View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Murray Chris Craft Constellations Post ReplyPost New Topic
150 Pages « 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
eshover
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 19 2014 at 17:53 | IP Logged Quote eshover

Once I've commissioned Southern Charm for the season, I
usually try to inventory the boat. I give serious
consideration to what I keep and what I toss. But I am still
amazed at what I can accrue in just one or two seasons. I
like to keep the boat as clutter free as possible. One thing I
need to get better about is labeling spares and such. I have
some items that I cannot remember what they are for.   

Emory

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 19 2014 at 18:11 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Allen,

They aren't tools that only a Connie owner would own. Any owner experienced with working on a diesel powered yacht would have some of them. But most Connie owners don't have them. Particularly, those who have only had their Connies for a few years.

I have six tool boxes (the largest about 40 lbs), with general hand tools, five electric drills, several boxes of drill bits, a set of greenlees, several types of electric saws, a complete set of english and metric socket wrenches, an air compressor, dozens of different screwdrivers and wrenches, a couple of electronic vernier calipers, tap and die sets for english and metric, etc., etc.,etc.

I don't do major engine repairs so that's not the type of tools I have. But I have a number of wrenches unique to 6V92s.

I have three multimeters of different types, a couple thousand solderless connectors, several types of wire strippers, several types of crimpers, a couple hundred molex connectors, hundreds of wire ties, hundreds of nuts, bolts, screws and washers, a dozen spools of wire of the common size and colors and hundreds of miscellaneous wiring parts.

I'm not on the boat and I'm doing this from memory. I'm sure I'm missing most of the stuff. And of course there are dozens of cans of paints and chemicals and a large selection of plastic and metalic plumbing parts and piping.

And last, but not least I have thousands of pages in books on yachts and a 5 gigbyte computer library on Connies in particular.

I'm not sure what your point is. I have a couple degrees in engineering and have been working on boats for over 50 years. This is my 28th boat and the last six have been yachts. Are you saying I'm not qualified to talk about yachts and Connies in particular?

Pete37

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 19 2014 at 18:25 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Not at all Pete, I respect your knowledge and opinions.   It just would
not keep that much stuff on my boat. I, personally like things
uncluttered and neat. I've turned into a germafob. I'm sure I mispelled
that too. I was hoping you wouldn't take these comment so personally.

Emory, when I first went through the bought I made a parts inventory.
Often mislabeled becouse I've never seen such a part before..
Apparantely, there's an app for that, as they say.

Fantasy
"Navigator"

Posted: January 19 2014 at 18:47 | IP Logged Quote Fantasy

Pete,
You should really do a cost/benefit analysis for carrying all of that junk. How often do you expect to use thousands of solderless connectors, for example? A few of each type should be adequate to get you home in an emergency. Unloading the duplicate tools and supplies might save you enough fuel to buy a tricked out tradesman van or at least a used utility trailer, not to mention the cost of renovating to carry even more junk. Too funny.
John

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 19 2014 at 18:53 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Pat,

Yes, I know I have too much stuff on the boat. That's what started this discussion. But I have thinned down what I have on the boat. I've got an additional 21 boxes of stuff in the garage loft. And probably another 10 in the attic. And there are a bunch of things that are too big for boxes. These are what I call my "Ready Reserve" parts and tools.

When spring comes I may move some of my excess stuff on the boat to the "Ready Reserve". But I'm pretty sure I'll still have too much "stuff" on the boat. I prefer to call it "stuff" because "stuff" may have some value while "crap" is worthless.

I've thought about buying an old truck to put some of my "stuff" in but it's too expensive to license, insure and maintain.

As a live aboard my guess is that you'll be fighting the "stuff" problem in less than a year. Especially when you're moving a full size desk into the Office/Den. The desk alone will bring your stuff/space quotient in that compartment to nearly 1.0. Better start thinking about renting a storage shed.

Pete37

PS: The boxes I use are about 16" long by 12" wide by 10" high (about 1.1 cu. ft.).

Edited by Pete37 on January 19 2014 at 19:09

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 19 2014 at 19:17 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Fantasy,

Yes that's more parts than I'm likely to use but solderless connectors weigh almost nothing and take up very little space. Most of the hardware and electrical parts fit into two fishing tackle boxes which don't weigh much or take up much space.

