View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Murray Chris Craft Constellations Post ReplyPost New Topic
150 Pages « 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 07 2013 at 20:36 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Capt Wayne,
Subject: Boat US Email

Here is a copy of the email sent to me by Claire Wyngaard of Boat US on 10/11/13.

"Dear Mr. Minott,
I asked Chris Morrison about the Boat Groups.
He confirmed what Brian Azarís note said, and the member requirement has solved the problem of abusive and offensive comments. The language so so bad, we had no choice but to limit the access. We donít have the staff to moderate for such comments. We feel membership rate is inexpensive ($24/yr) and Cooperating Group members can join at $15/yr.

Iím afraid we donít have the computer support system for a first month/week free policy, so at this time we donít plan any changes.

Sincerely,
Claire

Claire Wyngaard X3605
BoatU.S. Publications
880 S. Pickett St, Alexandria, VA 22304
703-461-2864, Fax 703-461-2845
CWyngaard@BoatUS.com"

In other words, we are being thrown out for using obscene language.   Of course only those of us who are not members of Boat US are being thrown out. Boat US members never use obscene language.

I don't think Claire realizes that we have copies of every one of the 5473 posts made on the forum and that copies of the posts were distributed to every forum member who has a copy of the Connie Forum DVD long before this issue came up.

I used a search engine to scan all 5473 posts and did not find any "so so bad" words. That comment is just being used to cover up some real reason which I don't even know of but suspect is simply money. It would be nice if Claire could quote some of those "so so bad" words so that we can check them out.

Those of you who are pissed-off should call Margaret Podlich 703-461-4666 (Fax 703-461-4666) at Boat US to tell her that we don't appreciate being slandered. But "Lots of Luck" she never answers her phone. If you can't get in touch with Margaret try Claire. Claire doesn't realize that her email will be sent to other forums.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on November 07 2013 at 20:53

eshover
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 07 2013 at 20:51 | IP Logged Quote eshover

So Pete - what we're talking about here is extortion. You
either join or you're out! I was a member here a long time
ago as you know. I've tried to be a good contributor. Yes,
discussion could get heated. Even hot at times, but we
never, NEVER used profanity. I, and others, know our
Connies from stem to stern. There isn't a nut or bolt on
my Connie that I haven't touched.

Personally, I don't think BoatUS wants to put forth the
effort to maintain this site. Damned sad I'd say.

Pete - if you could send me a copy of what you've got I'll
be glad to pay you for the medium.

I'm deleting my account after this post.

You want profanity? f**k you administrator!

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 07 2013 at 21:05 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Claire Wyngaard,

Sorry Claire, I don't approve of Emory's last comment but I understand it. I've received numerous emails with similar sentiments. I think I'm going to try to avoid buying anything from Boat US. Slandering your customers is very bad form.

Pete37

Capt.Wayne
"Seaman"

Posted: November 07 2013 at 21:21 | IP Logged Quote Capt.Wayne

Thanks Pete,

I see your concern. I've read every post on this form and did not read any profanity or so so bad language from any of our members. They must be talking about another group with bad language, and penalized the whole Boat US form, not just ours. Maybe that's why they can't give clarification as what or who posted the bad language. At any rate, I'll make some calls myself, and keep you posted.

Back to Top Printable version View Capt.Wayne's Profile Search for other posts by Capt.Wayne

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: November 08 2013 at 23:46 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

I glanced at the forum's posting traffic on the left margin. Even with the general reduced volume of posts site wide of late, the CC area(s) appear to still have the highest traffic volume. This is not good news as this volume is greatly reduced. I'm not sure of B.U.S.'s views on justifying its existence based on volume, but also it may be partly on the perceived need of BUS's continuants for this kind of forum.

I point out that B.U.S. is, for better or worse, owned by for-profit West Marine. Whether BUS take's policy direction from WM is unknown, but a distinct possibility where the profit health of WM vs BUS's non profit status is a balancing act, probably I speculate, controlled by WM.
I remember when BUS was a stand-alone company until WM bought them- far as I remember BUS was struggling. BUS at that time had a excellent parts operation with great pricing. When WM bought them, that went away leaving the so-so (still so-so) WM parts operation with a much reduced inventory- pity that. It was a real hit when WM did that....probably because and for the all-mighty dollar- uggg!

