View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Murray Chris Craft Constellations Post ReplyPost New Topic
150 Pages « 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: November 20 2007 at 17:37 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

To all,

My air condtioning units all work ok so far with the exception of when I put the master stateroom unit on in the heat mode. I do not get any warm air from it. The air conditoning cools it down great but no heat. The other units work fine for ac or heat. Any ideas of what is wrong?

Dave

Back to Top Printable version View David Ross's Profile Search for other posts by David Ross

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 20 2007 at 17:43 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Dave,

What kind of A/C unit do you have?  Is it a Marine Air?  My Marine Air manual might have some info.

Pete37

Fantasy
"Navigator"

Posted: November 20 2007 at 17:44 | IP Logged Quote Fantasy

Hi Tony and Vicki,

When I bought my boat in 2000, a former owner had already replaced the H/W heater with a 20 gal. household unit.  He had the same height problem that Dave describes.  His solution was to trim the beam in the starboard generator room ceiling that prevents the newer heaters from fitting.  I replaced that heater a year or two ago and needed to trim just a fraction more from the beam.  (I think the manufacturers are adding more insulation, making the unit bigger.)  Lowe's had the unit at around $200.

John

Fantasy
"Navigator"

Posted: November 20 2007 at 17:58 | IP Logged Quote Fantasy

Dave,

I assume it's been a while since you put the A/C on and I wonder if you are still getting good water flow to that unit.  Has it always been a problem? The way the barnacles were this year, I wouldn't be surprised if there was an obstruction.

I had a problem with my upper salon unit this summer.  Something was restricting the intake and that unit was starving for water (the longest, highest run).

John

Delaware Jim
"Navigator"

Posted: November 20 2007 at 20:25 | IP Logged Quote Delaware Jim

Pete,

Understand the issues around the get together.  No problem - let's try again after Jan 1.

Found the reversing valve is stuck on the under helm AC/heater in the upper salon as well.  This unit was replaced about 1998 and is new enough not to worry about other parts failing. 

Thanks to all about the idea of reconditioned units and thoughts.  Most appreciated.  Don't know what the final resolution will be, but it WILL be interesting!

More later.

Delaware Jim

DMark
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 20 2007 at 23:30 | IP Logged Quote DMark

Ken,

If you don't get a high confidence reply to the question of radar arch location and fit on an '85 versus '86, we may be able to solve the problem with measurements and photographs.  If it comes to this I am willing to work on drawings and photographs from this end.

Best,
Mark

Back to Top Printable version View DMark's Profile Search for other posts by DMark

DMark
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 21 2007 at 05:31 | IP Logged Quote DMark

Ken,

Just looked at YachtWorld.com to try to get a fix on your question.  I arranged YachtWorld's 50 Connies by year and examined your question.  It looks very much like the arch is at about the front 1/3 line on the fly bridge on the 1986 models and more toward the aft 1/3 on the 1985 models. So, to my eye, there appears to be a consistent difference.

My 1986 Connie.  This appears to be the consistent location across the 86' versions.

Example 1985 Connie - This appears to be consistent across the design for those 85 models that have arches.

A thought might be to send these pictures to Washington Marine and pose the question about the location difference.   Again, in brainstorming to help your situation, we might try to solve the problem with drawings, pictures and measurements.  Glad to help you brainstorm and try options to work out a solution.

Just some thoughts.  Let me know.

Best, Mark

Edited by DMark on November 21 2007 at 05:36

Back to Top Printable version View DMark's Profile Search for other posts by DMark

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: November 21 2007 at 08:49 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Hi John and Pete,

Pete, I do have Marine Air units. John, the heat function in the master stateroom unit has never worked since I have had the boat. The air conditioning function has always worked well. The purchasing survey did not pick up the non heating and I did not discover this until much later. We used electric heat in the master the few times it was needed, so this fix was not high on the to do list. The five hull outlets have full flow and all the other units worked well all season including until I winterized the system last week. If there was an obstruction in the intake I would think it would affect the ac in the master as well and all the other units. From the pump off the sea strainer the water flows into a five way connector (it does not have any shut off valves) that sends the water to each unit.

