View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

CraigCat
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>CraigCat
Subject Topic: Any CraigCat Owners? Post ReplyPost New Topic
13 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
rainbowcat
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 15 2009 at 22:41 | IP Logged Quote rainbowcat

After reading this forum, I need advice.  My used 97? craigcat came without engine or controls and has the older smooth pontoons rated for 15hp and 550# weight.  I bought an 8hp 4 stroke Merc with manual tiller, new seats & custom bimini.  Its great on no wake quiet rivers and sips gas, but I need more performance where big boats almost run me down.  2 stroke or 4 stroke?  Max HP?  Would a 4 bladed prop make a difference for such a small engine?  Finally, would I be better off getting a newer used craigcat with 25hp, elec start and controls instead of trying to upgrade what I have?

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: July 16 2009 at 02:29 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Rainbowcat, I know a guy who has several brand new (2003) leftover craigcats as well as a few pontoons. If you want to buy *parts* or pontoons, I could hook you up with him.

Personally, before I purchased the hard plastic pontoons I would look into inflatable pontoons like found on a zapcat, thundercat etc. The boat could handle  more hp (with modification) and would be much softer on the hard wake landings. Good like finding any though!

Back to Top Printable version View Mr_Super-Hunky's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Super-Hunky

Wentland
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 16 2009 at 08:26 | IP Logged Quote Wentland

Rainbowcat, before I created a Craig cat from parts, I would buy a good used one already set up. I think you will save time and money. If you live near Super-Hunky, you might want to check out the new 2003 models. You could sell your 97 model on Craig's List or EBay. They seem to sell pretty fast.

Back to Top Printable version View Wentland's Profile Search for other posts by Wentland

Wentland
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 16 2009 at 08:48 | IP Logged Quote Wentland

Rainbowcat, in regards to horsepower, the 25 hp is about 5 mph slower than the 30 hp. The 30 hp weighs more than the 25 hp. The 4 stroke is quieter, heavier, and slightly faster than the 2 stroke. Plan on getting about 1 mph per horsepower (Give or take). For me, I use my Craigcat for fishing and diving. Fishing is not an issue, but when I load up the Craigcat with 2 full sized guys, tanks and dive equipment, weight and balance can become a factor.

Is the Craigcat the best diving / fishing platform ever made? No, but it does the job with a low initial cost, low maintenance cost, and low fuel cost.

Back to Top Printable version View Wentland's Profile Search for other posts by Wentland

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: July 16 2009 at 13:17 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Yes, as Wentland has said, the speed between a 25 hp 2 stroke and 30 hp 4 stroke is nearly a wash due to the significant weight difference of the engines. There is a 55 lb difference between the two engines which will obviously affect the power to weight ratio.

I still think the 4 stroke is probably the better engine for several reasons which include:

.more envorimentally friendly,  .much better fuel economy,  .more torque.  The problem is the new 4 strokes are VERY expensive, $4,000.00.

Before I purchased a *new* $4,000 30 hp engine, I would buy a gently used 50 hp Tohatsu for less, put it on a zapcat purchased new from Australia or south africa and have 10 times the boat!

Back to Top Printable version View Mr_Super-Hunky's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Super-Hunky

rainbowcat
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 17 2009 at 14:10 | IP Logged Quote rainbowcat

Thanks all for your feedback.  I agree that the pontoons are too heavy and understand the appeal of inflatables.  I'd like the remote controls and motor upgrade and prefer a 4 stroke.  As a kayaker, I hate the oil and smoke of 2 stroke engines.  Would new craigcat pontoons increase my capacity like a new craigcat so I feel safe to get a 25 4stroke with eletric start and battery?  THe dimensions are exactly the same so I don't see how I get more bouyancy unless they are made lighter.

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: July 17 2009 at 19:15 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

As long as you get the semi-current pontoons..(those made over the past 10 years) you will have the same capacities as a new boat as the pontoons are the same. I don't think it's even possible to ruin them as they are rotomolded and foam filled.