Pete37

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 19 2014 at 19:36 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Fantasy has a valid point since you are an engineer. Do a cost analysis
considering fuel and the cost of retrofitting your v-berth to accomadate
all your extra stuff.

Miss Donna's desk was constructed from 2-drawer base cabinets with
the bottom 4" cut off then a 72" counter on top. Of course cabinets
and executive office chair had to be assembled in the office. She loves
it. Another old country saying a fisherman on the detroit River told
me, "It's a lazy man that can't keep his woman working". Even Donna
gets a chuckle from that one.

Once we get to our permanent slip in th Fort Myers area I will indeed
rent a shop, as this dream state cannot last forever. I will return to
work doing residential & marine carpentry.

Peace out, time to watch some football. Who's a Pat's fan?

eshover
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 19 2014 at 19:58 | IP Logged Quote eshover

Pat     PATS

Sorry.

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: January 19 2014 at 20:09 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Like Pat, I tend to keep a neat boat. I keep a decent tool box and parts that can take care of a lot of repairs and maintenance. Everything is kept clean and in its place. I keep a list of where items are and an up to date inventory. On longer cruises I bring the larger tool box and misc items. If a big problem comes about I can bring to the boat what I need, or have the boat yard or outside help take care of it. If a problem develops underway, hopefully I will be able to patch or repair it, or call for help. Can't be prepared for everything. Being able to swim and having great insurance also helps.

It is nice to see posts are picking up. It's great to hear again from some of the earlier site posters along with some newbies. Hopefully some more of the ol' gang will chime in. I hope things keep civil and personalities don't over react. Keeping things in line will help bring more people back. One more over-reaction or insulting comment will probalby be the end. There is a lot of experience and knowledge here. The common thread of our desire to boat and an interest in Chris Crafts makes for an interseting format. Safety, maintenance and operational exchange is very important, but in the end we are literally captains of our own fate. As discussed many times, each Connie is a equiped uniquely and we all have different ways of changing and using them.

Back to Top Printable version View David Ross's Profile Search for other posts by David Ross

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 20 2014 at 07:32 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Funny one Emory. I am still smiling since I've hooked my wagon up
behind the Broncos after the Bears fizzled out. Not that they were ever
shining very bright this year.
Back to work on the boat today. I will install a my new shut-off
selonoid on the port engine to start. Do you think it's ok to just run
the engine a little bit to test the unit or should I wait until I can run it?
Next time to check all electrical connections on the panel and switches.

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 20 2014 at 11:10 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Emory,   I took the panel off and was able to tighten many screws on
the main selector switch. Found one terminal that was loose so I
ended up taking the switch off and removed the cover. Oops! Not
quite what I said. Calmed down and was able to turn the first section
over and use the unused side, re-assembled the switch and flipped the
power back on.   IT worked, what a sigh of relief. Checked temps and
all is well.   
I will now try to induce power from the second cord. Results to follow.
20_110849_image.jpg">
20_110921_image.jpg">
20_111003_image.jpg">

Edited by Pats2nd Connie on January 21 2014 at 19:50

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 20 2014 at 11:43 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Well, obviously I still can't post a photo.

However I have fixed the switch! The switch that 3 marine electrician
wanted to replace for over $2400. Doing the "Dance of Joy"

eshover
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 20 2014 at 12:07 | IP Logged Quote eshover

Pat - That is great news!! Even a blind squirrel finds an
acorn every now and then! Yes, it pays to pay close
attention to power terminal connections. Now you should
double check your power cord inlets and make sure those
terminals are secure. Don't wait for a burned inlet, power
cord or worse to offer you a "clue".

I was standing by my 381 Catalina one day, doing what we
do best. Shooting bull crap and drinking beer. I kept
noticing an "electrical burn" smell. (we should all know that
smell) Finally, I asked a dock buddy if he smelled it and he
yes that it was getting stronger. I walked over to the
power inlets on my boat and saw a wisp of smoke coming
from one of the inlets! I shut down the pedestal and
unplugged the power cords. Upon examination, I found
that one of the cords had a loose terminal and was burning
a hole right through the heavy plastic casing! And no
breaker had tripped! If I hadn't noticed this, my boat could
have caught fire and who knows was damage could have
occurred.
The irony here? As a surveyor, I always check power
cords and inlets for any signs of burning or short circuits.
However, when it came to my own boat, I failed her!
As the old saying goes; "The cobblers children have no
shoes" I caught the dickens from my dock mates!

