View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

CT - Ta Chaio
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>CT - Ta Chaio
Subject Topic: 41’ CT Ketch Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
mizzenman
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 21 2007 at 17:59 | IP Logged Quote mizzenman

Well I guess I will jump in here, I own a 1981 CT Ketch HIN #237, so far I have replaced batteries, she came with 2/ 12 volt starting batteries and I have switched to 4 T-105s. Pulled the prop shaft out and found massive crevice corrosion where the packing gland meets the shaft just the shaft was about $800.00. Rebuilt the propane system/ABYC specs. I am in the process of pulling all 6-billion srews out of the deck and checking for dry/wet rot. I am rebuilding both mast steps, which seems to be a common theme with these old girls,  but I had a huge chunk of White Oat in the barn so no problem. It looks like I will just go through and retab all of the bulkheads. And then start on the chain plates, redo all hatches/ mast wires/ rigging/ sails///then go sailing!!! I hope I haven't discoraged anyone? these boats require lots of work but the grin-factor for me is worth it. Ok all you other CT/Formosa owners lets hear it!
jerry
Back to Top Printable version View mizzenman's Profile Search for other posts by mizzenman

Penelope
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 22 2007 at 23:48 | IP Logged Quote Penelope

Hey, mizzenman, welcome.  Penelope, here.  Saw you over on the other forum as well.

Want to exchange boat photos?  garrseal@adelphia.net or fgarrett@lacsd.org.

I did a lot of what you are doing.....actually the boatyard did.  Replaced the packing gland (poor access) with a PSS (mechanical seal).  No more leaks.  Also went to golf cart batteries (got them all nicely installed and out they all came when the yard decided to cut an access plate to get to the shaft seal).

New mainmast step of Apitong, and painted the mast and spreaders while it was out and replaced the spreader lights.  Nice.  Mizzen step was fine, but replaced the jumper struts.  Wood doesn't scare me anymore....just keep painting!

Boat loves to sail  Motoring is another issue.  Went through two fuel injection pumps (yes, you read that right) before my husband pulled out the fuel tanks and replaced with Aluminum.  Added the "Filter Boss" as well.  Makes for a lot of hoses running around, but we can change filters without stopping the engine.  Worth it.

Got a three bladed prop, too.  Either it's helping, or I've gotten better at steering.  Maybe a little of both.

Cetol on all the wood.  I have wood cabinsides as well (over fiberglass).  Beatiful, but a lot of upkeep, good thing I enjoy it!  Using Cetol Marine Light, not my favorite, but it's forgiving and it works.

These are the boats you see in movies.  Think "Captain Ron", "50 First Dates", and "Sleepless in Seattle."  They're the pretty ones.  What people think a boat should look like.

Went sailing yesterday, 15-20 knot winds, boat practically sails herself.  We use the staysail, many people don't.  We don't have roller furling (yet).  Heaves to well, but want to try it with staysail, no jib.  Fun to experiment.  Very forgiving boat.

Got to get some more people over here!

Back to Top Printable version View Penelope's Profile Search for other posts by Penelope

mizzenman
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 23 2007 at 22:02 | IP Logged Quote mizzenman

Hi there Penelope, I have removed all fuel from tanks and installing two racor primeries with a bypass so I can change on the fly. My tanks are steel but are in good shape, pulled them wire brushed and repainted.
 What engine do you have? I have a perkins 4-154 ran good in the yard but will have to wait till summer to find out how she runs in the lake. I'm a diesel mechanic so have no fear when it comes to engine.
  I can't wait to sail her for the first time I have sailed a friends Island Packet 44 a bit and had stink boats on Lake Michigan my whole life but just can't wait till I feel the sails fill for the first time(just like Captan Ron) Both of my masts are varnished but I painted the tops of the spreaders white for UV protection. Where did you mount your batteries at? Put mine in the locker under the chart table seat and I'm a little worried about keeping her balanced out. Ordered a Lavac Head today, I'm trying to keep things as simple as I can, the old one was an electric so will be pulling that out. I'm going to varnish everything, living here in the High latitudes should give me a couple of years before I freak out from to much work on the teak, but I love the look, just like you said these are beautiful boats I will post pictures as soon as I get the winter cover off and get the interior put back together. My wife has girls night every wednsday night so I work/sleep on the boat that night. Well been a long day so got to go. Yup keep hoping for more of us crazy people to start posting, but maybe they are out sailing like I should be. Good to hear from you, We're on the three year plan but don't know if I can last that long, hope to see you out there one day.   jerry
Back to Top Printable version View mizzenman's Profile Search for other posts by mizzenman

kvw613
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 25 2007 at 11:09 | IP Logged Quote kvw613

Hi, this is Cherokee, out of SF Bay.  I have a 1974 CT-41.  Roller furling on jib and staysl.  Still love the teak decks though I haven't yet learned how to care for them.  I'm replacing the stbd fuel tank with aluminum right now.  I reduced the  size (and volume) of the tank to accommodate storage for fireplace wood .   Aluminum spars.  Chrysler-Nissan 43HP diesel w/ 3 bladed prop.  I've had her hauled out since January so I could do the tank, new speed  thru-hull,  new instruments,  interior woodwork,  hoses, etc, etc, etc.  Re-did the head plumbing, replaced the batteries,  removed a lot of old hoses and wires.  I think you can see a picture at the following yahoo link.