Personally, I don't like the solid-heavy rotomolded pontoons which Craigcat uses as there is NO form of a suspension anywhere other than your seat..(hopefully the upgraded version) but even that is not great.

For smooth water applications up to 25 mph, the Craigcat is fine as that is what it is intended for. For choppy/rough water and or higher speeds, an inflatable boat would serve MUCH better and an inflatable cat would be best. Again, a 13 foot Zapcat type boat would hold MUCH (and I mean MUCH) more weight, go more than twice as fast with a 50 hp motor, it would be dramatically smoother due to the floating effect of the tunnel hull design and the fact that the inflatable pontoons would also act as a suspension. In fact, a fuel injected 50 hp 4 stroke really won't use much more gas than a 2 stroke carburated 25 hp. Yes, it will use a little more, but not much.

I actually plan on selling my brand new (2003 leftover) Craigcat as soon as I can locate an inflatable tunnel hull cat...(either Zapcat, thundercat, xtm, dux etc) and set it up exactly like theCriagcat with remote steering and either 2 nice bucket seats or possibly even a small bench. The boat will be almost as fuel efficient while being MUCH smoother, twice as fast and handling will improve exponentially.

3 DOG
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 17 2009 at 19:49 | IP Logged Quote 3 DOG

I have a 2000 with a 25 hp and wanted to go to a 25 4 stroke.  Spoke to Craigcat and they told me that the 2000 was not designed for this type of change.  I then decided to downgrade and learned that there are dangers with using other hp engines other than the ones they offer.  Bottom line, call Craigcat before you make an engine change.  I am trying a 4 hp 2 stroke and it is ok on calm waters but real wet in a wind.  You need to put a swivel on the drivers seat if you go to a tillered outboard.
Back to Top Printable version View 3 DOG's Profile Search for other posts by 3 DOG

Wentland
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 18 2009 at 16:49 | IP Logged Quote Wentland

Hey 3 Dog, if you buy different pontoons and a different motor; you would probably be better off buying a good used boat with the desired engine in place. I live in South Florida and routinely operate my Craigcat offshore within 5 miles of land. My boat is equipped with a VHF radio, fish finder, and GPS. It is very reasonable using the boat for trolling. I will not go out unless the waves are 2 feet or less. This is not because the boat will not handle bigger waves. You can not go fast in high waves. The waves in the inlets can be much larger than the waves offshore. If the waves are bigger than 2 feet plan on getting wet.

I have looked at the Zapcats and Thundercats on UTube. I have searched the internet for them. They look like a lot of fun. I don't know how good they would be for fishing and diving, but they would get you there fast. I have found that they are next to impossible to buy used in the U.S. unless you ship them from Britain or Australia. Due to this they are also more expensive. Maybe someday a U.S. company will build this type of boat for sale in the U.S. I would even be interested in going to races featuring these boats. Until that time I will be happy with my Craigcat.

Wentland
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 18 2009 at 17:00 | IP Logged Quote Wentland

Super-Hunky did you replace your plastic seats with the ones with better padding. I initially had the cheap plastic ones that Craigcat provided and landings over wakes were a kinda hard on the butt, back, and tail-bone. Then I invested in some good seats from Bass Pro Shop and found that the landings, while still hard, are much more tolerable.

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: July 18 2009 at 21:06 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Yes Wentland, I have the upgraded Craigcat cushy seats with the Craigcat logo embroidered on them. They are pretty comfy but could certainly be better. NO-way are they worth the $300.00 though.

BTW, you CAN get a Zapcat type boat (and I mean the *real* kind, not an imitator) from several different companies here in the U.S. I will provide a link to several of them below. Note that a complete setup (inflatable tunnel hull cat and 50 hp engine) will cost at least 10k new. When you add remote steering controls and seats, the cost will obviously be more.

