View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

CraigCat
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>CraigCat
Subject Topic: Any CraigCat Owners? Post ReplyPost New Topic
13 Pages « 9 10 11 12 13
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
shuterking
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 08 2011 at 07:47 | IP Logged Quote shuterking

heck,  its getting cooler and where i am  lower tides,  im using my cat every weekend for fishing the shallow creeks......  jusy have to bundle up....
Back to Top Printable version View shuterking's Profile Search for other posts by shuterking

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: November 08 2011 at 09:29 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

It's been cool where I am in Florida it is high in the 60's but the wind has been very strong and waves are choppy inland. The ocean is churned up.  I am waiting for a nice warm day to go out.

shuterking
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 08 2011 at 09:34 | IP Logged Quote shuterking

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?23630-crys tal-river-11-05....windy-but-workable

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?22633-CRYS TAL-RIVER-10-29.-Exploring

the following is some fishing reports in my craig cat,   youll be able to see the shallow water i go in ...hope most of you enjoy report

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 25 2013 at 11:28
Back to Top Printable version View shuterking's Profile Search for other posts by shuterking

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: November 08 2011 at 09:37 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

Here on the Gulf Coast -Southwest Florida...Warm &
Sunny...Gorgeous!! high 84 today...that's why I moved here!   
Everyday is a CC day!!   

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: November 08 2011 at 22:32 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

My main waterway is the Colorodao river.  The flow (and depth) gets very unpredictable in the winter months due to much less orders for yards of water from down stream farms.  As a result there are numerous shallow (too shallow) sections.  This is how I ended up puncturing one of my pontoons as I hit an underwater obstacle.

I took my boat out last November to a local lake and the weather was in the mid 70's and no problems freezing etc.  The only thing is I don't like taking the CC into open large bodies of water.  It is perfectly capable to do it but that's not the point.  What I've noticed is that your proportions start getting off.  When you are in a narrower waterway going 25-30 mph things pass by you fairly quickly and you get a feeling of moving at a zippy pace.  Going the exact same speed in the middle of a larger lake doesn't give me the same zippy feeling but rather just the opposite.  It feels as though I'm barely moving.   Without the immediate scenery of the narrow waterway or even the wake of other boats to 'surf', I just don't seem to enjoy it as much.  I still enjoy it; just not as much!

So, I just choose to wait 'till spring when the rivers flowing at a good clip (deeper, warmer too) to resume boating.

Run a little fuel stabilizer or some Seafoam in your gas and you won't even have to winterize your engine if you run it from time to time throughout the winter.

Edited by Mr_Super-Hunky on November 08 2011 at 22:34
Back to Top Printable version View Mr_Super-Hunky's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Super-Hunky

shuterking
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 09 2011 at 07:22 | IP Logged Quote shuterking

hunky,   when puntured  did they fill up with water,  is it completly hollowin side??

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: November 09 2011 at 19:03 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Quote: shuterking
hunky,   when puntured  did they fill up with water,  is it completly hollowin side??

No. If you go several pages back, you will read my detailed ordeal and how I fixed it.

Short story,  your rotomolded polyethylene pontoons are filled with foam (similar to the expanding stuff in a can).  Should you ever compromise your pontoon (that you are aware of like a hole puncture), you want to dry out the inner foam asap.  When completely dry...as in days outside in the sun or a heatlamp in the garage, fill any void left in the pontoon with expandable foam (can example again).

You must now 'close' the hole with something suitable.  I used a cut out section of a VERY thick polyethylene bucket lid.  VERY thick.  I cut out a size approx that of a half dollar to cover up a hole the size of a dime.  This gave me plenty of contact surface area all around the patch.   You MUST (NO EXCEPTIONS) use an epoxy specifically formulated for use with polyethylene.  Again... NO EXCEPTIONS as it will not stick if you don't.  You will want to use 3M's Scotch-WeldTM Structural Plastic Adhesive DP-8005 for bonding polyethylene.

Don't worry if after you fill a dry puncture hole with foam if the foam continues to expand a bit.  Just let it completely air dry and carefully trim off the excess with a hot knife.

