View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Carver
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Carver
Subject Topic: "tippy" 26 foot flybridge cruiser Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
peppers4u
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 03 2006 at 23:18 | IP Logged Quote peppers4u

Hi,

I own a 1984 26 foot Carver flybridge cruiser, with a single 260 HP Volvo and an 8 foot beam.  My problem is turning this boat.  Once I get up to any significant speed and try to turn the boat in anything but a VERY gradual turn, the boat leans not INTO the turn like most other boats I have owned, but to the outside of the turn, which makes most passengers very uncomfortable.  I have tried loading up ona all the gas and water she will take (146 gallons) to increase ballast, in the hopes this will keep her a little more upright when turning, but this has not worked either.  Any suggestions to overcome this problem?

Thanks!

TranquilityBase
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 04 2006 at 13:36 | IP Logged Quote TranquilityBase

I cruised the 26 Carver you mentioned and also found it to feel very tippy while on the fly bridge.  I recall playing with the trim tabs while underway and causing the boat to lean alarmingly.

My solution was to move to the 28 Carver with 11'1" beam.  Problem solved. 

That 26 Carver was the most difficult boat I've ever had to dock, while the 28 with twin engines may be the easiest.
Back to Top Printable version View TranquilityBase's Profile Search for other posts by TranquilityBase

P-47
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 23 2006 at 05:36 | IP Logged Quote P-47

Hi Tom,

I own a 1986 26 foot Santa Cruz, which I assume is the same as or similar to what you are describing.  I've only owned the boat for about a season and a half (we live up north so only have the summer season).  I experienced two occasions where, for reasons I was not able to learn, the boat pitched the wrong way while initiating gentle turns.  My first and really only idea was to check out the trim tabs, which included a visual check to make sure both tabs were fully in the neutral position.  I did find that having the water tank full has helped with steering and balance, but for whatever reason, after those two incidents that occurred on the same day, the boat has handled fine.  Bottom line - I would recommend that you make sure the trim tabs are working properly.

Berwyn

Back to Top Printable version View P-47's Profile Search for other posts by P-47

syzygyone
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 24 2009 at 16:22 | IP Logged Quote syzygyone

Quote: TranquilityBase
I cruised the 26 Carver you mentioned and also found it to feel very tippy while on the fly bridge.  I recall playing with the trim tabs while underway and causing the boat to lean alarmingly.

My solution was to move to the 28 Carver with 11'1" beam.  Problem solved. 

That 26 Carver was the most difficult boat I've ever had to dock, while the 28 with twin engines may be the easiest.

I've  had the exact same experience and want to solve it the way you did.  What particular model did you get?  Is that the 28 Santa Cruz?  or the 2808?

Back to Top Printable version View syzygyone's Profile Search for other posts by syzygyone

vloos
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 31 2009 at 15:08 | IP Logged Quote vloos

I too recently purchased an '86 Carver Flybridge and the same happens when underway. In fact, just this past Saturday I thought we were actually going to capsize it healed so far over. I quickly pulled back on the throttle and I think it actually made it worse. Spilled my coke all over and dumped the cabin, too.

It's not only from the flybridge, this has happens, but from the lower station, also, but not as severe.

So what causes this? Is it a defect in the hull design? The hull doesn't seem to be a bad shape, it's a sleek Deep V.

Someone has to have some answer.....

I'm tempted to sell/trade her off for a Bayliner Discovery 288, but I really like the classic Carver look.

syzygyone
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 31 2009 at 16:49 | IP Logged Quote syzygyone

Quote: vloos

I too recently purchased an '86 Carver Flybridge and the same happens when underway. In fact, just this past Saturday I thought we were actually going to capsize it healed so far over. I quickly pulled back on the throttle and I think it actually made it worse. Spilled my coke all over and dumped the cabin, too.

It's not only from the flybridge, this has happens, but from the lower station, also, but not as severe.

So what causes this? Is it a defect in the hull design? The hull doesn't seem to be a bad shape, it's a sleek Deep V.

Someone has to have some answer.....

I'm tempted to sell/trade her off for a Bayliner Discovery 288, but I really like the classic Carver look.

I also enojy the classic look.  However, I'm convinced that this roll tendancy is a function of the beam of the boat.  I don't know how the chines are on the Carver but I have square chines on my Sea Ray Sedan Bridge and I have the same tippiness issues.  It's worse when the flybridge is occupied as that increase the weight out on the end of the moment arm.  But, any weight shift is noticable, even that of less substantial opccupants.  I also know that when on plane, the boat is VERY sensitive to tab changes.  I've learned to steer into the roll as the best way to counteract the momentum.  Slowing down abruptly only seems to exacerbate the situation in the short term.

I think the answer is to just get one with a 9'6" beam or bigger.   Kind of cuts out the trailering aspect but I think this is why you just don't see many 8' beam larger boats.

Edited by syzygyone on August 31 2009 at 16:56
Back to Top Printable version View syzygyone's Profile Search for other posts by syzygyone

Out'nAbout
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 31 2009 at 17:45 | IP Logged Quote Out'nAbout

The Flybridge design on a small narrow beamed boat caused a higher center of gravity. Couple this with a deep V & all this created instability. On a narrow beamed boat a deep V will encourage roll but you can cut a chop easier making a better ride. You'll need to be on guard to avoid a Beam Sea (no broadside wave action) The boat needs a lower center of gravity to be more stable. This can sometimes be corrected with more ballest weight centered in the bilge as low as possible. Sort of the way a sailboat is balanced. A wider beam would also help but there's not much you can do about that? Any things you bring onto the boat should also be stored with this problem in mind. In addition, prior to making your turn use the trimtab as follows: If you're going to turn Starboard (right turn) use the Port (left) Trim Tab. This should help a lot.

Edited by Out'nAbout on August 31 2009 at 17:50

Back to Top Printable version View Out'nAbout's Profile Search for other posts by Out'nAbout

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version