As I've said, I am considering purchasing one of these super-capable cats and mounting a steering wheel and seats (bucket or bench). It will be a one of a kind boat that will outperform just about anything in terms of handling, acceleration. It will only consume a couple of gall of fuel per hour....(jet skis burn 4- 8 galls an hour!!) and I can tow it with literally anything. Heck, it would even be possible to deflate the boat and put it in your trunk/pickup bed along with the engine (although I would'nt do this method for it would be a hassle).

Here's a good place to start. Buy a boat, find a good used Tohatsu 50 hp motor, rig it and let the fun begin!

Mako inflatables (XTM) - http://www.makoinflatablesusa.com/xtreme.html

Mad dog extreme  - http://www.maddogextreme.com/model/Advance_Cat.htm

Superduxx/Seawolf - http://www.seawolf.biz/Sport.htm

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 25 2013 at 11:34

wccraigcat
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 19 2009 at 16:49 | IP Logged Quote wccraigcat

Hi everyone!

I see there is alot of "CraigCat owners out there.  I'm West Coast CraigCat, Inc., located in Odessa Fla.  My email add. is wccraigcat@verizon.net.  I would love to hear from you guys about your Cats!  If I can help with any Q's or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me!

Jim Greene

West Coast CraigCat, Inc.

727-514-0416

Rufus Gutz
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 20 2009 at 22:52 | IP Logged Quote Rufus Gutz

Hey, where did every one go??

G'day from Australia.

I believe this is the Craigcat forum, although reading Super what's his names comments, he seem's to want to change it to an inflateable forum. Listen up old mate, you appear to dislike the Craig cat so much, maybe you should pick up your negative thoughts, & just go away. Leave the forum to people who enjoy the Craigcat.

I've just bought a 04 E2 Craigcat with 2 stroke 25 h.p.

It has been stored for 2 yrs. It is a lot of fun, but it looks a bit dirty. How do do I clean it.

Roger

Back to Top Printable version View Rufus Gutz's Profile Search for other posts by Rufus Gutz

wccraigcat
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 21 2009 at 08:13 | IP Logged Quote wccraigcat

Roger,

I don't know if you can get it in Australia, but I used a product called "Simple Green" to clean up the trade ins I get.

Jim

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: August 21 2009 at 23:33 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Roger, just a friendly tip: You may get a better response from members by losing your abrasive attitude towards active members; especially being your very first post and all!

Now, to respond to your comment that I'm trying to turn this into an "inflatable" forum, you would be inncorrect. I love my Craigcat, that's why I bought it...(makes sense right?).  There are however several things you can do to it to soften up your landings in choppy water but I'll save that info for another time.

In terms of *cleaning* the boat..(specifically the pontoons), it is NOT very easy as you've discovered. The reason it is difficult to clean the pontoons is that they have a textured finish which really seems to grab hold of any and all dirt as well as lock it on.  Sure it would be MUCH easier to clean if the surface was smooth and non-permeable like the fiberglass deck but it would also be extremely slippery if that were the case.

Jim has one of the best suggestions in his reccommendation of using simple green (an all purpose cleaner/degreaser) but your results will be best if also scrubbing with a small stiff plastic brush. If the stains are really bad or are sticky'gooey, a product called "Goof-Off" (basically paint remover) will work well for those tough area's.

The problem with using stripper/degreaser type chemicals is that the now super clean surface seems to stain and attact dirt almost faster now that anything can easily stick to it. For this reason, after thoroughly cleaning your textured pontoons you may want to apply some type of Armor-all type plastic/vinyl protectant which will not only help protect the plastic from oxidizing but also help dirt/grime etc stick to the raw unprotected plastic.

Remember when applying Armor-all type protectants to thoroughly wipe off any excess liquids with a clean dry rag as not to turn the boat into a dust/dirt magnet.

One more thing, welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your new boat. I too have a 25hp 2-stroke and love it due to the significant weight savings over the 4 stroke. That said they are both great engines and can easily get the job done as intended.