The thing that bothers me about the bad language thing is that it appears to have been a unilateral accusation made by the companies' administration and not as a reaction to user complaints. I say this as I have pretty much read all postings since inception and never read any serous swearing. Also, the site's rules spells out that swearing is a no-no and the site master shuts down postings and users who do that- they really do have a great deal of control. Perhaps oversight is/was not a constant thing but, non the less, the BUS guys could and can deal with it.

I do remember the mentioning by Brian A. (sitemaster) about the non-boating, off subject dialogs going on with increasing frequency on the Catalina forum and that this was the main impetus for the members-only-to-post policy. I have to agree that these postings were a frustration. Most postings had pretty much been reduced to subjects about family outings, personal non- boat related subjects and not strictly technical or for example, rules-of-the-road boating subjects. I think this more that anything was the root cause of the rules change. While these off subject postings were good intentioned, there was a certain blindness to respecting the intended function of the site. I'm sure there would be debate on this, but this was more about sensitivity (or lack of it) to the forum's mandated intent.
For this reason, I think the difficult decision was made. I just wish some of the Catalina group would have been better able to discern this and restrain themselves.

The thing about swearing I think is a reaction to the increased volume of frustrations ( I think justified) expressed and the lack of recollection or plain ignorance of the history on this by BUS administrators. Hence a stab (without researching the circumstances) at the untrue reason for the policy change and all the subsequent uninformed statements, accusations etc.

I have always preferred this Forums design features and hope BUS continues operating it, (even with the policy shift) in light of its very real value to boat owners and operators. The fee paid to keep the forum on a focused discourse is worth it. In this day and age, good information costs. Some of the best dialogs/monologs whatever have occurred here.

Best, Diver

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 09 2013 at 13:05 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Diver,

I think, based on numerous testimonials from users of the Connie Forum, that the ďso so badĒ words justification for requiring Boat US membership was a bogus argument made solely to cover up the real reason which was money. It costs money to run a forum and Boat US saw no profit in it.

Of course Boat US spends thousands (perhaps millions) of dollars on advertising and the forum was good advertising as well as producing a lot of good will. We had nearly a half million people who read the forum and Iím sure it gave most of them a favorable disposition towards Boat US.

There are about 150 Connies in existence and the owner of each Connie spends about $15,000 per year on maintaining his Connie. Thatís an average of course; some spend less and some a lot more. That makes 2.25 million dollars per year spent by Connie owners. Thatís probably not a lot to Boat US but it certainly should be worth spending some of their advertising funds to attract the owners to Boat US products and services.

Iíve been on a lot of forums (both boating oriented and otherwise) and most of them had designated forum monitors. They were just ordinary members who agreed to monitor the forum, keep it on topic and eliminate any offensive or obscene language. While they were just ordinary members they had the authority to delete any offensive or off-topic posts. They were not paid employees. They performed the monitoring functions solely because they valued the information gained from the forum and wished it to prosper. Boat US never had any forum monitors. I think that was a mistake.

The cost of being a Boat US member doesnít bother me. I can afford it and the forum is worth it. But from the standpoint of attracting new forum members itís a disaster. People casually browsing the web simply wonít subscribe to anything that costs money. Any forum that charges an up-front fee to post is doomed to oblivion. And thatís why Iím now making most of my posts on www.trawlerforum.com. Itís free and has lots of members interested in maintaining their yachts. Iíve set up a Connie sub-forum on it but still occasionally log into this forum.

The Chris Craft Catalina owners have also set up their own forum site and Iíve tried it. Unfortunately it has a lot of bugs and the photo upload/download is inadequate. Iím monitoring it to see if it improves but donít expect much to happen.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on November 09 2013 at 13:18

Terri Parrow
Admin

Admin

Posted: November 11 2013 at 11:37 | IP Logged Quote Terri Parrow

Pete37

Iím sorry to hear that youíre frustrated with the BoatUS
Boat Groups forum.

