View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Murray Chris Craft Constellations Post ReplyPost New Topic
150 Pages « 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Furman1
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 01 2007 at 10:32 | IP Logged Quote Furman1

Whose refrig did you use?  Also when I replaced my fuel lines all of a sudden my tank transfer valves started to work easier.  I found that the rubber had broken off the inside of my fuel lines were in these valves making them harder to move.  This might be a restriction of your fuel flow.  Just a thought.

Furman
Back to Top Printable version View Furman1's Profile Search for other posts by Furman1

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 01 2007 at 15:24 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi  Emory,

I have that drawing of the engine wiring diagram ready to mail. Do I use the address on your documentation or something else?

Pete37

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 01 2007 at 15:29 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Furman & Emory,

Remember that debris from the fuel hoses has to go through two filters (the Racor and the on-engine) before getting into the engine.  Fuel line debris might clog up your filters but it is very unlikely that it would affect your engine.  I assume the filters have been checked several times by now. 

If debris is a problem it would have to be above the Racors.  It's easy to test.  Just remove your fuel line at the engine and use the electric priming pump to check output.

The fuel pump is in a PITA location and repairs/testing look like a "mechanics only" spelled $$$ job.  The fuel system is described in Section 2 of the Detroit Diesel Series 92 Service Manual.  It's inspiring reading but I don't think I would want to do any of that kind of work.

Getting correct combustion requires that the fuel/air ratio is just right.  I know that too little air causes black smoke but I'm not sure that too little fuel does too.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on October 01 2007 at 15:54

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: October 01 2007 at 16:57 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

Pete - Yes the address is the same.  I really appreciate the wiring diagrams.  I owe you a cold beer (or whatever you prefer).  What are you folks doing for this weekend?

Furman - I must admit, I choose a slightly smaller refrigerator (only in height).  You can buy them at Home Depot, etc.,  it's a GE in black with the "crinkle" finish and ice-maker in the freezer.  It's lighter than the factory unit.  I wasn't interested in getting a unit that was too fancy nor too expensive.  This one looks good (now that's it's int) and does just as good a job as the old one.  It's your call of course.  Getting that old one out is the bear.  You MUST make sure that you remove every piece of exterior hardware that you can find, even remove the icemaker supply tube, take out any screws that you find that extrude out from the shell.  Some hints:  remove the handrail at the salon steps, put a couple of layers of tape around the teak wood framing at the top of the steps, remove door at the storage compartment under the helm seat .  Believe me, you'll be glad you got a couple of "healthy" young men to take that thing out!  They should like you and your boat, so that they will take very special care in keeping the frige on a straight line passing between the salon entrance and helm.  After it's all said and done, you'll install the new unit in reverse.  You should have the new one ready to go in at that point.  Don't give the labor force time to quit on you and for God's sake don't offer any beer until the new one goes in!  They may just revolt.  Of course, you have to remove the back glass.  My marina was kind enough to allow me to back into the lift well where the "rack" boats are taken out of the water and I paid the forklift operator to bring the forks up to the aft rail and he lifted the old frige out and we had the new frige ready to go in.  Hope this helps.

Marine Survey - Yacht Delivery
www.easternmarineservices.com
Back to Top Printable version View Banjoman's Profile Search for other posts by Banjoman

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: October 01 2007 at 19:26 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Hi Furman,  awhile back you mentioned that you installed 8" exhaust elbo's. If a remember they were 45 degrees and cost about $80.00. Was that price for each and where did you get them? Do you have a model number? I assume they are stainless. I would like to install them on my boat to try and eliminate or at least cut down the soot on the transom. Hopefully it won't collect on each hull side then. I would think the air movement would send it aft and away.

Dave

Back to Top Printable version View David Ross's Profile Search for other posts by David Ross

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: October 01 2007 at 19:54 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Pete, there is a 500 Chris at the Georgetown Yacht Basin on the Sassafras River called "Still In The Mood", homeport Middleton, DE (the lettering looks like it may have been recently done). It  has a TNT or similar swim platform. I have not seen the boat leave the dock or any activity on the boat all summer. Across the way at Sailing Associates is a 46' Chris called "Dorado", homeport Annapolis, MD. Haven't seen any activity there either. I guess this is one way to cut down on soot. With John's 46 and my Chris there are four of us within eyeball of each other. I've seen a real clean 46 Uniflite but did not get the name. I think it is out of BohemiaYacht Basin. Are you familiar with any of these boats?