S-H.

wccraigcat
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 22 2009 at 08:25 | IP Logged Quote wccraigcat

We've just created a "CraigCat Owner's Forum", dedicated to only CraigCat topics.  There are 2 ways to access the site:  Go to http://westcoastcraigcat.com, once there, go to "Owner's Forum", or go directly to : http://craigcatowners.forumotion.com

This site is sponsored by West Coast CraigCat, Inc. and we are very excited to see the feedback from our family of CraigCat Owner's.  Your input will also be very helpful to the prospective CraigCat Owners, who can benefit from your experience.

Welcome,

Jim

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 25 2013 at 11:35

Rufus Gutz
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 22 2009 at 00:43 | IP Logged Quote Rufus Gutz

G'day, folks.

I want to catch more fish, a fish finder seems to be the way to go, but where do I mount the transducer on my craigcat????

Any suggestions?

Roger

Back to Top Printable version View Rufus Gutz's Profile Search for other posts by Rufus Gutz

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: May 29 2011 at 15:28 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Just checking to see if anyone is still interested in keeping this forum subject alive since I bought a 2005 E2 with 25hp Mercury and have solved the steering problem.

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: May 30 2011 at 00:36 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Hi floridaman.  I'm assuming you are talking about the difficulty in making left turns (right turns are great).

What did you do?  What is your fix?  I'm interested.  I've not found anything that won't slow the boat down like a trim fin does.

cctowboat1
"Seaman"

Posted: May 30 2011 at 09:27 | IP Logged Quote cctowboat1

The problem is solved by changing the prop - chances are the prop you have on is not the original and proper pitch - Call or email CraigCat with information and they can help you
Back to Top Printable version View cctowboat1's Profile Search for other posts by cctowboat1

newfields
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: May 30 2011 at 10:22 | IP Logged Quote newfields

Quote: floridaman
Just checking to see if anyone is still interested in keeping this forum subject alive since I bought a 2005 E2 with 25hp Mercury and have solved the steering problem.

Floridaman, what was your fix.

I also have a 25HP 2005 Craigcat.

Thanks!

Tim
Back to Top Printable version View newfields's Profile Search for other posts by newfields

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: May 30 2011 at 14:52 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

I bought this cat from a man that had left shoulder surgery and said he could no longer drive the cat because of the stiff steering and his left arm does not work that good. When I took the cat for a ride the stick was so stiff and you had to hold on or you will be turning to the right. I was reading this forum and tried to find the trim tab that was suggested above but it was no longer available so I bought a universal trim tab from EBay. When I read the owners manual it said the trim tab should be pointing to the right and the previous owner had it all the way to the left. I guess he was looking at right from the front of the motor instead of the rear. The cat has a stainless prop and all I had to do was to point the tab to the right and it started tracking in a straight line. The steering was still stiff even out of the water and I called Craigcat and they suggested a new cable. Not wanting to spend the money I disassembled the steering box and put new grease after cleaning it out. I also oiled the cable with a penetrating oil to loosen up the old hard grease until it worked loose. Now I can steer it with three fingers and when I let go it tracks straight. I never installed the universal trim tab and resold it back on EBay. Now Craigcat says that the nylon bolts have to be replaced every three years and I doubt this has ever been replaced. They recommend using stainless steel bolts that they sell so you no longer have to replace them in the future.

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: May 30 2011 at 15:01 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

The only thing I would have liked in my cat would have been an electric tilt and trim like the newer models. I asked Craigcat if the universal CMC tilt and trim would work and they recommended against it because it will affect performance. They said that even swapping out to a new motor with tilt and trim would not work for the '05 model and performance will be affected. I do not want to risk spending money to buy something that would not work since the CMC cost over $400.

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: May 30 2011 at 23:48 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Thanks for the info floridaman.  The prop has nothing at all to do with it since I 've swapped the stock mercury 3 blade for a 4 blade as well as  installed a stainless that Craigcat suggested.

All the different props perform differently but none o f them address the left turn steering issue.

If I  dissassemble the steering box and lube the cable with penetrating oil and have succsess as you have,  you will have solved this ongoing dilema.