Emory

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 20 2014 at 16:34 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Who you calling a blind squirrel, why I outa.... Lol
I totally lucked out on that one Emory. After I fixed that I rooked the
rest of the day off. Never made it to the engine room even. Instead I
went for a bike ride and a dinghy ride with my Kiwi buddy who caught
up with us.
Tomorrow I will check the inlets and then maybe make it to the engine
room. Unless of course it's as nice as today.

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 20 2014 at 22:09 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

Subject: Forward Stateroom Storage Capacity

I went back to the boat today to measure the lower bunk in the forward cabin for storage capacity. I have six bankers boxes temporarily stored on it now which is a capacity of 1.1 x 6 = 6.6 cu. ft of storage.

By taking the mattress out I can get two boxes vertically for each of the six boxes which makes 12 boxes. And I found that I can store a box in front of each of these boxes for all but 1 of the 6 boxes. So that's (6-1) x 2 = 10 more boxes for a total 22 boxes or 24.2 cu. ft. of storage.

I also measured the headroom in the lower bunk and found it was only 20 inches (with the mattress in). With the mattress out it's 23". But who wants to sleep in a bunk with no mattress? And even with the 3" mattress in the sleeping comfort is marginal.

I removed all the boxes and slid into the bunk. It's pretty claustrophobic even with only one person in it. It has about the same space as a coffin. With two people I think it would be intolerable. The upper bunk seems to have similar problems. So the forward stateroom works as a stateroom but only with one person in each bunk. Not exactly a compartment in which to renew connubial relationships.

So what's my plan now? I think I'll just forego the workbench for the moment and add enough boxes to store all my stuff. The workbench was a desired item not a required item. I can probably also reduce the amount of stuff stored in other locations on the boat and move it to the forward stateroom.

Someone asked for an engineering estimate of the cost of the workbench. I do all my own carpentry and a workbench is not a fine piece of cabinetry so I could probably build one for $50-$100 if I decide to build one later.

The banker's boxes are of course made of cardboard and are not exactly waterproof. I haven't had any problems with them yet but I think I'll try to replace them with sealable waterproof plastic boxes of about the same size. These boxes could have dessicant bags added to them to keep the contents really dry.

I weighed the contents of a typical bunch of bankers boxes and found that they weigh about 15 lbs, A few were as much as 30 lbs. but most were much lighter. So even if I go to the full 22 boxes the additional weight near the bow will only be about 330 lbs. I doubt I'll actually go much beyond 10 boxes which would be 150 lbs.

So far the only disadvantage I can see is that I sacrifice the use of the lower bunk in the forward stateroom. The upper bunk remains the same. And even if the use of the forward stateroom becomes essential the boxes can simply be moved to the guest stateroom or elsewhere on the boat.

Pete37

PS: Here is a picture of the guest stateroom.

Edited by Pete37 on January 20 2014 at 22:26

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 21 2014 at 10:04 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

Subject: Posting Pictures

Not many of you are posting pictures like the one above. I guess it's because you don't know how. The latest version of picture posting makes it rather tricky and it took me a month before I tumbled to the tricks. So I'm going to write up the procedure and post it so you can post pictures too.

Pete37

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 21 2014 at 11:56 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All (especially Pat),

Subject: Posting Pictures

A number of forum members have been trying to post pictures with no success so I’m posting the procedure for making a post with pictures added. Hope it works. If it doesn’t, post me with your problems.

The first thing to do is to select the picture you want to post. It must be a jpg file and less than 100kB. And its width should be less than 5”. If your picture is too big you’ll need to get it down to 100kB and 5” using a photo editor.

I use Microsoft “Picture It 10”. It’s an excellent picture editor and will do just about everything but it cost about $100 when I bought it. Someone suggested Microsoft “Paint” which at one time was part of the Windows package. I looked for it on my computer but didn’t find it. It’s probably been discontinued as part of the Windows package. But I did find it as a free download on the web. It would probably work if you don’t have a picture editor. However, when I checked on the current price of “Picture It 10” on the web I found that it also was a free download. I can’t guarantee either of these downloads will work but of the two, “Picture It 10” seems like the better choice.

