View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Sea Ray
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Sea Ray
Subject Topic: Advice about purchasing the 280 Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
indyboater
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 13 2007 at 21:58 | IP Logged Quote indyboater

For six seasons, my wife and I have trailered our open bow 27 footer and we have finally decided to make the leap to a cruiser. We have targeted the 280 for its oversized, yet manageable beam for trailering. We generally stay in hotels or resorts, but we anticipate occasional overnighting on the new boat. Our typical usage for one season includes: the Gulf of Mexico/ICW, lakes Michigan & Erie, the Ohio & Mississippi rivers, Lake of the Ozarks, Dale Hollow, Barkley and several others. I know that Sea Ray has huge name recognition but I would really like to hear specific input (good or bad) from current and former owners of the 280. Thanks in advance!

gcomer
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 29 2007 at 09:29 | IP Logged Quote gcomer

We owned a 2004 280 Sundancer with T4.3 Mercs & generator for two years.  Last year we made a river trip from Kentucky Lake up the Tennessee River to Knoxville, a total of 1160 miles up and back.  The boat ran perfectly and is a great size for this kind of travel.  Wife & I are both 60ish so getting in & out of the mid-cabin was a little challenging, but we were able to rest comfortably with a memory foam topper in place.  Fuel averaged 1.3 mpg for the entire trip and we cruised at about 29-30 mph running 3600 - 3750 rps.  We had the boat bottom painted and left in a covered slip so can't give you any trailering advice except that since it is overwidth you will need permits.  Check the height of the arch when it is on a trailer for bridge clearance.  Sea Ray does not publish height since there are many variations with addition of radar etc.  This boat is a good runner and will top out close to 40mph depending on load you are carrying.  In rough water you have to trim the bow down to keep in from bouncing you all over the place, but it is a seaworthy boat.  Good luck with your travels.
Back to Top Printable version View gcomer's Profile Search for other posts by gcomer

STIHLBOLTS
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 29 2007 at 09:49 | IP Logged Quote STIHLBOLTS

If you trailer it make sure you have enough truck to do so. A 2500 or 3500 Diesel would be my advice.  Check with each state you travel through and purchase the over wide permits. Most cases they are from a few dollars to about $100.00.  I will point out that I have seen several 280's on the road and not one had a over wide banner on the front of it. Don't know if this meant those folks did not get a permit or they were not required to have the banners. 

There are a number of 280 owners at www.byowneryachts.com/forums/  That is essentially the Sea Ray Owners forum.

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 25 2013 at 10:16
Back to Top Printable version View STIHLBOLTS's Profile Search for other posts by STIHLBOLTS

Alan C Dove
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: May 30 2007 at 14:29 | IP Logged Quote Alan C Dove

We purchased our 2006 Sea Ray 280 Sundancer new from Surfside 3 last August. We put only 14 hours on it last year, because I was still learning how to operate dual engines at the time. We also have it bottom painted and stored in the water at our marina. I just purchased a new trailer for it and towed it about 20 miles from the place of purchase, to my marina. The boat was too tall with my Raymarine Radar antenna on top of the arch, so I had to remove it to fit under the highway bridges. Here in NY State you have to be under 13'7" to not be considered over height. It was an easy tow with my 2005 Escalade.
Back to Top Printable version View Alan C Dove's Profile Search for other posts by Alan C Dove

ofishman
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: May 31 2007 at 09:20 | IP Logged Quote ofishman

Alan,

Your posting kind of shocked me when I read that you're pulling 280DA with 2005 Escalade. Don't you think or didn't anyone advised you that you're way over the limmits? I have 2002 Escalade and pull 240DA, which I think just making it if not fully loaded. My Cadi towing capacity is 8200LB. Boat's dry weight is 6500 and trailer 1700. So, based on the simple math I'm ligally ok when the boat isn't loaded.

I just checked the Searay's specs and 2006 280DA Dry Weight : 8,500 lbs / 3,856 kg. What's your Escalade is rated to tow?

Thx,

Alex.