I plan on taking my Craigcat out in a few weeks and will perform the service to the cables as suggested.  I'll post my results when I get back. 

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: May 31 2011 at 00:26 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Make sure your trim tab is all the way to the right.

CarolinaKitty
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: May 31 2011 at 07:58 | IP Logged Quote CarolinaKitty

I would love to see thiis forum remain active!! 

I too had to adjuct my trim tab all the way to the right.  Stearing is now much easier.  I love my CraigCat!!

2006 CraigCat with 25 HP Mercury 2 Stroke.

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: May 31 2011 at 12:36 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Last year I sold a 22' pontoon boat and a 17' center console and bought the Craigcat. I live in a subdivision where you cannot park boats on your driveway or yard and the cat fits nicely in my garage. Also I got tired of cleaning the other boats after I use them because I am in salt water and the cat is so much easier to hose down.

My wife and I have been talking about taking a cross country trip and the cat is so much easier to tow and launch on different lakes. I use the cat for just riding around exploring and for me it is like taking my motorcycle out for a ride in the countryside. With the price of gas going up it is more affordable to take it out more often compared to the bigger boats.

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: June 01 2011 at 00:39 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

I'm glad to see a few new people here.  If a few people want to stay active and discuss our Craigcats, how 'bout we start a new thread?  Something generic like "tell us about yourself and your Craigcat".

This way we can all start from the begining and discuss our little powerboat journey.

You in?

CarolinaKitty
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 01 2011 at 08:18 | IP Logged Quote CarolinaKitty

Count me in.

CarolinaKitty

Eastern South Carolina.

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: June 01 2011 at 08:34 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

I think we should just continue with this heading so new people that might have problems can read past postings. I scoured the internet and found just one other forum that talked about the CraigCat but that forum stopped last year and it had too many negative guys that has never owned or ridden in one posting negative opinions of the CraigCat. I love mine for what I use it for and some guys would like the performance of jet skis and that is not it was designed for. I have people asking me about it even whe I pull into a fast food joint because they have not seen one. I even had the Coast guard guys stop me on the river to take a look.

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: June 01 2011 at 15:20 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Okay floridaman.  We can continue here and start a new thread in the future if need be.

About me: 

I purchased a brand new (old stock) 2003 E2 3 years ago.  It had "0" hours on the boat engine (25 hp Mercury 2 stroke).

I've had incredible fun on my little powerboat as my wife and I love cruising the colorado river with it.

I can go about 30 mph top speed with the stock 3 blade 13 pitch prop at low elevation.  It takes a while to plane out with the 13'' 3 blade but that is what gives me my best top speed.

If I switch to a 13'' 4 blade prop (Cabellas), I can get on plane significantly faster. MUCH faster actually, but I give up approx 2 mph top speed as a result.

Craigcat (Eric) suggests the Powertech 12'' stainless steel prop for overall best performance but @ $200.00, you better make sure you are never in skinny water!  I don't use that prop (even though it IS the best) because many times I am in extremely shallow water and risk munching the blades.

I (we) treat out Craigcat like our Polaris Ranger that we use on our ranch and in the forrest for taking long scenic cart rides at approx 20-25 mph.  Any faster than that and your eyes start to tear and you can't visually take everything in.  "Aquatic sightseeing" is probably the best description of what we do with our cat.

There are a few design flaws with this boat however.  Fortunately, nothing that can't be dealt with.  In a sum, here they are:

1.) older models have the infamous left turning issue.

2.) You can easily chop up the end corner of the rear pontoons in very tight fast turns. (Not enough clearance to the prop during fast flexing turns)

3.) REPLACE YOUR NYLON BOLTS!  Almost all of mine have cracked due to stress and drying out over time.  I had lightweight aluminum ones made.  Problem fixed.

4.) Should you damage your pontoons, they ARE....repeat THEY ARE repairable.  Even though polyetheylene was very recently deemed UN-repairable, there are now several methods to repair them (polyethelyene).  3M now makes a one step polyetheylene epoxy that works very well and the old school method of lightly glazing the surface to change the molecular structure of the plastic to allow adhesion also works very well if done correctly.

