View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Doral
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Doral
Subject Topic: Like to hear about Doral 2005 Elegante Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
elegante33
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 01 2007 at 20:49 | IP Logged Quote elegante33

We recently purchased a 2005 Elegante and will take delivery first week of May 2007- we purchased from a yacht broker - it was origanally comissioned in August of  2007 and has 6 hours on her.

Would love to hear from anyone with the same boat with regard to performance, experiences , ( good and bad ) etc. 

Back to Top Printable version View elegante33's Profile Search for other posts by elegante33

Ernesto
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 02 2007 at 11:11 | IP Logged Quote Ernesto

elegante 33 -

Welcome to the Doral owners section! Please keep visiting, it's nice to have a community of Doral owners here. Where do you do your boating?

My wife and I own an Intrigue (next model down as I'm sure you know), and we love the boat.

As far as your question, I think more details will be needed for people to comment on performance. Is yours an inboard or an I/O? Which engines?

Good luck with her, I hope you had her surveyed before purchasing... I'd be curious to know why the boat has only 6 hours on her...

Oh, and did you mean that it was originally commissioned in 2006? If it was August 2006, your boat still has a good chunk of warranty time on it... Make sure you get the warranty transfered to your name.

Edited by Ernesto on April 02 2007 at 11:13
Back to Top Printable version View Ernesto's Profile Search for other posts by Ernesto

elegante33
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 02 2007 at 12:19 | IP Logged Quote elegante33

Great to hear from you Ernesto,

I did mean commissioned in August of 2006 and we have had the warranty transfered over into our names.

The drives are 6.2 I/O.

Why only 6 hours you ask. The broker who sold the boat to us explained that the original owner had decided that he needed a much bigger boat when he first took it out. He traded it to our  Broker ( a Cruisers dealer ) for a much larger Cruisers.

We take delivery early May and will bring it down the Trent / Severn to her home berth in Toronto.

Back to Top Printable version View elegante33's Profile Search for other posts by elegante33

TheoMD
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 02 2007 at 18:12 | IP Logged Quote TheoMD

Welcome:

Purchased my 2003 in 2005 with only 25 hrs on her very similar circumstances as yours. 

Engine problems Volov Penta 8.1 GiBf's included one non-functional alternator and a blown head gasket.

Boat problems - Leaking deck to hull joint.  See thread here about that.

Overall pleased with the boat and performance.  Any specific ? you have.

Back to Top Printable version View TheoMD's Profile Search for other posts by TheoMD

elegante33
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 02 2007 at 21:54 | IP Logged Quote elegante33

Thank you TheoMD,

Did read the thread about the leaking deck to hull joint. Sounds like you have that all sorted out. Thanks for posting that issue. Overall - a valuable learning experience for all of us.

Wondering if the engine issues that you had may have been attributed to lack of maintenance / lack of use by the previous owners? Did you buy from a dealer or broker?

We purchased from a broker. It would appear that he is responsible for turning over the boat ( in May ) with everything in working order. Hopefully , any major issues will be apparent.

If you have any pointers , they would be greatly appreciated.

TheoMD
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 03 2007 at 06:25 | IP Logged Quote TheoMD

The boat was maintained appropriately prior to my purchase.  I don't really know if lack of use contributed to the noted problems.  I think the alternator was just a bad alternator -replaced under warranty.  The blown head gasket also had no discernable cause. No overheat and the ECM's from BOTH engines were examined by VP.  This occured out of warranty, but VP picked up 1/2 of the repair bill.  We purchased the boat from a dealer (the original selling dealer) as a brokered boat.  It surveyed fine and all was in working order upon delivery.  The engine problems that have happened since then appear to be most likely secondary to the gremlins that often inhabit boats!

Pointers ?  Are there any specific areas of concern that you have.

Back to Top Printable version View TheoMD's Profile Search for other posts by TheoMD

Ernesto
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 03 2007 at 10:05 | IP Logged Quote Ernesto

elegante33 - make sure that you get all the canvas panels, porthole curtains etc...  If you were told the boat is being sold with the anchor and rode for example, make sure that's clear.

I bought my boat "new" as a leftover, and the dealer delivered it w/o a porthole curtain, and without the bimini boot. I just realized about the latter last week, as I had never decided to use it before. But it's annoying for me not to have it. So I'll probably have to go buy one.

