View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Uniflite
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Uniflite
Subject Topic: Bad News! Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Ron Dudas
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 02 2006 at 10:50 | IP Logged Quote Ron Dudas

Well mates,   Maybe it's time to start a new thread.  If you have read the Uni Owners thread you would have noticed that I live in Indianapolis, In. and keep my boat in Toledo, Ohio (250 miles away).

Before I get started let me say that I took the boat out of the water on October 25th.  Never again will I leave it in this late.  The weather changed for the worse and I didn't have a chance to tidy up the boat the way I like to.

I got a call on Wednesday the day before Thanksgiving that my boat was broken into along with several others.  I had my friend up there check it out and secure the boat.  He said it was trashed out and they got in through the port window.  I told him I would be up there on the following Monday.  When I arrived in Toledo on Monday I found out that the boat was entered once more on Thanksgiving.

They Trashed everything, cut the carpet, cut the winter cover, slashed the Zodiac to ribbons ( it sits up top on the aft deck), trashed all the window blinds, tore out my stereo system, took my DVD digital recorder, took a fine set of Chrystal glass, binoculars, hand held VHF and more minor items.  Emptyed most cupboards, closets, cut 4 Isen glass back deck windows, all the booze gone, tracked mud all of the carpet and furniture.

I was up there one week, stayed in a motel at the tune of $400.00  Ran my but around getting estimates and repairs done, police report, etc.

For now the boat is secured and the outside items are repaired.  This spring I need to get all the inside work done.

Our Marina is secured with cameras and a key card entry.  So IMO is as safe as most marina's.  They got into more than 30 boats and cut shrink wrap on about 50.  Of course the marina owner is very upset as to all the damage and has been talking to all of up on a personal basis.  The boats that were shrink wrapped have not been billed to the boat owners yet and now they have to be done again.  Of course the marina does not carry insurance on our boats and it very expensive to do so.  The marina owner is having all the boats re wrapped at his expense and had the people there even during the night working under portable lighting. For some of the larger boats as mine that didn't have shrink wrap an a lot of damage he it going to compensate us some how (to be determined).  He is going to work with each boat owner for compensation.  Some of the thoughts are free or discounted winter storage, discounted summer dock,  deep fuel discounts, etc. 

So far the damage and thief is around $7,000.00.  I'm insured with Boat US and they had a field adjuster meet me at the boat with in 36 hours of my arrival.  The clams adjuster at the main Boat US office is very helpful over the phone.  I'm glad that I have my insurance with them and am confident that they will take care of me fairly on my losses after my deduction and depreciation.

So this really sucks!  Now I can spend the rest of my winter wondering if it will happen again.

Edited by Ron Dudas on December 02 2006 at 10:56

"Teena Maria" 42' Uniflite DC/MY
Back to Top Printable version View Ron Dudas's Profile Search for other posts by Ron Dudas

MV Gizmo
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 06 2006 at 11:18 | IP Logged Quote MV Gizmo

OMG Ron!  That is just wrong!  Well, very glad to hear that your marina owner and insurance are on top of it with you.  What a MESS!

This last spring, we had a number of break ins at my yacht club.  They were targeting only two things though.... Flat screen TV's and booze!  We lost about 25 flat screen TV's and a bunch of booze - NOTHING else!  They came in nights by dinghy to do their dirty work.  3 guys were eventually caught by the Harbor Patrol.  The yacht club paid all the deductibles on insurance and made good on the reported booze loss.  Since that time, we now have 3 guys patroling the docks 24/7, and I'm working with them to get a surveillance camera system.

They did get into my boat, but I only had to bottles of cheap wine - I got better stuff from the yahct club!  They did not stumble across my flat screen as it tucks into the headliner.  They did not go after my stereo, handhelsd VHF, regular VHF nor chartplotter and did NOT damage.  Weird!

I have been outta town on biz, and I still owe you photos, ron.  I'll get on it.

Seattle, WA
Back to Top Printable version View MV Gizmo's Profile Search for other posts by MV Gizmo

Ron Dudas
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 13 2006 at 18:35 | IP Logged Quote Ron Dudas

Just an update. Got a call from Boat US insurance today. Was informed that everything is complete on their end and the claim was sent up for approval (due to the size of the loss).  They will call me in a couple days to cover the results.  They said I should have the check real soon.  That will be great as most every thing I priced out is now on sale.

