View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Murray Chris Craft Constellations Post ReplyPost New Topic
150 Pages « 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Fantasy
"Navigator"

Posted: November 10 2007 at 13:18 | IP Logged Quote Fantasy

Paul,

You shouldn't have an overheating problem on one engine, however I think Detroit recommends not exceeding 50% throttle while on one engine.

The biggest issue is that the transmissions can't be allowed to freewheel because they get no lubrication and will soon chew themselves up.  If you do run on one engine you need to immobilize the shaft.  This is not efficient and is also inconvenient.  I carry a special clamp made for my shaft in case I lose one engine.  You can use a pipe wrench in a pinch.

John

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 10 2007 at 15:18 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

John:

A puff of black smoke is normal whenever you accelerate.  This is caused by the fact that it takes time for the turbo to wind up after the throttle is advanced.  So when you push the throttle forward more fuel is immediately added but no air is added until the turbo winds up and has achieved its full speed for that throttle setting.  In the interim you have too much fuel and not enough air.  And as we all know an overrich mixture causes black smoke and soot.

Paul:

I don't recommend running on one engine.  The maneuverability is terrible.  One engine running should only be used for emergency conditions.  If you have to run on one engine watch the temp gage and back off when it exceeds 170 degrees.  The slower you can run the better.

I'm not sure whether freewheeling the dead engine will damage the tranny or not.  It's true that the tranny doesn't get any oil pressure when the engine is off but on the other hand there isn't much pressure on any of the components either.

Most of us probably have the Twin Disc Model MG-509 transmissions.  I looked at the 509 manual and did not find any warnings about freewheeling which tends to make me think that freewheeling is not a problem on 509s.  The J&T Manual says nothing about freewheelig and the Detroit manual simply refers you to the Twin Disc manual.

But freewheeling is a problem on some transmissions so until we can get a definite answer the only safe thing is to assume that freewheeling should be minimized.  There is a mechanical lock system which locks the transmission to the engine but I haven't yet studied the manual well enough to tell you how to engage it.  I'm still looking for an answer on freewheeling but my memory tells me that somewhere in my past readings I was told that freewheeling was not a problem.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on November 10 2007 at 16:28

Fantasy
"Navigator"

Posted: November 10 2007 at 16:40 | IP Logged Quote Fantasy

I beg to differ with you, Pete, I'm not talking about turbo lag.  I don't get black smoke or soot under any running conditions.

What I do get is gray/white smoke (not blue) that is similar to when most 6-71's first start up cold. I only get it on warm engines for a few seconds after running at low speed and then going on plane.  The engine is clearly wet with fuel.

Regarding the transmissions, I have Capitols and their manual says "Freewheeling is strictly prohibited as extensive internal damage may result.  In the case of a twin screw application where only one engine may be used a great deal, shaft brakes should be intalled."  My Detroit manual also says that freewheeling will damage the gears on their Torqmatic transmission and they feature a lock-out for that reason.  I would assume that's why they put the lock-out feature on your Twin Discs but I suppose you should check it out.

John

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 10 2007 at 17:40 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi John,

I don't know what kind of smoke you are getting but you should be getting black smoke.  That's normal under turbo lag conditions.  And the turbo always lags when you accelerate.  Any engine which has an oversupply of fuel and a lack of air will produce black smoke.  If you are getting white smoke that is a symptom of faulty injectors, bad timing, poor compression or water in the fuel.  You definitely don't want any of those problems.

If it's grey white that could be a mixture of black and white smoke or black smoke and steam.  Steam usually indicates excessive exhaust temperatures. 

Reading exhaust smoke colors is not an exact science and when someone says your engine produces black smoke on accelerating he is not saying anything is wrong with your engine.  That is what it's supposed to do.  Your engines "wet out with fuel" because the second you push the throttle to accelerate a large rush of additional fuel is pumped into the engine but there is no additional air for it to mix with until the turbos wind up.  This "turbo lag" results in an over rich mixture, which causes incomplete combustion and black smoke.  In your case the black smoke may be mixing with white smoke (produced by other problems) resulting in grey smoke.  Turbo lag is only a transient effect and does not indicate anything is wrong with the engine.

