View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Murray Chris Craft Constellations Post ReplyPost New Topic
150 Pages « 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 01 2011 at 23:09 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

Subject: To Prime or Not to Prime

I don't think anyone, including me, said the generator has to be primed after changing the on-engine fuel filter. I don't prime after changing the main engine fuel filters either. But it can be primed, if necessary, and the procedure is in the manual. 

BTW:  According to the manual the on-engine fuel filter has both primary and secondary filters.  That may seem strange to you Emory but that's what the manual says.  And it makes sense since not all generators have Racor filters in line with the on-engine filter.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on November 01 2011 at 23:15

TStellato
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 02 2011 at 05:46 | IP Logged Quote TStellato

Jim - I sent you my email.  Thanks!

The gennie stopped because we had the saddle tanks open to use the fuel and the fuel must be bad, even with the additives to keep the algee away.  We closed the saddle tanks and had to change out 2 more filters before it would stay on.

We are going to have the fuel polished and the tanks cleaned in the spring and then leave them empty.

Back to Top Printable version View TStellato's Profile Search for other posts by TStellato

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: November 02 2011 at 12:08 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Pete, Jim And all,

Maybe the wording on Pete and Jim's posts to Mark on October 30th was confusing to me or I took it out of context. It sure appeared to me Pete's words "priming the system is a little tricky" right under the picture of the engine mounted fuel filter and the previous discussion indicated a need for it to be primed. It also seemed clear to me that Jim said in his post about the same filter "the genny will need priming". I don't want this to turn into a battle of words, so let it suffice that our systems and circumstances can vary and you do what you have to do.

Jim, I'm still confused as to your stating I said the generator draws from the saddle tank. Again, I know that mine and the norm is it pulls from the aft port tank only.

Back to Top Printable version View David Ross's Profile Search for other posts by David Ross

eshover
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 02 2011 at 12:10 | IP Logged Quote eshover

To Pete - Wow. As I have said many times, you learn
something new every day, or at least you should. That's
good info. I guess mine has lasted for many years due to
the Racor primary I have installed on my boat. Kind of a
testament to Racor filters I guess.

Vicki - if you are going to the expense of having your tanks
cleaned (a very good idea) and given how you and Big T
operate the girl, my suggestion would be to rotate between
aft and forward tanks between cruises. That will help to
keep clean fuel in all tanks.   I also remember your fuel
manifold system is different from mine, but I still believe
that your genny runs off the port aft tank (please feel free
to correct me on this), this would negate the issue of bad
fuel originating from the saddle tanks. I would be
interested to know if you boats generator will draw from
more than the aft port tank? I sure wish mine would. If
you do not have a Racor primary filter on your genny, it
may well be worth the investment since you are, more or
less, running as a commercial operation.

Just my two cents!   

Emory

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 02 2011 at 12:37 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Vicki & Tony,

If the fuel in the saddle tanks is bad it should have shown up in the Racor (if you have a genny Racor).  When you say you replaced two more filters were they Racor filters or on-engine filters?  If it was two Racors you really had a swamp in the bottom of your saddle tanks.  And if it's that bad the main tanks may need some attention too.

It's a good idea to keep your saddle tanks operational.  If you get a bad load of fuel at a marina they provide a backup to get you home.  Towing is very expensive.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on November 02 2011 at 12:40

Delaware Jim
"Navigator"

Posted: November 02 2011 at 12:48 | IP Logged Quote Delaware Jim

David,

I went back to the post and acknowledge I grossly mispoke about what you said.  I got apples, oranges and watermellons confused.  Please accept my apology for mis-spealing and attributing to you.

Vicki, 

I forwarded the note to your e-mail account.

All,

The two times I have changed out the on engine filter, I have had to prime the system after installing the filter.  I did not prefill the filter (can someone explain how, please).  The experience was something of a "non-event" taking less than 5 minutes each time.  I am glad to hear it CAN be done without re-priming...

Jim

TStellato
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 02 2011 at 22:08 | IP Logged Quote TStellato

Our Genny draws from the starboard aft (goofy isn't it LOL!).  On that particular day, we had opened up the saddle tanks to use the fuel before it got bad.  oops it already had.  Even with the stablizer stuff.  We think that the tanks are in need of a good cleaning.  When we got the boat, there was about a quarter tank in each of the forward tanks.  We treated it and then let it flow a little bit at a time to mix with the aft fuel.  We had no problems.  The tanks were infected more than we thought.  This last time, we had 3/4 in one side and 1/2 in the other side.  It was too much to try and mix in with the cleaner aft fuel.  We will have to have the fuel polished and the tanks really cleaned out.

We cannot pick just to use the saddle tanks.  To use the fuel in the saddle tanks, we have to open up the values to let it flow into the aft tanks and then it levels the fuel between saddle and aft.  We went nuts trying to find the values to do this when we first got the boat.  Everyone told us they were under the first step going down to the aft area or on the back wall of the engine room.  Our values are located under the bed in the master.  You have to slide back the mattress and lift the board at the head of the bed to get to them. and then they are located down in the bilge area, so you have to lean all the way in the hole to do this.  Not very convenient.

Since we were the first completed Connie, I am sure that we are more like the last few 46 Uniflites built than we are the Connies.  Subtle little differences and finishes. 

We have painted doors inside instead of the varnished.