After the patch has cured, you may want to 'feather' down all the edges with a 4'' grinder using a sanding disc.  Worked perfectly for me, several years going now.

Edited by Mr_Super-Hunky on November 09 2011 at 19:06
Back to Top Printable version View Mr_Super-Hunky's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Super-Hunky

shuterking
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 09 2011 at 20:13 | IP Logged Quote shuterking

thanks, good to know  you would not sink in seconds,   as you can tell i go over a lot of hard bottom  and some day  i might need your advise,  thanks again

cctowboat1
"Seaman"

Posted: November 26 2011 at 09:16 | IP Logged Quote cctowboat1

Marco River Snook Inn 11/25/2011, any of you cruise by, I saw a CraigCat go by

Back to Top Printable version View cctowboat1's Profile Search for other posts by cctowboat1

cctowboat1
"Seaman"

Posted: November 26 2011 at 09:18 | IP Logged Quote cctowboat1

How do ya post pictures on this site?
Back to Top Printable version View cctowboat1's Profile Search for other posts by cctowboat1

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: November 26 2011 at 09:32 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

CCtowboat- we have been to the Snook Inn on Marco island,
but it was not us...we live and CC near Englewood, Fl above Ft
Myers...

post pics - use the icon that looks like a "tree" above
this...you need to have yor pics in "Photobucket' and watch
what search engine you use...sometimes I have trouble with
google...I'd use internet explorer...good luck, and if at first it
doesnt work, keep trying ...it will...

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: November 26 2011 at 10:16 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

I am unable to post pictures as well...i have in the past, pretty
easily, i'm thinking it's on the "Boat U.S." side...if anyone
figures it all out, can you let me and CCTowboat
know?...Thanks!

Edited by oceanview21 on November 26 2011 at 10:22

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: November 26 2011 at 23:36 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

How to post pictures online....

1.) Your digital pictures need to be hosted online. I use www.photobucket.com  It's free.  Simply upload them to a host.

2.) Upload your digital pics to a host like photobucket and simply copy and paste the direct image link to this site in your reply.   It is the one that starts with IMG..

That's it.

You see, it works!  I'll show you.

Edited by Mr_Super-Hunky on November 26 2011 at 23:37

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: November 27 2011 at 08:17 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

Hmmm..didn't work yesterday...Thanks! S-H

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: November 27 2011 at 21:29 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Wow, that water looks so inviting.  Great pic Oceanview21

Seabee 1
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 22 2012 at 18:19 | IP Logged Quote Seabee 1

Hello, new owner here so I'm checking in with you folks. I just purchased a 2010 CC E2 Elite with a 30 HP Nissan, I am located on the FL/AL line. This was a very active site with some great info until 11/27/11(last one I could find) then it went dead in the water for some reason, so I followed the FB link and made a post there.

I hope everyone's year is getting off to a good start.

Back to Top Printable version View Seabee 1's Profile Search for other posts by Seabee 1

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: January 22 2012 at 18:38 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Welcome Seabee, forum slows down when the weather gets cold. It will pick back up when  boaters get back in the water.

Pat from SC
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 22 2012 at 19:59 | IP Logged Quote Pat from SC

Went out with my CC Hybrid with my sister and my dog Lucky about a week ago to the Fishing Creek Reservoir in SC.  I'll try to go out again on Tuesday if it's not too windy. 

Bayfront
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 22 2012 at 20:39 | IP Logged Quote Bayfront

So I finally took the plunge just after Christmas.  I purchased a E2 Elite in the Key West Yellow.  The first weekend in January it hit 70 degrees (for a brief period!) so I had no choice but to go out on a maiden voyage.  The water spray in the face was just a tad chilly but the air temp was warm.  Here's the youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EAXXhdQfgs

Edited by Bayfront on January 22 2012 at 20:45
Back to Top Printable version View Bayfront's Profile Search for other posts by Bayfront

Pat from SC
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 22 2012 at 21:09 | IP Logged Quote Pat from SC

Congrats Bayfront.

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: January 22 2012 at 22:34 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Welcome Seabee1.  Congrats on your new purchase.  when you get a chance, post up some pics. 