I can't testify about Capitol transmissions because I don't have one and don't have a manual.  As I said, freewheeling is definitely a problem in some transmissions.  I don't know what Detroit manual you have but mine is the Detroit Diesel Series 92 Service Manual which would apply to the 6V92s supplied with most Connies.  You must be referring to a Series 71 manual because your engines are 671s.  Section 9 of the Series 92 manual titled "Transmissions" is a nearly blank page saying nothing other than a statement that you should consult the manuls produced by your transmission manufacturer.  BTW, lock-outs are mainly a way of locking your propeller shaft to your engine shaft to provide a way to get home in the event your transmission fails.  Torquematic transmissions sound like something you would have in a car or truck but perhaps they are used in boats too.

Pete37

Fantasy
"Navigator"

Posted: November 10 2007 at 19:16 | IP Logged Quote Fantasy

Sorry Pete but I think you missed the point.  White smoke is characteristic when starting a cold 2 stroke and especially a 6-71 (they run cooler).  Detroit advises that white smoke is normal.  Again,  I'm not talking about turbo lag but a condition that results from excessive fuel in a relatively cool combustion chamber and exhaust system.  For me, this happens at start-up and after running for several hours at slow speed when you are just not putting out enough BTU's to burn off all of the fuel.  It's not a problem but it could be if allowed to collect to the point that engine oil becomes diluted.  That's why I blow it out after several hours of running at low RPM's.

Regarding the transmissions, Detroit put out the Torqmatic Marine Gear that was used on their marinized engines (not Covington's or JT's).  When the lock-out feature is turned on, it won't allow the transmission to be engaged.  Like Capitol, they also recommend that sailing vessels, towed vessels and those running on one engine use a shaft brake to prevent overheating and damage.  My old Borg/Warners were the same way. But I understand that yours may be different.

Incidentally, I remember reading in some offshore sailing magazine that braking the propeller was more efficient than allowing it to freewheel.  It's counterintuitive but they used the analogy of a twirling maple seed which has more air resistance than the same mass dropping to the ground. Interesting and probably irrelevant trivia.

John

TStellato
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 10 2007 at 20:24 | IP Logged Quote TStellato

Pete,

I have to check our schedule and will let you know about the 1st.  I am hoping that we can make it.  Getting a new head on Tuesday (Raritan Seria)  so excited!  I am thinking that this is our Xmas present to each other.......  Guess you are getting old when this is what you want more than jewelry! lol!

Vicki

Back to Top Printable version View TStellato's Profile Search for other posts by TStellato

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: November 10 2007 at 21:30 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Hi Paul, Pete and others interested,

Pete mentioned some differances in the 1985 and early 1986 Chris 500's versus the later years.  A few other things I noticed when I was looking. On the later ones the fly bridge helm goes all the way from port to starboard. Looks a lot nicer and all gauges are in front of you instead of some on the side. The under helm storage area is easier to get into and has a lot more storage. The gauges (upper and lower) were upgraded to vdo, much better than telflex.

Some of the earlier models had the master state room with the vanity behind the bed with a closet next to it. I believe this arangement eliminated the tub. As I recall I saw one without the insuite head leaving only the head across the den and the bow head. The later connies master state room has a more convenient layout that flows better. I'm sure there were other differances that I have forgotten. There were some things I wasn't sure if Chris did or a prior owner.

Dave

In the den the later 500's added three drawers next to the desk. They also pai the bare metal trim around all the outside widows and ports for a more finished look.

Back to Top Printable version View David Ross's Profile Search for other posts by David Ross

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 10 2007 at 23:50 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Vicki,

Yeah, who would have thought years ago that a new head would be a thing of joy.  I was very happy to install new fresh water heads this spring because they completely got rid of that stale toilet odor.  And they use less water so you don't fill up your holding tank so fast.  I replaced two this spring and the third will be replaced next spring.  If you are replacing an old Galley Maid head don't forget that RAZ Marine will pay $150 for your old head motor if it's in good condition.

