View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Murray Chris Craft Constellations Post ReplyPost New Topic
150 Pages « 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Delaware Jim
"Navigator"

Posted: January 06 2008 at 21:34 | IP Logged Quote Delaware Jim

Pete,

I read and re-read your post about the props and believe you are 100% on target.  I have also read Dave Gerr's book from stem to stern and worked through all the formulas and examples there.  I also had the pleasure to meet and talk to Dave at the Annapolis show 2 years ago.  His "bottom line" comment was "if the props are about right on WOT" (our discussion was about 200 RPM on  gas engines over 4000 rpm), then "leave 'em alone".  Your discussion on diesel is very consistent with my discussion with Dave - so long as you can get to the recommended WOT (which says the engines are not overloaded), leave things alone.  In these instances, only the prop guy is the winner.

Having said that, and along with the ongoing soot issues, my recent (last weekend of October) trip to Baltimore found I could not get on plane and engines would not run over 1500 rpm without heating up.  The 48 mile trip resulted in a heavy soot problem, which did not occur in my entire 1100 mile journey from Florida in July.  In late November,divers confirmed heavy growth on the props and gear after only 4 months in the (normally) fresh water of the Sassafras River.  The conclusion is having the engines overloaded from the dirty gear (which would be similar to overloading due to too much pitch or diameter) contributes to the soot issue dramatically.  Mine are now reasonably clean and I will try it again as soon as the weather breaks.

Emory, I found the bypass valves in the DD shop manual, and I am also planning on inspection/cleaning/replace as needed this spring.  I also agree the air filters could be a problem as well - mine also need cleaning/re-oiling in the spring.  ANYTHING the disturbs the air/fuel ratio and the correct delivery to the cylinder for combustion can contrintue to the soot issues.

Delaware Jim 

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: January 06 2008 at 21:48 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

Jim et al - We definitely need to keep each other posted on the soot issue as we move along.  What works or shows improvement, yada, yada, yada.  At least I don't feel alone out here anymore!  HA!

Marine Survey - Yacht Delivery
www.easternmarineservices.com
Back to Top Printable version View Banjoman's Profile Search for other posts by Banjoman

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 06 2008 at 22:59 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Jim,

Yeah, the symptoms you describe are classic fouled prop symptoms.  The moment you described them I said to myself "fouled props!" even before you mentioned the divers.  I had the same problems last spring.

You mentioned that Dave Gerr echoed my comment that if the props are somewhere near right leave them alone.  Yet in just the last two days I've heard at least 3 guys on this forum getting ready to beat the hell out of props that have already been repitched several times.  They just can't get it through their heads that props are rarely the problem (unless they're dirty).  Oh well, it keeps the prop benders off the unemployment lines so at least some good is done.

If you're wondering about your air filters, take them off and do a short run to see if it makes any difference.  A few minutes without air filters won't do any damage.  I clean them by dunking the filter in a bucket of hot water and detergent.  Then I hose them off with clean water and let them dry.  If you do this gently you can clean them 3 or 4 times without any damage.  There's usually a hell of a lot of crud in the filters.

Pete37

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: January 07 2008 at 10:26 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Banjoman,

As a mentioned earlier Tom Hug replaced my injectors, did a tune up and later replaced all hoses, cleaned the turbos, installed stainless risers, etc.(due to one of the old risers coming apart and causing a major engine room soot mess; as discussed here before replace your exhaust risers if that hasn't  been done!!!!). The point here is I imagine Tom must have checked the turo bypass valves. However I intend to check them out in the spring.

I had the boat bottom checked, cleaned and painted late last spring. The bottom was pretty clean especially considering it was over due to be done. Delaware Jim said he had soot on the transom for the first time and had bottom growth. I know it was one of the worse summers in years for bottom and running gear growth build up.  A lot of boats on the Sassafras River had problems. At the begining of the summer I sealed my swim platform slots with tape and had no soot on the transom after quite a few days of traveling. I thought I had eleminated the station wagon effcect. After a few cruises the soot started again even with the tape  (there was a fair amount of down time in the slip between the runs). I did not use the tape after that. Also the soot became worse with each use. With Jim having  soot I wonder if indeed the tape originally worked and the unusual bottom growth year was to blame. Of course I will have the bottom cleaned in the spring and try the tape again. If that works I will find a better system to cover (and be able to uncover) the swim platform slots.

