View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

CraigCat
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>CraigCat
Subject Topic: Any CraigCat Owners? Post ReplyPost New Topic
13 Pages « 9 10 11 12 13
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: October 26 2011 at 12:15 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

Okay Floridaman-- but can you tell me something I don't
know...LOL

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: October 26 2011 at 13:15 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Quote: shuterking
florida,  i mite look into the bigger tank my self,  the purchased the tilt after one trip and trying to raise motor. just needed  to add prop guard.let me know if you find tank and take a pic,   i dont have much room  because of trolling motor battery

This is the cheapest 9 gal tank I have found on the internet. Others sell about $10 more.

http://www.pbsboatstore.com/moeller-9-gallon-portable-fuel-t ank.htm

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: October 26 2011 at 15:34 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Oceanview21

Your idea of a center keel probably won't have much affect as it is located in the center (think pivot point) of the boat.  The prop torque effects will still be noticeable (although probably a bit less) because the boat can still 'pivot' around in the center.

The most proven method (as used in all tunnel hull designs...Zapcat etc) is to have a highjacker rail along the bottom of the pontoon as shown in previous posts.  another method would be to mimick a giant waterski and put a fin (like a surfboard has....for the same reasons 'stability') on the bottom of each rear pontoon.  This would have more effect than a center mounted keep as it is as far from the pivot point as you can get.  Still, it won't be as effective as a rail running along the entire length of the pontoon as that method has exponentially more surface area to resist the forces.

Bepar wrote, 

Mr. S-H,
Regarding the issue of adverse yaw, which you explain as the reason for difficult steering, I was wondering why the problem of hard steering doesn't happen to all of us.  The same for the prop hitting the pontoon on fully loaded boat making sharp turns.  Do some boats flex under that condition and some not?  It seems if your theories are "physics" related, they should occur to all the boats under the same conditions. 

, Not only do no two boats respond exactly the same, but even the same boat will respond differently with different riders.  Since these boats are very similar to the concept of waterskiing (2 big skiis that are self powered), think of the differences between a novice skier on two skiis for the first time as opposed to a seasoned salolom course skier with several feet off the rope.  The difference in angles of the skiis and forces applied to them is dramatically different.

I can EASILY avoid chopping up my pontoons every single time out without exception by just not taking sharp turns under load.  Simple fix.  Then again, if I wanted too (I don't!) I could EASILY chop up my pontoons on every single turn without exception if I wanted to by just going W.O.T into a very sharp turn under power.  Full power!  Just like a downhill skiier or a salolom course skiier, the angle on my skiis (or pontoons) will be dramatically different.  Under heavy loads, our boats ARE designed to flex (which is why the deck in so narrow in the middle).  Too much flex under load in a tight turn brings the pontoons in contact with the prop.  chop chop!

Again, my boat steers to the left almost effortlessly (think pinky finger) even when in the water, so long as the prop is not turning.  The faster the prop spins, the more opposite forces are applied.  This is why propellor airplanes, helicopters, hovercraft etc ALL have trim tabs to oppose these forces and keep you going straight. 

The addition of some type of keel, rail, whatever along the bottom of the pontoon would certainly help the "slip" factor but could also pose a few other problems such as how the boat would sit on a trailer in addition to having less clearance in skinny water.  I think some type of accessory could be added so those who could benefit from some type of stabilizer rails could add them if desired while others can simply put about and be just as happy.

Edited by Mr_Super-Hunky on October 26 2011 at 15:37
Back to Top Printable version View Mr_Super-Hunky's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Super-Hunky

bepar108
"Seaman"

Posted: October 26 2011 at 15:50 | IP Logged Quote bepar108

Quote: shuterking
florida,  i mite look into the bigger tank my self,  the purchased the tilt after one trip and trying to raise motor. just needed  to add prop guard.let me know if you find tank and take a pic,   i dont have much room  because of trolling motor battery

Shuterking: there will be no room for a 9 gal. tank in back of the seats if you keep the trolling motor back there.  The only place for that 9 gal tank is in place of the original tank but with added length which goes right where the trolling motor is placed.
Mr. S-H: I have no problems with steering effort, nor prop rip-up after duplicating your sharp turn scenarios several times.  Maybe CC has made changes in the newer boats that eliminate these problems.  

