View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Murray Chris Craft Constellations Post ReplyPost New Topic
150 Pages « 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: December 17 2013 at 16:00 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Pat,

Your Tech must be reading that from something other than what Groco is using for distribution to the public. The 2014 Groco Catalog shows the seal as part number 69080 on the 1st page of the SP Series Info Sheets.

The number you give sounds more like a MIL Spec Number. A lot of manufacturers buy their parts from subcontractors who often use Mil Spec Numbers. That same seal may be used on dozens of other motors or pumps. It easier for the subcontractors who often supply parts to dozens of end product manufacturers to refer to the part by its Mil Spec number.

Either way though you would get the right part.

Pete37

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: December 18 2013 at 10:40 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

Subject: Oil Change Systems

Pat's posts on his Groco Oil Change System made me review the replacement of my old Groco Oil Change System which I made last spring. One of the reasons that I changed it was that I had read that gear pumps are better at moving high viscosity diesel oils than vane or rubber impeller type pumps. My old Groco vane pump was producing only a rather anemic flow of oil.

At the time, Groco didn't make an oil change system with a gear pump. Therefore, I selected the Jabsco Model 17820 oil change system which has a gear pump. It's cost was $382.

Groco now makes an oil change system with a gear pump which it calls the Ulube G-3. It looks almost the same as the Jabsco 17820. It's listed on page 607 of the 2013 West Marine catalog at a price of $490. So apparently the Jabsco unit was a good buy.

Reverso makes an oil change system (also on page 607 at $529) which looks very similar to the Groco and Jabsco systems. I don't have my 2014 West Marine Catalog yet so the prices may be higher. If you're interested in buying an oil exchange system shop around on the web.

The old Groco SPO-60-R vane pump is still offered by Groco but isn't offered as part of an oil change system and doesn't seem to be carried by many retailers. It sells for about $450 (stand alone, not part of a system).

Pete37   

Edited by Pete37 on December 18 2013 at 12:06

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 19 2013 at 12:18 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Good morning all, the Miss Donna finally got out for a ride, great day.
However, while I was passing a no wake zone at idle speed the port
engine died. I figured once I got it restarted it was time to turn
around.   Unfortunately while going back into the harbor it died again.   
It was truely a fire drill til I restarted it again.
Docked and went down to see what was up and there was fuel spewed
about. I tracked the source to a Hobbs pressure switch on the
secondary fuel filter.
Does anybody know why these would go bad, both are leaking. Also
what do they do?

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: December 20 2013 at 13:06 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Pat & Donna,

Subject: Hobbs Pressure Switch

I think the Hobbs pressure switch is there to prevent you from trying to engage the starter while the engine is running. I had one go bad a few years ago. I think I have a picture of it somewhere in my records. The switch is normally closed and connects the starter to the starter button but when there is hydraulic presure it opens. This prevents you from trying to engage the starter while the engine is running.

Of course there may be more than one Hobbs pressure switch on the engine. You'll have to check to see whether your switch is wired to the starter circuit. When mine failed it didn't leak; it just stayed in the open position. I don't know of anything that would make them go bad other than old age. I think they are made of steel and could have rusted out.

It's a fairly easy thing to fix. Just take it off and go to your friendly neighborhood diesel parts supplier. Or order it by mail or on the web.

PS: My switch was a Hobbs #76579-4 and cost $21.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on December 20 2013 at 13:52

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 20 2013 at 14:27 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

I'm glad they have that Pete. I know I've pressed the start button a
couple times when I meant to stop early on. (No glasses on). A
mechanic thought it might run the hour meter. I have ordered them
from Fleet Supply. I'll have a total baskets of parts to install when I
return home. Plus it's time for me to replace some more hoses before
we travel again.

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 27 2013 at 08:52 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Good morning.

Rebuilt my Groco pump and re-installed it yesterday. It's pumping oil
again. Also replaced both Hobbs switches. Final preparations to get
underway again on Sunday.   Miss Donna needs some heat.

We will probably spend New Years in Carravelle while we wait for a
good window to cross the Gulf.

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: December 27 2013 at 13:51 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Pat & Donna,

Looks like you've got a 60 to 80 mile hike across open water. Better pick good weather and make sure your boat is in A1 condition before starting. What's your destination port in Florida?

I've been off-the-air for about a week now because of a major computer breakdown. But I think I've got it fixed now.