Pete, I agree that your proposed get together is best set for another time later in the year. Thanks for trying to put it together.

Dave

Back to Top Printable version View David Ross's Profile Search for other posts by David Ross

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: November 21 2007 at 09:01 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Pete and all,

Pete,

Regarding the proposed get together obviously I meant it would be best to get together later in the new year.

To all,  

Have a Happy Thansgiving!

Dave 

Furman1
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 21 2007 at 09:06 | IP Logged Quote Furman1

When I replaced all of my AC saltwater lines, replace the AC manafole and added cut offs for each line. That way if a unit or line started leaking I could cut it off the system and still have AC.  It also allowed me to blance the water flow by restricting it on the lower units slightly and giving more flow to the upper units. You would not believe the amount of growth in the AC water lines when I took them out.

Furman
Back to Top Printable version View Furman1's Profile Search for other posts by Furman1

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 21 2007 at 09:32 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Ken,

Yes there is a difference in the construction of the 1985 and 1986 flybridges.  On the 1985's the radar arch is placed further aft as pointed out by Mark.  This is true of all 85s as far as I know.  It's the way I normally identify an 85 Connie.  I think the change was made at the start of the 1986 model year.  There is no guarantee that the arches are the same. 

There are other differences also.  The wind dodgers on the 85s are molded fiberglass while the 86 models use flat panels of some type of plastic board.  And of course the instrument console is different on many 85s.  Perhaps Mark can give you some measurements which will either confirm the arches are different or indicate that they may be the same.  If it is the latter further detailed measurements may be in order.

Pete37

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 21 2007 at 10:08 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

Subj: Air Conditioner Water Lines

It's not necessary to take your boat apart to determine if the A/C water lines are in good shape.  All A/C units are fed by one pump through a plastic manifold on the ceiling of the generator compartment.  When you turn on any A/C unit the pump starts and feeds all A/C units regardless of whether they are on or not. 

When you turn on an A/C unit you will note that there is water coming out of five plastic thru-hulls on the starboard boot stripe.  Each thru-hull is the exhaust from one of your A/C units.  There should be a good steady stream of water coming from each thru-hull.  If not, you probably have a restriction in one of the lines.  Make a note of which thru-hulls are producing water, how much and where they are for future reference.

Jim:

The compressor units for our A/Cs are sealed units and as far as I know they are never rebuilt or refurbished.  They are simply replaced with new units.  And other than a fan, a few valves and some switches the compressor is the only part of the A/C that has moving parts.  So when you replace the compressor you have close to a new A/C unit.

The same thing is true of refrigerators and icemakers.  If the box and icemaker mechanism are in good shape a new compressor will give many additional years of continued good service.  In the case of a refrigerator it avoids the difficulties of removing the old refrigerator and replacing it with a new one. And, of course, it is much less expensive.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on November 21 2007 at 10:12

Ken27
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 21 2007 at 12:59 | IP Logged Quote Ken27

Mark and Pete,

Thanks for the input and advice.  As we get deaper into the project I will call on you if we have any problems or questions.

Ken

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: November 21 2007 at 13:04 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

Dave - (Good Spirits) - I have experience the heat problem you have more than once.  We normally use our A/C's during the summer and when we go to heat the reversing valve/switch will stick and won't allow any heat.  Do you have analog controls (knobs) or digital?  This year I had to "rock" my unit back and forth between heat and air before the heat will remain constant.  My aft unit is acting up as well.  There is also a possibility that if you have analog controls the temperature control is not operating properly in heat mode.  If you can find an A/C guy you trust, have him check out your aft unit reversing valve.  If it's cooling well, it should heat well.

BTW - if you surveyor surveyed the boat in hot weather, he may not have been able to get the unit to switch over to the heat cycle.  The thermostat will only go so high or so low.  This is a common issue with surveyors whether surveying in hot temps or cold temps.  I always put a disclaimer in my reports that states the reason for not testing on heat (or cool).