Back to Top Printable version View Ron Dudas's Profile Search for other posts by Ron Dudas

Ron Dudas
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 27 2006 at 11:13 | IP Logged Quote Ron Dudas

Well we got the check!  Boat U/S treated me right!.  Now it's off trying to replace and repair.

FYI I have been looking at a alarm system.  I'm getting close to putting the package together.  This system will call my cell phone if there is a entry, and is capable of calling two other phone numbers also.  The entire system will cost around $500 - $600.  There is a monthly air time fee of $6.45 with unlimited air time.  I post more on this when finalized.

Delaware Jim
"Navigator"

Posted: December 27 2006 at 19:56 | IP Logged Quote Delaware Jim

Ron,

I just switched to BoatUS insurance - glad to hear they are trying to do right by you... this is comforting.  I've thought about an alarm system as well... will you please post details once you get it operational?

Thanks, and let's hope 2007 is a lot better!

Delaware Jim

B Jensen
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 27 2006 at 20:03 | IP Logged Quote B Jensen

Is BoatUS insurance competitive in price?  (guess thats a silly question since you made the change..)

1970 Uniflite 36SS "Cherisse Marie"
Poquoson Va.
Back to Top Printable version View B Jensen's Profile Search for other posts by B Jensen

Delaware Jim
"Navigator"

Posted: December 27 2006 at 20:45 | IP Logged Quote Delaware Jim

Funny you should ask!  My prior insurance on the Uniflite (Chesapeake Bay area, $50K value) was up for renewal in August... I got quote from BoatUS online that (after having a new survey done) wasn't cost-effective.  At the Annapolis Boat show in October, I got a quote at thei BoatUS booth that was several hundred $ lower than their August on line quote... I paid for a survey and switched.

I am now waiting to see what happens next year...

Delaware Jim

Ron Dudas
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 28 2006 at 09:28 | IP Logged Quote Ron Dudas

This insurance thing can be discussed forever.  I've seen forms bash different insurance company's, but it always seams to come down to the cost of insurance.  My insurance with Boat U/S is about $1,100 per year.  I carry coverage for $100,000 on the value.  When I did the Great Loop in 04-05 it went up when I reached salt water on the Gulf to over $4,000 a year.  When I came around the Atlantic and entered the mouth of the Hudson River it dropped back to my normal rate.

I once shopped for another insurance carrier and although I found better prices, I could not find better coverage.  What I like about BUS is the fuel spill coverage that no one offers.  In 03 I popped a valve and dumped about 3 gallons of oil in the marina through the exhaust.  In one call BUS had a environmental company out there for the clean up and a BUS field rep to supervise it. The USCG was on site also.  Due to the nature of the spill I didn't get fined, or a warning from the USCG.  I think it was because the BUS rep did such a good job.  Also lost two props due to a dead head in the channel.  BUS had me back in the water in six days with new props.  The last was my recent break in.  Another fine job by BUS.

If you're claim free for a year you get a 5% discount for the following year.  So far my insurance hasn't gone up because of first two claims.  We'll see what happens this time though!

When I get this new alarm package together I'll send the information to BUS so they know that I'm doing everything in my power to protect my investment.

Ron Dudas
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: May 09 2007 at 15:10 | IP Logged Quote Ron Dudas

Hea Mates,

Sorry that I been goon so long.  Much has happened since my last post.

When I got back to Indianapolis after the break in I designed a alarm system.

After that we got our restaurant back from a previous sale.  This has taken up all of out time getting it back on track.  Things are running good now and it's back on the market.

I launched the boat on April 19th.  Got up to the boat on the 17th at 10 am and fell on the fly bridge at 1 pm knocking out 5 disks and my hip.  Just starting to move around with little pain now.  Good news is everything is healing well.

Got the alarm system installed and it works great! (read my previous post).

I have two microwave sensers installed an 1 million cp strobe & audable alarm.  When triggered it texts my cell phone and the marina.

Meeting with a business broker tomorrow and hope to be back on the water soon.

MV Gizmo
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: May 13 2007 at 19:46 | IP Logged Quote MV Gizmo

Ron,

Glad to hear that all - mostly - is going well.  Sounds like you have gone through your "3 bad happenings" spell.  Good to hear that you will be soon back on the water.

Seattle, WA
Back to Top Printable version View MV Gizmo's Profile Search for other posts by MV Gizmo

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version