A pocket door to the office (which I love the room it saves)

Parquay floors in the lower salon, except in the middle where the big hatches are. That is a bummer, because it is off center and has just plywood there and to have just a carpet piece there would look funny we think.  although the berber carpet did not hold up on traffic stains and we are thinking about pulling it all up, except for that area.

We have parquay floors in the upper salon all around the upper helm and entry way, with no grates.  This I really like because you don't get the traffic pattern on the heavily traveled spot in front of the wet bar.

We have a double bed in the forward guest stateroom and there is no sign of the trash compactor ever being there, so that area in the galley is another cabinet for food.

We also have some steps that open up that others do not.

So as we all have found out, these were not production boats just popped out as multiples.  Each boat seems slightly different.  Even down to the position of the arch on the bridge.

Back to Top Printable version View TStellato's Profile Search for other posts by TStellato

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 02 2011 at 23:49 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

Subject: Carpets

Our Connie came with carpets throughout.  No parquet except in the galley.  Frankly I prefer carpet because it gives better footing.  But it’s a matter of preference and in our case we didn’t have any choice since that’s the way the boat came from the factory.

The original factory carpet wasn’t really top grade and by 2003 (16 years) it was beginning to look a little shoddy.  So in June 2003 we replaced it with a better grade of carpet from Mohawk.  Initially we cleaned the carpet periodically with carpet cleaning machines rented at Safeway.  But the problem with the rented machines was that they were too big and clumsy for the confined spaces in a boat.  So in 2005 I bought a small Dirt Devil carpet cleaner.  It did a good job and was easy to use in tight quarters but in 2010 it crapped out.  A valve buried deep in the guts of the machine malfunctioned.  I disassembled and tried to repair it four times but never got it working right.  In the meantime the carpet was getting dirtier and dirtier.

So last week I bit the bullet and bought a Hoover Quick & Light carpet cleaner at Kmart.  It cost only $89 and was very similar to the old Dirt Devil.  Today I got it out and cleaned the upper salon carpet.  It did a good job and it looks like the upper salon carpet (which is eight years old now) will last at least another eight years.

The lower salon carpet is beyond cleaning due to oil stains which occurred during some engine overhauls back in 2004.  You can’t get oil stains out of carpet.  But I modified the carpet for easier engine access in 2005 and since I can now easily peel the carpet in the lower salon back when working on the engines there should not be any repetition of oil stains on the carpet.  Anyway the lower salon carpet is scheduled for replacement this winter.

I find that by having the carpet cleaner available at all times the carpet gets cleaned more often.  And of course it’s much cheaper.  Hiring professionals to clean your carpet probably does a better job but it’s expensive.  For really nasty stains I use a product called “Spot Shot” which is available at True Value hardware stores.  It’s great but too expensive for area cleaning.

Some of you may want to use a small carpet cleaner for maintenance cleaning and have a professional cleaning done every couple years.

Pete37

Delaware Jim
"Navigator"

Posted: November 03 2011 at 14:12 | IP Logged Quote Delaware Jim

Tony & Vicki,

Yep, you have confirmed you have several significant differences from our boat (Hull # 16, the last one laid by Uniflite before Dale Murray purchased Uniflite in late 1984).

A thought on your fuel line plumbing: the Detrit Diesels pump much more fuel than actually consumed in order to cool the injectors and returns this "warmer" fuel to the tank.  The standard rule of thumb is to always return the fuel to the same tank that it was pulled from to avoid overflowing a tank by returning fuel to an already full tank.  This practice also maintains separation if one tank becomes contaminated.  The standard crossover is typically marked "EMERGENCY CROSSOVER" (mine is...) so that you are not mixing fuel between tanks without knowledge and contaminating both tanks...  You may want to do some added checking to see how the fuel return lines are plumbed to avoid any nasty tank overflows!

Your comment on the fore-aft location of the radar arch is also interesting.  Your boat and mine (and I think all "1985" models of the 500 Connie) has the arch further aft (over the upper salon window) while later 500's have the arch moved forward so the the arch is over the panel in front of the upper salon window (maybe 10"-12" or so farther forward).  I personally like the arch farther back for visual and practical purposes - I do not have a bimini behind the arch and the aft placement gives me more shade coverage...

I also have a single ("tapered double") berth forward without the upper bunk.  With that arrangement, I am not at all sure there is the needed depth in the galley cabinets (opposite the berth) to install a trash compactor. The "tapered double" is kinda of a tight squeezr for two adults, but kids do very well in this.  BTW, we figured a use for all the open space above the double berth - we installed a closet pole and hang our out of season clothing there.  You need to stand on the berth to hang stuff (or to access the large storage shelf up there), but it works very well for us.

Finally, where are the "storage steps" in your boat located?  I have one in the top step from the lower salon to the upper salon - only one I know about... should I be looking for others?  :-)

Thanks for your comments!

Jim 

Edited by Delaware Jim on November 03 2011 at 14:22

TStellato
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 04 2011 at 18:38 | IP Logged Quote TStellato

On the carpets...I made the mistake of choosing Berber carpet for the boat.  I never had Berber, but was told that it lasts a lifetime... That said, perhaps if you choose a very dark color of Berber it lasts.  My problem is not with it wearing out, but with the stains that are deep within.  We have a carpet steamer on board and pre-soak the stains and clean the carpets every few months.  With the Berber, the dort gets trapped deep down in the tight weave and NEVER comes out.  A short pile shag would have been a better bet. 