Marine Survey - Yacht Delivery
www.easternmarineservices.com
Back to Top Printable version View Banjoman's Profile Search for other posts by Banjoman

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: November 21 2007 at 20:46 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Banjoman,

Thanks Emory for the info. The units have the control knobs. This is something else I will have to look into when I commission the boat in the spring.

Dave

Delaware Jim
"Navigator"

Posted: November 22 2007 at 08:15 | IP Logged Quote Delaware Jim

Hi all:

First, HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all!

I found on my prior boat that tapping the reversing valve with the handle of a screwdriver (light weight), the stuck reversing valve on the AC can often be loosened up and begin working properly.  Cycling from AC to heat a few times can sometimes "unstick" it as well as previously noted.

The thought process about my master cabin AC is it is a real bear to get in and out - mine is under the desk to the left of the desk footwell in the small office/stateroom.  If I have to take it out (even to replace the compressor it would likely need to come out...) I only want to "do it once".  A replacement unit would be that "insurance" ...I noted on some other Connies at our October meeting that the AC unit was located in the foot of the closet in the office - that appears to be much more accessable! No decisions yet... I need to do some more homework and checking first.  No real urgency until spring as the water temp is starting to drop fast. Soon it will be too cold for the heat pumps anyway...

I'm completing the engines winterization this weekend and will strike that off my list.  Best wishes to all!

Jim

Delaware Jim
"Navigator"

Posted: November 22 2007 at 10:15 | IP Logged Quote Delaware Jim

Hi All,

Pete previously commented about the fact we might lose this message area if it is discontinued by BoatUS.  I've done some checking and found:

The web site domain "CCConstellation.com" is available (if someone else has any ideas for a domain address, I'm all ears);

We can set up a web site and / or a message board for a cost of $9 per month, with about $50 initial set up costs for the domain name and site set up.

There would be ample storage space to catalog photos, build a web site, have a guest book feature and the like. Having our own site will allow it to be found through Google and other search engines, possibly adding active members.

Would like to survey the forum users now to see if there is any interest in going forward at this small cost (maybe the "user group" could support it at, say $5 a quarter voluntary contribution? All other options are on the table as well)

I'm open to suggestions and ideas.  Marie and I can take the lead as Marie is a web designer...  What say everyone?

Jim

Ken27
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 22 2007 at 11:37 | IP Logged Quote Ken27

Jim,

We're in!

Happy Thanksgiving to all, again,

Ken

Fantasy
"Navigator"

Posted: November 22 2007 at 19:28 | IP Logged Quote Fantasy

Jim,

I would be happy to participate in the cost of that forum.  It would be nice to have our topics posted horizontally and vertically instead of the straight vertical run-on we have here.  It would make it easier for reference by all, especially newcomers. (i.e., the way the main Chris Craft page is organized by topics.)

Re: the office AC unit, I have the same arrangement.  Are you aware that the plywood panels on the front and desk side are removable?  Once they're out of the way, it's not too bad.  If you need a hand next spring, give me a holler.

John

DMark
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 22 2007 at 21:55 | IP Logged Quote DMark

Jim,

I am definitely in.  And a Happy Thenksgiving to all.

Best, Mark

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: November 22 2007 at 22:28 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

Count me in!

Back to Top Printable version View Banjoman's Profile Search for other posts by Banjoman

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 23 2007 at 00:28 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

Yes, I have thought about setting up our own web site.  And in fact I've tried it three times (all unsuccessfully). This is my fourth attempt and the first one that has been successful. 

The first ingredient in making a web site like our present one successful is to have an address list of all the owners of the yachts available.  Fortunately we have one and can use it to build membership.  We need to advertise and the best and cheapest way to do that is to send letters to people we know are owners of Connies.