Back to Top Printable version View David Ross's Profile Search for other posts by David Ross

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: October 01 2007 at 20:13 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

Dave -  I want to install the same thing on my exhaust outlets.  I think what you'll need is actual exhaust elbows.  Maybe Furman can help us with this.  A couple of mid-80's Viking's I surveyed in the past had 671's in them and they had the angled exhaust elbows which appeared to be factory installs.  I've seen a few folks on Bayliner Pilothouse models who have extended the exhaust pipe to the end of the swim platform.  In order to do that, you have to make a down-support tube which is then affixed to the exhaust pipe and platform.  This system works, but, man is it ugly!  I've been told that the 45 degree elbows will turn the exhaust gas out into the slip-stream which carries it away from the transom.  Even if this was 70% effective, that would be a hullovalot (pardon the pun) better than what most of us put up with now. 

Back to Top Printable version View Banjoman's Profile Search for other posts by Banjoman

Furman1
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 01 2007 at 21:52 | IP Logged Quote Furman1

I got my 45 degree exhaust extentions  through a truck manafold supply company.  Yes they are stainless steel.  If you order them 8 inch in diameter as I did you'll have to heat them to get them over the 8 inch exhaust on the boat. It was about 8 years ago and I don't remember where I got them. Sorry, but about any truck supply company should be able to supply them. Hope this helps.

Furman
Back to Top Printable version View Furman1's Profile Search for other posts by Furman1

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 02 2007 at 00:10 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Dave,

I couldn't find Dorado in the CG documentation records.  But I had her in my records and got her documentation number.  From there I went to the CG documentation site and found out her name is now "SELAH" and she is owned by a man from PA.  She's hull #109 and is an 86 model. 

I also spotted Christine a 460 from West Chester, PA at Bruff's Island yesterday.  I think she must be docked somewhere in the upper bay.  A week ago I saw "BIG JOY", another 460, going down the Chester River.  She is for sale and docked in Rock Hall.  She is a beautiful boat.  You can see her broker's photos on YachtWorld.  Two brokers are pushing her and I don't think she will be for sale for very long.

I think I know the boat "Still in the Mood" with the TNT lift.  She's been for sale for a long time in FL but I've never been able to get her name.  Her new name hasn't hit the CG records yet or perhaps she hasn't been documented.  Weve got a 1986 Connie 500 docked by the Kent Narrows bridge named "TACHMEIR" but I haven't sent him a a letter yet. 

And finally,

I've got about 17 of the 27 Connie 460s built on my list now so I guess it's time to get a letter out to them now.  I don't have many Uniflites or Pacemaker's yet but perhaps I can get a letter out to them

Edited by Pete37 on October 02 2007 at 00:13

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 02 2007 at 00:50 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Dave and All,

I couldn't find Dorado in the CG documentation records but I had her in my records and got her documentation number.  From there I went to the CG documentation site and found out her name is now "SELAH" and she is owned by a man from PA.  She's hull #109 and is an 86 model. 

I also spotted "CHRISTINE" a 460 from West Chester, PA at Bruff's Island yesterday.  I think she must be docked somewhere in the upper bay.  A week ago I saw "BIG JOY", another 460, going down the Chester River.  She is for sale and docked in Rock Hall.  She is a beautiful boat.  You can see her broker's photos on YachtWorld.  Two brokers are pushing her and I don't think she will be for sale for very long.

I think I know the boat "Still in the Mood" with the TNT lift.  She's been for sale for a long time in FL but I've never been able to get her name.  Her new name hasn't hit the CG records yet or perhaps she hasn't been documented.  Weve got a 1985 Connie 500 docked by the Kent Narrows bridge named "TACHMEIR" formerly "GOD'S GIFT" but I haven't sent the owner a letter yet. 

I've got about 17 of the 27 Connie 460s built on my list now so I guess it's time to get a letter out to them now.  I don't have many Uniflites or Pacemaker's yet but perhaps I can get a letter out to them.  And last but not least is to send letters to the 501 owners.  When all the Connies have been found there will be nearly 150 boats on the list.  That should make an active forum.

And finally, weve got 37 pages, with 268 posts and 15,750 views now.  It takes a file of almost 3 megabytes to hold all the posts.  During the past 11 months we've talked about so many topics that I can't keep track of them all.  So I've copied them all into files on my computer.  The advantage of this is that I can now just search the file to find a topic.  And I'm also working on an index so that you can find the topic by searching a printed file.  I'm going to put this on a CD and distribute it to anyone who wants it.  I may also include my collection of Connie photos and perhaps some other Connie literature.  Basically it will be a grab bag of anything I think might be useful to a Connie owner. 

Please don't hold me to any specific date when I will get it out but the anniversary of our start date might be nice.

Thanks for the Connie spottings Dave.  If any of the rest of you spot a new Connie please pass the name on to me and I will include her on the potential forum participants list.

