View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Murray Chris Craft Constellations Post ReplyPost New Topic
150 Pages « 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 26 2013 at 20:36 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Pete, after running at lower rpm's I run the last 30 minutes of the day
at 1800 rpm. This supposed to clear the snot out. My helm gauges
are reading in the 175 -180 range while a hand held thermometer on
the engines I get 165 degrees. At 1800 rpm I get around 200 degrees
up top.
I have a lot of miles to go, I just want to run them correctly
Sitting at a beautiful anchorage 10 miles south of pickwick dam.

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 27 2013 at 16:37 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

Subject: Operating One Engine in the Freewheeling Mode to Save Fuel

I hate to drag out Barnabyís Figure 74 again but itís the key to understanding how to get good fuel efficiency out of your Connie.

Figure 74

The figure above comes from Basic Naval Architecture by Kenneth Barnaby.  He was an Honorary Vice President of the Royal Institution of Naval Architects at the time he wrote this book (1949).  Itís had six editions since then and my copy of the book is a sixth edition (1969).  One might think that a 64 year old book is out of date.  But even in 1949, naval architecture was a pretty well understood technology.  I also have a fair collection of naval architecture books such as The Propeller Handbook by Gerr (2001) but none of them change anything Barnaby wrote.

Basically the figure shows the specific resistance in Lbs. /Ton of Displacement on the vertical axis and the Speed Length Ratio (SLR) on the horizontal axis.  The SLR is just the speed of the boat (V) divided by the square root of the waterline length.  The waterline length of a Connie is about 46í and the square root of that is 6.78.

The figure has four curves.  The Del=150, the Del=250 and two frictional resistance curves.  At the speeds we are concerned with the frictional curves arenít important.  Del refers to the specific weight.  I wonít go into the details of its definition other than to say Del=150 refers to light boats and Del=250 to heavy boats.  At Del =248 our Connies are a pretty good match to the Del=250 curve.

Concentrating on the Del = 250 curve we see that the specific resistance starts very low on the left hand side, rises quickly near the middle and levels off on the right.  The name of the game in high efficiency cruising is to operate your boat on the left hand side of the curve (SLR less than 1.6).  The left hand side is what we call the displacement mode and the right hand side is known as the planing mode.

Ideally, we would like to stay completely out of the transition range (SLR=1.2 to 1.6).  To get speed out of SLR you multiply it by the square root of the waterline length (previously calculated as 6.78 for a Connie).  The transition range therefore corresponds to speeds of 8.1 to 12.2 knots.  Again, ideally, we would like to stay out of this range but practically the limitations of our Connies force us to operate in it most of the time.  For efficiency you want to stay as close to the left side (V= 8.1 knots) of the transition range as possible.  RPM wise the transition range starts at about 1000 rpm and ends at about 1600 rpm (assuming twin engine operation). 

But operationally a pair of Detroit 6V92s wonít reach proper operational temperature (170F to 190F) until about 1400 rpm.  This leaves a very narrow range 1400 to 1600 rpm in which to do most of your long range cruising.  One can, of course operate below 1400 rpm for short periods but on a long term basis low rpm running causes the rapid buildup of soot and acids in the exhaust system components which include the exhaust manifolds, risers, turbos and exhaust pipes.  Repairs are very expensive.

When running on two engines at 1400 rpm the boat reaches 10.5 knots at 14 gph with burn rate of 0.75 nautical miles per gallon (nmpg).  The specific resistance is 130 lbs/ton which is at the top end of the transition range where the curve begins to flatten out.

However, if one engine is shifted to the freewheeling mode the boat drops down to about 9.1 knots (SLR=1.34) at 1400 rpm with a fuel consumption of 7.0 gph.  This gives a burn rate of 1.3 nmpg.  The specific resistance is about 65 lbs/ton (half the two engine resistance).

So by shutting down one engine and putting it in the freewheeling mode we are operating the boat at a lower speed (and lower specific resistance) which cuts our fuel consumption by half.  It is tempting to lower the engine speed even more to further save fuel.  But that also decreases the engine temperature and can lead to very expensive repairs.

And due to the very sharp drop off of the SLR curve we have only sacrificed (10.5-9.1) = 1.4 knots (13%) of the speed.