Iíd like to address your concerns.

Regarding font size. We havenít changed the font size. I
donít know what kind of computer youíre using to access
this, but if itís PC, not an apple, then you should be able to
hit Ctrl + to make the text larger and Ctrl Ė to make the
font smaller. Does that work for you?

Let me assure you, BoatUS does not think ill of the
members of the forum, in fact, we think very highly of our
members and enjoy providing them with a way for them to
communicate directly with other members. There is a lot
of great information exchanged here and I only wish there
were more!

We have not been deleting any posts. If youíre having a
problem with one, of if it disappearing , please let us know.
Maybe thereís something wrong with the database or
something else, but there is no one here at BoatUS deleting
your posts.

Rather than one long thread just for Chris Craft
Constellations, we can make a separate section apart from
Chris Craft. Would you like to try that?

Yes, on April 23rd, 2012 we made changes to both the
BoatUS Messageboards, including Boat Groups. The
change was to only allow Members to be able to post to the
forums, but anyone could read them. The reason for this
was because we had been having problems with some
people harassing other forum members and posting
inappropriate things. We had tried to delete them, but
because it was open to anyone, they would just come back
with a different user name and email address. So to be
able to eliminate the abusers, we had to require they be a
BoatUS Member. This gives us the ability to remove
people who abuse the forum.

We do not have enough people to monitor the forums all
the time, so if anyone has any problems or questions,
please either contact Brian Azar (Bazar@BoatUS.com) or
me (Tparrow@BoatUS.com ) directly.

I hope this addresses your concerns.

Terri Parrow Botsford
VP BoatUS Internet Operations

Back to Top Printable version View Terri Parrow's Profile Search for other posts by Terri Parrow

Terri Parrow
Admin

Admin

Posted: November 11 2013 at 12:07 | IP Logged Quote Terri Parrow

diveryates

In 2003 BoatUS sold its Marine Centers/Stores to West Marine. West Marine does not own BoatUS.  We have a Marketing Agreement with West Marine that allows BoatUS Memberships to be sold in West Marine Stores, but that's all. We are two separate and different entities.

Here are a couple links to what Richard Schwartz wrote about the relationship back in the March 2003 BoatUS Magazine.

http://www.boatus.com/boatgroups/pdf/2003-boatus-and-west-ma rine.pdf

http://www.boatus.com/boatgroups/pdf/2003-boatus-and-west-ma rine_q-and-a.pdf

If you have any questions about this, please do not hesitate to contact me at tparrow@boatus.com

Back to Top Printable version View Terri Parrow's Profile Search for other posts by Terri Parrow

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: November 11 2013 at 14:45 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Terri,
I stand corrected on the ownership detail- thanks. For better or worse, I guess I consider buying those cool BUS stores and then closing them as tantamount to burying the competition despite the verbal niceties (I read the articles you linked) attributed to the event. Don't get me wrong, I'm all American, but letting the market do its thing sometimes hard on the carpet...and customers. Capitalism at work...understandable but...ugg. I really liked BUS's parts operation. They just seemed to have better products than WM. example: WM carried exclusively Orion flares where BUS (at the time) carried a selection, some vastly (some still are) superior. BUS stores just seemed to maintain a solider, closer connection with their suppliers and a certain kind of flexibility with their customers. A dedicated parts counter with experienced people was plus too... a rarity these days.
I guess I miss that kind of one-on-one, knowledgeable chat-it-up support BUS staffers had for projects large and small. The guys just really know their stuff and would say things like 'Oh, you don't want product XYZ, you want this- it works better because...'. These places are still around but they are usually smaller operations. Like mentioned previous, these days we pays for knowledge.
Anyway, thanks for getting back.
respectfully, Diver

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: November 21 2013 at 17:01 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Pete, you still here?? Did you see the Boat US responses? I saw some Chris Craft posts on the Trawler Forum on the right side area and now nothing. How do I find you guys. Are you through with this Boat US site? Hopefully you might be checking here ocassionally and see this.