Pete37

Delaware Jim
"Navigator"

Posted: October 02 2007 at 09:05 | IP Logged Quote Delaware Jim

Quote: David Ross

Pete, there is a 500 Chris at the Georgetown Yacht Basin on the Sassafras River called "Still In The Mood", homeport Middleton, DE (the lettering looks like it may have been recently done). It  has a TNT or similar swim platform. I have not seen the boat leave the dock or any activity on the boat all summer. Across the way at Sailing Associates is a 46' Chris called "Dorado", homeport Annapolis, MD. Haven't seen any activity there either. I guess this is one way to cut down on soot. With John's 46 and my Chris there are four of us within eyeball of each other. I've seen a real clean 46 Uniflite but did not get the name. I think it is out of BohemiaYacht Basin. Are you familiar with any of these boats?

Hi Friends!

The boat refered to above is mine.  We did buy it in Ft Lauderdale in June and brought her up the ICW to Georgetown Yacht Basin, arriving in late July.  You are correct as it has not been out of her slip but 1 time since the end of July, as we are fixing her for eventual live aboard situation.

The old name was "Pan-a sea-a" and it was removed before I bought it.  It is documented, but the papers have not yet come through, so I guess it was not yet in the registry.

I am glad another Connie owner (Emory Shaver) put me ontho this thread; I'd like to communicate with other owners of either 46 Pacemaker/Uniflites and 50 Connies.  I was told my hull was the last 50 hull laid by Uniflite in late 84 just before the Chris Craft acquisition and finished as one of the first 1985 Chris Constellations.

Delaware Jim

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: October 02 2007 at 09:45 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Hi Delaware Jim, Furman and Emory,

Welcome aboard Delaware Jim! My boat is right across from you at Sassafras Harbor Marina. As a member of the Georgetown Yacht Club I get over to your area. Maybe we will cross paths. If you get over to SHM stop by and say hello.

Thanks furman for the exhaust elbo response. Sounds like the way I should go.

Emory, I saw a 55' Californian with exhaust elbo's. Actually they were more of a side cup deflector; looked factory installed and were black. No soot on the transom. I also saw a 52' Jefferson (with 6v92's) with exhaust tubes extended to the end of the swim platform. The owner said he put them on but still gets soot. And as you mentioned they don't look as good as an elbo.

Delaware Jim
"Navigator"

Posted: October 02 2007 at 09:52 | IP Logged Quote Delaware Jim

David,

Thanks! As a "new" owner, there are a myraid of things to repair/fix, etc.  I'd like to consider a meet up and we can share some info and a cold beverage of your choice.

Delaware Jim 

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 02 2007 at 10:36 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Jim,

Welcome Aboard!

I think I know your boat.  She's either the CHINA CLIPPER or SEA ANGEL and has been for sale by Selective Yacht Sales in Ft. Lauderdale since January 2004.  The name PAN-A-SEA-A which shows on the transom in the broker's ad is probably an old name because I have never been able to find it in the CG documentation records.  Based on your comment that she was started by Uniflite and finished by Chris Craft as one of the first Constellation 500s I think she is the CHINA CLIPPER, hull #101 and the second Connie 500 built.  The first was MORNING MIST, hull #100.

If she's CHINA CLIPPER her keel was laid by Uniflite at its Swansboro, NC plant in July of 1984. You can get some of the history of Uniflite at www.unifliteworld.com.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on October 02 2007 at 11:10

Delaware Jim
"Navigator"

Posted: October 02 2007 at 10:59 | IP Logged Quote Delaware Jim

Pete,

I am going down to the boat later today.  I will confirm the hull ID and get back to you.  I am really happy to find a site on our Connies!

Delaware Jim

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: October 02 2007 at 15:04 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Delaware Jim, I will be at the boat this week end. Not sure if I can get down around noon on Friday or later. I have a club meeting at 9am Saturday at the club house up on the hill by the pool at Georgetown Yacht Basin. Should be over by 11, give or take. I have another event at 6pm. Maybe we can get together between these events or Friday evening or on Sunday.

Furman1
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 02 2007 at 15:54 | IP Logged Quote Furman1

These are a few of the things I've done to my boat that you might consider:

1. Added a diverter on the roof above the upper salon port and starboard windows to divert rain from running down the windows (mine are made from corian.