Back to Top Printable version View bepar108's Profile Search for other posts by bepar108

CarolinaKitty
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 26 2011 at 16:29 | IP Logged Quote CarolinaKitty

I too usually have around 450 pounds of persons and gear on my Craig Cat.  I never have a problem with it slipping when making a turn even when under full power so an additional rudder would not be necessary with my boat.  It always tracks true and I do a lot turns on our crooked Southern coastal rivers.   I also agree that each boat will handle differently.  I never get a flexing of my pontoons when making a turn and thus don't have the problem with the prop hitting the pontoon.  I cary my extra gas tank forward on the boat just behind the splash guard.  Doesn't look that great but it works.  The added weight forward also gets me on plane sooner.  However, I can tell when the gas gets lower in the main tank by the way the boat handles and then pull over to transfer some fuel to the main tank.   If I am by myself, I sit the extra gas tank in the passenger seat to even out the weight distribution.  60 or 70+ mile excursion in a day is not unusual for me so I usually have to use the extra fuel or buy some along the way.

The trim tab adjustment and trim accessory on my 25 HP makes my boat steer easy in either direction. 

Love my Craigcat!!

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: October 26 2011 at 16:34 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

When you go 60+ miles, what is your approximate throttle rpm and what is your mpg? I will be installing a tachometer on mine to see where the sweet spot is between speed and mpg.

Bayfront
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 26 2011 at 17:33 | IP Logged Quote Bayfront

What to do, what to do.  I'm getting some great ideas from this forum regarding the CC.  Here's the quandary I'm in. I fell in love with the CC the first time I saw it.  I live on the Chesapeake Bay and when I talk to the locals, they say I'm nuts for wanting one of these (saying the Bay is too rough, CC not practical, etc.) Maybe that explains why there is no dealer close by. They say I should get an inflatable, or a small boat and that if I do buy a CC I'll be unhappy after the first week.  I guess my problem is I talk to too many people instead of going with a gut instinct.  This is starting to drive my nuts!
Back to Top Printable version View Bayfront's Profile Search for other posts by Bayfront

shuterking
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 26 2011 at 17:40 | IP Logged Quote shuterking

criag cats are misunderstood by most,people just dont get it,  they say that thing will tip...they dont,   i run in the gulf and rivers fine even with a chop they handle good,   it surfs over the waves, you need to ride in one before you buy and try in a chop .when its too ruff  its usually ruff in any small boat. im sure others will chime in shortly
Back to Top Printable version View shuterking's Profile Search for other posts by shuterking

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: October 26 2011 at 23:31 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Bayfront, by far the best thing you can do is take a long test ride on a Craigcat on the body of water you will be using it on.  Is there any way you can rent one for the day somewhere?

The advice the locals in your area are giving you may be valid.  The CC handles best and is most enjoyable on smooth, calmer water.  Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE 'surfing' my CC on other boats wake waves but boating on rough choppy water is no fun as you just get beat up the whole time.  This is due to not having a "V" hull to slice/chop thru the waves.  Riding the CC in medium or larger chop can become brutal sooner than later.  Also, the CC doesn't do to well in the 'practical' dept either as there is not a whole lot of room for....well anything.  Still, I didn't buy my boat for 'practical' reasons.  I purchased it for side by side fun for myself and my wife. (She doesn't like the idea of staring into my back the entire day on the back of a jet ski).  Also, jet skiis are HORRIBLE on fuel consumption.  My friends uses 8 galls per hour avg usage.  If you had two skiis for you and your wife, that could possibly equate to 16 galls/hour.  Even at the *accurate* fuel consumption rate of 2-2 1/2 galls/hour for the CC, it beats the pants off just about anything else. 

Just think, two people on one CC for 8 hours W.O.T = 16-ish galls fuel consumed.

Two people on two jet skiis W.O.T for 8 hours = 128-ish galls consumed!.....WOW!  BIG difference. 