I have taken our Craigcat out dozens and dozens of times in all types of weather conditions and while it can handle almost anything, smooth-light chop seems best fitted for an enjoyable ride.

My favorite thing to do with it is to literally surf the large wake waves that big deep "V" hulls make passing by.

I tow my boat with a Volkswagen TDI Jetta and get nearly 50 mpg doing it!

For you eco-friendly people, know that the 2 stroke Mercury engine pollutes very little when kept WOT (wide-open throttle) as there is very little unburnt oil that spills into the water.  Slow idling/putzing around is when the most polluting will occur since so much of the lubricating oil in the mix is NOT burned off.  Operating your engine at near max rpm (5,000-6,000) is actually the best for the enviroment for the reasons mentioned.

Wish list:  I would love to put the new Evinrude 30hp EFI engine on my boat but at nearly 5k.....it's hard to justify.

How about telling us a little bit about yourself and your Craigcat experiences?

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: June 01 2011 at 15:25 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

A pic taken last year on the Colorado River (Topock Gorge) Arizona/California border.

CarolinaKitty
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 01 2011 at 15:56 | IP Logged Quote CarolinaKitty

Great Picture of a CraigCat in Action. 

I live in Eastern South Carolina about 45 miles inland from the Atlantic.  I wanted a CraigCat ever since I saw one in 2004.  I purchased my 2006 Craigcat Catch-It model in Feb 2010 from a guy in Florida.  It had less than 10 hours on the 25 HP Mercury 2 Stroke.   On the trip back to South Carolina from Florida, I got lots double takes.   People would pull along side on the interstate just to take a long look at it.  On the way home, I stopped at a Bass Pro Shop in Georgia and when I came out of the store there was a crowd gathered around my parking spot.  Some even asked if I made it myself.      

My wife and I mainly use it for sight seeing along the coastal rivers and the intercoastal waterway.  It came with a SS prop when I got it and it seems to perform wonderfully with about 25 MPH being the top speed depending on our load. 

I use only AMSOIL synthetic 2 cycle oil.  It works wonderfully and burns completely and it's so efficient that you only have to mix it at a 100-1 ratio instead of the normal 50 to 1.  It burns completely with no residue!!  Once I started using the AmsOil I even picked up 2 MPH on the top end.  I have used only AMSOIL in my outboards since 1980 and swear by it.  They have several different grades depending on your 2 cycle eqipment and even one for oil injection.  It costs more but you use less so it evens out.  Google AMSOIL.

Bottom line, we love the CraigCat and it performs well for what it was designed for.  I even use it for fishing the slow moving coastal rivers here and can get into sloughs that others can't due to the shallow draft. 

CarolinaKitty

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: June 01 2011 at 18:10 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

I bought my '05 cat with a 25HP two stroke from a man that can no longer use it because of the hard steering. I paid $3500 for it on Ebay last year and it is a Catch-It model. I live in a city where a lot of homes are in salt water canals and it is fun to see some of these homes from their back yard for a change. I have not used it for fishing yet because I am having fun just riding around. I use to do a lot of fishing in my younger days but now I spend less money for fish by buying it from a store.  We have large alligators where we live and I am afraid of running into a big one on a small boat three inches from the water.  

I just bought the replacement bolts made of stainless steel from CraigCat last week but have not installed it yet. They have a showroom in Orlando and I checked the other models they had on display. The only difference I noticed in the newer models are of course the four stroke motors with the tilt and trim, a nice stereo system, a different trailer without the pvc pipes, and LED lighting. I am still recovering from spine surgery and it will be a few more months before I can use my cat again. I am glad that I could use it year round in Florida and I really prefer fall and spring when the weather is not too hot.

By the way Hunky your picture is nice but we do not have any mountains in Florida. I lived in Denver for a few years and do not miss the snow at all. When I left Denver for Florida it was in July and the ski resorts were still open. Too cold for me!