There are however, some drawbacks.  Operating on one engine may make the boat difficult to maneuver.  But at least with one engine freewheeling (rather than locked) it can be quickly brought back on line if an emergency occurs.  A second drawback is that you have to believe TwinDiscs statements about the safety of freewheeling.  But if they say itís safe it probably is..  And a third problem is that you have to be careful not to overheat the transmissions.  That shouldnít be a problem as long as the transmissions are freewheeling.

Over the years Iíve made many plans to take my Connie to Florida for the winter.  Itís a1000 mile trip and even at 10 knots it takes about 1400 gallons of fuel which at todayís prices around $4.00 per gallon costs about $5,600.  Add to that about 10 days in-transit dockage at $100 per night brings the cost up to$6,600.  And then figure five months of dockage in Florida at about $1,000 per month and itís up to $11,600.  And we shouldnít forget the trip back at another $6,600.  That brings the grand total to $18,200.  Frankly it doesnít sound like a very grand total; it sounds like a dismal total.

This freewheeling trick, if it works, could save about $5,600 dropping the cost to $12,600.  Thatís a major cost reduction but still a fairly miserable total.  Anyway now you know why Iíve never made the trip.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on October 28 2013 at 11:17

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 27 2013 at 17:59 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Not even once Pete? What great info Pete. I am going for the fuel
savings. I will let you know the results. Will auto pilot work well while
freewheeling? Both Donna and I are loving the adventure, she has
been an awesome deck boss, safety officer, helmsman, eh eh, woman.
Not to mention chief cook and bottle washer.
Back to the temp gauge issue. Both helms are reading in the 185
range at 1100 but the infrared handheld around 164. I will buy a new
handheld tomorrow as we are taking a couple days rest. I use the
word rest sparingly. Here's to freewheeling and you.
Cheers.

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 27 2013 at 18:14 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

By the way Pete, this is a one way journey for us. In a couple years
we hope to buy another boat for Lake Michigan's summers.

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 28 2013 at 00:05 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Pat,

I've been down the ICW several times but only as far as Myrtle Beach.  We used to winter there. Myrtle Beach was an easy one day drive from MD so we could pop down there for a week and return easily.  It was warmer than the Chesapeake but we gave it up because it was still too cold.

BTW: Infrared pyrometers are handy devices for spotting hot spots but don't give accurate engine readings.  They read the surface temps but all the operational specs are based on the internal temps in the cooling water passages.  Surface temps tend to be several degrees cooler.  But the huge 21 degree difference you are seeing indicates something's wrong with your pyrometer.  185F is about right for your engines.

As I remember from the time when I lived in Rochester, NY summers in the Great Lakes are very short.  Say starting July 31st and ending August 1st.

Let me know how your boat handles when operating on a single engine.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on October 28 2013 at 00:17

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 28 2013 at 07:30 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Pete, You are right about the Lake Michigan summers, hence my move
south. The winters take up the remainder of the year.
I was trying to find your post regarding stuffing box hose replacement.
Mine are deffinetly in need of replacement and I was planning on doing
that when we pull the boat in Gulf Shores to reprint bottom. I think the
only mantainence the perilous owner did was install Trac Vision. Which
is nice but doesn't float the boat

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 28 2013 at 10:59 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Pat,

Subject: Stuffing Box Hose Replacement

It's going to be hard for you to find my article on stuffing box hose replacement because I never wrote one.  I did replace the stuffing box hose clamps but never replaced the hoses.  That's a complicated task which woulld require hauling the boat and pulling the drive shafts. However, once the shafts are pulled replacing the hoses is pretty straightforward. 

I've also been toying with replacing the stuffing box packing but haven't done that yet.  Perhaps next summer.  Make sure you replace the packing while you have the drive shafts out.

Have a pleasant winter in Fla.  Once you've been there for a while I think you'll decide to give the Great Lakes region back to the Indians.

I spent the early years of my life in New Jersey and New England.  Jersey wasn't bad but New England was for the birds (penguins).  Maryland has a pleasant climate except for January and February.  We abandon Maryland in those months and hang out in our time-shares on the east coast of Fla.

Pete37

PS:  What's the name of your boat and the names that past owners used?  I'll see what data I can find on it.

Edited by Pete37 on October 28 2013 at 11:12

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: October 28 2013 at 11:39 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Hi Pat and Donna,

I am following Driving Miss Donna on line and enjoying your adventure, comments and pictures! Have a great cruise. This site has been a good source of information, glad you found it.