16 galls x $4.00/gall (marina prices) = $64.00.  128 galls x $4.00/gall (same marina prices) = $512.00

So, using the high end of real world fuel consumption rates, one FULL day (8 hrs) on a Craigcat will run you $64.00 while the same full day on two jet skiis will cost $512.00.  That's also not to mention two new jet skiis will cost nearly double of one new Craigcat.

Of course different ski models will vary on fuel consumption but even the best rated ski (Yamaha VX) on fuel economy still consumes around  4-5 galls/hour.

If your gut tells you to get a CC then maybe you should.  As fellow forum members we're just looking out for you and trying to avoid you ending up with a large depreciation hit.  If it were me, I'd find a rental somewhere even if you have to travel a bit to find one.  It will either meet all of your needs removing the "unknown", or you may find yourself wanting to think about it a bit longer.  What you really need right now is not a new boat but rather information.  Once you have that information, you will be able to make a much better decision.

Back to Top Printable version View Mr_Super-Hunky's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Super-Hunky

Bayfront
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 27 2011 at 06:29 | IP Logged Quote Bayfront

Thanks S-H for some great advice.  I've searched pretty hard around here for a rental place with no luck.  Maybe the best bet is to take the wife on a weekend plane trip (cheapest city to fly to) to the Gulf side of FL.  The Chesapeake Bay can be the "Jekyll and Hyde" of water.  Some days it's smooth as glass with swells less than a foot.  Other days, it's like a washing machine with 3-5 foot swells (I'd most likely stay home in any boat if the swells approached 4-5 ft.).

Your fuel comparison to wave runners is definitely an eye opener!  My wife doesn't like riding on the back of one and has no interest in operating one on her own.  I'm looking for something to cruise the shore line of the bay and take it further out on calm days.

I think a CC owners group on Facebook may help in locating more owners.  Anyone interested in starting one up?
Back to Top Printable version View Bayfront's Profile Search for other posts by Bayfront

CarolinaKitty
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 27 2011 at 08:35 | IP Logged Quote CarolinaKitty

Floridaman,

On my long trips I usually get abour 2 - 2.5 gallons per hour.  Not sure of the rpms since I don't have a tach but I usually run just under full trottle and according to my GPS this is at 20 MPH with my usual load.  The water on most trips is fairly calm.  My most common trip is down one of my local rivers to the coast (30 water miles) and then on the intracoastal waterway either north or south for another 20 miles or so.  My wife and I just like to cruise and take in the scenery.  And the shocked looks from others followed by a big hello wave isn't bad either!  Everyone usually asks if it's homemade.  

As for the other comments on the Chesapeake, I used to live on the bay and found that yes at times, you could get caught without warning in some pretty big waves.  If I had my CraigCat up there, I'd stick to the shore areas and the many rivers and coves along the edges.  The Annapolis and Baltimore areas used to have some great CraigCat water.  I'd only try to cross the bay if I was sure the wind was not going to be a problem.  It can get nasty in a hurry.  Any small boat in 3 - 5 foot swells is not fun.

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: October 27 2011 at 09:18 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

Bayfront-

I now live on the Southwest coast of Florida and take my
CC in the Gulf all the time... I am originally from SE Penna
and have water-skied and boated the Chesapeake...Turkey
Point, Green Island, the Northeast river, Conowingo etc ...

My experience with boats includes 21' with 350 CI inboard,
two 18's, two 16's, a 15' fiberglass and a 14'
aluminum...and of course, the best boat...my CC!!... I
owned these boats up north and here in SW Florida...all
with outboards except the 21' w/ 350...

All boats are uncomfortable in chop....in my opinion the CC
is less uncomfortable than any of the other boats I have
owned...The CC IS misunderstood by non-owners and
should not be taken into account with your decision,
because they (non-owners) just don't know what they are
talking about!

My wife and I rented a CC before buying ours...she loved it
immediately...it took more time for me (about an hour)
before I understood how superior this craft is to other
boats...hands down- the best boat I have owned!!

we have had it in the Gulf in 5' swells...never mind chop!

