View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Thompson Marine
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Thompson Marine
Subject Topic: St.Tropez 310 Post ReplyPost New Topic
2 Pages 1 2
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 20 2007 at 18:36 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

wow!

this is nice. i hope we get lots of people to join in.

i have had mine for about 5 years now. she's currently undergoing an organ transplant.

replacing the alpha drives and the 5.7's with 454 mags and bravo 1's.

i have dug and dug and dug ...and dug some more for info on these boats but have really never come up with much of anything--

the most i have learned is right here on boatUS site.

we really like ours. hence the decision to transplant. it would cost me FAR more to replace it.

the boat handles well and gets up out of the water better then any of the other cruiser types of that size we tested

AND after the transplant...she should FLY!! shooting for 50+ mph topend.

we have done tons of other upgrades as well, such as bolting the hull together. replacing all deck hardware with solid stainless. pop up cleats. all new thru hulls on the sides and bottom with all new valves-new holding tank. (old one was leaking)pew! new plumbing for it as well. and pump.

pulled the entire windshield frame and had it powder coated white...same with the deck hatches...looks awesome! still need to do the side glass frames.

the only BIG project planned for the future is a small bimini style hardtop.

thats gonna take a little more armtwisting however.

chuck

"Relentless" 310 St. Tropez 1990 454 mags/B1's///Hudson, Florida

Back to Top Printable version View waterlogged's Profile Search for other posts by waterlogged

twoforhooking
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 26 2007 at 17:17 | IP Logged Quote twoforhooking

Waterlogged,

Any chance of seeing some photos of the hard work you've done? I'm interested in before / after shots.

TFH

Back to Top Printable version View twoforhooking's Profile Search for other posts by twoforhooking

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 26 2007 at 19:26 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

tfh,

i will give it a shot---need to figure out how to post on this site ....then i need to hunt down some pics....if i still have them.

i was taking shots all along the way and loading them onto a disc. then disc i was using seems to have emptied itself .....???? do they do that?

anyway i will try to round up what i have and get back.

keep in mind she's not done yet though....been out hanging transom assys. today. this has been the first time in at least a couple months i've been able to work on it.

i'll keep ya posted...

454 Mags/Bravo1's (replants!)
Hudson,Florida
Back to Top Printable version View waterlogged's Profile Search for other posts by waterlogged

twoforhooking
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 26 2007 at 19:45 | IP Logged Quote twoforhooking

Thanks waterlogged.

I'm interested as I too am slowly adding / upgrading my Thompson. I have been able to get an original sales brochure and did a little research on the company and Thompson's manufacturing process. I have found that our Daytona 300 does not have the same finish that other similar "pocket cruisers" such as Regal and SeaRay have, but the hull design was suprisingly very good - a solid fibreglass hull with a unique chine (some similarities to a "step-hull"). It handles rough water well, and with twin Mercruiser 260's, Alpha 1 legs, we cruise 28 - 30 mph at 3000 rpm, with 12 gph each motor.

We have upgraded our boat with new electronics, fuel tank, septic tank, rebuilt motor, new interior upholstery and have a customized cabinetry and dining table. I am very happy with the cabin room for a 30' boat. We are currently cleaning up the teak swimgrid, handrails, and bow spit.

I am very interested in your hardtop and windshield upgrades. Looking forward to pics.

TFH

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 26 2007 at 20:05 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

did you have the aluminum holding tank too?

aluminum and pee pee dont mix too well. waht a nasty job   we have an all new system going in.(plastic tank)

i really wanted the electrasan but couldn't find a place to fit it.

Hudson,Florida

twoforhooking
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 26 2007 at 20:17 | IP Logged Quote twoforhooking

Aluminum fuel and septic. Good news is that the previous owner replaced both just before we purchased the boat. He had a special hatch-way made up and the engine room / cabin divider is now hinged that allowed access to both tanks. Funny how manufacturer's (and not just Thompson) design a boat without considering that after some time, systems will have to be replaced, and the owner typically doesn't want to remove engines and cut the hull up to do so!