2.  Added block heaters to the main engines to keep condinsate from forming on the inside of the engines (also keeps engine room dry) BTW J&T suggests pulling the emergency stops on engines to keep salt laden air from blow up exhausts into engines if you're going to be away for a while or wedging a plastic bucket in the exhausts

3.  Added 45 degree exhaust diverters to direct exhaust away from boat.

4.  Added Glendinning cord reel  to keep from lugging power cord

5.  Added rear tv camera (screen in lower helm) to assist in docking

6.  Extended swim platform to 54 deep. This gives a place for soft bottom dingy

7.  Added water counter to give accurate gallons in water tank www.watercounter.com

8.  Added "radon" exhaust fan to transum (installed behind mirrors in master stateroom) this pulls air from underneath master floor and exits through clamshell on transum. Has ran 24/7 since 1997 (fan is from ww grainger)

9.  Replaced all fuel lines

10. Replaced all AC rubber lines

11. Replaced all above water thur hulls (old ones very brittle)

12.  Replaced risers with stainless steel ones

13.  In process of adding 3kw inverter

14.  Built in plotter screen with PC under lower helm

15.  Added flowscans

16. Added self levers to trim tabs

17.  Replaced water tank (don't do unless you have to)

18.  Added 160 gal. fuel tank for a total of 760 gal

19. Replaced bridge seating

20. Replaced all water line connections with quest connections

21. Added stainless angle to bottom of rear door to divert water and keep it from coming into boat

Things that I am considering doing

1. Adding water maker

2. Adding holding tank (have letrasans now)

That's all I can think of now

Furman

Delaware Jim
"Navigator"

Posted: October 03 2007 at 09:52 | IP Logged Quote Delaware Jim

To David:

Unfortunately, I have eye surgery on Friday morning and not likely to be at the boat on Friday (maybe late??)  I do plan to be there over the weekend (Slip E-11).  Stop by if you can, or I'll come over if you let me know where to meet.

Delaware Jim.

Monopoly1954
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 03 2007 at 09:55 | IP Logged Quote Monopoly1954

I found your list very interesting and very close to my list.

I was interested in your comments about the flowscans and where did you install the 160 gallon fuel tank.

I have heard a story about moving the boat south at low speed. About 1050 RPMs. I was told the fuel MPG is about 1 MPG vs .33 MPG. When I brought the boat north in 2004 I used 3600 Gallons. It would be nice to burn 1200 gallons instead.
The captain who told me this story was on a fixed budget and wanted to make some extra money. He went down with  3 others and only stopped for fuel. He made it in 5 days. He had perfect weather and traveled outside all but one place. He went in the Oregon inlet and out in N.C....... He was inside during daylight hours.

Corey Finkelstein

1986 Chriscraft 500
Back to Top Printable version View Monopoly1954's Profile Search for other posts by Monopoly1954

Furman1
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 03 2007 at 10:33 | IP Logged Quote Furman1

I installed the tank inbetween the two engines. This made me move the starting batteries...one directly in front of the starboard engine...the other aft of the tank between the two engines.  My two 8D house batteries are directly in front of the port engines. The switch overs are beneath the 2nd step down.

As far as the flowscans, they were expensive (about 5 boat units) but with fuel like it is and the admiral and I are going to the the great loop we thought it would help.  Plus we're going to the abacos and virgin islands.  I have the flowscans tied to the gps so I get instantaous MPG. I generally run between 1 and 1.33 MPG at trawler speed sometimes a little better.  I also make sure to run up a couple of times a day. (per williams detriot diesel and J&T) With the block heaters, I don't get startup smoke and I never get soot on the transum due to the exhaust diverters.

My engines have 1600 hrs and so far run great. I probally don't run "as new" but a 21 year old boat it does ok.

Furman

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: October 03 2007 at 14:52 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

Furman - where did you put the Glendenning cord retractor?? 

Thanks!

Furman1
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 03 2007 at 15:17 | IP Logged Quote Furman1

Banjoman

It exits on the port side on the transom.  Glendining has a approx. 3 inch pipe with rollers built into it.  This is hidden where the lighting is in the master stateroom on the port side.  I had to go to a smaller light fixure in that chase way.  The glendining barrel and reel is in the corner of the large closet. This corner is directly below the power plug connector on the port side.  There is a small access panel in the upper salon that gives you access to the back of that plug. To exit the transom I had to cut a small access panel in the cabinet back on the port side. (this is the black glass cabinet)  The only problem that this long run causes (and it's really not a problem) is when the cord exits you have to keep a small pull on it to assist in the long run when it reels in that is not necessary.

I also ordered a Hatteras water line quick connector and put just under the glendining on the transom. The water line ran in the same chaseway.

BTW you don't loose any hanging to speak of in the closet.

Furman

Delaware Jim
"Navigator"

Posted: October 04 2007 at 09:54 | IP Logged Quote Delaware Jim

Pete, et.al.,

I'm guessing the prior owner fibbed again.  The HIN on the boat is CCSYE116J484... if the 116 is the hull number, it definately isn't the early one I was led to believe...

Since we got her home in late July, I've been busy on a number of projects:

1.  Removed old 19: TV (defunct) in upper salon and replaced with 16" HDTV and DVD Player.  Hooked up Satellite dish (antenna on dock piling) and installed an off air antenna on radar arch.