Back to Top Printable version View David Ross's Profile Search for other posts by David Ross

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 28 2013 at 13:04 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Pete, just got off the phone with a tech from Twin Disc. He said no
freewheeling over 4 mpg. Basically sloshing is enough to cool the
plates and bearings.   Looks like am back to running at 8-9 knots at
1100 rpm and running them hard for the last 30 minutes. Bought a
new infrared thermometer so I well get a better handle on what's
happening down there.

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 28 2013 at 13:05 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Pete, just got off the phone with a tech from Twin Disc. He said no
freewheeling over 4 mph. Basically sloshing is enough to cool the
plates and bearings.   Looks like am back to running at 8-9 knots at
1100 rpm and running them hard for the last 30 minutes. Bought a
new infrared thermometer so I well get a better handle on what's
happening down there.

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 28 2013 at 15:11 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Pat,

Subject: Beware  a Tech's Verbal Comments

What the tech says doesn't make sense. A tranny in neutral turning over slowly due to freewheeeling shouldn't be hot so there's nothing to cool.  And if what he says is true then TwinDisc's written statements in the manual are wrong.  Get the tech's name and phone number so we can square this with TwinDisc managemment.

In the meantime don't freewheel.

Pete37

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 28 2013 at 16:51 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Pat,

Subject: Freewheeling

I talked to Rick Lund at TwinDiscís plant in Wisconsin.  Heís apparently the chief engineer for the transmissions.  He says that 5 minutes of running in neutral should keep the transmission properly lubricated for 8 hours just as the manual says.  The sticky point is that he doesnít know how hot the tranny will get when freewheeled.  Theyíve built thousands of these trannys but never tested that. Amazing!  He also says that if the tranny stays below 100C (the temp of boiling water) everything should be OK. 

So the obvious answer is to sit on the transmission while itís freewheeling and if it burns your butt itís getting too hot.  However, since you have a brand new optical pyrometer a more sophisticated way to do the job would to be read the tranny temp with the pyrometer.  He says that 150F to 180F is OK; above that youíve got problems.  So Iíve given you a way to use your brand new optical pyrometer and advance the state of the art of technology at the same time.  Rick and I will be anxiously awaiting your report.

Pete37

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 28 2013 at 19:30 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

So it's ok for me to get hemorrhoids sitting on my tranni's? You
cracked us up. I will give it a try with Donna at the helm in a long
stretch while I am in the engine room and see. Testing the pyrometer
along side my original provided the same results. At least now i know.
I will play guinee pig and let you and Twin Disc know how this
experiment works out. WTH.   $$$$$$$$

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 28 2013 at 21:42 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Along with all that Pete, I want to thank you for takin g the time to
research this. Thank You.

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 29 2013 at 09:39 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

We're doing it Pete. So far so good. 122 is the hottest reading on the
gear box and the oil on the running engine is at 199. Will continue to
monitor situation. We also started on a fresh tank so we can track fuel
burn. :-))

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 29 2013 at 17:07 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Pat,

Subject: Tranny Temps

It sounds encouraging.  What rpm was the active engine running at and what speed was the boat running at (knots)?  Use the GPS speed if you have one.  Try to take a bunch of readings and record them.  Each reading should have the time, active engine rpm, boat speed, and tranny temp.

How is the boat handling?  Do you have any problems holding course?  Are there any unusual noises or vibrations?  Do you have a thermometer that you could use to record engine room temps?  Is the active engine running at normal temps and oil pressures? Keep track of your fuel consumption too,

Keep up the good work and godspeed.

Pete37

PS: 199F sounds a bit hot for the active engine.

Edited by Pete37 on October 29 2013 at 17:18

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 29 2013 at 22:00 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

I did notice that I have advanced to seaman. I was thinking maybe a
new category, say maybe, assistant chief science officer?
Great day of boating. We generally ran at 1400 rpm, normally 9 mph
just as Pete predicted. Running engine ran at 180 degrees at the hot
end of the thermostat. Freewheeling tranny was at 122 at the bell
housing which is closest to the warmed engine. Fantastic

Ready for the bottom line? Me too. We are staying put for a couple
days in Columbus then we will fill the tank we used today. However,
by using the gauge I calculate we ran at 1.85mpg. !!!! Yeah, I'm
dancing.