But when we had the carpets laid down, we covered over the hardwood in the lower salon and had it "pieced".  on the flat parts it is tacked down on the sides.  But on the hatched we had it nailed down and edged so that when you lift the hatch for the engine room it comes up.  on the big area with the 3 sections for the complete engine access, we have the padding nailed down on the boards, but the carpet is edged so we roll up that section to be able to lift off the hatches.  Sounds confusing but it works to access the main engine hatch, the gennie hatch and the full 3 hatches if needed.

Jim,  I made the "office" my closet.  I took the area over the couch and Tony hung a rod and then supported it the full length.  My shoes and such fit great on the shelves and the other side is for the paperwork.  Guests still have the forward stateroom to use and we use the forward head as our guest head.  Our aft head across from the office is our personal head since a previous owner took out the head in the master head.  It works since it is the 2 of us.  We have a "potty" room and a shower room.  Gives a bit more space in the master to get out of the shower.  Course that head could always been replaced if needed.  But it makes the rule for anyone on board, You MAY NOT go down the aft stairs lol!

The other lift up stair we have is the stair to the forward stateroom next to the washer.  The first step lifts up. and there is sliding doors and storage under the forward guest bed.  The storage area is the full space of the bed and I do not have to remove the mattress and lift boards up to get to it.

I agree I like the arch more centered.  We do not have a bridge enclosure and we have enough shade and if nasty we drive from below.

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 04 2011 at 20:59 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Vicki,

Subject: Carpets

Glad you mentioned your problems with Berber carpet.  I’ve been planning the replacement of the lower salon carpet for quite a while now and Arlene is pushing Berber carpet for the lower salon.  I’ll mention your experience to her.

When our lower salon carpet was badly stained by an accidental oil spill back in 2004 we were in the process of putting Berber into the family room of our home.  So I glommed onto the rug we were removing from the family room and used it as a “temporary” replacement for the lower salon rug.  Seven years later that “temporary” rug is still there and doesn’t look too bad.  But the time for replacement has come.

Our lower salon is completely covered by one piece of carpet.  It’s basically a 7’ x 11’ rug with a runner on the aft side that connects to the companionway.  There is a cutout on the port aft side for the stairs and there is a separate rug (nailed down) under the couch (which is by the aft wall).  A single piece of padding of the same shape is used under the carpet.  Nothing (except the carpet under the couch) is nailed or fastened down in any way.  I’ve had no problems with the carpet sliding around.  The dinette area is covered by a separate rug which is nailed down.

Engine room accesses tend to be either starboard or port engine accesses.  To get at the port engine I simply grab the rug (and its padding) at the port wall and roll it back towards the starboard side.  There are only two chairs on the port side and they get piled on top of the couch.  Then I open the port engine hatches.  They get laid on top of the rolled up rug.

Access to the starboard side is the same as to the port side except the carpet gets rolled up from the port side towards the starboard side..  With care the carpet can be rolled back far enough to uncover the central hatches too.  The mechanics love this.

The couch is the only piece of furniture that doesn’t move around.  It stays put on the starboard aft wall and is used as a place to temporarily store furniture.  I should mention that the couch can be moved.  It isn’t nailed down.  But with this setup it really isn’t necessary to move the couch.

It’s possible to completely remove the rug if you want to work on both engines simultaneously.  The only problem is finding a place to temporarily store the rug and furniture.

Typical time to access a single engine is about five minutes.  Accessing both engines simultaneously takes about ten minutes.  Most of this extra time is spent stashing the furniture.  But two engine accesses are rare.

I’ve also reworked the engine hatches.  Now instead of having two 56” x 24” hatches on each side oriented with their long direction fore and aft I have three 19” x 48” hatches on each side with their long dimension athwartship.  They’re slightly lighter and also allow just one hatch to be removed for access to the forward, center or aft end of the engines.  This seems to be more practical for my engine access needs.  We don’t think of them much as hatches but the boards over the centerline of the engine room can also be removed and they tend to be oriented towards forward, center and aft end of the engine access too.

I am really surprised that so many Connie owners have a strong aversion against opening the engine room hatches.  As long as you don’t nail the carpets over your engine room hatches down opening the engine room hatches is quick and painless.

Of course some owners have parquet floors.  That presents a different set of problems which fortunately I haven’t had to address.

One final thing I should mention.  Don’t use the foam rubber padding.  It falls apart after repeated engine room accesses.  Use felt padding.

Pete37

scottflys2
"Seaman"

Posted: November 07 2011 at 13:44 | IP Logged Quote scottflys2

Hello Everyone
I am looking for windshield wiper arms any ideas? Two are ok but one
is broken thanks gemba

eshover
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 07 2011 at 15:24 | IP Logged Quote eshover

Gemba - try jamestowndistributors.com

They carry pantaographic type wiper arms as well as
motors, etc.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_pr
oduct.do?
pid=15536&familyName=AFI+Premier+Plus+Adjustable+P
antographic+Wiper+Arm

Hope this helps. I need new blades but I'll wait til Spring!