Anyone else out there or are we done?

Back to Top Printable version View David Ross's Profile Search for other posts by David Ross

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 21 2013 at 22:44 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Dave , I am here. Been hauled out having the bottom done at Dog
River marina.   Good people. Leaving in the am for orang beach.

Capt.Wayne
"Seaman"

Posted: November 22 2013 at 09:14 | IP Logged Quote Capt.Wayne

Dave, I'm still on this site, it contacts me on by email on every message. I'm on the trawler form also, but not alerted. Maybe I  haven't activated to the email alert.

I'm traveling this weekend, returning to the boat, lots of things to do when I get there.

Capt. Wayne

Back to Top Printable version View Capt.Wayne's Profile Search for other posts by Capt.Wayne

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 22 2013 at 22:23 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Dave,

Yes, I'm still here. Been spending most of my time on the Trawler Forum. We have a Connie topic but unfortunately very few Connie owners participate.

Pete37

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 24 2013 at 08:18 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Well never left Dog River Marina. Batteries were dead, also charger.
Electrician at yard says 40 amp 3 position charger is plenty. Anybody
have to change their charger?

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 24 2013 at 17:00 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Pat,

You must be speaking of the Pro Mariner Battery charger that was sort of standard on Connies. It handles three battery banks and has a total capacity of 80 amps. Mine is still working fine and I haven't heard of any complaints from other Connie owners. Call (805) 644-1886 to get help from Pro Mariner.

Very strange that all the batteries went dead at the same time with no warning. But if the charger went dead the batteries would obviously go dead too. However after adding water the batteries may come back to full charge when a new battery charger is attached.

Was Dog River your final destination?

Pete37

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 24 2013 at 18:20 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Hello Pete, batteries have been tested, two show dead cells the other
two can't be far behind. Charger failed first on one terminal, tested
others only putting out 11.5 volts. I've been topping off batteries with
distilled water for months.
I figure if the batteries were low the charger should be putting out
near 14 volts not 11.5.   If you think I made a bad assessment please
advise.
This has not been sudden, say over three weeks. Hence I have been in
the planning stage. Not the charger.   However I was planning on
cutting out the plywood that is glassed to the stringers and relaxing the
supports with 2" SS angle. I have cut it out, cleaned the bilge, sealed
the plywood edges which I left 2" to screw the 2" angle to and painted
the battery boxes.
Yard will put the new batts in the boxes tomorrow, I have the new
charger 80 percent in. Just need to hook up the a/c line.

Needless to say ,I do not need the expense of a new charger if I don't
need it.
Need to get traveling south. It's getting cold here.

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 25 2013 at 18:49 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Pat,

Subject: Mobile, Alabama

I never thought of Mobile as having a cold climate since it's right on the Gulf. But of course compared to Miami it's probably cold.

I Googled in on the marina. It's right next to the expressway. But I couldn't spot your boat. Maybe it's under the shed.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on November 25 2013 at 19:01

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: November 25 2013 at 19:03 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Pat, Pete, Wayne, Diver and who ever else still out there,

At least a few of us are are still here. Don't  see any postings on the Trawler site anymore. How do I find you?? I did not join yet but was following the chat from the side bar info and it is no longer there .

Back to Top Printable version View David Ross's Profile Search for other posts by David Ross

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 25 2013 at 19:14 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Dave,

If you've found the Trawler Forum joining is easy; and free! Just follow the instructions.

I've been posting lately in the "Shore Power Independence Forum" which is just under the Connie Forum in the Trawler Forums list.

Haven't posted in about 4 day though due to a computer breakdown. Finally got it fixed.

Looking forward to seeing you on the Trawler Forum.

Pete37

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: November 25 2013 at 22:02 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Ahoy Dave,

Yup, still here. Also plugged into the Trawler Forum (thank you Pete37) and Catalina Group. There's a kind of ebb and flow that goes on. The sum of it all creates an interesting picture of current affairs of power boating in this slice of the world- current affair- it's getting (or had got) cold back East!
Our Cat 280 is a pretty simple affair, but I always seem to glean something new from stuff on-line...so I'm still a fan!