Pete37

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 11 2007 at 00:54 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Dave,

I checked on the "lock-out" feature of the MG-509.  It is described as a "Come-Home" feature which locks the forward clutch to the gear system to allow the boat to get home in the event that the clutch fails.  Instead of preventing the transmisson from engaging it guarantees that the transmission is engaged even if the clutch has failed.  I have no way of knowing what Capitol's "lock-out" feature is but one would tend to think it had the same objective.

White smoke is excess unburned fuel in the exhaust while black smoke is excess partially burned fuel in the exhaust.  White smoke, if it persists for more than 15 minutes after startup, it is definitely not normal at low speeds and indicates faulty injectors, poor compression or water in your fuel.

I did some warm-up tests on my 6V92s last spring when the weather was still pretty cold and the exhaust was totally clear after 30 minutes in neutral at high idle (about 1000 rpm).  The smoke cleared as soon as the engines got above 150 degrees.  There is no reason why a healthy engine should be emitting any smoke of any color after a half hour at low speed.  In the summer when the water is warm there is very little smoke even at startup and by 15 minutes it is clear.

If you have poor compression or leaky valves or if you flood your engines on startup a large belch of blue white smoke is quite common when the engines start but the exhaust clears up quite quickly.

At high speed (such as 2000 rpm) a small amount of white or gray smoke is normal.  The white part is usually condensing water vapor from the exhaust.

Blowing your engine out by a short run at high speed after hours at low speed does help to reduce the tar and gum in the cylinders.  But it does not remove the scratching and scoring of the cylinders caused by many hours at slow speed.  The scratching is permanent.  Never run your diesels for long periods at temperatures below the normal operating range.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on November 11 2007 at 01:02

Delaware Jim
"Navigator"

Posted: November 11 2007 at 08:43 | IP Logged Quote Delaware Jim

Pete,

Admiral Marie and I would like to accept your offer to meet at your place in Grasonville on 12/1.  THANK YOU!

Ken27 et al., - I have some J&T engine documents (abreviated owner's manual).  Send me an e-mail (jrabey@verizon.net) with your address and I'll scan and send to you next weekend. These in addition to the previously mentioned DD shop manual makes a pretty comprehensive package. 

On injectors - I understand the 145 injectors are a "revision" to 140's to reduce smoke/soot.  The data I've seen is they have the same fuel displacement per stroke as the 140's, but a different nozzle design. With the same fuel displacement, I would not consider these as "backyard engineering" (while I generally agree with Pete about "non-standard" setups).

Side Note: Maryland Terrapins beat Boston College (#8 nationally) 42-35 last night... color me Happy!  :-)

Delaware Jim

Edited by Delaware Jim on November 11 2007 at 08:46

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 11 2007 at 13:00 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Jim,

We'll be looking forward to seeing you and the Admiral Marie on the 1st.  More details will follow soon.

On the 145 injectors.  Someone, I think it might have been Emory, said he had replaced his 140 injectors with 145s but they made no improvement in smoke or soot.  However, I haven't heard any reports that they make things worse.  We really need a reading on the tradeoff of 140s vs 145s from the Detroit engineers (not mechanics).  But the best we can probably do is to get some comments and opinions from Boatdiesel.com.

The DD Series 92 Service Manual is frustrating.  It has a whole section on injectors but never makes any recommendation on the size of the injectors.  However, it was written in 1988 and 145s may not even have been available then.

The J&T Manual lists 140 injectors as the proper size but again it was written back in 1987 when 145s may not have been available.  In 2003, I had new injectors installed on my engines and the mechanic recommended (and installed) 140s.  I'm sure he would have known about 145s if they had been available then.

So at present, I haven't heard of any solid evidence indicating that 140s should be replaced by 145s but I haven't heard that they do any harm either.  The jury is out for now.