Every boat is more fun on smooth water! The CC is too,
however, I would rather be on my CC, than even the 21'
boat in chop or no chop...CC's are extremely stable in chop
or wake...more so than any boat I've owned! Less "slap"
on the water...

Since I have boated in the Chesapeake, they are days
when it is smooth and days when it is rough...same as any
body of water, pretty much.

I say buy the CC, you WILL NOT be disappointed...

On the rental issue...the water in the SW Gulf runs around
90 degrees in the summer...nice and warm for CC'ing...

In the last week or two, it has dropped to about 75
degrees, still warm by Northerner standards, but cold to us
SW Floridians...keep that in mind when planning to rent a
CC...If you need to find a rental place here with CC's they
are several close to my home...let me know and I can
direct you to them....

Bottom Line here...Buy a CC...far more fun! Far less
hassles than a traditional boat...Good Luck!

Keep in mind -- the CC advantages -- no bilge, no plug- no
anchor (unless you want one--not really needed) no high
gas $$...easy to tow (small car can tow it), easy to launch
and retrieve from the water/launch...and pretty
unique...your lucky if you ever see another on the
water!...Fun - Fun- Fun!!!

BTW...the MOST gas I have ever used with my CC has
been 4 gallons all day!..WOT for about 2 hours straight,
and less than wide open for about an hour or so...out for
about 4 hours total...on the beach (not running) for about
an hour....usually, we use about 3 Gallons all day... (25HP
Merc)...let us all know what you've decided...hope my
thoughts help you decide!...Oceanview...(should be
Gulfview...LOL)

newfields
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 27 2011 at 19:59 | IP Logged Quote newfields

Quote: Bayfront

I think a CC owners group on Facebook may help in locating more owners.  Anyone interested in starting one up?

Okay, here goes:

http://www.facebook.com/CraigcatOwnersGroup

It may take a bit before it can be searched in Facebook itself but then you start typing in craigcat and it will come up.

Feel free to post any photos or anything else helpful for that matter. The goal is to attract more cc owners to share even more. This thread is probably the best one on the internet concerning the Criagcat for the usefulness of information. There will be a link to it from that FB page so as CC owners find that they can learn about this forum as well.

Edited by newfields on October 28 2011 at 09:59
Back to Top Printable version View newfields's Profile Search for other posts by newfields

Pat from SC
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 27 2011 at 20:16 | IP Logged Quote Pat from SC

Newfields,

Thanks for the info you provided about stainless steel bolts
purchased at Home Depot. Can you tell me the rest of the parts I
would need? I want to purchase all the parts and have someone
install them for me. Thanks.

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: October 27 2011 at 23:34 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Pat,

You can re-use the rectangle and round stainless  or aluminum washers if they are not rusted. Make sure you use a lock washer or self locking nut. I would also caution about over tightening the bolts because you can dig into the roto mold and crack it. With the original nylon bolts they would strip the threads before they damage the pontoons but the steel bolts would not strip out.

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: October 28 2011 at 01:02 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Hey everyone, I'm just curious what you tow your Craigcat with.  I use a volkswagen Jetta TDI and can barely tell it is behind me.  I'd bet you could tow this boat with a motorcycle if you really wanted too.  Talk about turning heads!

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: October 28 2011 at 08:24 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

I use a 4cyl Toyota 4 Runner and can't feel it at all. I also use the 4 Runner to pull a 22' pontoon boat and I have to take it off overdrive.

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: October 28 2011 at 09:23 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

I use our "beater" car...a 2002 Toyota Avalon...V6 with
142,000 miles...yes, I agree, you probably could tow with a
motorcycle, but that could be dangerous and you wouldnt be
able to launch it...lol

*** I signed into the Craigcat Owners page on Facebook!!

Thanks to Newfields for setting our page up on Facebook!!

Pat from SC
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 28 2011 at 09:55 | IP Logged Quote Pat from SC

Thanks Floridaman. I'll have someone change out the bolts when I
have my CC serviced.