OK, once you’ve selected the picture you want to post, make a copy of it for backup so that if you screw up something you’ll still have the original.

Open the copy in your picture editor and set the physical size of the picture. I suggest 5” for the horizontal dimension. The vertical dimension will be selected automatically depending on the height/width format of the picture.

At this point you can crop it if you want. It doesn’t make any difference what editor you used as long as the result is a jpg file and falls within the 100kB and 5” limits.

The 5” limit is not an absolute limit. Pictures can be bigger but if you make them too big they won’t fit in the space available on the forum. For beginners I suggest 5”. As you gain experience you can go bigger or smaller.

One final thing must be done. The picture must be sized by setting the resolution so that the size of the picture is less than 100kB. But just because you have 100kB as a limit you don’t have to use the full limit. If the picture looks OK at 50kB use 50kB. Storage space costs money.

After finishing all of your picture editing, save your copy. Make sure you use a name different than the original. I usually just add a “b” to the end of the original pictures name. So “Picture.jpg” becomes “Pictureb.jpg”. Now your picture file is nearly ready to upload but remember to write down its location on your computer. You’re going to have to browse for it when you get on the forum.

Fire up Windows and go to the forum. Open your post and type in your text. When you get to the point where you want to post the picture, go to the upper right hand corner of the post and click the icon that says “Upload Picture”.

This will open another small window which says “Browse for File”. Browse for the file and when you find it click “OK”. The small window will disappear and after a couple of “Be Patient” messages a line of text will appear on your post saying something like

“[IMG] uploads/Pete37/images/2014-01-21_1113106_Interlude_02b.jpg/I MG”

Naturally your user name will be different, the date will be different and the file name will be different.

At this point you'll probably say “Damn! I still didn’t’ get a picture.” Patience; save your post and close it. Now go back to the post and re-open it. Your picture should be there.

Happy Posting,

Pete37

PS: At the moment there is no wayof editing or adjusting the picture once it's added to the post.. If it doesn't work out the way you want you'll just have to delete the picture and try again.

Edited by Pete37 on January 21 2014 at 12:05

eshover
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 21 2014 at 13:22 | IP Logged Quote eshover

This forum is pretty archaic for 2014. I notice that when I
wish to bold, italicize, or underline, I have to type in the
words in some odd little box and it then is inserted into the
post. I would imagine that many of us will write a post on
a forum, and THEN go back and see something they wish to
embellish in some way or other. That is usually performed
by simply highlighted the content and simply hitting a
"button" that activates that modification.
The steps required to drop a picture into the forum is pretty
complicated for an individual who is not computer savvy or
simply gets frustrated with all the steps. I've done it, but
find it inhibiting.   However, I DO understand the
economics of BoatUS support of a "free" site as well.

Emory

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 21 2014 at 13:36 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Pete I am getting this far. How do I save? I use an I-pad         & nbsp;  
22_120030_image.jpg">.

Edited by Pats2nd Connie on January 22 2014 at 12:02

eshover
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 21 2014 at 13:42 | IP Logged Quote eshover

Pat - no picture.

Grey Goose
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 21 2014 at 13:57 | IP Logged Quote Grey Goose

Pat

I never had any luck posting pictures from my ipad.
PC no problem

Good luck

Back to Top Printable version View Grey Goose's Profile Search for other posts by Grey Goose

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 21 2014 at 14:03 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Yes Emory, I can't seem to find the save function once write the post
and download the picture.

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 21 2014 at 14:12 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Testing

Edited by Pete37 on January 21 2014 at 14:25

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 21 2014 at 14:37 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Emory & Pat,

Yes, the programming on the site is badly screwed up. I did some testing and found out that none of the icons above the Text area, Font, Size or Colour take effect until the file is posted and then reopened. But at least it's a common error. Fix one and they all should work.

For example, you should be able to select a word or series of words and then type the 'B" icon to make all the characters in that string bold. But the link for that function has been disabled.