Who are you using in the spring to go over your engines?

Dave

Dave

Back to Top Printable version View David Ross's Profile Search for other posts by David Ross

Ken27
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 07 2008 at 15:48 | IP Logged Quote Ken27

Hello Corey,

I believe it was you asking about the knobs for the upper bunk in the mid stateroom and for the closet doors in the master.  Try   http://www.web4wise.com/seacure/   They have a lot of the original parts for our boats.  It's mainly a Uniflite site but I've used them quite a bit in my restoration project.  If you can't find what you're looking for on the site give them a call or send an e-mail.  They can't list everything on their site.  Good luck.

Pete, Good luck with your renovation project of the mid stateroom.  I'm just amazed by all the very creative suggestions and ideas everyone, including you, have come up with.  Initially I was going to throw in my two cents worth, but after reading all the great ideas everyone has had, I figured I wouldn't be able to offer anything more.

A belated Happy New Year to everyone, and remember I'm always here but usually silent,

Ken

Fantasy
"Navigator"

Posted: January 07 2008 at 16:41 | IP Logged Quote Fantasy

Pete brought up the topic of storage cabinets and I thought I would share one of my favorites with everyone.  This is one of the lower salon cabinets where I've permanently installed a roller bearing 5 drawer tool chest.  It is a Craftsman unit with the hinged top lid cut off. That top shelf serves as a catch-all, as you can see.  It fit nearly perfectly and is trimmed out with aluminum flat stock.  I had previously stored a portable tool box in that cabinet but this unit stores much more and is organized by tool type (e.g. all the sockets in one drawer, wrenches in another) for easy access.  I also added a strip light that turns on when the cabinet is opened.

John

Edited by Fantasy on January 07 2008 at 16:58

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: January 07 2008 at 18:04 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

John - what an great idea!  I think I'll steal it from you!  Is that on the starboard side of your 460? or the port side?  I currently have a full-sized television installed in a similar cabinet on the port side of my 500 (lower saloon) and am thinking of installing a flat monitor type televsion on a bracket in another location.  That will free up that space.  I had to lose the shelves and cut out the back side of the cabinet when I installed the TV.  Rather than rebuild the lost shelves, etc., I will simply install a square of 1/4" plywood to repair the cut-out I had to make for the TV and insert the tool box.   I love the idea!  If you would, please post the dimensions or model number of the tool box.  Thanks.

Back to Top Printable version View Banjoman's Profile Search for other posts by Banjoman

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 07 2008 at 18:29 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Guys,

For some unknown reason messages are being posted in 80 column width and dont show up properly.  I'm hoping that's a transient problem that will go away quickly.

John: I like the toolbox idea but I recognize that cabinet as being the first cabinet forward of the couch on the starboard side of the boat.  As you are probably aware the starboard side of the boat is traditionally reserved for the Admiral and as a mere Captain I may have trouble getting Arlene to relinquish that spot.  However, she's constantly complaining about that ugly toolbox on the salon floor so there may be some hope.

Ken: Good to hear from you again.

Pete37

Ken27
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 07 2008 at 20:10 | IP Logged Quote Ken27

John,

That is exactly where we keep our main tool box and I'm tired of hauling it in and out of the cabinet.  And like Pete's situation, my wife also is tired of it sitting on the salon floor.  What a great idea!  Along with Banjoman, I too would like to know the model number and dimensions of the chest.

Thanks,

Ken

Pete, you've always said the Connies have about a one degree list to port, right?  I've never detected it on the "Good Life" however, with the new chest, it gives me an excuse to go out and buy more tools with the excuse of offsetting the list.Wink

Fantasy
"Navigator"

Posted: January 07 2008 at 20:22 | IP Logged Quote Fantasy

Emory,

I don't have a model number for the drawer unit but the dimensions are approximately 26" wide, 12" deep and 18" high without the hinged lid.  I cut off the lid hinge with a hand grinder.  I think I remember that the unit was intended sit on top of a wheeled floor unit, like a hutch.  It is on the starboard side where I believe the 500 has two cabinets (the 460 has only one).  You are one step ahead of me, I had to remove the middle shelf to make it work.