We're setting up to haul and do bottom paint, replace fuel and head vent hoses and fittings, check the drive train, shaft/rudder logs and prop. Routine, thank goodness- we run'r easy on gas. Interesting: the Connies must run at a given and somewhat narrow operating range... and seems to be the root of many issues- it's simple, but complicated. I DO learn good things on these forums.

Here's a tip: Our Certified Mercruiser mechanic put me on to this stuff 'Comp Cam'. It's a engine rebuild break-in additive. Recommends adding it to every oil change. This would be for older engines only. Wonder it it would benefit the Connies DD's? In the 5 hours I've run since the oil change, the engine does runs smoother- especially at idle, low RPM. Good news! I think I can recommend this stuff for this kind of application.

This time out we're also going to bite our lower lip and assess the condition of the engine stringers. This involves unscrewing the 8" wood bolts securing the engine mounts and taking a peak- finger crossed! The bilge has been dry since 2000 when we bought her, but was wet at the time we stepped aboard then- so the question is: can water be retained for 13 years inside stringer's fiberglass shells encasing the wood for that long? Frankly, I don't know what kind of wood Chris Craft used for Cat 280 Stringers- hoping it was not balsa! Does anybody know or comment on this issue? Or, if it was wet (we don't know for sure), will there be a possibility it has dried out in the last 13 years? The engine seems solid when we bring her up and there's no vibration. We're hopeful. We're keeping a weary eye on the old 'if-it-ain't-broke' thing as we do this,,,
This is motoring season on SF Bay- we're very lucky.

Here's a shot of the running gear last time hauled - there was 5 years on that bottom with a diver on it every 6 months- not too bad.

Best, Diver

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 26 2013 at 19:26 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Hey Dave, Iam on both sights also. Pete and Emory are th gurus
here. I am learning. I will after any advice I think may be pertinent.
Lets keep this sight alive.

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 26 2013 at 20:11 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

If anybody needs to replace packing in stuffing box. You will need 7' of
1/2" stuffing. I used Teflon- fiber. Lubricant and a packing puller which
is a t-handled corkscrew. For removing the old. It takes 5 layers. Use
the collar to press each layer in.   Do not over tighten. Slowly tighten
the collar over 5-8 hours of running, until you get a drop every 10-15
seconds.

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 30 2013 at 10:11 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

Forget about the Trawler Forum. It's a good forum but has problems. I'm no longer posting on it. I'm going to try again to see if there is some way to salvage this forum. While it isn't perfect of all the forums I've seen this one has the best format and features.

Pete37

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 05 2013 at 07:34 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Hello Pete, could you send me the info you have on water tank
replacement. My email is patrick@hoffmanbuilders.org.
Thanks. Patrick

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: December 07 2013 at 18:04 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Hi all,

There has been mention awhile back and recently about checking the lower saloon circuit panel electrical connections. They can become loose and be a fire hazzard. I would add to check the upper saloon breakers for the port and starboard shore power outlets for loose or corroded wires also. This could become another fire hazzard, The dock water outlets are located in the same area and a leak could add to the possible problem.

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 07 2013 at 18:33 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Dave I will deffinetly heed your warning as well as Emory's.   although
I have had three different electricians look at it, that could also add to
the problem.   I spoke with a marine electrician yesterday and he said
to excersize the switch, with the power off at the pedistal of course.   
Even if this simple fix works, I will inspect these items. Heaven knows,
I have tightened enough wires, clamps, bonding wires etc. to believe
that this could be an issue. I would hope that anyone with enough
gonnads to go into that box would know what's right and wrong.

eshover
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 07 2013 at 18:44 | IP Logged Quote eshover

Take your house and slam it into the pavement many times a
year over 20 to 30 years and see what happens to the
systems. It would be a total loss. And yet we expect our
boats to do this and rarely do we inspect the things we need
to inspect.

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 07 2013 at 18:54 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Excellent analogy Emory.