A second thing that helps is to have a sponsorship by a large and well respected boating organization.  Boat US is an organization of that type.  Having a relationship with Boat US tends to give prospective participants a confidence that our web site is not some sort of rip off scam.

And a third thing is to have a well laid out site.  I've seen a lot of sites and while this one isn't perfect it's better than a lot I've seen.

Frankly the web site software you buy from companies like 1&1 aren't worth the powder to blow them to hell.  You can't expect custom service for $9 a month and you don't get it.  I've read a few books on blogging and web site set up and have learned enough to know that a good independent forum site doesn't come cheap.  If you expect to get a custom built web site with all the bells and whistles figure about $1,000 for set up and a few hundred a year for maintenance. Higher costs are not unusual.  It all depends upon what quality you expect.

A figure of $1,000 gives you about one day's work from a professional (with overhead) to set up the site.  A figure of $240 per year works out to $20 per month which is only small fraction of an hour of a professional's attention.

One problem with web sites is keeping out the trash venders.  These include the advertisers for of all kinds of shady products and simply teen age kids who have nothing better to do with their time than post stupid messages on the site. 

The site must be capable of registering responsible contributors and screening out the spam and trash.  We get this free from Boat US and in over a year on this site I have never seen any spam or irresponsible messages.  On our own site we will certainly want such features built in and will have to pay extra for them.

My suggestion is that we let Jim investigate the costs further and when he gets a solid cost and set of features then, if it seems practical, we should start the second site without any fanfare on a trial basis to see how well it works. 

We need to set up a small group of maybe five to 10 members of this site to get the new site going.  These members will have to be willing to finance the new site with no guarantees that the new site will be successful.

From this point on there should be no further discussion on this site about a new site until we are satisfied that the new site is satisfactory.  We don't want to rock the boat on the present Boat US site which has been very good to us. 

Therefore we should keep in touch by email.  My email is pminott@aol.com.  Email me if you are interested.  On the basis of ten members I think each member who wishes to participate should be willing to contribute $100 to the cause.  This would be distributed over the several months needed to set up the new site.  If it costs less or takes less time to develop don't worry.  You'll get a refund.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on November 23 2007 at 01:06

Fantasy
"Navigator"

Posted: November 23 2007 at 08:14 | IP Logged Quote Fantasy

Pete,

Have you considered asking Boat US to make "Murray Chris Craft" a separate manufacturer on their power boat list?  That would give us a topic home page and increased the functionality tremendously.

John

Monopoly1954
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 23 2007 at 12:10 | IP Logged Quote Monopoly1954

Good Morning to all,

Please count me in. I will pay yearly fees.

This site has saved me time and money time and time again.

Other owners have posted information on where to purshase hard to find parts. After looking for years to find a simple door handle for the aft deck door, a fellow owner posted the information and with in a week and 32.00 later, I got my handle in the mail.

The time savings and money saving ideas from other owners is very inportant.

I think we might be better served to allow some of the vendors who supply our special needs to sponsor our site with links to their sites.

I think we could put our posts into different subjects. In that way if you need information about xxx you can go right to xxx.

If we wanted to get upscale, we could allow owners to post information and pictures about their boats. i. e. for sale

The information about soot, electronics, flooring, ac/heat, generators, heads, and galley, could be helpful to all.

If I can be of any assistance, please call or email me.

I suspect each owner must have a list of 5 or more vendors who might want to be sponsors of the site.

Example:

Boaters World
ABC Electronics
TNT lifts
Chris Parts
Detroit Diesels
Marine Air
Ocean Options

Where so many of our boats have the same equipment by these manufacturers, we might even get special pricing if we wanted to join in to a buying group.

Another part of the web site could be pictures, descriptions and costs of special equipment. If his is shared with other owners it might solve some of the learning curve for others.