Pete,

I feel your pain.  Since I claimed the starboard cabinet early in the game, it was only a modification and improvement to my own space.  However, when the new tool box idea was in the planning stages, I started by taking measurements of the admiral's port side sewing cabinet.  From there it was an easy compromise to permit me to install it in the salon instead of the bilge.  A man does what a man's got to do.

John

PS the extended page margins are entirely my fault.  I had to reduce the photo size for uploading but the original margin dimensions stayed intact.  Should change when we turn the next page.

Fantasy
"Navigator"

Posted: January 07 2008 at 20:41 | IP Logged Quote Fantasy

Hi Ken,

I don't know if the cabinet dimensions are the same on the 500 but this has really worked well for me.

BTW, I have always had a slight list to starboard (even before the tool box:-) and I haven't seen a pattern in the way any of the Connies list, or don't.  I've wondered if the difference has to do with how the fiberglass was layed up.

John

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: January 10 2008 at 15:05 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Hi Pete,

I saw a 501 Chris on Yacht World (YW# 2747-1632070) that stated it was originally owned by F. Lee Bailey. The name is Beluga and is listed as a 1988 in the heading but as a 1987 in the specs. I wonder if you have any info if Bailey did indeed own this boat at the same time he owned mine.

Dave

Back to Top Printable version View David Ross's Profile Search for other posts by David Ross

Delaware Jim
"Navigator"

Posted: January 10 2008 at 17:15 | IP Logged Quote Delaware Jim

Dave,

I saw the same item and wondered the same thing... do you have any tangible evidence that Baily owned your boat?  If so, I think the other guy might be either "fibbin" or just mis-informed.

Jim

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 10 2008 at 18:11 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Dave,

Sorry, I don't have any data on that.  The only way to find out would be to go to the documentation records. I've tried to look up "Beluga" on the documentation records but haven't been able to find it.  Very strange!

Pete37

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: January 10 2008 at 20:42 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Jim and Pete,

Yes Jim, Bailey's name appears on the documentation records. Woody Jackson of Jackson Marine in North East, MD sold the boat for Bailey. Woody gave me some info and was very helpful. I also found a ham radio license on board with Bailey's name on it.

Pete, I called the broker a few month's ago and was told the owner of the 501 gave them the information that Bailey was the original owner but would check into it further and call me back. They never did get back to me. I have names and phone numbers of who I spoke to and should call them back.

Dave

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: January 12 2008 at 17:06 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Pete and Jim,

I did call the broker back  the other day on Beluga the 501 Chris and was told there were papers somewhere that were signed by a F. Lee Bailey selling the boat to the current owner. Since the ad states it is a three owner boat, Bailey would then have to been the second owner. The ad says Bailey was the original owner, so there is confusion. The broker said maybe Bailey was signing as the owner of a company he owned or possibly there is another F. Lee Bailey (???) but seemed interested in having their facts correct and was going to check again with the current owner. I believe the serial # is CNYJ129J788. I may have the current owners name, city and state somewhere. I also mentioned that their ad heading stated it was a 1988 and in the specs a 1987, which they said would also be checked into and corrected.

\Dave

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 12 2008 at 20:21 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Dave,

My records show that there was a hull #129 built in October of 1987.  It would be a 1988 model.  But so far I have not been able to find any documentation records for a 501 named BELUGA.  It is possible that the boat is undocumented but that seems very unlikely.

Pete37

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: January 13 2008 at 14:37 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Pete,

I agree one would think most if not all the Chris's would be documented. Chatting about the 501, do you know if that series has a soot problem or just the 500's?

Dave

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 13 2008 at 15:18 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Dave,

No I don't have any info on 501 sooting but I would be very surprised if they didn't since they have the same engines.