Back to Top Printable version View ofishman's Profile Search for other posts by ofishman

Alan C Dove
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: May 31 2007 at 18:51 | IP Logged Quote Alan C Dove

Alex,

You are 110% correct. The total weight of my rig is 10,300 lbs. It is more than the Escalade is rated to carry safely. I do not suggest that anyone else tow more than the rated limit of any vehicle. I had to move the boat from the sales marina to my home marina, and it was a choice that I made. Longer tows should be done with a rented pickup from Enterprise Truck Rental, in Philadelphia. This is the closest company that I have found that allows towing with rented vehicles. But for me to rent the truck, just did not make any sense. You see Philly is 3 plus hours away.

Thank You,

Alan

Edited by Alan C Dove on May 31 2007 at 18:56
Back to Top Printable version View Alan C Dove's Profile Search for other posts by Alan C Dove

ofishman
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 01 2007 at 09:24 | IP Logged Quote ofishman

Hi Alan,

Thanks for clarification. I guess, I missunderstood that you had to tow only a short distance vs. having this as a long term solution. I would do the same in your case. A quick question, what was the reason you got the trailer for your 280, are you planning to upgrade the tow vehicle or just to have it stored by the house over the winter?

Alex.

Back to Top Printable version View ofishman's Profile Search for other posts by ofishman

Secondbesttoy
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 01 2007 at 10:33 | IP Logged Quote Secondbesttoy

I know I do not have EXACTLY the same boat but we own a 1999 SeaRay 2700SD "2nd Besttoy", (the previous model cruiser & few inches smaller) since 1998. We do not have an arch.  My wife and I trailer 2-3 times a month from March - November in NC, SC, GA & FL.  We use a FORD F350DRW Deisel, an excellent towing vehicle with great stability.  Before we moved up from a 24 we called and talked to the DNR & DOT of each state we use and were told both the LEGAL LIMITS and ther PRATICAL Limits.  As long as we will towing with a legal/non commerical vehicle and did not do any thing stupid or to attract attention they would not bother us over a few inches.  I also know the Northern States DO NOT feel the same way.  We have only been stopped one time and that was in GA to check for height.  We love going "Camping out" on the weekends and love our SearRay.

SecondBestToy

Back to Top Printable version View Secondbesttoy's Profile Search for other posts by Secondbesttoy

Alan C Dove
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 01 2007 at 12:51 | IP Logged Quote Alan C Dove

Hi Alex,

We plan on replacing the tow vehicle, and will be storing the boat at home during the winter on the new trailer.

Second Best, the only thing that would worry me about towing my 280, is that it has a 9'6" beam. The NYS limit is 8'6" on the roads, and the DOT employee that I spoke to, told me that it is easy to get a permit to tow, as long as it is for a privately owned boat.

Secondbesttoy
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 01 2007 at 13:07 | IP Logged Quote Secondbesttoy

The 270SD is 9'2" so we are a little more narrow. Yes the permits are easy to get and fairly inexpensive.  I was just letting you know what we do.  My son also tows a 282 Grady White sailfish (9'6" beam and over 30' overall length) He tows his with a 2004 Diesel Ford Excursion.  We love trailering toi thge coast where we run on the ICW.  The longest we have gone is nearly 1,000 trip on the water.

Good Luck

Back to Top Printable version View Secondbesttoy's Profile Search for other posts by Secondbesttoy

fxjason
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 09 2007 at 18:16 | IP Logged Quote fxjason

Indy...

Why not go with a 270 AmberJack? Smaller beam by 9" and you only give up 1'1" in length. It might solve your "overwidth" problem on most State's Highways. Great in the rough water too. Just make sure the one you get has the mid-cabin... Some AJs were made with the Mid-Cab some weren't in the 2006 - 2007 models.

Good Luck with this...

Back to Top Printable version View fxjason's Profile Search for other posts by fxjason

ofishman
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 16 2007 at 09:50 | IP Logged Quote ofishman

Alan, did you ever try to rent a tow truck to pull something like 280DA. Do you know what they charge for rental. Is it worth the hasle or is it better just to hire some company to tow it for you. I'm looking to upgrade to 280 (so far the best fit for us) and getting the boat to/from the marina every season is in question. I have about 30 or so miles to my marina.

Thanks,

Alex.

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version