Good luck on your trip.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on December 27 2013 at 13:53

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 27 2013 at 15:12 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Hello Pete,

It's a 153 mile crossing between carrabelle & Clearwater. You could
hug the show more,however most of those areas are quite shallow at
low tide. Hence you could get stuck there waiting to leave or just plain
stuck. We will have an expeienced3rd captain with with us.
On the Great Loop site, there is a fellow who reports on the gulf
forecasts. He say the Gulf is closed until further notice.

When we do settle down it will be near Fort Myers.

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: December 27 2013 at 18:05 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Pat & Donna,

My wife, Arlene and I have been considering a move to Florida for a long time. We even had a contract on a house in Ft. Myers at one time. But we were younger then and couldn't quite stand the dominant retirement mentality at the time. But perhaps now that we're older now is the time. There are still some great housing bargains there.

Perhaps (but not likely) we may be your neighbors in Ft. Meyers. Of course that could be a turn-off for you so don't take me too seriously.

The big problem for us is where do you cruise to from Fort Meyers? Just up and down the coastline I guess. And of course how expensive are covered slips.? We're confirmed covered slip owners and just can't imagine life in an open slip. Especially in Florida's summertime heat.

Anyway here in MD in the winter, summertime heat isn't a problem. A heat wave is anything over 40F.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on December 27 2013 at 18:07

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 27 2013 at 18:20 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Yes Pete, 70 is the new 50.   We are looking at Meyers area because it
is more laid back, undeveloped as much as Tampa area.

You could go north or south, out or in. Plenty of cruising options.

A covered slip was pretty nice in Nashville. Floating at that.

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: December 28 2013 at 09:28 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Hi Pat & Donna, Pete, and all,

I looks like the Chris Craft Connie chat line is trying to reorganize here. If that is the case, I look forward to the camaraderie and input. Hopefully web site problems and negative situations are a thing of the past. It would be nice to hear from some of the original group and get more Chris Craft owners envolved. It appears some of the Connies have new owners.

We had plans on driving to Florida to get away from the New Jersy  winter weather. We were going to stay in the Fort Meyers area for a month and then go to the east coast (South Beach area) for another month. At the last moment we decided to fly (in January) to Palm Springs, California (Via San Diego) for a month and then we will head to the Henderson/Las Vegas area for awhile then fly home. Florida will be on the plan for next year.

Pete, you are correct, there are still some good real estate prices in Florida. I really enjoy it there and would move in a heart beat... but the kids and five grandsons (our latest granson arriving just this October) all live about 15 minutes from us now. And the Chesapeak Bay and area still calls to me, except not much during November thru March.

Pat, I still am enjoying your cruise adventures! Donna's pictures and updates are great. If she does not follow the Boat US site, please pass this on to her. Hope your improvements and maintenance are coming along well. How about a report on your fuel usage and experience on running on one engine. I was going to see if you would be interested in getting together in Fort Meyers until our plans changed. Maybe next winter.

During winterizing, the air conditoner seacock metal basket strainer pull handle broke off. I was able to remove the basket with needle nose plyers. The basket is in excellent shape except for the broken pull. Looks like pull was attached (welded?) inside the basket on each side and one side was already broke and when I went to remove it and the other side broke. The seacock is the same type that is used on our generator: Groco ARG 1000. Anyone know if the basket can be ordered or any suggestion on re-attaching the handle.

Back to Top Printable version View David Ross's Profile Search for other posts by David Ross

Capt.Wayne
"Seaman"

Posted: December 28 2013 at 10:16 | IP Logged Quote Capt.Wayne

Hi Dave,
You can order the strainer baskets separately without the strainer. I got the plastic because the salt water here in FL just eats the metal. Not sure where I got them from now, but I think it was from Groco. I'm still in Marco Island, living the Florida life.

Pat,
You'll love the weather. No one down here knows what a snow shovel is, and Ice is used in cocktails. Ft Myers is 30 miles from Naples. Hope to meet up with you after you settle in.

Pete,
I spent most of my life in Maryland and glad I made the move. Last year I helped move a 46 ft Carver from Naples to Annapolis, MD across the Okeechobee. What fun!!

Back to Top Printable version View Capt.Wayne's Profile Search for other posts by Capt.Wayne

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: December 28 2013 at 10:44 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

I was going to make a post but the image upload doesn't work. And since the post doesn't make any sense without the picture I'm giving up on that post. This forum is getting very wacky.

Dave: As long as this forum is limited to Boat US members only it will never recover. Boat US Members are only a tiny fraction of the Connie owners. I'm still working on trying to set up an alternative site.