Emory

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 07 2011 at 17:08 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

Subject: Installation of Anchor Windlass

The picture below shows the access hatch to the anchor locker on my Connie:

As you can see it is a picture of the access door to the anchor windlass chain locker.  Unfortunately, the vertical dimension is about 2" less than the width of my rib cage.  So I can't get in past my shoulders and that makes it nearly impossible to properly install the anchor  windlass.

Therefore as part of the windlass rebuild., I've been planning to increase the size of the access door.  The new dimensions appear below the door.

About 15 minutes with an electric saw produced the new access hatch shown in the second picture below:

You can immediately see that the access to the anchor windlass compartment has been dramatically improved.  Now I can get my rib cage into the compartment and can easily access all parts of the windlass..  In this picture the windlass hasn't been installed yet but you can see the backing block for the deck plate has been installed.

This is a modification that I should have made years ago.  Don't know why I didn't.

I'm still waiting for the new windlass parts.  Apparently the dirigible that is bringing them here from New Zealand by air mail has encountered strong headwinds.

But I'm enthusiastic about the outcome.  With this new expanded access hatch, installation of the windlass should be a "piece of cake".

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on November 07 2011 at 17:16

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 08 2011 at 15:38 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

Subject:  Attrition of Connie Owners

The table below shows the statistics of 1987 Connie 500 sales for the last three years; basically since the last election or start of the recession.  The table shows only the statistics for the 1987 Connie 500s but I think the statistics for the other years (1985, 1986 & 1988) and for the 460s and 501s are very nearly the same.  Read the table with that fact in mind.

The first column shows the hull number, the second column the sale status and the third column the status of the yacht’s documentation.

Hull #

Sale Status

Document

Unknown

NLID

One owner

OK

Sold 2010

DExp

One owner

OK

FS 2003-2011

OK

FS 2009-2011

NLID

Sold 2009

NLID

Sold 2010

NLID

Sold 2009

OK

Sold 2010

OK

Wrecked 2010

DExp

Sold 2010

DExp

Sold 2010

DExp

One owner

OK

FS 2011

OK

I’ve identified the Connies only by their hull numbers in order to avoid any possible embarrassment to the owners.  In the second column “FS” means “For Sale” and the first year is the year when sale was first attempted.  In many cases the sale extended over several years.  The second year is the year the boat actually sold.  In some cases the sale has taken as much as 8 years and the boat still hasn’t been sold.  “One owner” means that the boat has been owned by one person and that it hasn’t been up for sale.

There were 15 Constellation 500s built in the 1987 model year.  One (#153) I have never been able to get any records on.  One (#163) has been wrecked.  That leaves 13 for the data base.  Three of these have been one owner yachts since the beginning of my records (2003).  Two were sold in 2009 and another five were sold in 2010.  Three are presently for sale.  Out these 13 yachts, ten (77%) have been sold or have been put up for sale since the recession started.  Only three (23% ) are continuing on under the control of their original owners.

Note the last column labeled “Document”.  OK means the documentation is up to date.  DExp means the document has expired but the old data is still listed in the CGs documentation files.  The CG continues the listing for a couple years after the document expires.  NLID (Not Listed in Documentation) means there is no record of documentation for the documentation number or boat name given. 

When this forum was started in 2006, I used the documentation records to obtain the addresses of the Connie owners.  Letters were sent out to let the Connie owners know that the forum existed.  Now there is no record of 4 out of 13 (31%) of the 1987 Connie 500 owners.  And in a couple years more we will lose the addresses for 4 more owners leaving only about 1/3rd for whom we can get owner addresses.  And in looking at the statistics of the number of new Connie owners who document their Connies I find only two cases out of seven sales where the new owners have documented their yachts.  Documentation is losing its popularity which means that finding yacht owners through documentation records in the future will not be very successful.

Since 2008 this forum has lost nearly ¾ of its participants because they have either sold or are in the process of selling their Connies.  Owners in the process of selling their Connies are normally not active participants in the forum.  Of course, for every owner lost to a sale a new owner is created.  But in most cases we have no way of contacting the new owner.

We need to find a way to contact the new Connie owners.  If we can’t, the forum will eventually shrink to oblivion.  We aren’t too far from that point now.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on November 08 2011 at 19:41

Delaware Jim
"Navigator"

Posted: November 08 2011 at 19:47 | IP Logged Quote Delaware Jim

A couple of thoughts:

Windshield Wipers - I found in the AutoZone online website an "assist spring" that is shaped to loop around the base of the blade (near the hub end) that adds tension to the blade on the windshield.  On my boat all three blades have busted internal springs.  These assist springs are sold in packs of 2 for about $6/pair.  I added to all three of my wiper arms that absolutely solved the problem.  Wiper Blades are also a pretty simple auto parts store item.  Buy blades the same length as the existing blades.  The center attachment for the "crookshank" auto blade connectors will come out easily.  I bought SS screws and washers and rigged a single screw through the old blade end.  Cost - Blades $12 and $2 hardware.  The least expensive "marine" wiper blades ar West were about $40+ each.

Hatch/Access Panel - Pete, that is a very good idea.  The only concern I have is if you use the shower and cut through the facing... water can penetrate the cuts and cause decay in the substrate.  If you do not use the shower, that isn't much of an issue.