I can tell you from experience, I was on Yachctworld.com looking at all of the pictures of other 500ís to help decide on the look of the retrofit. I must have printed 50 to 60 pictures of other vesselís interiors. If we were to do the same on some of the special upgrades, it would be great to see how others have enhanced their boats. i.e. the additional 160 gallon fuel tank, TNT lift, and different electronics.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving

Corey Finkelstein 

1986 Chriscraft 500
Back to Top Printable version View Monopoly1954's Profile Search for other posts by Monopoly1954

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 23 2007 at 12:18 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi John,

That's a great idea!  After all Murray Chris Craft was a separate company. Clap

The only drawback is that MCC built all kinds of boats of all sizes.  So the site wouldn't be as exclusive as you think.  We would still need a separate topic under Murray Chris Craft to define that the topic was only for Connies.  So we wouldn't gain much.Confused

However, if we could get them to classify the Connies built at Swansboro as a separate manufacturer that would be great.  They do have a separate Manufacturer's Identification Code (MIC) so it might be possible.  I'll give it a try.Tongue

Some of the members have grandiose ideas about our own custom built web site but that costs a considerable amount of money.  Corey's idea of opening the flood gates to advertisers is a good way to raise money but it does have drawbacks and I'm not sure that the buying power of 30 to 40 boat owners would wow potential advertisers.Confused

One of the problems with this site is that with over 700 posts made over the period of a year it is hard to look up an old post.  If we could categorize the posts into 10 different topics we could make the search for old posts much easier.Big Smile

In the meantime let's let Jim flesh out his ideas.Smile

Hope you guys all had a great Turkey Day,Tongue

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on November 23 2007 at 12:49

Monopoly1954
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 23 2007 at 12:27 | IP Logged Quote Monopoly1954

Good Morning to all,

Please count me in. I will pay yearly fees.

This site has saved me time and money time and time again.

Other owners have posted information on where to purshase hard to find parts. After looking for years to find a simple door handle for the aft deck door, a fellow owner posted the information and with in a week and 32.00 later, I got my handle in the mail.

The time savings and money saving ideas from other owners is very inportant.

I think we might be better served to allow some of the vendors who supply our special needs to sponsor our site with links to their sites.

I think we could put our posts into different subjects. In that way if you need information about xxx you can go right to xxx.

If we wanted to get upscale, we could allow owners to post information and pictures about their boats. i. e. for sale

The information about soot, electronics, flooring, ac/heat, generators, heads, and galley, could be helpful to all.

If I can be of any assistance, please call or email me.

I suspect each owner must have a list of 5 or more vendors who might want to be sponsors of the site.

Example:

Boaters World
ABC Electronics
TNT lifts
Chris Parts
Detroit Diesels
Marine Air
Ocean Options

Where so many of our boats have the same equipment by these manufacturers, we might even get special pricing if we wanted to join in to a buying group.

Another part of the web site could be pictures, descriptions and costs of special equipment. If his is shared with other owners it might solve some of the learning curve for others.

I can tell you from experience, I was on Yachctworld.com looking at all of the pictures of other 500ís to help decide on the look of the retrofit. I must have printed 50 to 60 pictures of other vesselís interiors. If we were to do the same on some of the special upgrades, it would be great to see how others have enhanced their boats. i.e. the additional 160 gallon fuel tank, TNT lift, and different electronics.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving

Corey Finkelstein 

1986 Chriscraft 500
Back to Top Printable version View Monopoly1954's Profile Search for other posts by Monopoly1954

TStellato
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 23 2007 at 15:05 | IP Logged Quote TStellato

I think that a website would be a great idea.  If Marie is willing to design it and maintain it with all submissions of pictures and info going to her as the webmaster or whoever would be willing to assume that role.  The forum could still stay on BoatUS site and also a forum on the website.  GoDaddy rates are about $100 a year to host the site.  IF Marie is willing to design the site as a "club" donation all the better and that will leave only the actual site costs.

Pete you had talked about a burgee design.  Things like that could be sold through the site.  Egg Harbor owners have a great site to announce gathers, sell merchandise, etc.  They also had a forum that you could not post unless you were a member and paid a small yearly fee, which got you a burgee and a window sticker.  There are enough of us in the area to help with things like that.