The software to set up a forum can be purchased for less than $200 and there are some good forums out there set up with $200 software. Unfortunately they aren't about Connies.

The problem is that I'm not sure I want to take on the job of running a forum.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on December 28 2013 at 11:28

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 28 2013 at 12:33 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Hello All,

Pete you above all knows the work it takes to start a new forum. I
think we should work with what we have. We stay with boat US
because we value the towing service. I believe you can simply join for
$15.   If you have a Connie just look at it as membership dues. The
information a have received her is invaluable as a newer owner.

Looks unanimous for Fort Myers as a area fit to spend some time in.
We packed up my storage space into the van and are ready to hit the
waterways again in the morning. Our goal is to spend New Year's Eve
with some loopers we have met along the way in St Joeseph. FLa...

We will wait there until an opening presents itself to cross and move to
Carrebelle as our launch site. Hopefully we will have a couple days to
rent a car with our fellow travelers to boogy back and collect our
vehicles.

Miss Donna's blog "Driving Miss Donna.com". Seems to be popular.
She is also a big hit on the radio with the tug operators. She loves that
stuff and I am more than willing to let her enjoy.

Santa bought us some Simultalk wireless 2-way radios. ( think I would
rather have gotten some new dock lines Santa). What? I can't yell
anymore?

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: December 28 2013 at 15:10 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Pat and Donna,

The membership fee is chicken-feed but to a casual browser it's a drop dead turn off. So we never convert the casual browser into a forum member. That's why the fee is a forum killer.

Last year I bought a Bombay Taxi Horn at a local novelty shop and hooked it up to my regular air horn plumbing so that I can blow either horn. It looks like a small bugle twisted into a corkscrew shape. It's got a pleasant rumble and when people hear it they think it's a gas and blow their horns in response.

The bridge tenders, in particular, know it and wave as we go through. Sometimes they even open the bridge a bit early.

If you want everyone to know it's "Miss Donna" going by get a Bombay Taxi Horn.

Pete37

PS the Bombay Taxi Horn sounds like a cross between a fog horn and the Queen Mary's horn. It has a note of authority to it. It can also be blown by queezing on a rubber bulb.

You can get one at

http://www.musicoutfitters.com/ethnic/taxi.htm

Try the 2.75" Bell, 14" length Dobani Bulb Horn, Circular (BULH) for $23.

Polished brass, makes a novel table ornament. Great for calling the kids home for dinner.

Edited by Pete37 on December 28 2013 at 15:46

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: December 29 2013 at 10:52 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Wayne,

Good to here from you. In the spring I will look into getting a new Groco basket if the handle can not be re-attached. After winterizing I just wanted to return home.

If you have plans again to be in the New Jersey or Maryland area let me know. Enjoyed our time on your boat in Florida. Cocktails on our boat next time.

Back to Top Printable version View David Ross's Profile Search for other posts by David Ross

Capt.Wayne
"Seaman"

Posted: December 29 2013 at 12:04 | IP Logged Quote Capt.Wayne

Dave,
Thanks for the invite, probable won't be until next June on my way back to Maine for the summer. I'm happy with the plastic baskets, the handles don't separate and I through it in the dishwasher for cleaning.

Back to Top Printable version View Capt.Wayne's Profile Search for other posts by Capt.Wayne

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: December 29 2013 at 12:41 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Pat, Pete and all,

With the reasonable fee and especially considering how much Boat US has done and is doing for boaters and the boating community, I find it hard to believe a boater would not be a member of Boat US already.  Apparently that is not the case.

You would think anyone browsing the site who is interested in the chatter, input and/or Chris Craft Connies would join Boat US as needed. Our posts fell off awhile ago for various reasons. Maybe this site is not as interesting as it was. Hopefully, with more activity here it will help attract new members. We have covered many topics over the years specific to Connies rather than just chatter. Maybe not much left we haven't discussed and therefore not the great input as before and not much for new browsers to take in.

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: December 29 2013 at 13:22 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Hi Pat,

I'm sure all here would be interested in an update on your one engine runinng. Mph, mpg, gph, rpm, temperatures, etc. Also how long you ran on one engine, when you switched to the other engine, and when you ran on two engines. Any transmission, shaft or prop set up or problems, etc. Your prop size would also be helpful. And anything else you feel appropriate. I don't expect a reply right away. Continue on your cruise. Enjoy the New Year, Fort Meyers and the Florida weather!  