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: October 28 2011 at 10:19 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

Pat from SC, also Floridaman...go to Facebook and look up
Craigcat Owners Group...then click on"Freind's Activity" on the
left hand side of the page...add your pics or view others pics,
share info etc...Thanks! Oceanview21

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: October 28 2011 at 11:46 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

www.facebook.com/craigcatownersgroup

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: October 29 2011 at 14:38 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Everyone PLEASE be careful when using Facebook.  I hate to be the party pooper but after just getting my email account hacked and needing microsoft to trace the culprit, I'm going to be very cautious when logging in to Facebook.

Just check out TODAYS news!

http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/10/28/8527819-facebo ok-says-600000-account-logins-compromised-every-day

As I was one of those people whos email addy was compromised, I'm going to be holding off the Facebook page for a while.  While I think it is a good idea to have a Facebook page, it just may not be  worth the penalty for failure should it not work out.  BTW, ALL of my 'contacts' in my contact file were compromised as well!  something to think about.

Edited by Sonja Lowe on October 16 2013 at 10:06

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: October 29 2011 at 16:44 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

Mr S-H

Hmmm...I use Facebook every day, along with my wife and
over 150 of our friends...been using FB for over two years
...never had a problem...sounds isolated..

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: October 29 2011 at 16:51 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

When using Facebook, if you have your account settings set to
allow only "Friends" no one can access anything unless you let
them...I'm sorry, but I do not see a problem here...(after
reading the article)

If you have your account settings to "Friends only" you get to
say who can access your account and who can't...plus, all you
have to do is not put any personal info on your FB
page...sorry, but again, there is no way this can happen
unless you have your settings open to anyone and have your
email address etc. listed for anyone to access...

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: October 30 2011 at 00:10 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

"There is no way this could happen"

Oceanview21, are you aware of keystroke bots?  You have an ISP address that is a commodity.  Rather than try and explain the numerous methods of hacking a Facebook account, I strongly urge you to google "How to hack a facebook account".  It happens all the time.  ALL THE TIME!.  Seriously, do the search.

If something never happened to you (or your friends), it doesn't mean these hackers don't exist.  I can personally assure you they do.  It means you are fortunate and have not had the problem.  In my situation, a keystroke bot had figured out my password and that is all they need.  Research keystroke programs and you will find out what they are capable of doing.  Even the Pentagon cannot keep top secret info secure with multiple safeguards in place.  To think there is "no way" someone can access your account......

Peer to peer networks are loaded with these bots.  If you've ever been on the original Napster, Kazaa, or any other peer to peer sharing network you are a prime candidate.  That's probably where my info was originally taken but as I said, your email addy is a commodity on the open market.  A bot can automatically try an almost infinite amount of combinations and ultimately figure out your password.

Facts are facts.  Do the research.

Edited by Mr_Super-Hunky on October 30 2011 at 00:21

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: October 30 2011 at 07:52 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

S-H

Nothing personal, but if I were afraid of being hacked with
every key-stroke, I'd stay away from the internet
entirely!...

Again, not trying to be smart or anything but really, if
Facebook can be hacked so easily I am sure there are a
million sites (maybe even this one) that can also be
hacked!
(In my humble opinion)

Enuf said about this subject from me...lets keep it about
CC's ...

oceanview21
"Seaman"

Posted: October 30 2011 at 07:59 | IP Logged Quote oceanview21

S-H

"If you've ever been on the original Napster, Kazaa, or any
other peer to peer sharing network you are a prime
candidate. That's probably where my info was originally
taken but as I said, your email addy is a commodity on the
open market."

Why then is your warning about Facebook?...

Now I'm finished with this conversation...lol

Try to enjoy your Craigact S-H...I know I will...in the low
80's here in SW Florida! gorgeous!

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: October 30 2011 at 18:55 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Oceanview21,  I'm sorry your opinion re internet sucurity is so misunderstood.  You had made a comment that "there is NO WAY" your personal information can get hacked on Facebook.  This is in the face of literally countless current articles re addressing this very subject.  I asked you to do a search on this topic.  did you?