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 29 2013 at 22:17 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Also, I thought 199 was high. I went down to the 185-190 range
shooting at the oil filter or oil pan. Is there something I should look at?

eshover
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 29 2013 at 22:38 | IP Logged Quote eshover

Interesting Pat. I find it interesting the with both engines
running at 1400-1450 rpm, I achieve 10-11 kts. When I
run on one engine at 1400-1450, I achieve 9-10 kts.
(Knots NOT MPH. Did you mean MPH?).

I once developed an engine malfunction and had to run on
one engine up the Chesapeake Bay from Reedville Virginia
to Stafford County Virginia. We ran the entire trip at about
8-9 kts. The handling was not adverse with the exception
of nearing the mouth of the Potomac River. At that point I
had to counter steer quite a bit for the cross current. But
once up the Potomac a few miles it was very calm and I
was able to set the auto pilot and maintain a heading.

Please keep records. I would be nice if you maintained a
lot on excel or some such program that you could down
load to us for review. Your data will be extremely
appreciated.

Emory

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 30 2013 at 08:18 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Hello Emory, I am talking MPH. I find manual helm tedious running a
single engine so "Auto" comes in handy. Rudder is to starboard about
15 degrees. We went through 3 locks yesterday so it was nice to be
able to bring the other engine online when needed.
I will see if Miss Donna can help me with the record keeping as I am
not too computer savvy.
Our next travel day is Friday we will run the port engine that day. As
Chief Fun Officer, I have declared today "Funday". We will go for a
bike ride, do some Paddleboarding and head into town to see some
sights.

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: October 30 2013 at 11:58 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Hi Pat,

As mentioned a few posts back I am enjoying your adventure on your Cruising Miss Donna site. Also following the chat here on Boat US. Interesting to hear how your Chris is running and the different approaches you are trying. Keep us posted and calm seas to you.

Back to Top Printable version View David Ross's Profile Search for other posts by David Ross

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 30 2013 at 18:41 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Hi Dave, Donna is running that show, although I share pics. The girl is
loving this trip. Which makes my life easier.

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 30 2013 at 18:50 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

For added info on the freewheeling experiment;

I was running at varying depths from. 11'-30'. I must admit I was
more concerned about playing Sitting Bull on my tranny than keeping
notes.   I see the value in keeping a log on this and I will in the future.

Pete, I was fortunate that the perilous owner did the tranny service as
my gear oil is crystal clear. UNfornunately no receipts or records.

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 30 2013 at 22:58 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

"Now is the time for all god men to come to the aid of their country. The quick red fox jumped over the lazy brown dog." Just testing.

Henry Ford said you could have a Model T in any color you wanted as long as it was black. Apparently on this new forum you can have any font or size characters as long as they are arial, super small and not more than 40 characters per line.

I feel like I'm writing on my old Trash-80 Radio Shack computer from back in the 60s. Remember them?

Oh well, this forum is now useless for technical talk but it can probably be used for "tweets and twitters" when we are trying to get in touch with one another.

I had a good tech discussion on the progress on single engine cruising but it's pointless to try to post it here. My doc says I still have 20-20 vision but at 18" from my 22" hi-res monitor I find this very uncomfortable to read.

I'm still working on finding a new site for the Connie Forum. The first one has turned out to have a lot of technical glitches. I just noticed that this site is chopping off the first character of every line. But perhaps they'll show up in the final posted version. This site also doesn't seem to recognize paragraph breaks.

The second site "The Trawler Forum" looks very promising. A crowd of boat owners who like to talk technical and are constantly building and rebuilding their yachts. They are a bit overzealous about security though. I used to visit ICBM silos back in my military days with shorter passwords than they use.

I haven't vetted it yet but it looks promising. I'm also thinking about setting up our own forum. Don't like the idea much though; too much work.

I'll stop by and twitter to you occasionally on this site but don't ask for any tech advice. I'll do that on another site where I don't get bleary eyed trying to read the tiny text.

Pete37

PS: Surprise! the lines came out at what looks like 80 characters long. Don't know why but they did. They only show up 40 characters long on the editing frame. If we are going to publish them 80 characters long why not make the editing frame 80 characters long. But they're still super small. The paragraph breaks also showed up. They didn't in previous attempts.