Apparently someone has disabled all the features above the text area and has substituted the Forum Codes for them. I have tried a few of the forum codes and they seem to work but are very tedious to type in. Click "Forum Codes" to see what the forum codes are.

I don't see a forum code for uploading a file from my computer. But I suspect [IMG] is used.

There is no "Save" function. The save function is performed by "Post Reply" and "Update Post". But it has always been that way.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on January 21 2014 at 15:49

Spike166
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 21 2014 at 18:29 | IP Logged Quote Spike166

Hi all, been away from the computer for a few days and
getting caught up. It's good to see the activity here.

The turbos are now off and will be taken to a shop in Indy
tomorrow for a rebuild. It was a pretty easy job overall,
just had to cut one bolt that refused to budge.

The subject of storage is one that I am very interested in.
Since our plan is to be full time liveaboards with no on
shore storage what do you all feel are essential tools to
keep onboard? I'm thinking a fairly complete set of
mechanic tools; an electrical box with meter,
stripper/crimper, connections, tape; a plumbing box with
basic tools and some spare connections and a good 36v
cordless set with drill, saw etc.

Another question is spare parts. Filters, impellers, fuses,
oil, bulbs...what am I missing?

The goal would be to be able to handle most day to day
maintenance items but leave the big jobs to a port call.
Remember, we are a 460 so are short one
stateroom/storage area. I would hope to be able to store
most items bellow deck in the genny room or under the
forward stateroom. I was pleased to find one nice storage
nook on the starboard side of the lower saloon. I opened
the access hatch next to the cupboard and found the old
controls for the TV antenna, this is a pretty large unused
space that even has an outlet.

So give me some ideas before I start to bring all my tools
from the garage down to the boat...including the tablesaw.

Back to Top Printable version View Spike166's Profile Search for other posts by Spike166

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 21 2014 at 18:38 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Kevin it sounds like your pretty close to the complete package. I am
trying to decide how much I will use the bow seat in the hot Florida
sun. My cushions need replacement too. I am thinking that would be
good for tubby storage under canvas. I also found that storage area
with antenna stuff. Have not utilized it yet.
On the way down I have a temporary work bench in the upper salon. A
folding table which I keep tabbies under. As I live on it longer I am
filtering it out and will eliminate it on ewe are settled in favor of a l-
shape sofa.

Bring one white hose for water and another hose for washing the boat.

Spike166
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 21 2014 at 18:50 | IP Logged Quote Spike166

One other thing I thought some of you may be interested
in. I bought this little gadget a couple of months ago and it
gives me real piece of mind being away from the boat for a
few days.

http://www.diycontrols.com/p-8205-diy-cellular-alarm-for-
homes.aspx

It will send me a text if the temp gets too high/low, high
water and power failure. The last one is most important to
me as the boat is not winterized and I'm running block
heaters to keep the engines nice and toasty. Yesterday I
turned on a couple of extra cabin heaters to prepare for
this latest polar vortex and last night I got a text that said
"Chasing 80 has lost power". The ER temps stay in the 70's
even during the cold snaps and I'm sure it would have
been fine overnight but I went down and re-set the breaker
and balanced the load better.

Don't want to open a winterizing discussion, we spend
about every weekend on the boat and I'm down a couple of
days during the week tinkering on it so I keep all systems
operational.

Just thought I'd throw it out there if anyone is interested.
Cost is only $30 a year for a Verizon contract ($15 the first
year)

Edited by Spike166 on January 21 2014 at 18:58

Back to Top Printable version View Spike166's Profile Search for other posts by Spike166

Grey Goose
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 21 2014 at 19:12 | IP Logged Quote Grey Goose

Kevin
That looks like a very cool device. If I read correctly, the unit with high
water and power loss costs $270 and $30/year for service. This would
definitely would give me more piece of mind over the winter.

Back to Top Printable version View Grey Goose's Profile Search for other posts by Grey Goose

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 21 2014 at 19:49 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Winter? Oh yeah that. Kevin, what is the mantaiance schedule for the
turbos?