Pete37

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 11 2007 at 13:07 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

To ALL:

Happy Birthday

to the

Connie Forum

The Connie Forum was started on this day (November 11, 2006) and is now one year old.  In this time we have created 66 pages which contain 650 posts and the site has been read 21,379 times.  That's more than all the other Manufacturer Forums Chris Craft sites combined.  I just did a check of all the Powerboat Forums and the total posts exclusive of this forum is less than 1100.  That means that this forum generates about 37%  of all posts.  Not bad for a small bunch of less than 100 boats.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on November 11 2007 at 14:33

Ken27
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 11 2007 at 13:38 | IP Logged Quote Ken27

Pete,

I think I speak for everyone here, thanks to your dedication, wisdom, and wealth of experience, the forum has been extremely useful and enjoyable for all.

Also, the willingness of all the contributors to share their knowledge and secrets makes it a valuable source of information.

Ken

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: November 11 2007 at 14:12 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Hi Pete,

I think you meant the lock out transmission post for John not me, but I guess we all read every post anyway. By the way my boat has Detroit Allison N20 transmissions.

I echo Ken's words to you. Thank you for starting this forum and all your effort and input. Happy anniversary everyone.

Dave

Back to Top Printable version View David Ross's Profile Search for other posts by David Ross

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: November 11 2007 at 14:58 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

Pete - 1.) Ditto on Thanks for starting this forum.  I hope it continues to grow and maybe we can even move to a site of our own at some point in time.  2.)  Regretfully, Shirley and I cannot make you pot-luck event.  Thank you for the invitation.  3.) I was not me that changed injectors to 145's.  I am the one who has 130's.  They were changed by the last owner in an attempt to gain a little better fuel economy.  I really don't think it worked and I wish I had the original 140's back in the engines but I'm not interested in making a change.  I have a mechanic coming in Mid-March to go through both engines and test anything and everything possible to determine the cause of my smoke.  I'm still in the belief that it's an injector issue.

Marine Survey - Yacht Delivery
www.easternmarineservices.com
Back to Top Printable version View Banjoman's Profile Search for other posts by Banjoman

Monopoly1954
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 11 2007 at 18:44 | IP Logged Quote Monopoly1954

Hi Pete ,

Ditto on Thanks for starting this forum.  I hope it continues to grow. The information has been very valuable to us all. The knowledge on where to acquire some hard to find parts and insight to many common problems continues to help us all.

I was interested in the history of ownership on my 500. I have hull number 141. I believe that means it was the 41st to be built. I have owned it since 11-03. Is it easy to research the history of ownership? If so how is it done?

I have heard Ed McMahon, Johnny Carson's side kick, owned one of the 500's. I recall watching a show where he was giving a tour of his 500. Do you have any knowledge of which boat was his.

I have seen on boat that was built for Mary Kay. It was sold to man from Atlanta, GA. I have seen pictures on his make over. He did a great job. I was aboard his boat a couple of times while it was for sale in MD at Jackson's Marina.

Are you aware of any other 500's sold to noteworthy people?

Again thanks from me on all the hard work you have put in to make this site second to none!

Corey

1986 Chriscraft 500
Back to Top Printable version View Monopoly1954's Profile Search for other posts by Monopoly1954

Fantasy
"Navigator"

Posted: November 11 2007 at 19:12 | IP Logged Quote Fantasy

Corey, 

Did that Mary Kay boat that was at Jackson Marine have a pink interior?  I've always wondered why they did that.  Ownership by Mary Kay would make sense.

I'm sure Dave will pipe in, but his boat was owned by F. Lee Bailey.

John

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 11 2007 at 20:45 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Guys,

In answer to Corey's question "Is it easy to research the history of ownership?" the answer is I don't know.  Theoretically all the information is down in the CG Documentation archives.  But I don't know how to access it.  Perhaps someone would be willing to go down to the CG and ask them the question.

I can track some of the boats about five years back because I started to collect information on Connies about that time.  But before 2000 my information is very limited.

I have a magazine article showing a beaming Ed McMahon, his wife and child proudly ensconced on the FB of their new Constellation 500.  Since his boat was in California, it probably still is which makes one of the two Connies in CA the yacht that was once Ed's.  But I can't be sure.