The two main problems I've had with my boat is the cabin door alignment which they've "fixed" twice but still isn't perfect, and I've found the swim platform structure to be a bit lacking so I've added a third support (I believe the Elegante already has three, so you're probably fine). I'd still inspect the swim platform closely to make sure it's structurally sound. Doral platforms are huge, not particularly strong, and probably banged around a bit given how far out they stick.

I'd have the engines serviced if that hasn't been done... The boat's been sitting for a while... Hopefully the gear oil, engine oil, fuel filter etc are new. I hope they didn't let fuel sit in the system for all this time.

Back to Top Printable version View Ernesto's Profile Search for other posts by Ernesto

elegante33
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 03 2007 at 18:23 | IP Logged Quote elegante33

Theo & Ernesto,

Thank you for this excellent advise. It is greatly appreciated. As we plan to take a fairly long trip upon delivery - servicing the engines would seem like a good idea.

Another question I have is with regard to electronics. Currently there is a Raymarine A65 GPS / chart plotter. We are thinking of upgrading to the C120 which would incorporate Radar. We went to the closest Doral dealer who quoted $ 12000.00 CAN installed. This seems steep to us as the items required ( the dome and the screen ) are approx $ 4000.00 CAN. Is it me , or does $ 8000.00 for some cable and installation seem outrageous. Is there something that I am missing?  Any comments would be appreciated.

TheoMD
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 03 2007 at 19:37 | IP Logged Quote TheoMD

Yes it does!  The installation is fairly straight forward as is the running of cables. In your boat.  I have the raymarine rl70CRC plus and 4kw Raydome with DSM250.  This is the previous generation of Raymarine electronics.  Might consider purchasing the units from a marine electronics supplier and contact marine electronics company in your area to handle installation.

roger4
"Seaman"

Posted: April 04 2007 at 21:00 | IP Logged Quote roger4

Hello fellow Doral owners.  I just purchased a 2005 Elegante leftover.  Delivery in about 2 weeks.  I boat in Brick, NJ.  Any suggestions, tips?  Having Raymarine E80 display installed, otherwise it is ready for launch.

TheoMD
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 04 2007 at 21:02 | IP Logged Quote TheoMD

Welcome.  Would have the boat professionally surveyed even if it is new. Any specific ?'s that you have?

roger4
"Seaman"

Posted: April 04 2007 at 21:07 | IP Logged Quote roger4

Yes, I wonder and doubt it but could the merc engines be mnea 2000 compatible so I can interface with the raymarine E80 display for engine data?

roger4
"Seaman"

Posted: April 04 2007 at 21:10 | IP Logged Quote roger4

On the survey thought, good idea, but the boat is at the marina that the doral dealer is located at and it comes with the standard 2 year new boat warranty.  The boat has 21 hrs on it and I know the guy who drove it to the atlantic city boat show and put that time on it - he has a boat at my marina as well. 

elegante33
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 04 2007 at 21:22 | IP Logged Quote elegante33

Hey Roger,

Welcome to the Doral Boat Owner's Group. Look forward to hearing all about post delivery experiences.

Regards,

Todd

TheoMD
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 05 2007 at 05:56 | IP Logged Quote TheoMD

Roger:

For the several hundred dollars a survey will cost you will get additional peace of mind that the boat has been thoroughly gone through by a professional.  They may or may not find deficiencies, but these are much easier to adress within the warranty period.

The only major problems I have seen posted on the elegante/330 models was one with incorrectly prepared stringers that led to a significant water intrusion problem and my leaking deck to hull joint.  A little searching on Goggle should bring up the stringer problem thread.  The leaking deck to hull joint is posted in this forum

Ted

Edited by TheoMD on April 05 2007 at 06:00

roger4
"Seaman"

Posted: April 05 2007 at 21:43 | IP Logged Quote roger4

Thanks Ted.  Where in particular is the leak reported at the seam between the deck and the hull in a certain area - back front fore aft?  Do you know what the fix is - major repair or dealer gets out some fiberglass epoxy?

Roger

TheoMD
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 06 2007 at 05:50 | IP Logged Quote TheoMD

The leak was on the port side amidships.  The water intrusion could be seen by the vanity in aft state room.  (See the thread on the leak in this forum also link to the Surveyors report.)  The fix was removing the entire rub rail and rebedding the deck to hull joint properly.  This was done by the yard and covered by Doral.

Ted

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version