Pat. I love the doggie vest.  great pic.

Bayfront, great looking boat.  That yellow sure stands out.  I have never seen a yellow one in person.  Are the pontoons the yellow pigment throughout the entire thickness of the plastic?  i.e if you scratch it against something will it still be yellow below the scratch?  And tell me that motor is NOT the new Evinrude etec so I don't have to be jealous!!

Seabee 1
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 23 2012 at 00:38 | IP Logged Quote Seabee 1

Thanks for the welcome, really like Bayfront's video and the yellow looks great.
Back to Top Printable version View Seabee 1's Profile Search for other posts by Seabee 1

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: January 23 2012 at 16:11 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Anyone ever see or check out of of these ?

They are called a "Zego" and are very similar to our Craigcats.  Same power (25-30 hp) seating for two (one behind the other like a jet ski), but it seems that they have a useable forward deck.  Could be nice for fishing or hauling stuff.  You can find more info on them at http://zego.biz/usa/

They look cool but I prefer the side by side seating of the CC.  Competition is good however as it brings about better products as well as keeps pricing competitive.  I'd like to see one of these in person to check it out.

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 25 2013 at 11:29

Bayfront
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 23 2012 at 17:59 | IP Logged Quote Bayfront

Mr. Super Hunky, the pontoons are yellow throughout so any scratches that may show up will be yellow as well.  If asked, I will have to plead the fifth in regards to your statement wondering if the motor is the new Evinrude ETEC.  However, I am allowed to post more pictures.

Back to Top Printable version View Bayfront's Profile Search for other posts by Bayfront

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: January 23 2012 at 21:44 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Sweet boat Bayfront.  The yellow pigment throughout the thickness of the pontoons is fantastic.  No worries about scratches .   Your ETEC motor is the new high tech standard amongst the new 2 strokes too.

I'm jealous. 

Wanna trade?  The white ones are faster!  lol.

Seabee 1
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 27 2012 at 09:48 | IP Logged Quote Seabee 1

Good morning everyone, hope your week has been good. I have a question that I think you may be able to help me with; I know some people have talked about the hard steering issue in the past (my is very hard to the left), but I never saw a solution to the problem for the folks that said I "use to" have steering problems but it's ok now. Mine is a 2010 with 177 running hours and I wouldn't think that it would need a new cable yet. The cable "looks long", how long is the cable suppose to be? Also, I am running a SS prop. Anyone have any input on this one?

Edited by Seabee 1 on January 27 2012 at 10:03

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: January 27 2012 at 10:30 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Try turning the trim tab in the bottom of the motor all the way to the left to counter the torque.

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: January 27 2012 at 19:43 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Seabee1.  If you are using a SS prop, you may notice the turning problem more than others as your prop has almost no blade flex and as a result will *bite* into the water with less distortion than other matterials.

SS props [like the Powertech] are great for top speed and I'd love to have one but they also have less *give* than anything else and can possibly accentuate certain handling charactoristics.

Steering cables can get stiff and dirty over time.  Cleaning them with WD40 and then thoroughly wiping them down can help as others have mentioned.

I would see no reason to replace a perfectly good cable just because it is dirty.  The new one will become that way too.  I wouldn't put anything else on your motor other than the existing trim tab as I've tried and it noticeably slowed down the boat.

If your boat steers effortlessly to the left when sitting on the trailer, then the problem is obviously NOT your cable as you've just proven that to yourself.  If this is the case and your boat is only difficult to steer left under load [high throttle], then the prop torque issue that has been discussed at length may be your issue.