2.  Fixed several FW piping leaks and installed 12V pump parallel to 110V unit.  Now I don't need to run the genny to wash my hands.

3.  Installed a 12V sub panel in a galley cabinet to have a forward point to have 12V - don't need to run back to the helm to get power.

4.  Added a Purasan black water treatment system and the Hold n treat system.  This allows me to keep the holding tank, while being able to legally dump most places.

5.  Beginning project to repair dryer in fwd cabin.  While out, I'll replace the three plastic thru hulls under the washer (one is cracked...)

Other short term projects are to get rid of the WTW carpet in the lower salon as all but the small center hatch is covered over - essentially no access to engines!  Will probably do parquet similar to galley, but not sure at this time.

More to come!  Gotta get the 1984 Uniflite aft cabin (36') sold to frr up some finds.

Delaware Jim

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: October 04 2007 at 09:58 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

Furman - Thanks for that info.  That's a very interesting install.  I hadn't seen one done that way.  Did you perform the install?  Do mind me asking what the Glendenning cost was? 

Thanks!

Furman1
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 04 2007 at 10:19 | IP Logged Quote Furman1

Banjo man, I had it done with a very competent local company, if I remember correcty the whole thing cost about 6 thousand including install. As I get older, I was not looking forward to handling the 50ft power cord.  The glending was about 4 grand.

Deleware Jim, If you have the flooring that was on most  Chris Crafts.  It's pattern is called Haden Hall and is still avaible from World Panel Products. Get the ones with the square edges.

Furman

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 04 2007 at 10:56 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

I have a different solution for handling that heavy 50 amp cord.  I simply don't handle it.  Years ago I made up a 50 amp shorty cord about 20' long.  It stays at my home dock nearly all the time.  When I leave the dock for a day trip, the cord stays there and when I get back I just plug it back in.  No cord handling necessary. 

When I go roaming on the bay for a week or two I take the shorty cord with me.  Very often it's long enough to make the hook up.  When it's not then I have to drag out the big cord.  But that only happens a couple times a year.  It's not a fancy solution but most of the time it's easier to use than a Glendinning system and it sure is a hell of a lot cheaper.  I can think of an awful lot of things I would rather spend $4,000 on than a cable handler.

BTW, it's a good idea to lock your 50 amp cable to the boat when you're at docks other than your home port.  The cords cost over $500 and there have been reports of them being stolen; particularly in large cities. Find a padlock big enough to go over the cord but not the plugs. Slip it over the cable and hook in a short length of chain looped around some fixed part of the boat like a cleat.

Pete37

Furman1
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 04 2007 at 11:45 | IP Logged Quote Furman1

Pete that's a great solution. If you don't back into a slip or pull into a slip forward.  I think that solution works great if you parallel the dock.

Furman

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: October 04 2007 at 11:52 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

It was reported this morning that copper theft is at an all-time high.  Homes are literally being vandalized, while folks are away, for copper content.  Wiring, flashing, makes no difference.  So it makes sense that a criminal mind would easily figure out how valuable power cords are

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: October 04 2007 at 12:01 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

Jim - before you put down the Parquet, can I send you a picture of my galley?  I personally do not like Parquet and ripped out the old galley flooring and went with teak & holly laminate over 1/8" plywood.  It's a lot easier to install and easier to cut for hatches, etc.  It really looks great and the linear lines gives the area a "longer" look.  I'd put the picture on here if Pete will tell me how.

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 04 2007 at 12:09 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Delaware Jim,

It's interesting that your hull is #116.  That's a hull I have never been able to get any data on.  I had assumed that #116 was probably "Sea Angel" but obviously it's not.  Now I'll just take the broker's ads for your boat from the "Sea Angel" folder and put them in the #116 "Still in the Mood" folder.  This puts "Jeanne" the unusual 53' conversion in the "China Clipper" #101 spot.  I now have all the 1985 Connie 500s identified except for hull #120.

I had the same carpet problem you have when I bought my boat.  The owner had wall to wall carpet installed and nailed down in the lower salon with no access to the engine room other than through the generator compartment.  That was obviously unacceptable.

I solved the problem by removing all the carpet tacks.  Now I can get at all the engine hatches except the center one by simply rolling the carpet back.  And I have an uninterrupted  carpet.  You might worry about the carpet shifting around but it doesn't.  Unfortunately, I spilled a quart or so of oil in the lower salon this summer and engine oil cannot be completely removed from carpet so I'm going to have to replace the carpet in the lower salon.  The new carpet will be put in so that all the hatches will be accessible by simply rolling the carpet back.  I would recommend that you avoid parquet.  It makes for a very dark, gloomy looking boat and can be slippery.

