View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Sea Ray
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Sea Ray
Subject Topic: Engine RPM Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Puddle Duck
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 02 2007 at 11:50 | IP Logged Quote Puddle Duck

I have a 2006 Searay 175 with a 4 banger in it 134 ponies and a donkey. Changed props to a 4 blade al. and the tach went off scale, 7000.Rpm at wot. went back to the 3 bladed al. and wot was 4000.

Question is: is this normal?

Back to Top Printable version View Puddle Duck's Profile Search for other posts by Puddle Duck

midway
"Seaman"

Posted: April 03 2007 at 07:03 | IP Logged Quote midway

More information needed, prop sizes and pitch, 3 and 4 blade. To answer the question, no this is not normal, some change in rpm yes but not that drastic. Was the engine screaming, it should have been if turning 7 grand, or is there a tach problem that just caused the tach to jump that high? There could have been a prop hub problem with the 4 blade also. It also sounds like the 3 blade has a little too much pitch, you should be over 4000 rpm wot, more like 4400 to 4800 range. Hope this is of some help.

Puddle Duck
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 04 2007 at 19:23 | IP Logged Quote Puddle Duck

Midway:

Sorry it took so long to get back. I have written this darn thing twice and lost it both times. . The orginal prop was a 14.5 X17 pitch. I could get around 4k out of the engine at WOT. Then we hit a rock and dinged the prop, lots of rocks in Elephant Butte lake and not many fish. So I put on a new 4 bladed prop it is a 15.3 X 19 pitch the Tach went wild 7K then drop back to 5K and never was right to my way of thinking. Guess what we hit a rock again so Changed the prop to a 3 bladed 15 X 19 pitch. Tach settled down at 4k WOT and seems to be about right. Now we are going back to the first prop that came with the boat the 14.5 X17 pitch. We will try it this weekend and see how it runs. We had the boat in for the 20 hour check and it was after this that we had the problems.

When we hit a rock it is very slowly and like the last time I hit one it was with the trolling motor and still dinged the main prop. I am now looking for a rubber prop.

Puddle duck

Back to Top Printable version View Puddle Duck's Profile Search for other posts by Puddle Duck

midway
"Seaman"

Posted: April 05 2007 at 07:17 | IP Logged Quote midway

Just a thought from your last post, are you sure you were not trimmed too high and the prop blew out, it sounds as if you were running when this happened and this is a very good possibility. The size and pitch you should have actually dropped rpm not gained. imho.

Puddle Duck
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 05 2007 at 07:25 | IP Logged Quote Puddle Duck

Midway:

I was wrong about the 4 blade it was a 14.75 X 15 pitch. I looked at it last night to be sure. No we were not trimmed out of the water. Trim was full down then up a little but never more the 1/4 of the way up from full down. Yes we were running at the time.

Puddle Duck

midway
"Seaman"

Posted: April 05 2007 at 07:56 | IP Logged Quote midway

Then rpm would probably increased maybe to the 5k range, how you hit the 7k I do not know, I would not think it would have done that at the trim you were using, although strange things can and do happen at times. I am going to invite you to join www.clubsearay.com, that is where most of the old SRO group went when SRO closed and I think you were a member there.

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version