Pete37

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: January 13 2008 at 15:54 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Hi Banjoman and anyone else interested, (this is a repeat of my Jan. 7 post due to a site print problem which may have made it  hard to read fluently);

As mentioned earlier Tom Hug replaced my injectors, did a tune up and later replaced all hoses, cleaned the turbos, installed stainless risers, etc. (because one of the old risers came apart causing a major engine room soot mess; as discussed in the forum before replace your exhaust risers if that hasn't been done!!!!). The point here is I imagine Tom must have checked the turbo by-pass valves. However I will check them out in the spring.

I had the boat bootom checked, cleaned and painted late last spring. The bottom was pretty clean especially considering it was over due to be done. Delaware Jim said he had a transom soot problem for the first time and discovered his boat had a lot of bottom growth. I know it was one of the worse summers in years for bottom and running gear growth build up. A lot of boats on the Sassaras River had poblems. At the begining of the summer I sealed my swim platform slots with tape and no soot on the transom after quite a few days of traveling. I thought I had eliminated the staion wagon effect. After a few cruises the soot started again  even with the tape (there was a fair amount of time between runs...growth build up?). I did not use the tape after that. Also the soot became worse with each use. With Jim now having the soot I wonder if indeed the tape originally worked and the unusual bottom growth year was to blame. Of course I will have the bottom checked in the spring and try the tape again. If that works I will find a better system to cover (and uncover) the swim platform slots.

Banjoman, You mentioned you are having your engines gone over in the spring. Who are you going to use?

Dave

Delaware Jim
"Navigator"

Posted: January 14 2008 at 10:45 | IP Logged Quote Delaware Jim

Dave, et.al.,

I think I remember reading that F Lee Bailey was a co-owner or had some sort of partnership arrangement in Murray Chris Craft in that time frame (probably why he owned yours, Dave)... I wonder if Bailey was simply executing a bill of sale or other legal document as an executive of Murray Chris Craft.  That might make some sense of the apparent confusion.

Just a thought.

Jim

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: January 14 2008 at 16:49 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Jim,

From what I read Bailey did own 5% of Chris and as you say may had some sort of arrangement in selling various boats. However he did actually own my boat for a few years. I ran into a captain who knew this boat and Bailey's captain. I also spoke to Woody Jackson, of Jackson Marine, who knows Bailey (he gave me Bailey's phone number and said to call and tell him hello from Woody). Woody sold the boat for Bailey. When Bailey owned my boat it's name was "Amazing Grace". I was told itwas named after his mother.

Dave

Monopoly1954
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 23 2008 at 16:01 | IP Logged Quote Monopoly1954

Hi Pete,

I have a road trip in the middle of next month. I was wondering if you were going to be in town? I  would like to stop in and say hello. If you know what your plans are I can work around my travel plans. If a group of owners are around it would be nice to meet and go out for dinner.

Corey

1986 Chriscraft 500
Back to Top Printable version View Monopoly1954's Profile Search for other posts by Monopoly1954

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 23 2008 at 19:57 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Corey,

Sorry, we will be going to FL for most of Feb.  Is your road trip taking you there?  But some of the other guys in Annapolis should certainly be around.  Make a post to all the guys in the Annapolis area.  You should get some responses.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on January 23 2008 at 20:00

Delaware Jim
"Navigator"

Posted: January 23 2008 at 20:43 | IP Logged Quote Delaware Jim

Hi Corey,

We are in the Inner Harbor and think it would be neat to try a get together.  Maybe we can use this as an "excuse" to convene the second meeting of the social club?  Any other takers?

Jim

Monopoly1954
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 23 2008 at 20:57 | IP Logged Quote Monopoly1954

Hi Guys,

I need to be in N.C. for Feb 14,15,16 and 17. I can stop on the way or on the way back. I was going to Fl but the boat I liked was sold. Oh well they have others.

Corey

1986 Chriscraft 500
Back to Top Printable version View Monopoly1954's Profile Search for other posts by Monopoly1954

TStellato
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 24 2008 at 23:58 | IP Logged Quote TStellato

Tony is in FL for the winter.  I am going down Feb 13-24.  Other than that schedule is open for a glass of wine lol.