CraigCat
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 28 2012 at 10:07 | IP Logged Quote CraigCat

Yes I agree, no since in replacing a perfectly good cable.  If the boat steers just fine without moving it is not you cable.  What kind of SS prop are you using?  Chances are it is nothing more than adjusting the trim tab.  Powertech props are the only prop to use on the older Merc 25hp 2 strokes which we stopped using in 2005.

www.craigcat.com
Back to Top Printable version View CraigCat's Profile Search for other posts by CraigCat

Army Guy (RETIRED)
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 17 2012 at 19:31 | IP Logged Quote Army Guy (RETIRED)

I just put a new craigcat in the water. Ran fine for a few minutes. Then dies when adding throttle. Water is coming out the peep hole and it restarts fine but dies when you add throttle. I got scared and pulled it out of the water. When I got it home, put on the rabbit ears, water on, cranked and ran it full throttle ten minutes, everything fine. Any ideas??? I thought maybe the motor wasn't all the way down, something? My wife, thank god, wasn't with me. After I bought a new boat, it has a problem, I will be in the doghouse. Help if you can.

Edited by Army Guy (RETIRED) on March 02 2012 at 00:21

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: February 18 2012 at 15:21 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Welcome to the Craigcat forum Army Guy.  From what you describe, it sounds as though your engine is starving for fuel.  Be sure to prime your motor using the priming bulb and also make sure your air vent on your gas tank is OPEN!

One time I was fully fueled up and just after I took off, my engine kept sputtering just like you describe.  I had forgot to open the vent on my gas tank and created an air lock.

Also check your fuel line from the tank into the engine as well as any filters to ensure you have enough gas and no clogs in filters.

If all else fails, take a video and post it up.  Better yet, contact your dealer.  If this is a new boat, you should be under warrantee.

Army Guy (RETIRED)
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 02 2012 at 00:44 | IP Logged Quote Army Guy (RETIRED)

Just  to update everyone, I dropped the Craigcat at my local Mercury dealer and  they put it to the test.  It was a brand new boat, motor and trailer.  The  cost was 319.00 to fix it!  Old gas in the motor, yadda, yadda!  They returned my (NEW) boat with scrapes down the left side where they obviously hit something!  I took it tho the lake and logged a couple of hours with the most fun  boat I have ever owned!!! I spoke to a Game Warden in SC who saw the dealer rep playing with my boat at Lake Murray on the same day I picked it up!The people at Craigcat have been very helpful and the fact that I bought a 2009 Elite 2 for $5000.00 instead of the dang near $14000.00 on thier website makes me not even worry about the little scratches on the  (NEW) boat!!!  I'll see you on the lake, Sincerely, Sarge  Thanks for all the helpful replys to my post!!!

thebulldog
"Seaman"

Posted: March 02 2012 at 09:23 | IP Logged Quote thebulldog

awesome! 
Back to Top Printable version View thebulldog's Profile Search for other posts by thebulldog

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: March 02 2012 at 15:27 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Remember, *Seafoam* is your friend!  It was originally  developed for the marine industry as an additive to prevent your fuel from going bad. 

If you already let old gas sit in the motor for a while and have some varnish buildup, unscrew the spark plug and squirt a little down the hole, replace the plug and let sit overnight.

The next day, put some Seafoam in a spray bottle and spray some into your air intake of the carburator just after it starts.  Your engine will smoke like crazy but that is good because you are decarbonizing the builtup crud in your engine.

Seafoam is the ONLY product of its type that has actually worked for me when I lock up a 2 stroke engine (leaf blower, chainsaw, lawm mower, hedge trimmer, weed wacker etc).  I have LITERALLY locked up every single one of these tools since I live in Arizona and it is not uncommon for your garage to get 130* in the summer months and dry up the fuel in the lines leaving behind varnish.

A YouTube search on Seafoam will show you many people using it on their cars, trucks, boats, whatever.  It works.  Save the $300 bucks, go to Wallyworld and buy a can for $8.00 and you'll be set.

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: March 02 2012 at 15:32 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

BTW, Armyguy, pics are a MUST!  This has turned into a really great thread with lots of great pics.  We've got new Craigcats, old ones, electric ones, and now even the new yellow ones with the incredible etec motor (I'm SOOO jealous!)

Let's see this thing!

Edited by Mr_Super-Hunky on March 02 2012 at 15:33

thebulldog
"Seaman"

Posted: March 02 2012 at 16:37 | IP Logged Quote thebulldog

speaking of pics...here is a pic of my re-engineered inline seating CC...i'm 6'2" 300 lbs...and sitting on one side or the other didnt work for me...so i decided to try this setup and it works great...i've lost a little speed due to the center of weight moving forward slightly, but it works excellent!