Bad news though - he replaced both with aluminum again. At least it will be easier to replaced the tanks a second time if needed. We keep the septic tank relatively clean  and empty to minimize corrosion.

When you rebolted the hull, was that a difficult job? Our hull is currently screwed to the top deck, screws remain tight and no water leaks around the joint. I would consider riviting the two together if I new an easy way to remove and replace the joint strip (docking strip??). This is the one structural component that apparenlty many cruisers at that time had a problem with - screwing the deck to the hull and not bolting it.

TFH

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 27 2007 at 11:07 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

yup-you gotta get into the real expensive boats before you begin to find that luxury.

ours has a 2-piece rub-rail. rubber and stainless. they simply unscrew ...first the stainless strip then the rubber. then you will find the screws that are actually holding the hull together..

nothing was backed out but i certainly wouldn't call them tight!

it took two people to do this but we did them one screw at a time all the way around---had to pull the gally cabinets to get to some of them.

we used the same size bolt(as the screw that came out) but with fender washers and ny-lock nuts.

the boat feels completely differant now. like one solid chunk. no flex.

huge differance when walking accross the bow . everything is very solid feeling.

had no idea it would make such a differance.

Edited by waterlogged on March 27 2007 at 11:08

Hudson,Florida

twoforhooking
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 11 2007 at 23:46 | IP Logged Quote twoforhooking

Waterlogged,

Curious to know how your hardtop project went, or did it?

I'm considering a similar project. I'm also considering adding a transom door.

Twoforhooking

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: June 12 2007 at 08:41 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

hey twoforhooking,

it hasn't yet....--in fact just now hoping to get engines dropped in this weekend---

we've been working alot lately ....gotta get it while you can in this biz.

i'm still shopping for the right look/deal on the top.

there's a place on the internet that deals in manufacturer overstock and used stuff, so i keep an eye on them. then we have a couple places around here that do them from scratch. i kindof like the smooth lines of the tops that proline uses....

but, it's still a ways down the road----right now i just need to get her back in  the water for a couple romps.

Hudson,Florida

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 28 2007 at 17:13 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

thought you might be interested in these pics--i'll get some more soon.

Hudson,Florida

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: July 28 2007 at 17:17 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

here's one more

Hudson,Florida

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: August 19 2007 at 07:28 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

finally dug up a pic of hull-bolting project. let me see if i can get the windshield frame on here too.

all of the hatches are the same---if i had known ahead of time what a pain in the arse this was, i probably would have never started it! (not)

it was almost 3 months between the time i took it all apart and when i put it back together. A MILLION PIECES! this was a serious test of my sanity (or insanity)!

but i have to say it looks great! it took ten years off the boat! the cleats will take another ten years. put a hard top on it and noone will recognize what kind of boat this is. (noone really knows now......)

thinking about leaving the nameplates off of it. just to make people ask questions!

thats one more of the hatche(s)

this is the fridge--the frame around the outside used to be black and rusty/the rest of the fridge was pretty nice and worked fine....so...powdercoat to the rescue:

ignore the mess.

next shot is the holding tank project:

i'll get some more later.....

Hudson,Florida

twoforhooking
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 19 2007 at 16:40 | IP Logged Quote twoforhooking

Chuck,

Thanks for all the pics. Looks great. The powdercoating really does take off years!

We painted the hull of our boat and in process lost the side namebars. Last season, everyone kept asking what kind of boat it was as it didn't look its age and there are few Thompsons out here. I too will try to get some photos on the forum.

We ended up ordering new namebars from NY, the gold lettering looked great against the new black hull sides. I put the names back on because as we started to clean up the boat and "restore" it, we felt it would't be complete without the name.

Still really interested in your hard top project. With a new hardtop and all the cleaning up you've done, nobody will recognize your boat!

I've started to talk to some fibreglass people this summer. A hardtop and transom door would change the whole look of the boat, and make it more accessible for pacific northwest boating in the spring and fall.