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: December 29 2013 at 13:49 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

Subject: Test of Picture Posting

All I get is the message above. How do I convert it to a picture? Does anyone know?

Pete37

PS: The picture above didn't show up until after I submitted and closed the post. Then I had to reopen the post and edit it to add text and other pictures. It works but is rather clumsy and you can't modify the size or position of the picture relative to the text

Edited by Pete37 on December 29 2013 at 16:39

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: December 29 2013 at 16:36 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

Subject: World Shale Oil Reserves

The picture from my previous post shows the world's shale oil reserves. These reserves which were not even known to exist five years ago nearly double the previously known world oil reserves.

What does this mean? It means that in a few years diesel fuel for our Connies will probably be selling for $2/gallon rather than $4/gallon (prices at a marine pump). And in five years possibly even as low as $1.00/galllon.

Doesn't seem possible does it? Yet that's what the predictions are. And these predictions come from reliable sources. Just do a search for "World Shale Oil Production" on the web and you'll get the full story.

It's hard to think that oil, which is presently considered an expensive resource in limited supply, will be so inexpensive and in nearly unlimited supply. It will take a while for your mind to grasp this drastic change in the situation.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on December 29 2013 at 16:52

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 30 2013 at 20:27 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Sorry I have not responded to many posts recently.

I became a grandfather for the first time yesterday. Cool stuff.

I have given up on freewheeling, as I realize saving a couple bucks on
fuel is not going to make up for having to rebuild a gearbox if one of
the experts is wrong. I like the control of twins and my auto pilot doe
not do well freewheeling.
We have been running about 1100 rpm and kicking it to 2000 rpm for
10 minutes every 3 hours or so. At 1100 I am at 180 degrees.
Much hotter is necessary, I'm not sure

Pete, can't wait for that $2 gallon fuel. I will run 2000 rpm all the
time, the engines love it. It quiets down nicely, letting you know,
that's just right.

And yes, I will try to get a funky horn section.

At Panama City tonight, either port st. H
John or Carrebelle tomorrow.

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: December 30 2013 at 20:34 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Captain Wayne,
Would deffinetly be interested in having a gulf coast Connie skippers
meeting. I will get in touch when we are "chillable"

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: December 31 2013 at 08:32 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Congratulation to Grandpa Pat!!!

And Happy New Year to all. May it be filled with health and calm seas.

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: December 31 2013 at 19:03 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Pat, Donna, Wayne and All,

Subject: Connies in the South

I did some checking in my records and find that there are 18 potential Connie Captains for your Gulf of Mexico region Connie group. Thatís almost as many as the 20 we have here in the Central Atlantic region. But donít expect them to all join your group. Nine of them have their Connies for sale on Yachtworld.

However, the remaining nine would make a good group if you can get them all interested. Also, eventually, all those Connies for sale will have new owners. But that will take several years and it may be difficult to find out who the new owners are.

Prices for Connies have really dropped in the last year. One Connie was offered for only $90K. Thatís the first I have ever seen for less than $100K. There are also still a few dreamers who think they can get $200K for their Connie.

And there are still some ďPermanently for SaleĒ Connies which have been on the market for more than five years (some ten years) and will probably never sell unless their owners have an epiphany.

Surprisingly, the Connie for sale at $90K didnít look too bad. But of course you really canít really tell from only a brokerís ad. Maybe Iíll buy the $90K Connie and have a Connie in the south for winters and a Connie in the north for summers. The only trouble with that is that the dockage and maintenance will eat you alive.

Anyway, Happy New Year everyone. Iím wishing you a better New Year than 2013 was.

Pete37

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 01 2014 at 07:29 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Happy New Years to all.

Pete, why did you have to mention a new horn? We talked about it two
days ago and yesterday my horn quit.
Co-incidents? I think not. Lol

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: January 01 2014 at 09:46 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Happy 2014 to all!

Pete, regarding your mentioning that 90k asking price for a Connie. Jim Radey's boat showed up on Yacht World for sale after his passing. I believe it was listed at 80k. Then it was off the site days after I first saw it. I assume it sold quickly. Also I seem to recall Emory posting one sold for 59k.   

On the other hand, there have been a few boats selling for better than the current market conditions. A couple examples: a  42' Tollycraft for 200k and a 1984 53' Hatteras for 259k. Boats getting good prices that I have seen sell and others I have heard about, all have three things going for them. Brand loyality (the buyer only wanted that particular manufacturer), they were in great condition and the sellers got lucky. 