Recently, I was browsing another boating forum and found a post relating to Connies that was signed George D. Murray.  Checking I found that it was indeed the G. Dale Murray who was once the President of Murray Chris Craft.  Time has not been kind to him.  His health has failed and he has had many financial reverses.  But he's still alive and living in Tennesee.  He is in fact 5 years younger than I.

If any of you know of a Connie which was once owned by a famous person pass me a post and I will put it on a list.

Pete37

Monopoly1954
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 11 2007 at 21:04 | IP Logged Quote Monopoly1954

Hi Pete,

I will start with the CG and see what I can find out. I thought the show with Ed McMahon was filmed on the west coast of FL.

The 500 at Jackson's  did have the pink interior. I understand there was a second one. I bid on the boat  but was outbid by the current owner in GA. He sent me pictures  of the boat after the transformation.  The job he did was just remarkable. I recall he did most of the work himself. Every weekend he drove from his home  in Atlanta to the shore.  I think it took him 6-8 months to  de - pink the boat.

The finished boat was as nice as I have seen pictures of.

If he is not part of this site,  he would be a source  for some great  information on the transformation and  just he is a great guy.

I will try to find his email address and clue him in.

Corey

1986 Chriscraft 500
Back to Top Printable version View Monopoly1954's Profile Search for other posts by Monopoly1954

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: November 12 2007 at 01:16 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Corey, Pete and all,

I was the one who had 145 injectors installed. They put in Reliabilt Premium which I now hear is not the brand to use. I did not request a brand or the type and do not know what was installed before. As mentioned in an earlier post I did not notice any performance differance and still had a soot problem.

John is correct, F. Lee Bailey was the original owner of my boat. I have an older airplane pilot license of his that I found on board. The boat was originally called "Amazing Grace" after his mother, Grace. I heard Ed McMahon and F. Lee Bailey each owned  5% of Chris Craft. Ed had a Chris Craft that might have had a cockpit added. Johnny Carson would kid him about his portable bar that was driven for him by someone else. I remember watching one of those shows. 

Lee was more hands on but also had a captain.  Small world, I ran into a captain in Florida who knew his captain and told me some stories. I have his name some where. I also found on board Lee's Captain's name and an old boat phone number.

There is a coffee table book titled something like "The History Of Chris Craft" that is suppose to have some information on Ed, Lee, Chris Craft executives and others, along with some good information.

By the way when Johnny Carson retired he spent most of his time aboard his yacht "Serendipity". I saw Ed McMahon interviewed after Johnny Carson died and Ed said he recently had been aboard to visit and said Johnny was happiest on the boat.

Woody Jackson, of Jackson Marine in Norhteast, MD, sold F. Lee Bailey's boat for him and had lots of pictures and info in a file that was unfortunately lost in a fire. Woody did give me Lee's phone number in Palm Beach and said he would be glad to talk to me about his boat and probably would have pictures and many stories and to be sure to say Woody said hello. I called and his secretary, Sue, said he was out of the office but was sure he would talk to me. She scheduled a phone appointment for a few days later. When I called back, Sue said they were filming in his office for a special on crimes of the century (this was near the end of 1999). She apologized saying this was a last minute deal and said to call back for another appointment. I got busy and never did call back. I did see that documentary a few months after. A little later I saw another show featuring F. Lee Bailey which said he was starting a marine business that was going to rebuild aluminum Chris Craft Roamers to updated standards with great craftmanship. Apparently it never worked out.

Enough already.... I am heading to the boat tomorrow for three days to do a few chores and winterize.

Dave

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 12 2007 at 10:36 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Dave,

I was looking up some stuff on Ed McMahon and found some articles on Johnny Carson.  Johnny had two yachts which he named "Serengeti".  Johnny also learned to speak Russian and Swahili after he retired.  The second of the two yachts which he owned named "Serengeti" was a 130' custom Son Ship which he docked (at least part of the time) at Marina Del Ray in CA.  There are pictures of it on the web.