Back to Top Printable version View thebulldog's Profile Search for other posts by thebulldog

Bayfront
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 02 2012 at 16:43 | IP Logged Quote Bayfront

Wow,  Check out those gigantic coolers!  Nice modification on the seats!

Edited by Bayfront on March 02 2012 at 16:45

TWINS
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 02 2012 at 07:31 | IP Logged Quote TWINS

Hello all, just checking in for the first time!

I saw a CraigCat go by us on the St Johns River last week
and it was the first time I've seen one of these. Very
interesting! I've now read the posts in this forum and
have a pretty good idea of the boat and need some help.

Questions:

1) Stability.....have there been any stories of these boats
tipping over?

2) How well do they perform with only one person on
board?

3) Are there only a few engine models that work or are
recommended? I have a newer 20HP 4 stroke Honda.
Wouldn't that work?

4) Has anyone ever done an enclosure so that it would be
more comfortable in cold or rainy weather? Like some
eisenglass and canvas?

5) Has anyone put a platform across the front two
pontoons for fishing?

6) What other sources of information on the CraigCat, like
this forum can you recommend.

Thanks for your answers and advise. I'm hoping to join
the Craigcat enthusiasts with a new or used craft.

I'm in Florida now, plan on being in the Chesapeake this
summer. We originally hail from the Great Lakes area and
travel to Michigan regularly. TWINS is the name of my
current boat, named after my grandtwins Ben and Mia.

Thanks, Jim

bepar108
"Seaman"

Posted: April 02 2012 at 10:09 | IP Logged Quote bepar108

Hi Jim,
Welcome to the forum.  You have found your way to a wonderful resource regarding the CC boat and to the ingenuity of its owners.  You mentioned that you read the posts in this forum, although there is much to read in 11 pages, you can be sure that doing so will really inform you to a huge amount of useful information.
As to your questions, let me try to answer them for you, and I am sure that once other members have read your post, you will receive much more information and advice.
1) I don't think you can tip this boat, even if you tried to do so.  Nor can you sink it.
2) They drive great with one person, actually with less the weight of a second person, you will be able to drive a bit faster.
3) the engine you have will work just fine.  It is recommended not to use anything over 30HP.  The 20HP you have just may not have enough ooomph to get you around at a speed of up to 30mph.  But if speed is not your thing, it should be fine.
4)Not that I know of.  It doesn't seem to be the type of boat conducive to that.
5) You can stand on the existing platform as well as on the pontoons.
6)The manufacturer website.  craigcat.com., as well as youtube, which has fun videos of people using this boat.
PS:  It is worthwhile for you to somehow get a test drive in one of these boats.  Dealers are far and few between, but i highly recommend a test drive before you buy one.
Back to Top Printable version View bepar108's Profile Search for other posts by bepar108

robsnyder20
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 02 2012 at 10:57 | IP Logged Quote robsnyder20

I replaced my steering cable last weekend as it was so bad, it was literally unmovable.  I first of all took it off and tried to lubricate it, but it appeared to be rusty on the bar where it moves the motor back and fourth, took it out and actually tried to clear the rust by using an angle grinder on it.  It helped but still was working very poorly.  The motor on the flip side, moved with just my pinky finger.   I wasn't sure what size cable to reorder, so I ordered a new 8' cable which was too long but still does work.  If anyone here needs to reorder the cable like I did, since I take it out on salt water all of the time (SW florida), order the 7' cable.  Now turns very easy and only took an hour.  The part number for the correct cable is RC0700.  This is for the 2004 craigcat, so yours might be different depending on if they changed it or not.  Heck, if the only major thing I have to do is replace the cable every few years, thats not that bad at all.  I ordered the new lever (Had the Ezy-Glide II model), a new ball and lever (as the old one is bent), and the replacement cable for $141 shipped from www.boatersplus.com.  Just thought I would throw out this information since it wasn't out there on the forums as I looked.

Have fun with your CC this summer all!

]
] ]
13 Pages « 9 10 11 12 13

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version