The DC FW pump is a great idea.  I had it on my list for this summer but got sidetracked when my AC FW pump broke down and had to be replaced.  Regardless of how you get rid of your toilet water convert your heads to FW supply.  Bay water has all sorts of micro-organisms which ferment and die in the bowl making a very unpleasant odor in a boat if left for a few days.

What brand are your plastic thru-hulls?  I've removed about a dozen (mine are Perko) and haven't found a bad one yet.  Furman also had some cracked thru-hulls.  But his boat is a 1986 model and yours is a 1985 model while mine is a late 1987 model.  I wonder if CC changed thru-hull brands?  The Perko thru-hulls are U/L marine listed for above waterline use and the units I have taken out look the same as what I'm putting back in (except for some dirt).  I've tried bending them to see if they are brittle but I can't break them by hand.  I keep mine painted black (the same color as the boot stripe) to prevent UV damage.  However, Perko says their thru-hulls do not UV degrade.

Pete37

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: October 04 2007 at 12:12 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

For the folks who were looking for exhaust extensions:

http://tridentmarine.com/stage/wetex_elbows.htm

Does anyone have the diameter of the exhaust outlets handy?  I'd like to order a couple of 45 degrees elbows but too lazy to drive to Annapolis!  :)

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: October 04 2007 at 16:09 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Banjoman, The exhaust outlets are 8 inch diameter. Furman said he heated his 8 inch exuast elbo's and was able to slip them over the existing sleeve. He then used bolts to secure the connection. Let me know how you make out as I plan to put 45 degree elbo's on also.

Dave

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: October 04 2007 at 16:22 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Delaware Jim, good luck with your eye surgery. I plan to be at the boat Friday around 3:30 or so. I will stop by your boat after my meeting on Saturady. Should be around 12 noon or a little earlier.  If you are up to it I should be around the boat later Friday afternoon, washing the boat. My slip is G8. After I leave for the boat around 1pm Friday I will not have excess to my computer until I get back Sunday night.

Dave

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 04 2007 at 16:54 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Furman,

The long axis of my slip is east/west and I have a bulkhead walkway to the north side.  To the south there is nothing but pilings.  The exit of the slip is on the west side.  My preferred mooring orientation is for the boat to face westward which gives excellent accessibility to the starboard side and stern.  But sometimes I want access to the port side and/or bow.  In that case I moor facing to the east with the port side along the bulkhead.  In either case, the electric outlet is close to the center of the boat so the shorty cord works fine.  If the power outlet was on the east side I could stll use a shorty cord but it might have to be 25-30' feet long.

The main thing is that the shorty cord stays with the dock on all day trips.  All I have to do is plug and unplug it.  And day trips tend to be the most common type of trip. 

When roaming you run into all kinds of slips and in some cases I do have to resort to the 50' cable.  But my experience is that I need it only occasionally.  I took a trip down the ICW a few years ago and also found that the shorty cord was adequate in most cases. 

There's nothing wrong with having a Glendinning cable system provided you have $4,000 and nothing else to do with it.  But for $4,000 I'd much rather have an electric transom davit for my jet boat, or maybe a GPS with a 14" screen, or maybe a new anchor windlass, or maybe a plastic bridge enclosure, or maybe a new jet boat, or maybe professionally installed carpet and curtains throughout or maybe....

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on October 04 2007 at 17:07

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: October 04 2007 at 17:02 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

To all, I have a 12v pump installed and as others have said it is nice not to run the generator just to have running fresh water. Can't believe Chris did not include one as standard equipment. Three questions. (1) Does anyone have a manual for the Fridgidaire washer and dryer combination?  It is the only manual I am missing and I would like a copy of one. (2) I need the heavy duty spring that is the wiper arm blade. Mine rusted and broke. Can't find one large enough. Does anyone know where I can get one? (3) My boat has a 30 amp dockside power outlet mounted on the flybridge on the bottom of helm. What is this for and was it standard equipment?

Speaking of the washer and dryer, the hot water was not going into my washer. I got behind the unit (a little tight!) and found the screen in the fitting was clogged and figure while I was at  it I would replace both the hot and cold hoses for safety and preventative care. I also checked the dryer vent hose. It was rusted, torn and clogged (a fire hazzard). After replacing the vent the dryer perfomance was greatly improved. Replace your washer hoses and dryer vent. They are out of sight for your safety checks and easily forgotten and could cause an unpleasant situation.

Dave

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: October 04 2007 at 17:09 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Banjoman,

Are you planning on using a rubber type exhaust hose elbo or stainless?

Dave

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 04 2007 at 17:41 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Dave,

I repaired one of the wipers about 2 years ago.  In the process I got the name of the wiper manufacturer off the wiper motor and checked the name out on the web.  The manufacturer is still in business but stopped making the wipers years ago and has gone on to bigger and better things.  The wipers were never a big operation and no one seemed to know much about them.  If it's important I can find the name of the wiper manufacturer in my records.