Emory, boat still floating.  Looked at it the other day, while I ate crabs at Cantler's.  Even in the winter they still have the best crabs in town!

Is winter almost over?????  Wish I was Tony!

Vicki

Back to Top Printable version View TStellato's Profile Search for other posts by TStellato

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: January 25 2008 at 08:30 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

Vici - thanks for keeping an eye out for the ol' girl.  Glad she's still on top of the water.  Gotta' get by there soon.  Wouldn't mind being in Tony's area either!!  Call me when winter is over

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 25 2008 at 10:22 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

Arlene and I will be in Florida too for all of Feb.  Why don't we have a Winter meeting of Connie owners in Florida?

Pete37

Fantasy
"Navigator"

Posted: January 25 2008 at 10:26 | IP Logged Quote Fantasy

Hi Pete,

I'm in Ft. Pierce until mid March (except for a few days in late Feb.).  Let me know if you or others, are near.

John

Capt.Wayne
"Seaman"

Posted: January 26 2008 at 17:39 | IP Logged Quote Capt.Wayne

Hi Pete

I've just cruised to Marathon Yacht Club from Isle of Capri, FL plan on staying  in the Keys for a while, the weather is great, 75 today. Let me know when and where in FL I'll try to be there.

Capt Wayne

Back to Top Printable version View Capt.Wayne's Profile Search for other posts by Capt.Wayne

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: January 28 2008 at 08:17 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Capt.Wayne,Let me know when you get back to Capri,I'm a cc catalina guy in old marco,(boatman66) I would love to see your connie,if that is possible.My cell is 239 269 0193 Thanks and have fun in the keys. 

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: January 30 2008 at 07:20 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

CAPT.WAYNE Thanks for the return call,look forward to your return,and at your convience.peter

Ken27
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 31 2008 at 14:01 | IP Logged Quote Ken27

Hi Pete,

I was wondering if you've received the info we talked about?

Just to update you and everyone else.  The "Good Life" will be moving inside this week or next for fabrication and installation of the radar arch.  While inside we'll be applying all new bottom paint which was blasted off a few weeks ago.  We will also install a new bridge venturi, replace the bimini which was lost in a storm last season, do some gel repair, and other outside cosmetic work.

It'll be good to get back on board, even if inside a building.  It's been an unusually cold winter, even for MN.

Ken

Monopoly1954
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 31 2008 at 14:42 | IP Logged Quote Monopoly1954

Hello to All,

I think I have a major problem with the water tank. It appears to be leaking. I can not get to the leak.

I have one of the boats with a bathtub. It appears the tank goes from the bulkhead against the engine compartment back 8-9 feet. This is under the tub and the bunk and the inside wall of hte third state room.

Please tell me the wall, the bunk, the flooring, the closet, the tub, do not all have to come out.

I suspect you could put in a bladder but as a live a board, the water level is a nice thing to have.

If anyone has any experience with this subject, I would love to get ahead of the curve with your experience. I suspect a new water tank would be the cheapest part of this  job.

Corey Finkelstein

1986 Chriscraft 500

Furman1
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 31 2008 at 15:39 | IP Logged Quote Furman1

Dear Monopoly  1954,

Been there done that, last year.  I considered a bladder also but could not figure a way to keep it from moving around and if it did would it rupture.  It's really not all that bad (cost wise) if you can do most of the work yourself.  You're right the tank starts at the bulkhead to the engine compartment and goes to about one foot from the forward end of the master stateroom bed. (about 10 ft if I remember)  The hardest part is getting the old tank out.  I assume that you have the standard setup  for the den/stateroom with the built in couch.

This is what I had to do. The couch is fairly easy to take apart, infact I took the hinged lid and the padded front panel off. I then took off as much of the front as possible. What you're trying to do is get to the bare floor.

Once you do that, get a skill saw and cut the floor as close as you can to the walls. In the middle of the floor you will find a longetutal stringer. You want to determine the lenght wise center and set your saw to only cut through the plywood floor. At this point you should be able to remove the floor and expose the top of the tank.