It's something to think about and work on.  I think that there is a defanite need to categorize the topics and also a place to post improvements that owners have made that may not be as easy to describe or visualize.  I would pay to see this happen.

Back to Top Printable version View TStellato's Profile Search for other posts by TStellato

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: November 28 2007 at 08:58 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Hello pete 37 and other chris owners,I also belong to a site called FISH THE CLASSIC which is solely for shamrock owners. It is a great site and offers all that pertain to shamrocks. feel free to go there and contact GAVIN one of the moderators for insight on how to do it properly.You will not be disappointed.  All you need to type is fish the classic hit search check it out. It would really be nice to have all Murray chris' on the same page, as if you check message boards,you will find the catalina guys all over the place.as well as on your page.Boat US could link it with a murray chris link.That way all of us Murray chris owners would really be able to share info.You are on the right track with a dedicated site for us,all of  the 251 guys are a tight bunch also,and you connie guys are hooked up very nicely  for some reason we catalina guys are very widespread, a dedicated site would bring us together and down the road,could be really beneficial. thank you for your time BOATMAN 66 294 catalina 1986

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: December 16 2007 at 09:07 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Emory,

I believe you mentioned awhile back that you installed 45 degree elbos on your exhaust outlets. As I recall you used rubber exhuast hose, not stainless, and did not notice any differance in the transom soot problem. I am surprised the side slip stream, with the exhuast shooting into it, did not help alleviate some of the soot. I wonder if you extended them out more if this would help?  I wonder what would happen if they were turned more towards the water? As crazy as this sounds how about facing each other, let them fight it out with each other, the station wagon effect and the slip stream.... that should get a response from Pete.

Since the boats is winterized I have been thinking about next years boating season and how nice it would be to have sootless cruising. I hope someone comes up with a cure.

Dave

Furman1
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 16 2007 at 09:47 | IP Logged Quote Furman1

My 45 degree stainless elbows are pointed out and down. no soot at all

Furman
Back to Top Printable version View Furman1's Profile Search for other posts by Furman1

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: December 16 2007 at 11:49 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

Dave - that wasn't me.  However, I say that I would LIKE to try exhaust extensions/elbows which dump the exhaust/soot into the slip-stream.

Furman - I would rather have stainless elbows rather than rubber (for longevity).  Please tell me where you purchased your stainless elbows.  Thanks!

I think we need to attack the soot problem from more than one angle:

a) perfectly tuned engines; ie, good injectors, clean after-cooler, clean and operational blower bypass valve, proper boost, clean airboxes, etc.

b) exhaust elbows which will direct the exhaust flow into the slip stream, thereby wetting the exhaust keeping it from becoming airborne.

c) a polymer coating that will reject the sooting and that which does attach becomes easier to wash off.  Such as: http://www.buycorrosionx.com/index.php?app=ccp1&ns=catsh ow&ref=RejeX&sid=949e548u9e9ih521q3oq037r59awetj3

Just my thoughts.  Hope everyone is ready for Christmas and looking forward to next boating season.

Edited by Sonja Lowe on June 11 2014 at 11:33

Furman1
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 16 2007 at 13:48 | IP Logged Quote Furman1

Banjo man,

I went to Williams Detriot Diesel and they ordered them for me. (they are made for trucks) They work on trucks a lot more than boats. They ordered the 8 inch for me. This is the same size as the existing exhausts.  You have to heat the extentions to get them to expand enough to slip over the existing ones. I then throu bolted them in 3 places.  They've been on for 8 years with no sign of wear.

Furman

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: December 16 2007 at 17:04 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

Thanks for the info Furman.  As I mentally view your boat (looking toward the transom), I see the extensions as pointing toward the chine.  Would that be about right? 

Furman1
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 16 2007 at 17:09 | IP Logged Quote Furman1

That's about right.  My boat has a swim platform that's 54 inches deep. We scuba and that a good place to work from.  We also pull our 10 ft soft bottom dingy on the platform and store it there while traveling.  It's strapped down of course.