According to your logic, Facebook (a social networking site) is more secure than the most secure entity on the planet (The Pentagon)!  Are you aware that the Pentagon recently got hacked into?  Rather than copy and paste endless articles regarding that fact, I encourage you to do a bit more research on that as well.

The reason I had brought this subject up is because as I said, my account DID get compomised as well as ALL of my contacts.  Without going in depth, bottom line is you have an individual ISP address as well as an email address.  The only missing link is your password.  A keystroke program can literally trace every single keystroke you have ever made on your computer.  Since passwords usually follow the input of your email addy, a keystroke program can easily find out your password.  Once it does,  your toast!

Assuring people that they are 'safe' based on the logic that you have never had a problem is simpy not sound advice and flies in the face of verifiable facts.

I DO agree with you that it is very easy to get OT on an internet forum and we should probably all just stick with the topic of the forum.  I'll try and adhere to that mindset more in the future to avoid potential conflicts/disagreements. 

Moving forward, I just winterized my Mercury engine for the winter months with fuel stabilizer.  Be sure to add stabilizer to your fuel and possibly a little Seafoam as well.  Don't forget to run the engine for several minutes to get the stabilized fuel into the carbs.  This is pretty much all I do because we have extremely low humidity (single digits) so no moisture/rust on cables etc.  I'm sure members in more humid climates may have to lube (and then wipe off) their cables but still not much to do.  I change the lower gear oil every spring using a threaded nipple and a pump. 5-10 minute job. Check and clean the spark plug and the motor is good to go.  1st pull starts it every single time.

Bayfront
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 30 2011 at 20:19 | IP Logged Quote Bayfront

Does anyone have mounting pics of a depthfinder or GPS?  How about a brand/type recommendation?

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: October 30 2011 at 21:21 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

I ran my motor today since I have not had it in the water for several months due to medical problems. It took about five cranks of the starter with me pumping the bulb to get it started. I finally installed the Tiny tac and adjusted my idling rpms between 750 and 800 rpm. I am waiting for a nicer weekend to take it out and check the max rpm on WOT and my gps speed. We will have nice warm weekends still in Florida before Thanksgiving.

I have the older pvc pipe trailer and have not been able to use the transom saver for this trailer. The last owner I purchased this from never used it because he could not figure it out either. The end with the large U metal piece is too small to go around the pipe and trailer frame. Has anyone been able to use this transom saver? The newer trailers have a different set up where a  small U shaped piece is welded to the trailer frame that attaches with a pin. If you have the older style trailer please post a picture of how you are able to use this piece.

Edited by floridaman on October 30 2011 at 22:33

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: October 30 2011 at 22:39 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Here is the Craigcat owners manual.  If you scroll down to 'trailering' you will see a pic of the transom saver/motor support bracket.

http://www.craigcat.com/pdf/2011%20Owners%20manual.pdf

It looks like nearly anything can be rigged up to support the engine.  You may have to fab up something.  Some flat stock and square tubing could work if you have a welder and a way to cut metal (chop saw?).  If not, you could probably buy some type of bracket with a pin  or hinge to allow it to move and possibly drill and bolt on the pipe/tube.  This would only require a drill and a hack saw.

What ever you end up with, pics are a must!

Edited by Sonja Lowe on October 16 2013 at 10:08

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: October 31 2011 at 00:28 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Thanks SH, that picture is for the newer trailers without the pvc pipes. The older trailers that have the pvc pipes have a different looking transom saver that I cannot fasten on the trailer end. 

I just found a transom saver picture that look like the one that came with the boat and it is for a roller mount and the CC trailer do not have rollers. No wonder it would not fit. I would have to cut off the U shape end and rig something up.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/largeImagePopup.jsp?productId =737031 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8aECpa0WMY&feature=relat ed

Edited by Sonja Lowe on October 16 2013 at 10:10

bepar108
"Seaman"

Posted: October 31 2011 at 07:27 | IP Logged Quote bepar108

floridaman: here is a link for some parts that you may use for your transom saver mount, if you decided not to fabricate something yourself.
http://www.easternmarine.com/em_store/rollers/?gclid=CMfr8qT nkqwCFZJS7AodGUKHoA

Edited by bepar108 on October 31 2011 at 07:27
Back to Top Printable version View bepar108's Profile Search for other posts by bepar108

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: October 31 2011 at 10:44 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Thanks Bepar, I found the piece that would work on the internet. I looked at putting a roller in the back but the cost was about as much as a new transom saver with the U bracket. I found a stainless U bracket that they use to hold toilet partition walls in commercial bathrooms and it would work.