Edited by Pete37 on October 31 2013 at 11:33

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 31 2013 at 06:19 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Testing, 1-2-3
31_061846_image.jpg">

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: October 31 2013 at 08:00 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Pete,

I changed my Allison transmission fluid the first time years ago. As I recall, draining the fluid took awhile using a tube down the dipstick via a pump mounted on a bucket set-up. I seem to remember something had to be slightly adjusted inside the fillter container housing when I replaced one of the filters, possibly a screen... not sure of this, like I said it was a long time ago.

My records show the transmisson uses the same fluid as the engines, in my case 40 weight diesel oil; capacity 10 quarts; filter D/D (J&T) #235 19150.

The transmission fluid and filters have been replaced more recently but I had it done with some other maintenance. 

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 31 2013 at 11:09 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Dave,

Subject: Fluid Extractors

Everything you say about the trannys seems to be correct. I use a special suction pump to drain my trannys. It's called a Moeller Fluid Extractor, works through the dipstick hole but does the job pretty well with minimal mess. West Marine calls it an Oil Extractor (p606) and it costs $90. Expensive but you only have to buy it once and it does a good job.

I've finally figured out how to set the type font and size. Tedious but it works.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on October 31 2013 at 11:31

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 31 2013 at 19:16 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Pete I inadvertently ended up flushing to cooling system on the strbd
engine which I was running while freewheeling.
First I noticed a drip on the fresh water side up front. I could halve
just put a new hose clamp on it, but no.   I said to myself, might as
replace the hose, which lead to the other end of the pipe hose and
clamp. After that was off, I saw another 1" hose that the hoses and
pipes looked funky, so I took them off. Oops! I mean, Oh sh*t! Might
as well flush it out and replace the other hoses on that system. I had
them and the clamps on board. Why not?
Anyways got it all done and running leak free for tomorrow's run.

Moral of the story? It's never just a hose clamp.

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: October 31 2013 at 19:35 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Hi Pete,

When you use the Post Replay section there is a box that says font size. Click on it and choose one of the seven sizes. This is 4, this is 3 and this is 2 (which I usually use). There is also a font type box to the left of font size. You have other choices as well, bold, underline,etc. 

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 03 2013 at 09:07 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Good morning all.

We topped off the saddle tanks that we were using for freewheeling
yesterday. They took 160 gallons that brought us 180 statue miles.
So 1.125 mpg. Dismal compared to what I expected. We were
running at 1400 rpm and making 9 knots on average. A few locks ,
passed barges, wind and current along the way. At locks and barge
passing I would fire up the other engine for control and speed.
One variable I am uncertain of is how much fuel goes back to the stern
tanks via the return line. I suppose running from the stern tanks
would give more accurate results.

Bottom line is I am heating up the engines to the proper temps and
saving some fuel in the long run.

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 03 2013 at 09:10 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Hi Pete ,
In response to your question of my Connie's names.
She is now Miss Donna, was Cash Flow and before that Joe Bin.

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 03 2013 at 12:29 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Pat,
Subject: Comparing Two Connies
I have ďMiss DonnaĒ in my records as ďCash FlowĒ with a full color brokerís spread. I didnít find ďMiss DonnaĒ in the CG records so I guess you didnít document her. Sheís pretty much the same as our (Arlene and I) ďInterludeĒ except that sheís a 1986 boat and Interlude is a 1987. Yours has a head tub while ours has a shower. And ours has a third stateroom rather than a den/office. The furniture is of course quite different but we have pretty much the same pieces; just different upholstery.
The original Connies had two built-in tube type TV sets; one in the upper salon and one in the lower salon next to the dinette. Ours burned out years ago and were replaced with flat screen TVs. I see that yours have too. We put our new lower salon TV on top of the fridge and the upper salon TV is stored under the bar when not in use and placed on top of the bar when we are using it. Your master stateroom is the same as ours except that yours has a red bedspread and we have a grey one.
Your flybridge is enclosed while we have ours fully covered but not enclosed. I think thatís because we have a slightly warmer climate here than you did in Kentucky. April and October are the only months here where an enclosure is really needed.
I see you have an inverter.   Iím working on one but havenít installed it yet. Iím planning on four golf cart batteries rather than six. My numbers say I donít need more than four but if Iím wrong I can add some. The big job will be wiring it into the boatís electrical system.
My boat is in Maryland and I plan to stay here while you are going to settle in Florida so I guess we will never see each otherís boats but we can correspond on the forums. You must be there by now. Have a pleasant winter. Weíll be in Fort Lauderdale Florida for February but not with our boat. Perhaps weíll meet at the Miami Boat Show.
Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on November 03 2013 at 12:42

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 03 2013 at 12:49 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Pat,

This forum isn't working very well. Try to contact me on www.trawlerforum.com.