Keep letting us know how your project(s) go.

TwoForHooking

twoforhooking
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 19 2007 at 17:13 | IP Logged Quote twoforhooking

Finally figured out how to post photos. I posted a few of our boat on the earlier thread - Daytona 300

Cheers,

TwoForHooking

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: August 19 2007 at 20:41 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

went over and checked out the pics. nice boat twofor! i have a pair of chromed plastic name plates that i haven't decided whether to use or not ---

let me see if i can dig them up and get some pics......

Hudson,Florida

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: August 19 2007 at 20:51 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

ok --a little fuzzy but you get the idea right?

Hudson,Florida

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: August 24 2007 at 18:45 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

ok...one more this one is scanned from an old film pic.

Hudson,Florida

twoforhooking
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 10 2007 at 23:04 | IP Logged Quote twoforhooking

Great looking boat waterlooged - I like the red covers!

Obviously enjoying the boat.......

TFH

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: September 11 2007 at 12:00 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

thanx--

cant think of anythng else i'd rather be doing! and it's been way too long since i've ben able to!

by the way: that shot was taken in January

sorry--cant help myself. nothing like wintertime in Fla.. the fishing is not quite as good in the winter but the weather sure kicks!

Hudson,Florida

Moosin' Around
"Seaman"

Posted: September 11 2007 at 21:32 | IP Logged Quote Moosin' Around

Love the full transom door. My next boat will definately have one. Much easier for pooch and children boarding.

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: September 12 2007 at 09:58 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

that's pretty much where we do most of our fishing from too.

i have re-routed some of the thru-hull valves and other plumbing and have ended up with a spare valve--i intend on using it for a wash down pump and a connection for a bait tank.

i am trying to get some ideas on where to mount a tank. two choices:

on the swim platform(right about where i'm standing in the last pic) OR: the rear-most transom seat completely removes and i have thought about putting a mounting option there too.(right where i'm standing except on the inside of the transom)

thinking of using those mounting tabs kinda like the ones used to strap coolers down---or crafting a heavier option of those.

then i would route a plumbing connection(quick-connect) for easy on and off.

i am soliciting any ideas and input!

thanx

Hudson,Florida

Moosin' Around
"Seaman"

Posted: September 12 2007 at 19:00 | IP Logged Quote Moosin' Around

I would definately keep it in the boat. Trying to fish out bait on the swim platform could send you for a swim. Not good if you're trolling. If your going to set it up for quick removal, just pick somewhere that's not in your way while fishing even if it's not the best spot for normal boat use. Seems like pulling the transom seat and having that area open for line handling would be best since you've still got to reach over the platform.

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: September 18 2007 at 19:05 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

see--now there's some great advice.

we usually go back and forth for baits now.....so.....

and as it is: the cutting board and everything stay inside of transom assy.

Hudson,Florida

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 01 2007 at 08:15 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

here's what we built this weekend for the boot. a pair of battery boxes sized perfectly for a pair of group 31 batteries.

Edited by waterlogged on October 01 2007 at 08:19

Hudson,Florida

Don B
"Seaman"

Posted: October 01 2007 at 11:54 | IP Logged Quote Don B

Chuck,

as with any battery, make sure that you vent the enclosure.  unless the battery's are a gel type, there will be gas's vented

Don

Menasha, WI
Back to Top Printable version View Don B's Profile Search for other posts by Don B

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 01 2007 at 12:17 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

hey don,

yep---i am still thinking about routing the vents to the outside of the hull via a thru-hull fitting. the thing holding me back is this: getting an airtight fit on cables to the batteries.

i wonder....do battery fumes fall or rise?

Hudson,Florida

Don B
"Seaman"

Posted: October 01 2007 at 13:24 | IP Logged Quote Don B

the gas is hydrogen and is lighter then air.  I would almost suggest a blower connected down low on the box with the vent line out the top.

as far as cables, I would go to an electrical supply house and get a cord grip.  you would have to TAP a hole and screw these into the box.  these would provide a sealed access point.