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: October 31 2011 at 10:48 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Quote: Bayfront
Does anyone have mounting pics of a depthfinder or GPS?  How about a brand/type recommendation?

Go into the CC website http://craigcat.com/accessories.html and see how they mount it on new cats.

Edited by Sonja Lowe on October 16 2013 at 10:10

CarolinaKitty
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 31 2011 at 13:27 | IP Logged Quote CarolinaKitty

FYI

I noticed that EBay has a 2007 CraigCat 2007 E2 Elite with a 25 HP listed for sale.  Says that it only has 70 hours on it.   Location.  Union Hall, Virginia, USA.

Check it out.

CarolinaKitty

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: October 31 2011 at 16:31 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

BTW, that transom saver would be SO easy to make with just scap metal lying around.

Find a pipe around the diameter of your round pipe and cut something around 1-2''.  You now will have say a 2'' wide pipe. [Wide napkin holder]. Cut that in half and you have the rounded piece.  The rest is just a short section of square tubing and a couple of pieces of flat stock welded together.

A $100.00, 100 amp lunchbox welder and just a 4'' grinder with a metal cut off wheel could make this thing.  A couple of small cuts and a few short passes with a welder and this could be built even by a first time novice in under an hour. (It's really a 10-15 minute job tops!).

If you don't own the tools, it may be possible to buy them cheaper, (or near the cost) of the part and make it yourself.   This way you still end up paying the same amount of money but you will now own these tools that can make just about anything in the future.   I own several welders of various sizes but can honestly say that it is my little Lincoln 110 lunchbox welder that gets used most frequently.  This is because most things you weld are not super thick.  If they were, they probably would not need as much welding done to them!   My little welder enabled me to modify a $199.00 Harbour Freight trailer (1,200 lb rating) which when the axle is moved backwards (to obtain proper tongue weight) works out incredibly well for the Craigcat.  I have been using it now for almost 4 years and it works perfectly.

Anyway, just a suggestion.  Fabbing stuff up is not for everyone however.  If you have the interest I would highly suggest giving it a try.  If not, that's fine too. 

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: October 31 2011 at 16:47 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Swivl-Eze SwivlEze Transom Saver 23"35"

Product rating:
No Product rating available yet.
Pricerange: $  32.23 - $  38.89
Product reviews: Write a review
Product description:

The SwivlEze Transom Saver protects your transom by supporting the weight of your motor while stabilizing both your engine and steering mechanism when you're trailering. The ProAdjustable head with thicker castings, an improved radius and adjustable toggles with replaceable rubber pads ensure years of protection. Sports and Outdoors > Boating and Sailing Accessories

Offers for Swivl-Eze SwivlEze Transom Saver 23"- 35"

Sometimes it's much easier to buy one already made.

Edited by Sonja Lowe on October 16 2013 at 10:12

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: October 31 2011 at 22:43 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Yeah, I'll admit for 30 bucks that's pretty hard to beat.  Great price!

Bayfront
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 07 2011 at 21:57 | IP Logged Quote Bayfront

Did everyone go to sleep?  So much forum activity and then zzzzzzzzz.  It's getting cooler here (upper 50's to lower 60's) and the bay looks very inviting.  I have a couple of questions.  For those that live in the cooler climates in the winter months but get a nice day every once in awhile, what is the proper attire if you want to go out on the water? I was thinking a 3 mil wetsuit (water temps are in the low 50's) would work well.  Also, I assume the CC's don't require a lot winterizing so would it be easy enough if you had a nice day to go for a ride and winterize it each time?

]
] ]
13 Pages « 9 10 11 12 13

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version