View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Doral
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Doral
Subject Topic: Monticello Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
stdreiss
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 23 2006 at 14:49 | IP Logged Quote stdreiss

My wife and I are currently shopping for a new boat.  One of the potentials is the 25' Monticello.  Would like to hear other owners opinions, good or bad about this boat.  Thanks.

Ernesto
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 23 2006 at 16:59 | IP Logged Quote Ernesto

Steven - Tell us more. Have you owned a boat? What will you use the boat for? What models are you comparing? Are you buying new or used? What is important to you? Where do you do your boating?

I think you'll find Dorals to be a great combination of a solid ride, great fit and finish, and a bit more cabin space than competing models. They tend to be a bit heavier and have wider beams. They also have the best swim platform in the industry, plus being a small company they should work hard to keep your business. It's also nice to have a boat that few people have, you'll really feel you have a truly unique boat. I'll give you more details of my opinions if you tell me more about what models you are comparing. The only other 25' boat I can think of now that I'd consider seriously is the Regal 2565.

The only concern I've heard about the Monticello was a listing problem a few years ago, that I'm positive Doral has solved by now.

Back to Top Printable version View Ernesto's Profile Search for other posts by Ernesto

NHDoral
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 23 2006 at 21:53 | IP Logged Quote NHDoral

To add to what Ruiz says.. I have countless customers with the monitcello's. THe right power for the boat is the 5.7GXI volvo or the 6.2MPI mercruiser. Dont be fooled by the 280 Volvo or the 350MAG merc. They are simply not enough power for this boat. Also the duo-prop is a nice addition on this boat. Ride is great on it. Not much use of the tabs. With the 6.2 real world numbers will be right about 33-35mph cruise and about a 47mph top end. I suggest you look for a 2004 and above as they did make some changes then. Also keep in mind like Ruiz says, this is a balsa cored boat and it will be a completely different ride from anything else.

My newest customer, was looking at a Sea Ray 280 and a Prestancia. He told me something interesting, when he went to test drive the sea ray, he left the cabin door open and could hear a lot of noise/hullslap. He said that while on the Doral he heard almost none. Interesting thing to think about. He bought the Doral.

Look around long and far on the Monticello, I know of a few 2004 Leftovers for sale at very low prices. MSRP on a new 2007 is going to be about 110,000 loaded up. Im sure if you looked, you could find a 2004 brand new for about 65K loaded up.

Cheers,
Will
NHDORAL

Back to Top Printable version View NHDoral's Profile Search for other posts by NHDoral

Ernesto
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 23 2006 at 22:28 | IP Logged Quote Ernesto

Yes, very quiet ride in the cabin.
Also this will probably be the only 25' cruiser you'll find with side decks, very nice to have to move around, even at the docks to get to the bow quickly.
I believe like other Dorals this one also has a one level cockpit. And I believe this one also has the sliding stern seat that will make your cockpit feel a lot larger when you need the space for entertaining.

Back to Top Printable version View Ernesto's Profile Search for other posts by Ernesto

NHDoral
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 23 2006 at 23:28 | IP Logged Quote NHDoral

So true. FYI, I resent that curtain, you should see it anyday now. Sorry for the delay! BTW, i'll be in Tampa from January 12th to the 15th with my boat. Maybe we can get together. I will be at the Marjorie Park Yacht Basin, they said I can fit? Is it shallow in there? Anywhere else I should try?

Cheers Ernesto!

Will

Back to Top Printable version View NHDoral's Profile Search for other posts by NHDoral

stdreiss
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 24 2006 at 05:30 | IP Logged Quote stdreiss

Ruiz - In the way of more info.  I've owned a 19' Wellcraft bowrider which I got rid of a couple of years ago.  I am looking to buy new (2006 or 2007).  My wife and I expect to do some cruising but also want the freedom to be able to tow the boat where we want and to be able to stay out over night(s).  The other boats I am looking at are the 260 Cabrio by Larson, the Crownline 255 CCR and the 260 Sundancer by SeaRay.  Bottomline, first time with something this big or with the multitude of systems onboard.
Had hoped to get out an do some test drives this year but it gotten pretty cool in VA, may have missed the window.  We picked these four boats out by gong to various boat shows but now, short of actually being able to drive them, will probably go and look at each one individually (hard to keep track of what you really are looking in the crowds at the boat show.) 

Ernesto
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 24 2006 at 08:19 | IP Logged Quote Ernesto

Will - awesome. Yes there should be plenty of water at Marjorie. I've only been there by car, but it's right off the shipping channel. It is a small marina, however, so with that big boat you may need to do some tight quarters maneuvering. The nice thing is it's just off downtown. My favorite places would have been in downtown St Petersburg (walk to nice restaurants, etc), but I believe both the Vinoy and the St Pete municipal marina transient docks are closed for renovation. I'll email you so we don't hijack the thread.