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 01 2014 at 12:15 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Dave,

I said that the 90K Connie was the first I had seen for under $100K. If Jim Rabey's boat sold very quickly I probably just missed it.

There have been a couple basket case Connies that sold for scrap prices but I was referring only to the Connies in reasonable condition. There was one that burned in Boston, another that ran aground on the Great Lakes and sank and one here on the Chesapeake that succombed 15 years of severe neglect.

The latter stank so bad that the owner left the doors open all the time.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on January 01 2014 at 12:20

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 01 2014 at 12:38 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Pat and Donna,

Happy New Year.

No, I did not put a curse on your Connie's Horn. My cursing powers do not extend below the Mason-Dixon Line. And anyway I am only licensed to curse animate objects.

I replaced my old horn several years ago. It had a compressor in the engine room bilge and an air tank on the FB. It was a Buell horn and finally got past the point of repairability. I replaced it with a West Marine Dual Trumpet horn at about $150. It's much more reliable and I haven't had any problems with it.

But it doesn't have the pazazz of a Bombay Taxi Horn!

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on January 01 2014 at 12:40

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 01 2014 at 17:20 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

One more thing to fix Pete.you know the game.

We made Carrebelle Florida today.   The staging area to croos the gulf.

I would think a Connie in fair to good condition should bring around
120. Of courses, who knows what a person would pay. So many
variables.

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 01 2014 at 17:25 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

A fuel issue post

At 1900 rpm I was getting 15mph. At 2000rpm 18-20mph. It's just
that extra push that puts the bow down. Or is it that my trim tabs
need fluid or work?

I am willing to spend the $ on fuel and do a daylight fast crossing. I
am too old to pull an alnighter.

Furman1
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 01 2014 at 18:42 | IP Logged Quote Furman1

To All,
Happy New Year! I've have a couple of projects I've added to Lady.
1. I added a AB dingy with a 15 hp electric start motor to my extended (54") swim platform with a winch that pulls it on board. works great!
2. I added a "Follow-me-TV" with a direct TV dish (it works great)
3. I am adding a 40 inch TV to the upper salon moving the ice maker to the fly bridge cabinet.

If I can't sell it I'm going to make it a great live aboard.

Furman

Furman
Back to Top Printable version View Furman1's Profile Search for other posts by Furman1

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 03 2014 at 17:05 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Furman,

Congratulations! It looks like youíve had a change in heart about selling ďLadyĒ. I donít see her advertised on Yachtworld anymore and youíre now adding goodies to her. You must have decided to keep the old girl a few years more.

Connies are pretty nice yachts. To replace a Connie with a modern motoryacht of the same size and features would cost over a million dollars. The interest alone on the money you would have tied up in your new yacht would be nearly $100,000 per year.

So for most of us moving up to a new yacht is not a reasonable solution. Keep you old Connie and pump $50,000 into her (for a couple years) and youíll have one fine motoryacht.

Pete37

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 03 2014 at 17:09 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

I have only calculated my fuel burn at the 1000 to 1400 range. Does
anybody know what our boats do at 1800-2000rpm?

I know Pete has a formula that he uses. Can you share that info again
Pete? I was daydreaming that day in class.

I imagine its around 2.5 gallons per mile. Ouch.

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 03 2014 at 17:21 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Furman,

Subject: TV Lineup

The TV upgrades you mention in your last post are very similar to what I've been planning.

At the moment I have three TVs aboard. A 26Ē LCD TV in the lower salon, a 19Ē LCD in the upper salon TV and an old 15Ē tube type set in the master stateroom.

Iíve found that the lower salon is a much better location from which to watch TV. The upper salon is too bright for good TV watching and if the TV is mounted under the bar you have to watch the TV through your knee caps. Plus on a hot day itís much easier to keep the lower salon cool than the upper salon.

So I think Iíll move the 26Ē set up to the upper salon. It will be stored under the bar in the old TV cabinet and moved onto the top of the bar when I want to watch TV.

The 19Ē LCD TV presently in the upper salon will be moved to master stateroom for nighttime in-bed viewing. The old 15Ē tube type set will probably hit the trash can. It still works but has little value.

A new 40Ē TV will be mounted on top of the refrigerator cabinet in the lower salon. This will become the main TV room. Fortunately TV sets have become pretty cheap. Even a 40Ē model can be had for less than $400.