Furman

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: December 16 2007 at 20:08 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Corey,

I thought it was Emory who installed 45 degree rubber exhuast extensions but went back and found out it was you (on your July 2nd post). Please go back a few posts to my questions to Emory and get back to me with any info you can provide. Did you keep the extensions on?

Dave

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: December 16 2007 at 22:13 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

Hey folks, while attending an engine survey on a pair of 8V71 naturals, I  discussed the smoke/soot issue I have had with the surveyor (Tom Hug).  I mentioned to him that the bottom was clean, props scanned, engines tuned a year or so ago by a DD guy, etc.  The first thing he mentioned to me was whether or not I have checked the blower bypass valves.  I said no, they are simple and easy thing to check but that I had not (I'm red faced about now).  Some years ago (back in the early 80's) when DD and their marinizers started hopping up the engines for the sport fish folks and the MY folks who wanted speed, they found that after installing turbos, the blower, being fixed displacement, became an impediment to the amount of air flow needed.  The "fix" is/was the blower bypass valve.  This valve opens at a particular volume of air pressure and allows "extra" air under the blower and through the after-cooler.  If this valve sticks in the closed position, that extra amount of air is denied.  This can and will produce (in my case) a loss of power, grey smoke, soot. etc.  DD manual says this valve should be cleaned every 60 hrs. or so.  Have any of you removed and cleaned yours?  Of course, as some of you know, my problem has not only been soot and smoke, but my smoke is on plane and I cannot make full RPMs (2050 tops).  I guess I'll address this again this Spring.  Just thought I'd bring up the bypass valve thingy to ya'll.  BTW - they're located behind the blower.  They look like little round cannisters.  You have to remove the air-horn to get them out, but they're easy to remove.  I guess I should also mention that the valves can, and do, stick in the open position.  Symptoms of this is black smoke at slow to hull speed.  I'm not a Detroit mechanic and do not play one on TV.  Check your local listings for a Detroit mechanic near you.

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: December 17 2007 at 17:23 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Banjoman,

When and where did you talk to Tom Hug?  He did my injectors, risers, all new hoses, etc. I had been trying to get in touch with him for over six months and gave up. I left messages on his cell phone and office phone, e-mailed him and sent a letter to his office.

Dave

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: December 17 2007 at 20:18 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

Wow!  Looks like Tom doesn't want to talk to you, huh?  I simply don't get that.  I talked with Tom on the 7th of Dec.  The only phone number I have is: 410-574-1625.  I did notice that he rarely answered his phone.  Of course, he was up to his elbows in 871's.  

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: December 19 2007 at 16:48 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Banjoman,

That's the same phone number I have for Tom. Don't know why he did not return my calls. My checks all cleared.  At least I know he is still around. I may try to get in touch with him again. Thanks for the info.

Dave

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: December 24 2007 at 10:42 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Guys,

It's been a long time since I've been on the forum and it looks like things have slowed down quite a bit.  It looks like there have only been 16 posts since Thanksgiving or only about half a post per day.  That's way down from our average of about 2.5 posts per day.  Looks like I'd better start stirring the pot again.  But perhaps that's just because it's winter and the Christmas season when we have other things on our minds.

I got shanghied last Thanksgiving by an old colleague of mine who wanted me to reprogram an old program I wrote for NASA way back in the 70's and 80's.  He wanted me to convert it from the old FORTRAN of the 80's into a modern program working on a PC.  The money was good so I took the job.  But I've been working 12 to 16 hour days since Thanksgiving and haven't had the time to post on the forum.  Finished the job on the 18th and have just about got back to normal now.

Just finished winterizing the boat yesterday.   Had to keep it on heaters until I had time to work on it.

Anyway, I've got a lot of stored up tidbits to discuss and will try to get back into the swing after Christmas.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to All,

Pete37

]
] ]
150 Pages « 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version