Pete37

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: November 07 2013 at 11:41 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Pete, what did you mean when you wrote "This forum isn't working very well")? I assume you are referring the lack of participation and that you now have to be a Boat US member.

eshover
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 07 2013 at 11:49 | IP Logged Quote eshover

Pat - not sure why you find your burn rate dismal. Keep in
mind, you're still not a trawler by design. It appears that
you're burning around 8 gph on one engine. By Pete's
estimation you are burning a little more than half of the
burn rate with two engines and only achieve 2 more knots
(figures approx). Keep in mind, you are pushing 54,000
lbs of vessel which constantly wants to "squat" and get on
plane. I really appreciate your record keeping and look
forward to more results. My wife is retiring in Jan and
within the next two seasons my move the boat south as
well. Running on one engine will surely save a ton of $$$
on fuel cost versus on plane or even two engines. It also
appears that your engine temp rises while running on one,
which is a good thing.
Keep us posted. If you go to another forum let me/us
know.

Emory

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 07 2013 at 11:58 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Hello Emory, I was just hoping for something ridicules like 2mpg.
Haha. The main idea was to increase engine temps to 180 ish. Helm
is a little odd.
On a more urgent matter. While I am running today on the port
engine, I went down for a check of temps. One side is about
20degrees hotter. I have shut it down and am running on the
starboard.   Any ideas?   Also I have been on the trawler forum with
Pete lately, lots of good info.

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: November 07 2013 at 13:39 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Hi Pat, first pass on to Donna how much I am enjoying her comments and pictures on on her Driving Miss Donna site! Also mention I am a fellow Chris 500 owner which makes it all the more interesting for me.

Regarding your one engine running 20 degrees hotter. Of course the obvious things such as a clogged sea strainer, less than full water discharge from the exhuast (worn impellor) and low water in the heat exchanger come to mind. Other possibilities a clogged water cooler or a bad water circulator pump. I assume the the temperature was ok before you noticed it was 20 degrees hotter. Are you running with antifreeze in the cooling sytem? Hopefully you have the problem diagnosed already. Let us know how ou make out.

Pats2nd Connie
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 07 2013 at 15:25 | IP Logged Quote Pats2nd Connie

Hi David, glad your enjoying Donna's blog.
My temp difference is not between the two engines, although there's
that too. It is the two different sides of one engine. I am thinking that
the cooler side may a have a stuck thermostat.

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 07 2013 at 19:14 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Pat,

A couple weeks ago I received an email from Boat US indicating that they thought the members of our forum were a bunch of ignorant slobs who were slinging around filthy language. The said that was why they had to require Boat US membership. They made it quite clear that they wished us to be gone.

After that I kept finding reductions in the capabilities of the site such as smaller fonts. And in some cases if my posts were long they were simply deleted.

There doesn't seem to be any future for the Boat US Manufacturer's Forums and therefore I've been trying to find another forum to migrate to.

I've tried three so far that didn't seem to have the features we need. The fourth "The Trawler Forum" seems pretty good and I'm now suggesting we transfer our forum posts to it.

Swing over to www.trawlerforum.com and take a look. It's free and no membership is required. Hope to see you on the Trawler Forum soon.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on November 07 2013 at 19:16

Capt.Wayne
"Seaman"

Posted: November 07 2013 at 19:49 | IP Logged Quote Capt.Wayne

Hi Pete,

There is no question there have been members of our form who no longer have access. I personally would not want to remain on a site if the administration were to stoop to slander. Could you post the email you received from Boat US on the form for everyone to see, or if not you can just send it to me, and I'll post it for you.  My email is awashby@aol.com

Back to Top Printable version View Capt.Wayne's Profile Search for other posts by Capt.Wayne

]
] ]
150 Pages « 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version