My boat is berthed in a covered slip and I think I could mount a satellite TV antenna on one of the pilings. If that isnít possible my foredeck has a clear view of the TV satellites. Either location would give me good TV programming when at my home dock.

We have cable TV wired into out docks so I can hook into that with just a coax cable. Unfortunately, the programming is rather poor.

When away from dock I have an omnidirectional TV antenna mounted on the FB. This picks up broadcast TV stations out to about 26 miles. But the only broadcast TV comes from a couple channels in Baltimore and again the programming is dismal.

So for TV watching away from home dock the Track-It-TV similar to your Follow-Me-TV seems to be the best choice. At about $1,000 (plus satellite charges) the Track-It-TV seems like a pretty good solution. You get most of the benefits of a 3D antenna system at a fraction of the cost. I think that Track-It-TV systems are going to pretty much replace the expensive 3D systems.

But Track-It-TV probably won't be aboard my Connie this year. I have too many other obligations on my recreational budget. My main improvement this year will be an inverter/charger system. I planned that for last year but didn't get it done.

Pete37

Furman1
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 03 2014 at 17:27 | IP Logged Quote Furman1

Pats2nd,
I have a flowscan tied to my autopilot DPGS and get about 1.5 to 1.7 mpg at 1100 rpm. This will give me a engine temp of about 1800 degrees in South Georgia and Florida waters. Like everyone else I run WOT for a few miles at the end of a day's running.
BTW I'm taking LADY to the Abaco's for about 3 months in April. A lot of the marina's have special rates for members of the Royal Marsh Harbor Yacht club. The joining fees are real low and the yearly are also. Anyone can join , just need a sponsor. Last year I paid $700 a month at Hope Town plus electrical and water.. The rates change from year to year.

Furman
Back to Top Printable version View Furman1's Profile Search for other posts by Furman1

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 03 2014 at 17:31 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Pat,

Subject: Connie Fuel Burn

At 2000 rpm a Connie makes a about 18 knots and burns about 40 gph. That works out to 2.22 gal/mile. Or at todays prices (about $4.00 per gallon) $8.88 per mile.

Now you know why nobody runs their Connie at 2000 rpm.

Pete37

PS: I don't use formulas to calculate fuel burns. I use the manufacturer's test data. BTW: Test data is usually reliable because manufacturers face major law suits for falsefied test data. So far the manufacturer's test data has predicted exactly what I actually get.

Edited by Pete37 on January 03 2014 at 17:46

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 03 2014 at 18:55 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Hello Pete,

We have decided that we get grouchy without sleep so a daytime fast
crossing is what we have chosen.   So to cross 164 statute miles with
12 hours of light, 10 of which is safe, an average of 16.4mph is
necessary.
Like I posted the day. If I go 1800-1900 we only achieve 15-16mph.
If I bump it up to 2000 we make 20 mph+.

Yes, I am still trying to rationilze this fuel burn to myself, but we
bought this boat, as opposed to a trawler, becouse it has the speed to
get us out of danger.    DARKNESS is danger.   

There is slow group leaving tomorrow that will do overnight with a pro
captain in lead. I have hooked up with a Canadian on a express
cruiser. We will anchor out close to the pass the night before and leave
at predawn.

A good friend of mine who I have helped from Daytona to Lake st.
Clair. He has many years of Florida yachting under his belt. (It
reassures the admiral). And me.

So Pete, will these ladies take 2000 rpm for 8 hours or so?

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 03 2014 at 19:51 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Friedman,

I would be concerned about the 1800 degree running temp. Here hee

Excited to hear about your Abaco's trip. I would love to hear how that
trip goes. I am already planning on doing the Keys next winter,
haven't even gotten to Tampa. We're close.

I like the lower salon for TV also. We have a 42" on top the cabinet of
the port side that is connected to whatever the dock supplies. Upper
salon has a 32" with Trac-vision. The TV sits on top the bar behind the
stairs. Miss Donna will not allow a TV in the stateroom. I'm fine with
that, even took out the one in there. Previous owner had one on the fb
even. I should put one in the engine room. I spend a lot of time
there.

Furman1
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 03 2014 at 20:33 | IP Logged Quote Furman1

We spent 6 weeks in Hope Town last year and enjoyed every minute of it. Stayed at the Hope Town Inn and Marina. Used it as a jumping off place for exploring the rest of the Islands. That's why we bought the new dingy.

Furman

]
] ]
150 Pages « 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version