Connie Owners - Pete, you were the one who told me there are a limited number of Connies out there to begin with.  I've read that only two are known to be lost to fire and wreck...  I'm not sure what your point truly is - that Connies are "getting lost" or reviving the web thread activity.  There are lots of reasons why a web thead withers over time...

Jim

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 08 2011 at 22:01 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Jim,

Windshield Wipers: No comment.

Showers: I don't use the forward shower very much. The hatch will be covered with a waterproof panel.  But that's a spring job.  I'm not going to be taking any showers in the forward cabin during the winter. Or anywhere on the boat for that matter.  The water will be turned off in another week or two.

Owner Attrition: My point is that since 2008 half of the 1987 Connies have been sold and we only know the new owners for about a sixth of them.  In the next few years half of the remaining Connies will disappear from the documentation records and we won't know who their owners are either. 

Strictly speaking, this applies only to the 1987 Connie 500s.  But realistically the Connies built in other years are doing the same thing and the 460s and 501s probably have pretty much the same behavior.  Net result is that in only three years we have lost track of more than 50% of all Connie owners.  And since we can no longer track them by documentation records we have no way of recovering the names of the new owners.

There may be other reasons why the forum withers but this is a sure fire killer that in another three years will almost surely wipe out the forum.  Unless, of course, we find another way to get the names and addresses of the new owners.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on November 08 2011 at 22:10

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 09 2011 at 00:42 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Jim,

Sometimes if you present something graphically it makes more of an impact.  Here is what has happened to our fleet of 1987 Connie 500s:

This is a graphical display of the files for the 1987 Connies.  For each of the Connies that has been sold in such a fashion that we don't know the new owner I have crossed out the icon with an X.  For each Connie which is presently for sale and which soon may be sold to an unknown new owner I have put a slash across the icon.  The Connies for which we know the owners have not been slashed or X out

And remember that a similar graph applies to every model and every year of Connie production. Would you be happy with such a fleet?

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on November 09 2011 at 00:49

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 10 2011 at 00:24 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

Subject: Attrition of Connie Owners on the Forum

In previous posts I only had the results for 1987 Connie 500s.  Now I've checked 1985,1986 and 1988 as well.  Basically I have data for about 70 of the approximately 76 Connie 500s.

With the data from the CG Documentation files I know the names and addresses of about 54 which is about 77% of the owners.  The other (23%) of the owners have already sold their Connies to unknown new owners. 

In addition 18 (about 26% of the total Connies) are presently for sale and when they sell we will probably not get much info on the names and addresses of the new owners.  So when the sales are completed we will only know the names and addresses of about 36 which is just slightly over half (51%) of the total of 70 Connie 500s.

So far (in the three years since the start of the recession) we've lost track of about half of the Connies.  The recession probably has another two or three years to go and if the losses are similar to those in the first three years we will only have data on 18 owners. 

Obviously we need to do something to keep track of the Connie owners.  Regrettably the new Connie owners don't seem to document their yachts so we can't depend on documentation data.

I have some ideas which I'll discuss in future posts.

Pete37

scottflys2
"Seaman"

Posted: November 10 2011 at 11:32 | IP Logged Quote scottflys2

Hi all
Found wiper arms are made by dyna and grainger has them in stock
Thanks for help on this

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 15 2011 at 12:26 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

Subject: Attrition of Connie Owners on the Forum

Back on October 10th I made a post on the subject of “Attrition of Connie Owners on the Forum” and said I had some ideas on how to correct the problem.  I promised to get back to you on the subject.

Well it’s been a month and here is what has transpired.  I decided that since it has been several years since we have tried to contact the owners, it was time to send a letter out to all known Connie owners reminding them of the existence of the Connie Forum and pointing out that in this recession atmosphere the forum is more important than ever to them.

So I started making up an address list and since it has been several years since we last sent out a letter I went to the CG Documentation site on the web to update the addresses to the latest owners.  Many Connies have been sold and have new names and owners now.  The new owners, in particular, may be unaware of the Forum and as new owners the Forum would be of great use to them.

I immediately ran into a big problem.  The USCG Vessel Documentation Center (responsible for documentation records) had deleted all information on the names and addresses of about 2/3 rds of all yacht owners.  The five year old addresses I used back in 2006 obviously wouldn’t be of much use in sending letters to the 2011 Connie owners.  And since the Documentation Center had deleted most of the names and addresses of owners the Center’s data wasn’t going to be of much use either.

So I tried to find out why the data had been deleted but the USCG is a very big organization and it has taken dozens of phone calls to track this problem down.  After a bit of investigation it became obvious that since the records were deleted on a boat by boat basis only an organization which created the records could edit the records and that meant that the deleting of records had to occur at the USCG Vessel Documentation Center (VDC).  That’s still a rather large organization and dozens more calls followed.

Initially, I got the cold shoulder but finally hit pay dirt.  Apparently the VDC had transmitted the wrong file to their web site and the file had most of the owner information deleted.  The file includes about 500,000 documented yachts.  But when I pointed out the errors, the VDC corrected them and sent out new (corrected) files.  And all of this occurred because our tiny forum noticed the errors.

Anyway, with these new files, I get addresses for about 90% of the Connies.  That doesn’t mean that they are correct, up-to-date addresses but at least they are the best that the CG has.  So with this new data, I should be able to get out a reasonable mailing.  Sorry it took so long.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on November 15 2011 at 12:27

Delaware Jim
"Navigator"

Posted: November 15 2011 at 12:58 | IP Logged Quote Delaware Jim

Pete,

Interesting tale you uncovered and the results were positive.  Good Job.