There is also a book called The Legend of Chris-Craft by Jeffrey L. Rodengen.  Chapter XX titled "The Eighties" is all about the Murray Chris Craft era.  Principle characters in Murray Chris Craft were G. Dale Murray, F. Lee Bailey, Richard E. "Dick" Genth, General Alexander Haig and Ed McMahon.  Ed McMahon was an ardent boating enthusiast who named his 500 "Queen Victoria" in honor of his wife Victoria. F. Lee Bailey also had a 1987 500 which as you state was named "Amazing Grace"  and later became your yacht "Good Spirits".

It should be pointed out that the Connie operation in Swansboro, NC was only one very small part of Murray Chris Craft.  George Dale Murray, president of Murray Chris Craft was born in NC in 1942 and made his money in the coal industry.  Murray was a self made millionaire by December 4, 1981 when he, F. Lee Bailey and Walt Schumacher bought the Boat Division of Chris Craft Industries for about $5 million.

In 1984 Murray bought Uniflite Inc. and its two plants in Bellingham, WA and Swansboro, NC.  Uniflite had 46' and 50' motoryachts in production at Swansboro and Murray continued to produce them as the Chris Craft Constellation 460 and 500 models until February 1989 when he sold Murray Chris Craft to OMC for $53 million.  By that time the production of 500s had been phased out and only the 501s were produced. 

OMC never really got the Swansboro plant back in production and produced only six 501s between February 1989 and November 1990.  The Swansboro plant was mothballed in 1991 and production of Connies ceased.  Murray is still alive and living somewhere in Tennessee but is in poor health and has had many financial reverses.  He occasionally posts messages on one of the boating forums.

And so the Connies seem to fade into the sunset.  But do they?  In 1989 a new yacht, the Jefferson Monticello, appeared with an amazing resemblence to the 500.  It has the same beam. The length is two feet longer but this seems to have been accomplished by adding 2' to the transom.  The weight is about 4,000 lbs less than the dry weight for a 500 but that could be accounted for by the much smaller engines.  And the draft is about a foot less but that could be accounted for by the smaller props that go with the smaller engines.  Interior layout is very similar.  The Jefferson Monticello appears to be a Chris Craft 500 dressed up in Jefferson clothes and pushed by dinky engines.  And what happened to the 501?  That seems to have been reincarnated as the Jefferson Marquessa.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on November 13 2007 at 00:19

Fantasy
"Navigator"

Posted: November 12 2007 at 12:05 | IP Logged Quote Fantasy

Coincidentally, we're in Swansboro now and I've been thinking of taking a tour of the plant.

After OMC failed, the plant was picked up by Tiara.  Then, Brunswick bought it in 2005 for its Hatteras line.  Apparently, their New Bern facility has maxed out and they need the Swansboro plant for expansion.

Hatteras is now making a 56' "entry level" motor yacht which is to debut in the spring of 2008.  Base engines are 705hp Cummins and it will cruise at 18kn and top out at 21kn.  It will carry 900 gal. with a range of 300 miles.  Sticker price: just under $2 million.

I don't know if the 56 is being manufactured at Swansboro but if any of you would like me to make a deposit for you, just send cash.

John

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 12 2007 at 12:16 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi John,

I'd send you the cash right now but I'm putting the money for my next megayacht in a pickle jar on Funk & Wagnall's porch and I can't get over there today.  Plus, I'm not sure I could be satsified with a mere "entry level" yacht.

Cry

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on November 12 2007 at 12:26

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 12 2007 at 13:21 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

I checked on injectors last night on Boatdiesel.com and got the following response to a question asked by someone named Ken about injector size and nomenclature.