There are a number of marine wiper manufacturers, some of whom are listed in the West Marine catalog on page 649.  I think AFI is probably the most likely source.  You may have to make an adapter to fit their blades to your wiper.  BTW, the wiper drive mechanism is totally different from anything manufactured today.  If you have to replace the drive mechanism you are in for a big job.

I think I may have some data on the washer/dryer but will have to do some looking.

The 30 amp power outlet on the bottom of the flybridge helm is a mystery.  It might have been for an electric winch.  Is it a power outlet or inlet?  Outlets normally have female plugs.

There was no standard 115 power on the flybridge.  I wanted some for miscellaneous work and had to run 115 volt power up to the flybridge.  I now have a 15 amp, 2 plug outlet under the flybridge helm.  It's very handy for running electric tools and lights.  But 30 amps seems like an awful lot of power for just power tools and lights.  Is it live and where are the fuses and switches for it?

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on October 04 2007 at 18:34

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 04 2007 at 18:05 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Dave,

Subj: Wipers and Washer/Dryer

Here's an article I wrote on windshield wipers back in 2005.   Unfortunately it doesn't tell you much about where to get the wiper arms.  Perhaps you will have better success in trcaking down United Technical Services than I did.

Windshield Wipers

The windshield wipers are items that we donít pay much attention to.  But like many parts of our Connies replacement parts arenít available any longer, so if they crap out you will have to buy new wiper systems from a different manufacturer which could (for three wiper systems with installation) cost as much as $1,200.  Therefore it pays to keep them running.

Sometime in the summer of 2004 I noticed that the starboard windshield wiper on my boat wasnít working any more.  I ignored the problem for the rest of the year because it looked a messy job to get up behind the paneling above the lower instrument console to work on the wipers.

Finally in May of 2005 I got up the gumption to tackle the job of fixing the windshield wiper.  Initially I thought the motor was burned out and therefore removed all the wooden panels above the instrument console to get at the wiper motor.  They came out pretty easily with no damage to the panels.

After checking the system out, I found that the motor isnít directly connected to the wiper shaft.  The motor has an arm attached to its shaft and to the end of that arm a long aluminum rod is attached.  The other end of the aluminum rod is attached to the end of an actuator arm attached to the wiper shaft.  As the wiper motor turns, its arm pushes on the aluminum rod and the rod in turn pushes the slave actuator arm attached to the wiper shaft thereby turning the wiper shaft.  It sounds rather complicated but is really rather simple.  It has the advantages that it turns a rotary motion into a back and forth motion and isolates the wiper motors from any salt water seepage that might drain down the wiper shaft.  After removing the aluminum rod from the wiper motor arm, I tested the wiper motor and found that it was in perfect condition.

Based on what I have seen it doesnít seem likely that the motor will ever have to be replaced but it does have the following information on it:

United Technical Services

Electro Systems

Columbus, MS

1961227MO12WC

Service Motor

1901240MO12WC

1/8/85

The motor has a rotating adjustment labeled 0 through 20 which was set to 0 when I first inspected it.  Donít know exactly what this adjustment does.

I did a web search to see if I could find the manufacturer and found that there was a firm called United Technical Services but there was no indication that they ever built windshield wiper systems.

The wiper shaft and slave actuator arm assembly is part number SH-7121076-A but I have no idea where you could get one.

After some investigation I found that the reason the wiper wasnít working was that the shaft connecting the slave actuator arm to the wiper was jammed due to rust and corrosion.  The biggest problem in correcting the malfunction was getting the shaft out for repair.  First the nut holding the wiper pantograph to the shaft was corroded and locked to the shaft.  The trick was to get the nut off the wiper arm without damaging anything.  After using copious amounts of WD40 and care it came free.  Then the bolts holding the wiper shaft assembly to the boat were removed and I had the shaft assembly free of the boat so I could work on it in the shop.  In the shop it was oiled and exercised by driving it with an electric drill and finally ran pretty freely.  The shaft was reassembled to the wiper system and the wiper works beautifully now.

Unfortunately the pantograph arms donít seem to be adjusted properly and are riveted in place.  But that was a problem before the repair and still remains a problem.

If you have wipers that arenít working or are not working well, the first action you should take is to try to remove the nuts holding the wiper pantograph to the wiper shaft.  If they are like the nuts on my boat they will be corroded and badly stuck to the shaft.  Use extreme care and patience in getting the nuts off.  If you damage the wiper shaft assembly there are no replacements and you may have to buy and install a completely new wiper system which means you will have to remove all the paneling over the instrument console.  That is something you definitely donít want to do.