Now you have a "current" list, could you distribute it (without personnal info) to all hands?  Just knowing where the Connies are located is an asset when cruising and the ability to reach out to "local/regional" owners may be positive as well... just a thought.

Jim

Fantasy
"Navigator"

Posted: November 15 2011 at 20:57 | IP Logged Quote Fantasy

It would be wonderful if you could include 460 owners and adding 46 uniflite owners would really expand the base.  A lot of similarities on our boats.

John

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 15 2011 at 23:35 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi John & Jim and other 460 Owners,

Subject: 460 Owner and Address Info

Since the CG Doc Center upgraded their files I'm getting good info on Connie owners.  I downloaded the owners info for all the 460s on the documentation site.  There were 26 460s built and I was able to obtain owner's names and addresses for about 20 of them.

Between the 500s and 460s we now have about 74 owners who are potential Forum participants.  I guess I'll have to do the 501s too.

There are 14 500s and 9 460s for sale now.  When they sell, some of the new owners won't document so we will loose track of them.  But at least half will probably document so out of the 23 that sell we will probably be able to track 12.  That will make our net loss about 11 which will reduce our potential new Forum participants to about 63.  But realistically we probably won't gain more than a dozen new Forum participants from the letters mailed out.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on November 15 2011 at 23:56

Delaware Jim
"Navigator"

Posted: November 16 2011 at 13:53 | IP Logged Quote Delaware Jim

Following up on John's idea, All the 46 Uniflite's and the "granddaddy"Pacemaker 46 Flush Deck (from the 70's that are 'glass)  are "all in the family" and would be appropriate to contact if possible.

BTW, I found that when Uniflite bought the Pacemaker molds and yard in Swansboro NC during 1980, Pacemaker did NOT sell their "in process" boats  (Uniflite did sell their "in process" boats to Dale Murray in late 1984.  I own hull # 16 which is reportedly the last hull laid by Uniflite in the summer of 84, but finished by Murray as an 85 CC model).  I looked at a 1982 model Pacemaker 46 in Annapolis (and checked the papers) that Pacemaker finished well after they sold to Uniflite... 

Jim

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 16 2011 at 21:40 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

Subject: Uniflites and Pacemakers

I've had data on Uniflite and Pacemaker for many years and some of it is published in the Connie DVD Library.  I've found 22 46' Uniflites and have been able to determine the owners and addresses for about 15 of them.  Pacemaker is much more difficult.  I've only found 7 so far but was able to get owners and addresses for 5 of them.  The Uniflites and Pacemakers add about 20 to the previous total of 74 owners who could be Forum participants which makes the new total about 94.  When the Connie 501 owners are added in the total will be well over 100.

But converting potential participants into actual Forum participants is going to be a hard sell.

The CG Documentation records are available on CD for about $140.  On the CG's web site they can only be searched by boat name and documentation number.  But there are people who have copies of the documentatiion files and can search by manufacturer, year, boat model. owners address, etc.  However, it does cost some money.  I'll have to query them to see what the cost might be. 

When I worked at a brokerage office we had on-line access to one of these search engines.  The secretary could do a search in about a half hour and get a printout of all Connie 500 owners.  So I don't think it should be very expensive.

Pete37 

Edited by Pete37 on November 16 2011 at 21:55

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 17 2011 at 00:05 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

Subject: Anchor Windlass

Well, it's finally done.  The anchor windlass is repaired and working again.

It took five and half weeks but it's finally done and at a cost of less than $300.  For a while I thought I was looking at a $3000 replacement plus considerable reworking of the bow pulpit.  The major reason it took so long was that I had to order parts from New Zealand.  Air shipment alone took nearly two weeks.  And it took about a week talking to Nilsson Corp. to find out what parts they could replace.  Fortunately they were the ones I needed.  And while I was at it I bought some spares.

Now on to winterization.  One of my favorite jobs.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on November 17 2011 at 00:06

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 17 2011 at 12:01 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

Subject: Book Report

About a week ago I was browsing the West Marine library and found a book titled Cruising Comfortably on a Budget.  Reducing costs naturally caught my attention.

It was one of those books with a spiral wire binding and plain white cover which had 182 pages for a cost of $25.  I was in a rush so I made a quick scan through it and concluded that while a lot of it didn’t apply to Connies that if I found one useful item it would pay for the book.  So I bought it.

It was one of the Skipper Bob Publications.  Skipper Bob has dozens of books; mostly cruising guides.  Skipper Bob passed away in 2006 but Ted Stehle serves as editor and Bob’s wife Elaine Reib continues to act as an advisor.

Bob retired at 50 in 1990 and took up Recreational Vehicle (RV) camping.  From RVs he graduated into trawlers.  He and his wife had once cruised in a sailboat but found it too confining.  They concluded that trawlers would give them more space and more of the comforts of modern living.  After some consideration they selected a 36’ Krogen Manatee as their ideal trawler.  It certainly isn’t the most beautiful trawler but perhaps from an economical cruising standpoint it was a good selection.  Size was selected based on cost; both purchase costs and operating costs.