Response #1 from: Ronald Guy Sparks [email] Corporate Member Level 3 Member Date:  October 10, 2005 - 03:39 PM   

Ken: In the case of your 130 injectors, and many additional but by no means all Detroit Injectors, the 130 or other designation refers directly, or indirectly to the nominal amount of fuel that injector can inject at maximum stroke (power setting). The number 130 means your injector is rated to inject at maximum stroke, 130 cubic millimeters of fuel per 1,000 strokes of the injector. A 120 injector would be rated to inject nominally 120 cubic millimeters of fuel per 1,000 strokes of the injector.  Approximate tolerance between from nominal rating for minimum and maximum amounts of fuel a given injector actually injects at maximum stroke when calibrated prior to shipment from the manufacturer/rebuilder is +/- 2.5%. As an aside, special sets of matched calibration injectors are available from Detroit at an added price. My suggestion is spend your money on other aspects of your boat.

Ron Sparks

From this we can see that if 130 injectors are substituted for 140 injectors in a 530 hp 6V92TI the net horsepower of the engine becomes (130/140) x 530 = 492 hp.

I also found this statement about the difference between 140 and 145 injectors:

Response #5 from: Todd [email] Guest Guest Date:  July 13, 2007 - 08:58 PM   

140 injectors were the predecessors to the 145 injector. They were used in early high horse power 92 engines. They were eventually replaced by the 145 because of smoke problems created by the 140. You are correct about the fuel ouput of 136-144cc. When 140 injectors come into the shop for testing and if they fail we reccomend replacing them with the 145. Just in case you need it the reliabilt part number for the 140 is r5229495 and the 145 is r5226555 if you decide to upgrade. Hope this helps.
todd

I think this explains the difference between 140s 1nd 145s.  But Dave Ross installed 145s and said they didn't make any difference.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on November 13 2007 at 00:17

Ken27
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 12 2007 at 14:43 | IP Logged Quote Ken27

Banjoman,

I've been procrastinating on ordering the engine manual, but will do it now.  Thanks for the push.

If you or anyone else has a copy of the J/T manual, I'd be very interested in buying a copy.

Cel 612-720-4933 or kwolkerstorfer@usfamily.net

Thanks,

Ken

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: November 12 2007 at 21:43 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

Ken - Sorry.   I thought I had a copy of the JT manual in my filing cabinet but it was some other JT stuff that I don't think will help you much.  But get that Detroit Diesel CD.  It's worth the money.

Marine Survey - Yacht Delivery
www.easternmarineservices.com
Back to Top Printable version View Banjoman's Profile Search for other posts by Banjoman

Ken27
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 12 2007 at 22:03 | IP Logged Quote Ken27

Banjoman,

Thank you for the effort anyway.  I might have another source for the J/T manual now, and like I said, I needed a push to finally order the DD manual, which I will do.

Ken

DMark
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 13 2007 at 23:25 | IP Logged Quote DMark

All,

I posted once before back in July.  Had a hard drive crash blah, blah, blah and have spent the last couple weeks getting caught up.  I love this site and all the really great info and commentary.  Even the disagreements are helpful in figuring out problems.  I'd like to offer some help.  Here goes...

Ken,

I've spent the last week catching up on all the posts and noticed you were  looking for a radar arch.  Can't tell from the string if you ever got closure on that subject or not.  I have a potential solution, if you're still interested.  Washington Marine in Cincinnati, Ohio built one for my '86 500 in the last year or so.  A couple winters ago the roof collapsed on my fly bridge and broke the previous arch.  My new  one looks better than the original.  My boat is an 85 hull sold in 86 and I believe yours is an 85.  I don't know for sure if all the fits will be right, but Washington may be able to offer you a way to increase your certainty.

If you're interested I can call and see if they still have all the materials they need to produce another one.  They have an excellent reputation.  You can call them your self if you'd prefer.

Best, Mark

Back to Top Printable version View DMark's Profile Search for other posts by DMark

rvolker
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 14 2007 at 09:46 | IP Logged Quote rvolker

Mark,

Do you recall the cost of the arch that Washington Marine made for you?  Also was it a open tube type arch or one that was finished (totally covererd) like the original arches.  I have a Consetllation 460 and have been looking at arch options.