If you are successful in getting the nuts off, remove the pantograph arms, oil the wiper shaft and exercise it by turning the wiper motor on.  Keep exercising and oiling the wiper shaft until it works freely.  If you get it working smoothly there is no reason to do any work inside the boat or to remove any paneling.

If you canít get the nuts off, about all you can do is oil the wiper shaft and hope for the best.  But with the wiper blade and pantograph attached to the wiper shaft it will be difficult to do a good job of exercising the shaft.

There are a number of good windshield wiper systems on the market.  The AFI-2000 in the West Marine catalog at $150 is one example (but not necessarily the best).  You would also probably have to buy a new pantograph and new wiper to fit the new system for about another $75.  That makes the total cost for the parts in a new system about $225.

Based on my experience, I think that the job would take about 8 hours.  So, if you have the yard do it at $50 per hour, the labor would be about $400.  That makes the total cost about $625.  If you decide to do all three wipers at the same time the additional labor would only be about 2 hours since a lot of the labor is simply removing and reinstalling all the paneling necessary to get at the wipers.  This would add another $100 in labor plus, of course, another $550 for two new wiper systems.  A complete replacement of all your windshield wipers (using yard labor) would be about $1175 or if you do it yourself about $675 for parts plus ten hours of your own time for labor.

Fortunately, I didnít have to replace the motor or the shaft/slave arm assembly and if you oil your wiper shafts religiously you probably wonít have to either.  But unfortunately a web search did not produce any hits on United Technical Services that indicated they were the manufacturers of windshield wiper motors.  My advice to you is to oil those wiper shafts regularly while they are still working.  This will probably prevent any problems.

Don't know whether this is any help or not but I did find some data on the washer/dryer.  Unfortunately, there is quite a bit of data including a 100 page manual.  The unit I have is a Frigidaire LC-248D-L-2.  Please confirm that you have the same unit.  I have a phone number for parts, ABC Appliance 410-956-2020.  I believe they are in Annapolis.  BTW, based upon what I have heard, you and I are probably the only humans who have ever ventured behind the washer/dryers since Chris Craft installed them.  Except, perhaps, Furman.  I left a dated plaque behind mine.

Pete37 

Edited by Pete37 on October 04 2007 at 18:33

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 04 2007 at 19:14 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Emory,

You asked how to post pictures.  Here's the answer.

When you are in the editing mode you will see two lines of icons above the text box.  The last one on the right on the top line is called "Image Upload" which uploads files from your PC to your text box.  As we know it doesn't work.  But on the lower line of icons the third icon from the right is labeled "Add Image".  What it will do is transfer any jpg picture from a site on the web to the text box.  The file must be under 100K and its name must end in ".jpg".

The trick is to upload you files to a site on the web and then transfer them to the text box.  I used a site called "Picture Push" which allows you to store a photo album on the web for free.  The catch, of course is that they get your email address.  The instructions are pretty simple.

Before you upload make sure your file on the PC is a "jpg" type and less than 100K.  Also format it to be no wider than 5".  Go to "Picture Push" and upload the picture to your album.  Now right click on the picture and select "Properties". Properties will show the URL address of the picture.  Select and copy the part of the address starting with "www" and ending with "jpg".  Now go to your text box on the Boat US site and click the "Add Image" icon.  A window will apear with a prompt to insert your picture URL address.  Do so and follow instructions and the picture will appear in the text box at the point where the curser was left.  You're done.

It sounds complicated and is the first time.  But once you've done it once or twice it becomes simple.  And once you're sure you've got the picture, close "Picture Push".  Don't put or leave anything personal on "Picture Push".  You may not be able to delete it later.  If you are going to add more pictures leave it open until you've uploaded all your pictures.  Print this post as an aid in doing the "Add Image" process.

Make your picture as small as possible.  If you can get by with 25K do so.  Pictures take up lots of space and if Boat US decides we are using too much space the "Add Image" icon may malfunction too.

Good luck, I'm sure you will be asking more questions,

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on October 04 2007 at 19:17

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: October 04 2007 at 19:39 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Pete,     thanks for the wiper info. It will be a big help as I get into this project. Regarding the outlet on flybridge helm, it is a male  30amp with a stainless screw cap, probably Marinco.  I never thought about where the circuit breaker,fuse, switch or whatever is. I will try and check it out this weekend. It is live and I have an adaptor plug that enables regular 110v 15 amp use. However I have a regular dual 110v outlet under my flybridge bar/sink that the icemaker plugs into that I normally use for any 110v needs. I assume this outlet is standard, so your boat must have one too and your icemaker is plugged in there.  I have my icemaker unplugged as the icemaker never worked since I had the boat and don't think I would use it up there anyway. I could put that $600 (just a guess on the price) icemaker replacement cost to better use. Besides I have two other icemakers on board. 

Dave

]
] ]
150 Pages « 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version