View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Sea Ray
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Sea Ray
Subject Topic: Starting warm engine... Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Gunn
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 05 2006 at 10:52 | IP Logged Quote Gunn

Since I purchased the boat this summer and have been using it, anytime we've been cruising around awhile and I shut it off (anywhere from a minute to 15 or so), I have to give the engine about 1/4 throttle and then crank it over. It will pretty much fire up quickly. If I don't give it any throttle at all, it will just turn over and not fire. Is this correct behavior?

Since this is a carbureted engine, I thought back to back in the day when we didn't have fuel injected cars. I thought the warm-start procedure was to step a bit on the accelerator. So this may actually be correct.

The other thing suspect though and makes me wonder is that if I shut the engine off when it is warm, and if I don't let it idle for a good 20 or more seconds, it will run-on when I try to turn off the key. I'm wondering if maybe the timing is a bit off. Once thing I have never checked since I've owner her, but need to do.

Tom

reelworld
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 09 2006 at 20:42 | IP Logged Quote reelworld

I don't think every engine is the same. Depending on different factors such as fuel delivery, type of ignition and engine temp. The engines I have used most recently were a 140hp Merc 4cyl, 230hp 5.0 merc w/4bbl carb and 260hp merc inboards with 4bbl carbs. All of these motors will fire right up at idle after only being off for a minute. After they sit for 15 minutes of for several hours after being run for several hours I will crack the throttle just a hair and they fire up. I always let my engines idle for a minute of usually longer as we come into our marina at idle before shuting down. If I use the gas to do some last minute parking I will still let it idle while I check lines and tie up the boat, and never shut down till it is tied up. Your case sounds like it could be a timing issue but i would hazard to guess you might want to look into things such as replacing the cap, rotor and plugs while checking the timing. The timing may be fine but something else is not advancing correctly or it could be getting stuck in advance. I don't know much about the Merc timing components other than I change them every year for the type of service we require of our engines which is about 150 hrs and lots of trolling.  

midway
"Seaman"

Posted: October 10 2006 at 07:10 | IP Logged Quote midway

I have 4.3L carb engine, I just trun key after it has been run and it starts right up, it will even start after sitting for several hours. Not run for a week I have to pump throttle to start, overnight I open throttle enough to set choke and it will start. I do not have turn key start either.

Gunn
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 10 2006 at 13:24 | IP Logged Quote Gunn

Thanks guys. I have the electronic ignition for this 3.0 so now rotor, etc. I did replace the spark plugs this year, so I think I will replace all the ignition components that need replacing at the end of the season. That could well be it.

Puddle Duck
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 10 2006 at 15:51 | IP Logged Quote Puddle Duck

I have a 2006 175  3.0 and it is very slow to start. BUT they told me that it requires the oil pressure to be above 40 psi before the ing. is hot. So it has to crank for a little while to get the oil pressure up. Other then that it is a dream to run.

Puddle Duck II

Back to Top Printable version View Puddle Duck's Profile Search for other posts by Puddle Duck

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version