With his RV background Bob concluded that using propane would drastically reduce the operational costs.  So he installed a propane stove, a propane water heater, a propane refrigerator, a propane space heater and a propane grill (I may have missed a couple propane items).  And of course, a large propane tank to supply all of these devices.  Most of this stuff was not marine certified; it came from the local RV supplier.  In addition he concluded he needed a generator (his boat didn’t come with one) so he bought a 3.5 KW gasoline powered portable electric generator from Lowes.  Naturally this was not marine certified either.

Now propane and gasoline can be safely used on a boat.  But it requires strict adherence to marine standards.  And as the number of propane items increases, the complexity of the propane plumbing system also increases and the probability of a leak gets much greater.  Bob’s solution certainly reduces costs but I don’t think I could recommend Bob’s use of propane and gasoline for economy and wouldn’t use it myself.

All this stuff was covered in Chapter 14 “Outfitting for Comfort”.  On the basis of that chapter I certainly wasted my $25.

But the book has 20 chapters in which he discusses generators, battery banks, inverters, water systems, anchoring, shore power hookups, fuel costs, budgeting, etc.  Basically rip out Chapter 14, throw it away and you have a pretty good book.

I’ll probably discuss a couple chapters that especially apply to Connies in later posts.

Pete37

Delaware Jim
"Navigator"

Posted: November 17 2011 at 16:34 | IP Logged Quote Delaware Jim

Pete's "book report"

No one can dispute the inherent safety issues that gasoline and propane have (fumes heavier than air and accumulated in bilge).  I also agree with the statement that all propane equipment should be USCG APPROVED, not just some RV stuff...

A similar "process" might have been to use CNG (compressed natural gas), which has essentially all the same features as propane, but, as it is lighter than air, does NOT pose the same dangers on the boat. The big drawback is a lack of availability of obtaining CNG in many places.

IMHO, the "concept" of using less expensive fuels is a good one, but must be tempered with sound safety judgement, too.

Thanks for the ideas Pete!

Jim

Fantasy
"Navigator"

Posted: November 17 2011 at 22:02 | IP Logged Quote Fantasy

Skipper Bob publications are a staple of those of us who cruise the AICW.  After his death, his publications were purchased by Waterway Guide (Jack Dozier, Deltaville) and are still published with annual updates.  They are the best at what they do and I consider them to be a "must have" next to the helm for their mile-by-mile format of current problem stretches, bridge schedules, anchorages and marina and fuel cost details.  They also publish nearly real time updates to their guides on the web, which we check as we travel.

John

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 18 2011 at 09:39 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Testing

Edited by Pete37 on November 18 2011 at 09:43

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 23 2011 at 10:37 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

Subject: Letter to Connie Owners

I've finished the collection of owner's addresses and may have as many as 100 owners in my file.  Now comes the tedious task of writing the letter, stuffing the envelopes, attaching the address labels and postage and mailing them.  I usually do that in bunches of about 25 at a time.

I've pondered as to what the best date for this mailing should be and concluded that it shouldn't be during the holiday season.  People are too preoccupied with holiday affairs to give the letter much consideration.  Early January looks like the best time to send it out.

The last time I sent out a letter to the owners was five years ago in November of 2006.  It went to about 60 Connie 500 owners and about 12 Connie 460 owners.  That's all the addresses I had at the time.  Since that time more than 2/3 rds of these owners have sold their Connies and about a dozen presently have their Connies up for sale.  So out  of the 72 owners I sent letters to in 2006 only about a dozen remain as active Connie owners. And not all of these are active Forum participants.  Most of today's Connie owners don't even know the Forum exists.

So I'm going to start drafting the letter now and will present preliminary drafts on the Forum for your review.  Perhaps you can suggest some additional factors to be included in the letter.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving, eat a lot of turkey and watch a lot of football games.

Pete37 

Edited by Pete37 on November 23 2011 at 10:41

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 29 2011 at 20:08 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

Well, a week goes by and nothing of significance happens to report on in the Forum.  And then in one day several things happen.  Some of what happened today came in the mail.

I got my December issue of “Power and Motoryacht” (PMY).  On page 8 the Editor-in-Chief, Dick Thiel had his usual “Leadline” column in which he made the following comment on the state of the U.S. [motoryacht] market:

“A disturbing theme at this year’s European [yacht] shows was the virtual writing off of the U.S.[motoryacht] market for 2012 and maybe beyond.  Many foreign builders feel our economy and political system are so mucked up that even if we can manage to get things back on track, it’ll be a long time before Americans feel secure enough to spend big dollars on big boats”.

Now Dick is a lot more knowledgeable on these things than I.  No one sends me tickets to the Cannes, Genoa, London, etc. boat shows and I couldn’t even pay for the air fare to get there if they did.  He hit the nail right on the head.  The problem with Americans is they're scared.  And what are they scared of?  They’re scared of their own government.  It’s going to take a long time to correct that.

And in the same batch of mail I got a letter from my local yacht broker encouraging me, due to the bad economy, to sell my money-burning motoryacht.  I think a lot of Connie owners are going to follow his advice.  But I enjoy my Connie and think I’ll hang on at least until my health gives out.  I hope that’s a long time off.