Thanks,

Randy

Constellation 460 - 1986
Back to Top Printable version View rvolker's Profile Search for other posts by rvolker

Ken27
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 14 2007 at 14:54 | IP Logged Quote Ken27

Mark,

Yes, I'm VERY interested in the arch.  I, however will have to act on it quickly as I'm also working with someone locally, but they are not in the ballpark for cost that I believe it should be.  If you can contact them, or get me the info and I will, and get some kind of idea on the cost and type of fabrication, then that'll help a lot.  Let me know how you want to proceed.        &nbs p;       

Cel 612-720-4933, e-mail kwolkerstorfer@usfamily.net

Thanks,

Ken

Edited by Ken27 on November 14 2007 at 15:00

DMark
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 14 2007 at 15:09 | IP Logged Quote DMark

Ken and Randy,

I called Washington Marine and they are checking on pricing and availability.  This is a picture of the "Nancy Carolyn".  The black canopy snaps & zips onto the arch, so there's a bit of overlap.  Its made of aluminum and painted with IMRON paint.  Its quite stout and looks original.  I'll pass on more data as soon as I hear from Washington.

Best, Mark

Back to Top Printable version View DMark's Profile Search for other posts by DMark

DMark
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 14 2007 at 17:20 | IP Logged Quote DMark

Ken & Randy,

Talked to Lynn Schalk at Washington Marine in Cincinnati, OH and she talked with Greg Kroell who actually did the work.  (Greg is an employee of WM).  Greg's preference was obvioulsy to have a boat in his shop to do the work, but recognizes that this will not be possible in this situation.  So he said that he would do the work, but to get the fits right for your boats would need to take measurements off mine.  I okay'd this request.  Lynn did not have immediate access to pricing but agreed to talk to both of you and work something out.

Since there seems to be positive interest from WM, I really don't see a need for me to facilitate this any further, so here's their number. 

Washington Marine:  513-232-6000

Please feel free to make contacts as you see fit. 

Also, glad to help with any other questions you may have.  I can say that many boat owners in this region use WM for various projects and everyone I've met speaks very highly of them.

Good luck.

Best,
Mark

bfool
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 14 2007 at 18:08 | IP Logged Quote bfool

mark    your 500 is by far the finest looking yacht i personally have ever seen,but i am a little bias.

TStellato
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 14 2007 at 18:55 | IP Logged Quote TStellato

Mark,

Did you have your boat repainted?  It looks 'very" white!  IF so where and ballpark price.  Thanks.

Back to Top Printable version View TStellato's Profile Search for other posts by TStellato

DMark
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 14 2007 at 18:58 | IP Logged Quote DMark

You folks have been treated to a completely biased and shameless compliment from the "re-incarnator" of my Connie, none other than Ken "Bfool" Marcotte.  Ken, welcome to the forum!  If any of you are restoring a Connie, Ken knows every inch intimately and can be an invaluable reference.  But, beware, he is a relentless perfectionist.  There is indeed a fine line...Thumbs Up

Edited by DMark on November 14 2007 at 18:59

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 14 2007 at 19:37 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

Good god almighty, the picture upload function is working again!!!

Pete37

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 14 2007 at 19:45 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Bfool,

Welcome aboard!  Looks like you know a lot about Connies.  Glad to have you aboard.  Do you have a Connie or do you just fix them?

Pete37

DMark
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 14 2007 at 19:54 | IP Logged Quote DMark

Pete,

Ken "Bfool" Marcotte is the previous owner of my Connie.  Back then she was called the "Borderline Fool."

Mark

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 14 2007 at 20:05 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Dmark,

Looks like the documentation hasn't cought up with the name change.  I missed that one.

Pete37

DMark
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 14 2007 at 20:41 | IP Logged Quote DMark

Tony & Vicki,

I purchased the "Nancy Carolyn" after she had been repainted.  She was repainted at Washington Marine by Ken Marcotte and employees of Washington Marine.  I believe Ken stripped her down and undercoated her.  Washington Marine applied the IMRON paint at Ken's specification.  So, the cost was part sweat and part cash.  Ken may or may not be able to estimate.

Pete,

You are correct the documentation hasn't caught up yet.

Best,

Mark

Edited by DMark on November 14 2007 at 20:44

]
] ]
150 Pages « 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version