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: June 02 2011 at 00:50 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

These are great replies.  If you know of anyone else with a Craigcat, get 'em to join us.  Also, pics are great too.  There aren't of them around.

I also have been using Amsoil in all of my 2 stroke engines (I have LOTS of them) for 20 years.  To be fair, I have used the wal-mart tc-3 Mercury approved 2 stroke oil in a pinch and did not notice much of any difference other than more smoking at startup.

As I've mentioned, the best prop for all of our boats is a Powertech stainless 12 inch pitch.  I'm currently using a Comprop 4 blade 13 inch prop ($60.00 Cabellas) and am extremely happy with the performance all things considered.  The 4 blade gives you much much better mid range power and will plane your boat out much faster than the stock 3 blade.  The tradeoff is top speed.  The 3 blade can get you 30 mph at low elevation where the 4 blade will give you about 27-28 mph.  The 4 blade will run circles around the 3 blade in the mid range however.  Also, I am only talking about Aluminum and composite, not stainless as it it too pricey for the depth of water I seem to be in a lot.

Also, I've found the best way to clean your boat is with simple green and light sandpaper. (A tip from Robert Craig).  It works instantly.

floridaman, fyi the new models offer an Evinrude etec EFI 2-stroke.  Many believe this is the best outboard ever made.  All the reviews I have read seem to agree as well.  Like I said, $5k though!...Yikes!

A small tip you could use is to get rid of your battery (weight) and just use the pull start.  I have been doing this for years.  You really don't save a ton of weight but every single pound counts.  These boats are VERY weight sensitive.  Also, my engine has NEVER not started within the first or second pull.  Ever!  It's nice not having to worry about a battery.

Don't forget to change your engines lower gear oil every season.  Very easy to do yourself.  In addition, you may want to de-carbon your engine with Seafoam once a season or so.

Good luck getting your registration decals to stick to the polyethelene pontoons.  I put mine in the 2 1/2 inch space just under the deck and above the pontoons.  Any other spot the decals will fall off probably much sooner than later.

Anyone else got any useful (or not) info?

Edited by Mr_Super-Hunky on June 02 2011 at 00:51

CarolinaKitty
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 02 2011 at 09:46 | IP Logged Quote CarolinaKitty

I just purchased the stainless steel bolt kit from CraigCat.  If you install yours before I get a chance to install mine, let me know how it went.  I also installed my registration numbers in the small space between the pontoons and deck.  So far, no problems. 

Although I always plan to return to the dock before dark, there was one occasion where I returned later.  It was good to have the battery on board for the lights.  The running lights and halogen docking lights worked great!!

CarolinaKitty

Back to Top Printable version View CarolinaKitty's Profile Search for other posts by CarolinaKitty

PDLines
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 23 2011 at 22:00 | IP Logged Quote PDLines

Regarding Engine Weight:

I don't know what models people are referring to but the 2010-11 model with the 25HP and 30HP Nissan engines weigh exactly the same.  Check out the specs.  It's the same block.  I called Nissan directly and they confirmed this is true.  The HP difference comes from the computer chip settings.

For me, I chose the Evinrude.  It's 17 pounds lighter than the Nissan models at 30HP.

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: June 23 2011 at 22:51 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

What is the year and model of that evinrude?

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: June 24 2011 at 00:36 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

I'd love to hear from someone with the new Evinrude etec 30 hp efi outboard.  The reviews on that engine are all very positive.

My engine is a Mercury 25 hp 2 stroke that is ridiculously light.  It easily starts manually on the first pull every time.  I hear the new etec is even better and twice as fuel efficient.

SWSportsman
"Seaman"

Posted: July 01 2011 at 07:51 | IP Logged Quote SWSportsman

I'm glad to see this thread being carried on as well. I don't have my CraigCat yet, but hope to soon.
Back to Top Printable version View SWSportsman's Profile Search for other posts by SWSportsman

]
] ]
13 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version