Steven - It will be a matter of what you like better. I probably will never buy a Sea Ray. I don't like them, and I hate that everyone has them. If you buy one I'd make sure that they've got a full fiberglass liner in the cabin now... That was one of my wife's dealbreakers with Sea Ray. You don't want a lot of carpet attached to a wood subfloor. Another deal breaker for me is they don't come with Volvos... Merc has put out too many lemons for me to trust their outdrive package, particularly if I were buying a single-engine boat. And then, Marine Max does not have the best customer service history. So make sure you buy from a dealer that will support you properly. I had back luck as my dealer closed up, but Doral made sure I was taken care of elsewhere.

I hear Crownlines are excellent boats, but I've never seen that model first hand. Regarding Larson, they're nice entry-level boats but I've never heard anyone make a case for them as top-notch. There just not much about them that's truly unique or memorable IMO.

I'm assuming you've seen and eliminated the Four Winns, Regal and Monterey?

Doral Dude
"Seaman"

Posted: December 10 2006 at 21:16 | IP Logged Quote Doral Dude

SAD,

Currently own a 2005 Monticello which we bought new. Previous boat was a Crownline 210 CCR. We looked at Crownline and SeaRay before settling on the Doral. Fit and Finish were way ahead of the others. Crownline, for example, simply lags the engine mounts into the stingers. Doral's mounts are through bolted a SS plate. Aft cabin much easier to enter/exit than Sea Ray 260. The side deck may be narrow but a great asset when at anchor and one needs to get foward. Plus lots of light inside with the skylites.

We boat on Lake Huron/Georgian Bay and encounter some good sized seas with no ploblems. VP 5.7 GXi DP performs admirably. You can't go wrong with this boat.

DD

Back to Top Printable version View Doral Dude's Profile Search for other posts by Doral Dude

NW_Vermont
"Seaman"

Posted: December 12 2006 at 12:42 | IP Logged Quote NW_Vermont

Hello all- I fully agree with all of the positives shared on this board.

We purchased a slightly used 2004 Monticello and have spent one summer with her.  I do have a couple of gripes, but they are far outweighed by the positives.  We boat on Lake Champlain...a big, little lake and are pleased with the hull's performance.

We have the 280hp Volvo Duoprop.  This motor is adequate for the boat.  I recognize that I always have a full tank of gas and fresh water.  Also we are not shy about bringing what we need or what we may need.  That said, we are sometimes slow to get up on plane but just need to know that we aren't in a sporty bowrider anymore.  Our loaded top end is still 40+ mph.  That said, don't pass up a Monti that is perfect except for the 280 hp motor.  The added umph of the more powerful units would be icing on the cake.

In the notes above, a listing problem was mentioned.  I've read those posts and my boat does not have a chronic listing problem.  You must, however, understand that this is a lot of cruiser stuffed in a "little" boat.  When the market demands nearly 6' of cabin head room and an 8.5 foot beam, you get a boat that is sensitive to side-to-side loading.  With guests or a cross wind, you can expect to use the tabs while underway.  Also, with a full holding tank and empty water tank at the end of the weekend, you will see a list when the boat is stationary.  The tanks are oriented opposite each other and are tight against the sides of the boat.

This is our first cruiser and it sounds like the first for you.  Another comment: We thought the heat/AC would be a novelty that wouldn't be used.  Bottom line: we love it and use it all the time.  No matter your climate, it is nice to have on the hot days and also the damp days, and for general ventilation.  We wouldn't have another boat without heat/AC.

Please write and ask any questions or for clarification.  I will be writing about my gripes and asking for advice from this crowd.  I want to give as much as I recieve.

NW_Vermont

NW_Vermont
"Seaman"

Posted: December 12 2006 at 12:46 | IP Logged Quote NW_Vermont

Oh, and many many kudos to NHDoral for his prompt, positive and very knowlegeable input on these boards.  I could talk his ear off over a couple of beers.

There will be another Doral in my future!

NHDoral
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 12 2006 at 20:08 | IP Logged Quote NHDoral

NW, thanks for the kind words. Hope to help you out in the future. Give me a call about your windlass problem.

Cheers
NHDORAL

NW_Vermont
"Seaman"

Posted: December 14 2006 at 09:46 | IP Logged Quote NW_Vermont

NHDoral:

No prob. 

I hope to hear back from the original poster.

NW_Vermont

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version