Now comes the hard part, getting the old tank out.  I thought about cutting a hole and inserting a bladder...but there are baffels that won't let you do that.  The tank has to come out in 3 sections.  I had to cut a large hole (approx. 24 x24) in the top of the tank with a jig saw. Then take a side grinder and grind through from the inside of the tank so that I wouldn't go into the bildge material.  The first third of the tank comes out easily.  The next part (on my boat) is harder.  I had to pull the tank forward to make the next cut.  The flooring had settled on the tank and I had to use a comealong to break it loose.  After getting all the tank parts out I cleaned up the bildge and ordered the custom made poly tanks replace ment.  Notice I said tanks not tank.  It will have to go back as two tanks instead of one.  Even then my tanks capacity is only 110 gallons.  This is why I developed and am patenting WaterCounter. You can see it at www.watercounter.com ....sorry for the commercial.

I cut a side view of the tank I was to order (I'll fax you the shape if you like) and ordered it as long as I could get into the room.  I put a block of treated plywood about 4 inches thick on the aft end to create a stop block to keep the tanks from sliding aft while the boat is on plane and foamed the forward end and sides to lock it place.  BTW I cut an access panel in the master stateroom at the end of the bed.

I then connected the two tanks together with 2 inch hose and vented the aft tank, put all the flooring back and recarpeted the areas.

I did not have to touch any walls, tub or doorways.

Cost me around $2,000.00 total since I did the work myself

If I had hired it done I would guess $12,000.00 to $15,000.00

If you decide to do this, I'll give you my phone # and talk you through it as you go.

Furman

Furman
Back to Top Printable version View Furman1's Profile Search for other posts by Furman1

Furman1
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 31 2008 at 15:41 | IP Logged Quote Furman1

BTW to check it is leaking put food coloring in the tank and see if it ends up in the bildge.

Furman

Furman
Back to Top Printable version View Furman1's Profile Search for other posts by Furman1

Monopoly1954
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 31 2008 at 19:42 | IP Logged Quote Monopoly1954

Hi Furman,

Thanks for the information. I hate to lose 50 gallons. In the winter I fill up each week. I watch my usage but still it uses it up. I have fresh water heads, they made a world of difference.

I tried the McCormick food coloring (RED). I wanted to see if it was from a line or the tank. I pressured tested the lines after the water pump filled with red food coloring for 6 hours. No Loss of pressure and no red. 

I have water on the outboard  side of the water tank. I have installed some red food coloring 3 days later and the boat appears to be bleeding, or is that my money belt....LOL.

I have heard of smaller connected tanks as replacements, I thought it would take three tanks, 3 three footers.

Did you have your tanks custom made?

I was thinking of adding some capacity with 2 additional tanks. I think it will be an easy install outboard of the engines where the electra sans sat. It appears a tank that is 18 X 24 X 24 might fit. This would be an additional 9 cubic feet of water. This converts to about  67.5 gallons of water. I think it would be easy to plumb the two tanks to feed the main tank.

This might have to be a summer project. I do not want to tear the boat apart while I am using tank water.

Thanks for hte help

Corey

1986 Chriscraft 500

Delaware Jim
"Navigator"

Posted: January 31 2008 at 19:59 | IP Logged Quote Delaware Jim

Corey, Furman et. al.,

I also have a "holy" water tank as well.  it loses all the water within 4 days.  The prior owner installed a pair of aluminum tanks under the galley (access through the small galley hatch).  We are also live aboards and and the two of us can go about a week in this cold weather. 

From a "timing" issue, you may want to consider installing a couple of forward tanks which will allow you to have water while doing the surgery to R&R the aft tank.

Furman,  Thanks for your detailed description of the replacement.  I had kinda figured out the process, but am glad the process is consistent with what I thought.  Were the plastic tanks installed a custom size, or did you use stock sizes?  If so, what is the size of each?

Delaware Jim

Furman1
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 31 2008 at 20:43 | IP Logged Quote Furman1

They were custom about $700 each.  Probally the best place to add bladder tankage is under the couch in the den/office.  I considered it but am going to add a tank between the engines should be able to get about 140gals there.

Furman

]
] ]
150 Pages « 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version