Pete37

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 30 2011 at 00:45 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

Subject: Starting Your Engines in Cold Weather

As the winter moves in you may need to start your engines in cold weather.  When I mentioned it to a friend he went into a diatribe about starting ether, glow plugs and gasoline soaked rags.  I mentioned to him that ether can seriously damage a diesel, that our diesels don’t have glow plugs and that gasoline soaked rags have no place on a boat.

Fortunately there’s a much simpler method but when I mentioned it to him he said I was nuts.  The method is simply to switch on your ignition and press your start and shut down buttons simultaneously, hold them on for 10 to 15 seconds and then release the stop button.  The engine should start.  If it doesn’t try it a second time or even in severe cases a third time.  If three tries don’t get it to start you may have to use more severe methods such as heating up the engine room.  Block heaters work too, but I’m assuming you don’t have them.

When you start a diesel in cold weather the fuel and cylinder walls are cold and when the injectors fire the fuel is just sprayed on the cylinder walls where it condenses.  You need a hot fuel air mixture to get the diesel to fire.  By holding the stop button down you prevent the cold fuel from being sprayed on the cylinder walls but the air is still compressed by the cylinder and gets quite hot.  After 20 or 30 cranks the hot air has raised the temp of the cylinder walls to the point where the injected fuel won’t condense on the cylinder walls.  At that point you release the stop button allowing the injectors to spray fuel into the cylinder and the cylinder should fire.

I’ve used this method every fall to get the engines winterized and it works quite well down to about 20F.  Below that I can’t testify from personal knowledge that it will work.  I’ve known about this method for decades and thought that it was common knowledge that everyone knew about.  But when I mentioned it to my friend he thought I was nuts.  So apparently it’s not as common knowledge as I thought.  Try it, it doesn’t cost anything.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on November 30 2011 at 00:49

Bennett
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 30 2011 at 08:24 | IP Logged Quote Bennett

Pete,

How does your starting sequence work? I thought the fuel
pump was gear driven and the injectors are cam driven which
would mean that fuel is sprayed anytime the crank turns?

Bennett

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 30 2011 at 12:47 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Bennett,

Subject: Starting Sequence

On 6V92s the injectors are supplied with fuel by a low pressure gear driven pump mounted on the engine block.  But the high pressure used to inject the fuel is supplied by the cam driven pistons in the injectors.  The engine governor has a shutoff valve which bypasses the input to the injector fuel gallery, thereby cutting off the fuel to the injectors.  The bypassed fuel goes back into the tank.  The shutoff valve is controlled by a large shutdown solenoid mounted on the engine governor which is activated by the stop button on the dash.  The picture below shows the engine governor and shutdown solenoid.

Sorry that the picture is so messy.  My engines need a paint job.  It’s on the calendar for next summer.  You can see the solenoid at the right connected to the shutdown lever via a long rod.  The governor is that trapezoidal shaped box on the left.  When (or if) your engine fails to shut down when you press the shutdown button you go into the engine room and move that lever manually.  In an emergency you can also shut the engine down by pulling the Emergency Shutdown handle on the lower console dash which shuts the engines down by activating a flapper valve which cuts off the air supply to the engine.  This however is hard on the engine and should only be used in emergencies.

Pete37

PS: There are actually two solenoids in the picture.  The small one on top triggers the large on connected to the shutdown lever by the long rod.  Sometimes this solenoid is erroneously called the start solenoid but actually it's a shut down solenoid.

Edited by Pete37 on November 30 2011 at 13:00

Bennett
"Deckhand"

Posted: November 30 2011 at 12:59 | IP Logged Quote Bennett

Pete,

Thanks, I think you may be right and will review my DD books
when I return to my boat to learn more. BTW, my boat does
not have an emergency air shut down flapper; when you pull
the emergency shut down on my boat, the cables go directly
to the arms actuated by the solenoids.

Bennett

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 30 2011 at 13:03 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Bennett,

Subject: Air Shutdown Flappers

As we all know there are lots of variations between different Connies.  Shutdown flappers may have been an option.

Pete37

BTW: I checked both my J&T and DD manuals.  They weren't very useful but the DD manual at least showed that there was a shutdown valve on the governor.  Figures 3.1 and 3.2 on page 3-1 of the J&T Manual show the Fuel Shutoff Solenoid which I've been calling the shutdown solenoid.  It doesn't actually shutoff the fuel flow. It just bypasses the injectors and routes the fuel back to the tanks.

Edited by Pete37 on November 30 2011 at 13:19

Delaware Jim
"Navigator"

Posted: November 30 2011 at 13:31 | IP Logged Quote Delaware Jim

Hi Bennett, et. al.,

I thought the "emergency shutdown" was always on the air side of the engine, not the fuel side.  Diesels have been known to "runaway" by pumping the lube oil into the cylinders and firing... in those cases or wherever you do not have throttle control (for example a broken throttle cable, stuck open), cutting off the air is the only other way to stop it.  As Pete said, shutting the air dampers on a fast running engine can damage it, but a runaway can become a bomb - doesn't make for a good day...

Jim

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: November 30 2011 at 13:31 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

I finally did it!  I retired my five year old Acer laptop and bought a new HP Laptop with 4GB of memory and a 0.5TB hard drive.  The Acer will now become a full time resident on my Connie.

It's slow and has a much smaller memory and hard drive but it still works fine. It will be interesting to have a resident computer on the boat.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on November 30 2011 at 13:33

]
] ]
150 Pages « 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version