Fantasy
"Navigator"

Posted: January 21 2014 at 20:34 | IP Logged Quote Fantasy

Kevin,

It was good to see a post from a fellow 460 owner. Our cabinetry is slightly different from the 500's. I use the starboard side cabinet that you mention for parts and supplies that I don't need to get to often (the couch interferes). I use cardboard boxes of various sizes and label them A, B, C, D, etc., and keep an inventory of what's in each box. I try to group the boxes so that “A” for example has generator parts. My inventory shows that box has an impeller, racor filter, gaskets, etc. for the Onan. Other labeled boxes might include parts for the mains, cable TV, cabinet parts, etc. Of course the inventory is only useful if you remember to keep it up to date when you use an item.

On the port side, aft of the electrical panel, is another storage area. I have removed the screws and put mirror clips on the bottom and a spring cabinet latch on the top, which allows me to pop out the hatch easily. I use that space to store items I need more often. I have a dremmel kit in there, snaps and tools, multi-max saw (fein tool), tap and dyes and a variety of metal and wood stock. I was also able to store a set of spare props in that cabinet, which I hope never to need.

On the forward bulkhead of the port side generator room I have mounted a wire shelf that I use to keep power tools in sealed plastic containers. Each container is labeled for sanders, drills, heat gun, sabre saw, grinder, etc., so I know where to find things.

I have found it very helpful to have a regular place for things and to keep up with inventories. None of these storage areas encroach upon our living areas ,which is important to me since I have been living aboard for more that ten years and don't have any significant land storage space.

John

Spike166
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 21 2014 at 21:30 | IP Logged Quote Spike166

Goose, yeah that price sounds about right. Well worth it in
my opinion even when we get to be full time on board.

Pat, I knew the turbos needed service from our survey.
Since we plan on running slower I hope to never need it
again. I don't know if there is an actual number of hours
where service is required. As far as winter goes...I hope to
catch up to you before the next one hits!

John, thanks for those pics. I've been trying to figure a way
to hinge or latch those panels. That looks like a great way
to do it and a great use of the space. I too want to keep
the living spaces liveable and maximize storage where I
can. The nice thing is with a new boat we are starting with
a blank canvas, I don't want it to get away from us as we
start moving aboard this summer. I don't want to cram the
boat with things we might need that I probably only
paid 10 bucks for at Harbor Freight.

I'll keep you all posted on the turbos. They figure a week
turn around and 900-1300 per unit...lets hope for the lower
number!

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 21 2014 at 22:55 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Kevin,

Subject: Turbos

I've replaced both turbos. One was overhauled at a cost of about $1,100 and the other replaced at $1,500. My mechanic said that the one which was replaced wasn't worth overhauling. It took about two weeks to remove, send out for repair and reinstall each of the turbos; they didn't fail at the same time.

When the turbos go that's a pretty good indication that the risers need replacement too. And shortly after that the big 8" diameter stainless steel exhaust pipes will corrode out and need replacement. Overall the costs could be $10,000 but fortunately the costs will probably be spread out over several years.

Keep a close eye on the risers. If they blow out they could do some very expensive engine damage. This is more likely with the cast iron risers but it could happen with the stainless steel ones too.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on January 22 2014 at 10:34

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 22 2014 at 10:29 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi John,

I've been using that space behind the staircase for years. It's my storage compartment for spare plumbing components. I dont need to get at them very often so I didn't bother with any snaps. I just used the screws. I use my drill-driver to remove and replace the screws.

Since the screws eventually strip out the wood I have a sacrificial block of wood into which the screws attach. When the srews strip out the wood (every year or so) I just move the block an inch and start over. I use that same technique in a lot of places on the boat.

There's a big hole in the back of this compartment through which most of the wires from the Master AC Power Panel pass. I filled that in with a piece of plywood so stuff wouldn't drop through the hole into the bilge.

There's a lot of space in this compartment and it's dry.

Did you figure out how to post pictures from my recent post on the subject or did you know how to do it all along? Although the business about having to submit the post and the reopen it before you can see the picture is a PITA the rest of the procedure is pretty simple. But many of our forum members seem computer challenged. I hope that Brian gets that problem fixed soon.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on January 22 2014 at 10:30

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 22 2014 at 11:03 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

From some of the recent posts you would think my Connie is cluttered with junk. That's not the case, I like to keep my boat uncluttered and in orderly fashion. That's why I worry about storage space. Here's a pic of my lower salon:

Whoops! Looks like picture posting has died completely.

