/oceanview21/CC
NewSeats003.jpg

NewSeats002.jpg

NewSeats001.jpg

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: July 19 2011 at 09:22 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

Hope you like the seats...I do!...sorry about the
download...seats were very easy to install...took all of 15
minutes! just need to get longer 1/4" screws...1/4" x 2 1/2"
Coarse thread machine screws (8 screws, 4 per chair)...Home
depot has them -- $.26 each...

bepar108
"Seaman"

Posted: July 19 2011 at 16:29 | IP Logged Quote bepar108

Oceanview,
The seats look so comfy, and the pics came out great.  I have the CC model with the cargo container/radio, spanning across the back of the two seats, its the Catch-It model.  Can you determine if your new seat backs would hit that cargo bin if it was behind your seats?

SWSportsman
"Seaman"

Posted: July 19 2011 at 20:33 | IP Logged Quote SWSportsman

oceanview, I like the seats! They really look sharp. I'm sure you will enjoy the comfort.

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: July 20 2011 at 07:44 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

Sportsman-- Thanks they are nice,,,really an upgrade from
the stock plastic fishing seats!

Bepar- I also have the same configuration ... stereo in
center (removed in pics, in the process of installing a better
one than the Sony that is stock) with two watertight storage
bins port & starboard...NO, the seats do not hit...I plut my
life jackets behind the seats ...there is about a 4 inch
clearance between the seatback and the rail and boxes...if
I lean back hard on the seats I can get the seat to touch
the box but no harm done as it really doesn't lean that hard
against anything and it only touches if I push back against
the upper half of the backrest...very comfortable...makes a
big difference especially in chop or a large wake! I tried to
find the highest "high back" chair that I could and FYI ...my
seats have a back that measures 18". If you measure them
from the part of the seat that you sit on, the "high back"
then measures 20"high ...in my opinion, if you go with less
of a "high back" (and most seats are not that high) you
don't get the comfort ...almost an easy chair feeling...let
me know if you have any more questions etc.

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: July 20 2011 at 07:59 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

Bepar- copy and paste these links for pics of seatback(s) and
storage bin clearances...

Seatback002.jpg

Seatback001.jpg

You can see that there is approx 4inches of clearance--
Oceanview

SWSportsman
"Seaman"

Posted: July 23 2011 at 21:13 | IP Logged Quote SWSportsman

Got my new seats installed today! Not as attractive as oceanview's, but a great improvement over the basic seats.

As you can see in the photo, I had to install 1.5in risers under the seats to get them to clear the support arms for the side platforms. This created an unforeseen problem: Now my head hits the bimini! I'll have to figure a way to raise the top also if I'm going to use it.

I'm thinking I may stick with the ComProp:

I like the increased accelleration and am getting used to the lower top speed. I reached 24mph on the GPS today and that's probably enough top end to satisfy me. I still want to get a tach reading on WOT with this prop though.

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: July 24 2011 at 07:42 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

Sportsman- Congrats on your new seats! I think they look
great!...I also thought I had that unforseen problem of my
head just touching the bimini, (I didn't need to add a a riser,
as my boat does not have the outrigger platforms), but after
using the CC for awhile the seats "relaxed" a bit and there is
plenty of clearance between my noggin and the bimini...If I
were you, I would try it out on the water before I did further
changes to the bimini supports...

Enjoy your soft seats!...they change the whole ride...easier on
butt and back...especially when cutting wakes!! Enjoy!

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: July 24 2011 at 09:57 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

SWSportsman  Great pics.  Those seats look so comfy compared to the stock arse-cracker fishing seats.  Good choice.

BTW, I'm glad you liked the Comprop and are experiencing the same results I have.  The only thing is that you should be getting just a little more mph out of it top end. Around 26-27mph.

You may want to run a little Seafoam in your fuel for a tank or two to clean out any built up carbon in your engine.  I did and noticed some improvement.  Also, we all run under different conditions such as load (weight) and elevation differences and nothing will improve your ride better than a prop (size) that keeps you between 5500-6000rpms.

If your engine has a good amount of hours logged on it you may need to decarbon the engine.  To do this, unscrew your spark plug and squirt a few sprays of Seafoam into the opening.  Also, spray a fair amount of it into the carb intake (air intake) of your engine and then run it.  You will smoke up the entire neighborhood in the process but what you are really doing is burning off the built up carbon.  After you do this, your engine will run much crisper and you may get some more rpms out of it which will equate to higher mph.

Do a search on "Seafoam" as it is highly reccommended by just about everyone who has used it.

bepar108
"Seaman"

Posted: July 24 2011 at 15:55 | IP Logged Quote bepar108

Love seeing those pics! 
Regarding the Bimini top, I used it for the first time yesterday, and it is very poorly placed.  One of the extensions is located in such a way that it makes it very uncomfortable to use the throttle control.  I had to actually put my hand in between the the extension bars and still found my hand pressing against the bar.  Oh well, I guess its the price to pay for cramped quarters.
My wife and I live on Lake Keowee, NW corner of South Carolina, and went on a wonderful ride for the first time on this lake.  We were thinking about buying a jet ski for a long time, but dreaded riding piggy back.  When we found out about the CC, it seemed the perfect solution for side by side riding in one craft and a similar feel to a jet ski.  It turned out to be so, and much more.
I was hoping there were more CC owners in the area so that we can start some sort of club and set up group excursions/picnics, and such.  Maybe as more people join this forum, this can be achieved.

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: July 24 2011 at 18:22 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

bepar108  We had purchased our CC for the exact same reasons you describe.  I wanted something that was "side byb side" seating.  I even considered the old Kawasaki one of a kind 2 seater (side by side) jet ski (model 650 sc) but liked the concept of the CC much better.

The bimini top is VERY crampy when up.  Working the throttle requires you to be part Gumby if you know what I mean but it beats not having it.

I would love to have some kind of CC outing at some point.  I would love to take it to the Florida keys one day.

Texas CC Sailor
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 25 2011 at 00:30 | IP Logged Quote Texas CC Sailor

Hello from Lake Houston Tx area.... Just got my Craig Cat last week. Took it twice already. Once with my son, and then with wife.  I noticed the steering issue right away.... Befor I went out on second trip, I installed a fish finder. I mounted the tranducer on the starbd pontoon, using two small self tapping screws. After adjusting the transducer up and down on the bracket, I actually founf the perfect setting that evened out the steering issue.  I will take a pick for everyone, and show you. Perhaps this might help some of you with the steering issue, like it did for me.
Back to Top Printable version View Texas CC Sailor's Profile Search for other posts by Texas CC Sailor

Texas CC Sailor
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 25 2011 at 00:54 | IP Logged Quote Texas CC Sailor

pics for transducer

Back to Top Printable version View Texas CC Sailor's Profile Search for other posts by Texas CC Sailor

Texas CC Sailor
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 25 2011 at 00:56 | IP Logged Quote Texas CC Sailor

]
] ]
13 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version