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: December 08 2013 at 11:10 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

I'm not sure how you would pick your house up and slam ir against the pavement. Just taking it off the foundations would destroy it. But perhaps a California earthquake might be a good analogy.

Of course checking anything on a boat is always a good idea. However, in the seven years or so of posting on this forum no one has ever mentioned any problems with the AC electrical panel. So it doesn't seem to be a high probability problem.

However, if you're going to check the AC electrical panel you'll need to build some sort of temporary electrical box system to provide power and light while you are working on the panel. It should be completely independent from the boat's electical system.

The system would need a shore power plug, a hefty cable and some sort of distribution box on the end that goes into the boat.

I've thought about building one several times but never did it. Don't work on the AC panel until the boat is completely disconnected from shore power. It's too dangerous.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on December 08 2013 at 11:13

eshover
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 08 2013 at 11:20 | IP Logged Quote eshover

Doubt that all that work in necessary. I've had to open my
panel a few times in the 11 years I've owned Southern
Charm. I simply unplug the boat, disconnect the inverter
(I have one) and plug an extension cord/drop light into an
outlet on the dock. I purchased a portable ground fault
detector from a local hardware store and plug it in-line with
the extension cord just to be safe.

Open the panel and take care of business. As I said; after
the incident regarding a short at my panel, I discovered at
least 3 to 4 lugs that required tightening.

Dropping the house was my attempt at being cute.
However Pete, earthquakes are rare in our area, but they
darned sure happen. Hence, the scaffolding surrounding
The Washington Monument!   I was standing on a dock
discussing a survey with an buyer when that latest one hit
in Virginia. I was all the way down at Deltaville VA!! It
caused people to coming running out of the office building
and out of boats, down the docks, out of the shops! We all
thought a bomb had dropped somewhere! Don't want to
many of those. California can keep them!

Emory

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: December 08 2013 at 12:14 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Emory,

Yes, an extension cord/drop light will work for short inspections and minor adjustments. But if you are going to do any major work a more complete solution is desirable. I've been planning an inverter system for several years and installing the new AC panel for it will probably be a project which will take a couple days.

The major point to be made is don't do anything to the AC panel while the boat is connected to shore power, a generator or an inverter.

Yes, all it takes is one earthquake to make one a believer in the power of earthquakes.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on December 08 2013 at 12:30

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: December 16 2013 at 13:13 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

Well it's been pretty quiet on this forum. I made the last post on December 8th and no one else has posted since.

I just finished my most unpleasant job of the year; Winterizing. It took about 10 hours which was spread out over three days to finish the job. The job varies from about 8 hours on years when I don't replace the antifreeze and oil to almost 12 when I do.

But activity on the boat hasn't finished yet. Winter is the season when I do all the big fix up jobs I don't have time for in the summer.

I learned one thing this year while winterizing. It was unusually cold in MD last week with temps down to 14F. I had a couple of 1000 watt oil filled radiators running that I use while winterizing to keep the boat warm. But at 14F they just wouldn't hack it. So I draped a blanket over the companionway between the lower and upper salon.. I also closed the door to the forward cabin. That way the heat was confined to the lower salon and galley. The temp in the lower salon got up to 65F even with the hatches to the engine room open. This made winterizing the engines much more comfortable.

Since I'll be working on the boat a lot this winter I'm going to make a moveable plywood lid for the companionway. This should work much better than the draped blanket.

I can hear Pat and Donna of "Pat's 2nd Connie" chuckling already and congratulating themselves for being in Florida.

But Arlene and I will be there too (in Ft. Lauderdale) for five weeks starting in February. We may even take a cruise in the sixth week.

Hope all you guys have a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year.

And try to make more posts.

Pete37

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 16 2013 at 20:05 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Merry x-mas to you also Pete.

Miss Donna and I are still in Florabama. I went to change the genny oil
yesterday until the pump switch quit. I bi-passed that and discovered
the pump was leaking at the shaft seal.   Already bought the
switch(polarity reversing) and have ordered the pump service kit from
Groco.
I have considered making some sort of drapery cover to separate the
companionway to maintain AC or heat.