Back to Top Printable version View kvw613's Profile Search for other posts by kvw613

kvw613
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 25 2007 at 11:10 | IP Logged Quote kvw613

or you can try this...

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/kweitzman/photo/2949288042118326 87/1
Still won't work.

how does one post photos on this site?

Edited by kvw613 on March 31 2007 at 10:25
Back to Top Printable version View kvw613's Profile Search for other posts by kvw613

Penelope
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 28 2007 at 06:00 | IP Logged Quote Penelope

Hi!  I have the Volvo Penta 75 hp.  Now that it's running well, I love it.  Though I have occasional instrumentation problems (tach goes out and alarm goes on....falsely, my mechanic tells me....loose connection...he fixed but it comes back from time to time.  Intermittent, and causes me to not trust the alarm!  Need to trace the wires someday, see if I can tighten a connection, needless to say, the manual doesn't address it)

So, mizzenman, you're a diesel mechanic?  I am jealous....plan to take some classes.  These boats love to sail, but you still need a reliable engine!

kvw.....neither of your picture links worked!  :(

As for teak decks.....the less care the better!  Really.  If you are in clean water, a salt water bath is the best.  I need to do some re-caulking, which means removing the old caulk first.......and I haven't gotten around to that yet!  My decks were sanded once, never again, leaves that much less of them....especially over the screws.  Just let them weather.  You can gently scrub with a mixture of Wisk liquid detergent and clorox in water if you like.  I learned about that online....can't remember where.....but google teak decks and maybe you'll find that and more......

Back to Top Printable version View Penelope's Profile Search for other posts by Penelope

kvw613
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 28 2007 at 23:36 | IP Logged Quote kvw613

That link drives me nuts.  Worked once and thats it. 

Has anyone figured out how to drive these boats in reverse?  Every time I think I have it figured out, she does something different.  I want to try warping out of the slip, but am afraid of hitting the bowsprit on the piling.

Also, I just had a new aluminum fuel tank built to replace my leaking starboard tank.  That was a mess, I'm still pulling up fuel-soaked wood from the cabin sole.  When I install the new tank, can I just put it on a new sheet of plywood with the proper wedges and supports?  Does aluminum need to breathe?  If so, any suggestions for mounting the tank?

Edited by kvw613 on March 28 2007 at 23:38

Penelope
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 30 2007 at 00:06 | IP Logged Quote Penelope

I have a very hard time in reverse....but my neighbor who also has a CT41 gave me some advice that helps....he said....only try to steer in neutral.  So far that has worked.  I put it in reverse, get a little speed, put it in neutral, steer, and repeat.

Also....I got a three bladed prop.

Steering is easier now....but it could be that I am finally getting the hang of it.

As for the fuel tanks....after going through not one, but two fuel injection pumps (why didn't the previous owners have this problem?)....my husband yanked both tanks, took to a shop, and they fabricated new aluminum ones.  We re-installed the same way (some rubber straps underneath...for ventilation....also to help secure???)......had the port tank made slightly shorter so as to leave room for installing a "filter boss" (which we ended up putting in the cupboard above anyway, but still nice to have the room for all the hoses going back and forth)....

Anyway, finally, we are sailing again, and the engine seems reliable.......

mizzenman
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 30 2007 at 09:03 | IP Logged Quote mizzenman

Hi Penelope,  Man work has been nuts lately. Well don't be too jelous because I haven't worked on a Volvo yet. Lots of perkins, yanmar (john deere) internationals and an old buda train engine. I'm ok with the old stuff but the new computer driven injectors.....not so much.
  I can't wait to experience the difficulties of helming this old heavyweight. Sailed a friends Island Packet 44 a bit but I'm sure it's a HUGH difference. I'm going to have to spring my baby out of the slip for sure, it's very tight, but at least I'm the last slip before the fairway so once I get her heading in the right direction should be ok.
  It,s like Christmas around here this week, all my orders are arriving, (any rich folks want to adopt a 56 year old cute boy) I do laundry!
  While all you more fortunate folks have been out sailing I have been running new wiring up both masts, soaking all my the wood for my new mast steps in Doctor Rot so I don't have this problem again. And for some odd reason my company thinks I should actually work in order to get paid, can you imagine.
   Adding a new Rule 4000 gph bilge pump to the 1500 that was installed and replumbing and wiring the works. So far the biggest chore has been trying to talk my son into sanding off the 4 layers of anti fouling paint the P/O applied. It's funny how they get smart after 28 years.
  So you guys/ladies keep talking about how fun it is sailing, your keeping me going here! incentive is a wonderful thing! I used to live in Fort Pierce Fl. out on the Island and would see all the sails on the horizon and imagine that was me, sailing away from the rat race, two more years, if I can wait that long.
   peace...jerry

Penelope
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 31 2007 at 13:51 | IP Logged Quote Penelope

BTW....I read somewhere of someone enlarging the rudder on their CT41.  Makes sense to me.  It's awfully small, given the size of the boat.....

It's two more years of working for me too!  Hang in there!  It pays for a lot of good stuff!

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version