Don

Menasha, WI
Back to Top Printable version View Don B's Profile Search for other posts by Don B

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 03 2008 at 01:00 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

so---been getting tons more done.

100's of feet of new wiring(getting rid of the rats-nest)

bunch of new hose -most of all the new battery cabling built.

i keep forgetting to take some pics before i leave so i can post them. should be able to get some in a week or so. hopefully be home about then.

might be boating by christmas! still have 1k in batteries to buy.

probably close to that in props.(1k)

1700.00 in alternators and related equipment. these may have to evolve slowly.

it may be in the water before that money gets spent....

might start with a couple cheapie batteries till i get the charge system completed.

Hudson,Florida

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: February 02 2009 at 20:35 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

engines are back in.

took three days! luckily i have a reasonable neighbor(crane). had to wait till noon"ish" for the temperature outside to warm up enough to do the "glass" work where i cut the notches.

engine mounting area forward of the front mounts had to be notched to accommodate the bravo raw water pumps/(mostly pulleys) but they are finally in.

sure took some tongue weight off the truck......

also: have a bunch more pics of some work i've been doing on the dash. get them posted as soon as i can.

Edited by waterlogged on February 02 2009 at 20:37

Hudson,Florida

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: February 02 2009 at 21:12 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

Hudson,Florida

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: February 02 2009 at 21:34 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

those were a couple shots of the initial cuts

this is the "lift kit" in the building process

dry run with the new lift. looks like plenty of room for the stuff i want to do. and it still leaves plenty of sight when seated behind the wheel.(was a little concerned)

another view.

here's the lift kit after some work and paint. i think it's going to be hard to tell that it's not factory. one more shot below/differant view

Hudson,Florida

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: February 02 2009 at 21:45 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

next step is trying to decide what type of material to use for the dash panel.

the old stuff was plexiglass i guess...or something similar. it may end up being the same material. my neighbor is pretty good with a metal brake.

i like the newer chris craft dash material....sort-of a metal mesh???

anyway-as soon as i get pics of the engines in...they'll be comin atcha.

Hudson,Florida

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: February 03 2009 at 09:35 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

here's a couple more i guess i never posted:

engine area. battery boxes in. new valves in. plumbing getting close to being done.

bettery switch box being built

Hudson,Florida

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 28 2009 at 22:07 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

the dash is coming out great--or at least as well as i hoped. shopping for gauges now...looking at the big 5 inchers...(now that i can fit them)

anyway, i'll have some pics the next time i get home.

engines are in but having alignment problems--might have to move the mounts a bit from where they were with the 350's.

Edited by waterlogged on March 28 2009 at 22:08

Hudson,Florida

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 28 2009 at 22:12 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

also- we've been playing around with lexan and i think we are really happy with some of the preliminary results. looks awesome painted from the back side. bends kinda easy and cuts pretty easy. it may be the dash material we end up with.

Hudson,Florida

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 11 2009 at 11:11 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Love what you are doing with the dash! Please post more pics!!!!

Rocky Point, Long Island - NY
-------------------------------------------
"Save the Earth, Ride Some Grass!"
www.backyardskateboards.com

Back to Top Printable version View NoGin's Profile Search for other posts by NoGin

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 11 2009 at 12:52 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

wait'll you see the most recent pics! just took them a couple minutes ago--

it could be a while before i get them posted .....still dealing with a puter crash-

gotta get my DPP back in to the new puter and and and etc etc etc...

Hudson,Florida

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 11 2009 at 12:53 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Don't leave me hangin man!!!!!    

Back to Top Printable version View NoGin's Profile Search for other posts by NoGin

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 11 2009 at 18:14 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Looks great! I like the fact that you customized it to your liking but kept it looking as if it came like that from the factory! That's what I am going for.

waterlogged
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 12 2009 at 08:19 | IP Logged Quote waterlogged

ok finally have a few more shots of the dash progress

and:

and a quickie of the engines IN the boat!

Hudson,Florida

]
] ]
2 Pages 1 2

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version