Perhaps they're working on it.

Well, it seems to be working better now.

Anyway, the point of the picture is that it doesn't look very cluttered does it? Just a few nick-nacks on the shelf. That's a 10 year old picture. The only thing that's changed is that I have a new picture on the wall and a new rug on the floor (same color though).

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on January 22 2014 at 11:50

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 22 2014 at 12:05 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Test22_120526_image.jpg">

Edited by Pats2nd Connie on January 22 2014 at 12:06

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 22 2014 at 12:07 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

I give up.

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 22 2014 at 12:36 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Spike66,

They used to sell those phone alert systems but the main emphasis was on power failure. They work great but you have to have phone service to the boat which is expensive and therefore since the advent of cell phones we don't have a phone on the boat.

There are systems for boats called "cell phone docking stations" that work off cell phone service. They eliminate the monthly charges since most of us already have cell phone service but are they are expensive too.

Power failure isn't much of a problem because if our power goes out the whole dock usually goes out too and the marina takes care of it pretty fast. Of course our power cable could go out. The only protection against that is to keep your cables in good shape. Since the boat is under cover the cables don't get wet and last a long time.

Our docks have bubblers so ice isn't a problem and the marina men walk the docks every day. But in spite of all these protections I'm still a "belt and suspenders" guy when it comes to the boat and fully winterize it.

However, if your boat is in a remote location where no one monitors it or if you don't fully winterize a phone alert system is an important safety item.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on January 22 2014 at 12:42

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 22 2014 at 12:51 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Pat,

I'm sorry that you are having trouble posting pictures but I don't know much about the idiosynchracies of smart phones so I can't help you much.
It's a shame because I think you have a lot of pictures which the forum members would like to see. However, if you email them to me I can post them for you.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on January 22 2014 at 13:02

Fantasy
"Navigator"

Posted: January 22 2014 at 12:57 | IP Logged Quote Fantasy

Pete,
I've never had a problem loading pictures as long as I am at a location with a good signal. I use paint to resize the photo, which you will find under "accessories" on the program list of any windows machine. Before my final posting, I click "preview post" which usually loads pretty quickly and shows the photo.

There are many interactive sites where smart phones and tablets are not fully functional. This is probably one of them.

Your plumbing cabinet is a decent place for those items. My plumbing department is a drawer/bin unit mounted on the gen. rm forward bulkhead, in the alley way. There is also a hanging rack for an assortment of sharkbites still in their packages, seen on the upper right.

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 22 2014 at 14:11 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi John,

My plumbing storage isn't as organized as yours. I use cardboard boxes and have one for bronze fittings, one for other metal fittings, one for Qest fittings and a couple for miscellaneous stuff.

For electronic stuff I use Plano Tackle Systems Boxes. You can find them at any sporting shop and many marine stores. They have many small compartments arranged in four or five slide out trays. There about 100 compartments in each tackle box so you can store a lot of different items. Plus the tackle box has a plastic lid that keeps the drawers from sliding out and spilling their contents. Also the tackle boxes are small enough to fit in the side cabinets of the lower salon

I have two tackle boxes for electrical parts. Electrical connectors, etc. usually come in boxes of 100 to 500 parts. I dump a couple dozen in each compartment and the rest are stored in their original boxes.

I have one large large tackle box for small nuts, bolts, washers, screws, etc. Again a few dozen of each are put in the compartments and the remainder are left in their original boxes.

As the parts in the tackle box compartments are used up I refill the compartments from the contents of the original boxes. One could ask why I just don't take the original electrical and mechanical parts boxes home. I could but they don't take up that much space; probably about one bankers box (1.1 cu. ft.)

Tools are a different story. I've got six tool boxes, each with a different type of tools and they pretty much fill up the space under the lower/upper salon staircase.

Vacuum cleaners are another bulky item; I have four; one is a standard household vacuum cleaner, one is a small wet/or/dry unit for the bilges, one is a small detailing vacuum for small cabinets and one is a full blown rug cleaner. Each has a passel of hoses, tools, cleaner bags and chemicals. They use up most of the guest cabin closet. I think I'll take home at least two of them this spring.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on January 22 2014 at 15:11

]
] ]
150 Pages « 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version