By the way, we are not chuckling too hard, as it got down to 34last
night and we are going back to Chicago on Wednesday.

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: December 16 2013 at 22:46 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Pat and Donna,

Hope you haven't chucked all your winter clothing yet if you're going back to Chicago. I hear it's really cold there. Compared to Chicago, Maryland is the warm south. Hope your trip to Chicago is short and that you get back to the warm south soon.

When my Groco oil exchange pump went bad last year I also tried to fix it with a parts kit from Groco. They were quite cooperative and made a sincere attempt to fix it.

But it didn't work and I eventually had to buy a complete new oil exchange pump system from another manufacturer at a cost of about $300. Good luck though, you might have better results than I had.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on December 16 2013 at 22:48

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 17 2013 at 07:38 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Ouch!

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 17 2013 at 08:52 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

I am curious Pete, what was wrong with your pump before and after
you rebuilt it?
Patrick

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: December 17 2013 at 12:19 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Pat and Donna,

Subject: Oil Exchange Pump Repair

I replaced my oil exchange pump last April. It was a Groco SP Series Vane Pump and came as original equipment on my Connie. In late March as I was dewinterizing the engines the pump just shut down entirely and burned out the fuse. I replaced the fuse but it burned out again. I then took the pump apart and found that the insulation on the wire leading to the reversing switch had failed and shorted out to the case. I replaced the wire and reassembled the pump.

Now it worked but the flow of oil was very anemic. So I replaced the rotor, vanes and cover and reassembled the pump. It worked but the oil flow was still very anemic.

At this point I took the pump to Grocoís plant near Baltimore and had the factory technician rebuild the pump. When he finished he said the pump was working up to spec. Took it back to the boat and reinstalled it but the flow was still very anemic.

After a lot of messing with the pump I concluded that the problem was not necessarily the pump but could be leaks in the plumbing leading up to the pump. The pump inlet and outlet both have garden hose type fittings and while they may work well with garden hoses they donít seal well enough for a diesel oil exchange pump. The seals are rubber washers. Over the years Iíve had a lot of intermittent problems with the pump which seemed to be cured by tightening the fittings but then reoccurred. I think the seals were failing. The mounting of the pump and also the hoses leading to it were also sort or rube-goldbergish and I could never seem to get everything fastened down securely.

I decided a new more reliable pump was needed. I replaced it with a Jabsco Model 17820 Oil Exchange System (shown below) which has all the components securely fastened to its baseplate. It also has shutoff switches for all three outlets. They are very convenient when changing oil. It also has a cover/box which encloses most of the components.

While the new pump works great, it hurt a lot. The price was $382. Since you already have the Groco pump Iím sure you will want to try to repair it. And while you may have some success, Iím also sure you will eventually replace it. Oil leaks are very messy and once the oil gets into the bilge itís distributed throughout the entire boat and leaves it with an annoying oily smell.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas, a Happy New Year and success in fixing your pump,

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on December 17 2013 at 13:01

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 17 2013 at 12:52 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Hey Pete,
Sounds like you had many perilous issues. Mine was working fine,
minor oil coming out of shaft seal before but always reliable with no
other leaks. The switch quit working plus the oil leak is very bad but
the motor runs and stil pumps.   I will get it a shot after the holidays.

On a brighter note, since I finished the galley I was working on and it's
65 degrees. We will run the ladies this afternoon.

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: December 17 2013 at 13:15 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Pat,

Well, if your only problem is a bad shaft seal you should try replacing the shaft seal which is part #69089. This may be part of the pump Service Kit you have on order.

If the Service Kit includes new vanes and a new rotor they should obviously be replaced too.

I'm curious. In one sentence you say you have a minor oil leak but in the next sentence you say it is a very bad leak. Which is it?

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on December 17 2013 at 13:23

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 17 2013 at 14:49 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

According to the groco tech, the seal # is 031-075-08 which comes in
the P1 master service kit.
Like I said, I am not messing with it till post holidays.

Merry Christmas.

Pat & Miss Donna.

]
] ]
150 Pages « 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version