View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Uniflite
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Uniflite
Subject Topic: Checking the transmission oil level. Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
BoatRDavid
"Seaman"

Posted: December 26 2006 at 17:53 | IP Logged Quote BoatRDavid

The transmissions in my 1984, 42’ DCMY are MG 502s and they’re mounted behind 8.2L Detroit Diesels.  I haven’t been able to verify that they have the correct amount of oil.

After buying the Uni and without checking the level, I drained both transmissions using the plugs on the bottoms.  I took out nearly a gallon – about 3½ pints from the starboard trans and nearly 4 pints from the port.  With that equaling the amount they were said to hold, I put 3½ pints of oil into each.  Then I noticed that they have oil coolers – something not mentioned in the manual.

The dipstick (which is about 10” long) is printed with the statement, “check oil with engine running and trans in neutral”.  The manual says the same thing as does the plate on the transmission.  When I did that, I found oil ¾ of the way up the stick instead of about and inch from the tip.  I don’t understand the logic – with the engine stopped the level is way down near the FULL mark, which is near the bottom of the transmission.  With the engine running the oil level is up near the top of the stick (and the top of the transmission).  That seams backwards.

I removed 1 ½ pints of oil and the dip stick (engine running) showed the same; about ¾ of the way up the stick – no improvement!  I adjusted both transmissions to the full mark with the engine stopped.

It appears I would have to just about drain the oil out to get the level down (with the engine running).  That would mean I couldn’t change the oil because I can’t drain any more out.

Does anyone have any advice for me?  How can I tell if I have the correct amount?

42 Uniflite SE II, Adventure
San Francisco Bay Area
Back to Top Printable version View BoatRDavid's Profile Search for other posts by BoatRDavid

Ron Dudas
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 27 2006 at 11:01 | IP Logged Quote Ron Dudas

I have TwinDisk transmissions, but the way you are describing it sounds a lot like mine.  I'm a little confused on your dip stick levels and the way you describet it.  There should clearly be two marks showing the high and low operating levels at idle.

There is a oil reserve tank built into the bottom of the transmission that holds quite a bit.  When the transmissions have been setting for a period of time the oil will drain out of the transmission down into the reserve area and the reading will be higher with the engines off.

To properly check you level the engine must be running at idle.  Since you just changed your oil, let the endine run for about a minute and see if it comes up to proper reading on the dip stick.  If you are getting iratic readings on the dip stick try putting the transmission in forward and reverse gear a coupple time.  This should get the oil through the clutches and passages in the transmission.

I dont think changing your oil would drain the oil cooler though!  One thing for sure, dont drain your oil withe the engine running, never.  There is a chance of you messing up your clutches and seals.  When changing the oil on mine the instructions say to do it through the dip stick tube.

Transmission won'd get dirty or contanimated as the ending oil.

Keep us posted.

Edited by Ron Dudas on December 27 2006 at 11:01

"Teena Maria" 42' Uniflite DC/MY
Back to Top Printable version View Ron Dudas's Profile Search for other posts by Ron Dudas

BoatRDavid
"Seaman"

Posted: December 27 2006 at 12:01 | IP Logged Quote BoatRDavid

Ron, thanks for the reply.

The dip-stick is clearly marked and those marks are near the end of the stick.  I did run the boat after changing the oil.  However, when I check the level by the recommended method (engine running in neutral), the level indicated on the stick is way up; high on the handel end!  This of course indicates that the transmission is extremely over filled.  But I now have less oil than it had before the change.  By the way, I used the drain plug because the engine surveyor thought the transmissions contained ATF instead of engine oil.  He was wrong.  I think you are right that the cooler will not drain.  I am observing the opposit of what you say -- the level is (extremely) high with the engine running and down on the proper marks when it is not running.  ????

San Francisco Bay Area
Back to Top Printable version View BoatRDavid's Profile Search for other posts by BoatRDavid

Ron Dudas
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 27 2006 at 13:26 | IP Logged Quote Ron Dudas

Does the dip stick go all the way down to the bottom resivor?  Or does it only go down in the transmission?

Back to Top Printable version View Ron Dudas's Profile Search for other posts by Ron Dudas

BoatRDavid
"Seaman"

Posted: December 27 2006 at 13:39 | IP Logged Quote BoatRDavid

I don't see a reservior per say.  The trans is a cast housing and there is a drain plug in the bottom.  The stick goes most of the way down in the casting -- near the bottom.  I have been thinking since our last posts, that maybe I should go back to removing oil until the stick reads correctly.  However, that is what I was doing before and the reading started to go low with the engine stopped rather than reading high as you indicated.  Maybe I don't have much of a reservior and most of the oil hangs out in the cooler system.  And maybe the last owner had the trans too full and I have repeated his mistake (?).

San Francisco Bay Area

Ron Dudas
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 27 2006 at 14:05 | IP Logged Quote Ron Dudas

Dave,    Try posting on this forum! 

http://www.marinegears.com/index.html

You might try contacting the previous owner also.

Edited by Ron Dudas on December 27 2006 at 14:07

BoatRDavid
"Seaman"

Posted: December 27 2006 at 14:29 | IP Logged Quote BoatRDavid

Thanks Ron,  as I have stated elsewhere on this forum, we are vacationing in Mexico right now.  But those contact suggestions are some that I can do from here.

San Francisco Bay Area

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version