View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Sea Ray
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Sea Ray
Subject Topic: Delamination Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
bigboater
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 25 2006 at 15:45 | IP Logged Quote bigboater

Although delamination is possible on any cored boat I've had over $50,000 in delamination problems with my Sea Ray over the past two years.  Any one else having these issues?
Back to Top Printable version View bigboater's Profile Search for other posts by bigboater

bayrat3
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 18 2006 at 09:01 | IP Logged Quote bayrat3

I have a 1989 searay 380 aft cabin. I have some delamination on the bow deck. I'm getting ready to repair it with west system products. I used it before and works pretty good

bigboater
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 18 2006 at 10:46 | IP Logged Quote bigboater

My boat is a 460 Sea Ray.  Two years ago delamination was detected from the chine to the waterline around the entire hull.  Test holes had water running out.  The solution was to remove the outer skin, remove the balsa core, force dry the areas, reinstall a balsa core and outer skin.  Costs exceeded $30,000 and took over three months.  The cause of the delamination was not properly sealing through hull perferations.  When I contacted Sea Ray they sent me a PR 101 letter explaining that my warentee had expired, thanking me for purchasing a Sea Ray and asking me to consider Sea Ray for my future boating purchases.

Last year all railings and cockpit hatches were removed due to further delamination.  Around the railings the areas had to be reemed out and fiberglas injected.  The hatches were removed, the lower skins removed, soggy balsa core removed and dried. Balsa was again applied to the back sides and this was encapsalated with fiberglas skins.  Additional costs for these repairs were $20,000.  Same problem in manufactureing caused this problem.  The manufacturer just drills holes to mount railings, fittings etc.  Bolts, screws etc are then bedded in silicone.  As the boat ages (Out of warrentee) water enters the core and delamination occurrs.

Proper construction of cored hulls would consist of drilling the hole, removing the balsa around the hole, filling the cavity with fiberglas and then redrilling the hole through the solid fiberglas.  Then water could not enter the core and delaminate.

The

Back to Top Printable version View bigboater's Profile Search for other posts by bigboater

gjackson
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 18 2006 at 10:51 | IP Logged Quote gjackson

Bigboater...

Would you ever consider another Sea Ray?  We thinking of jumping ship to Formula.

Back to Top Printable version View gjackson's Profile Search for other posts by gjackson

bayrat3
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 18 2006 at 13:37 | IP Logged Quote bayrat3

WOW!! What year is your searay? Mine is a 1989, the deck delamination is from decorative rails on the bow that aren't through bolted. Looks like their embeded in silcone, really crappy for Searay. The hands rails are all through bolted and the glass looks good, no sign of any water. I'm leaving the boat in the water this year (never done that before). I had the bottom barrier coated last spring. Next winter I'm really going to check out all my though hulls and other things below the waterline. Everything looked good last winter.   Keeping a older boat (nomatter what make) nice is catching small items before they become big issues.

bigboater
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 18 2006 at 16:28 | IP Logged Quote bigboater

My 460 is a 1987.  The first sign of delamination was a basketball sized void above the waterline in 1990.  This was taken care of by Sea Ray.  Prior to this time I had purchased 3 new Sea Rays with no problems but I had never kept one this long.  Do you suppose they only expect the hulls to last 5 years and that is why they only offer a 5 year warrentee?

sbw1
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 19 2006 at 10:30 | IP Logged Quote sbw1

Cored boats are problems if the through hulls are placed in a cored area and you are not meticuous about maintenance. It does appear that SRs have had a fair share of the problems, maybe even more than a fair share. It's hard to tell because this is a very common problem, but SR sells lots of boats. Formula is not immune from the issue. The 41 Performance Cruiser had cockpit delaminination issues related to how the transom door was installed. To the company's credit, it made the rounds during winter layup season and repaired or arranged repairs for effected boats before the customers noticed a problem. I switched to a differant brand after owning 3 SRs. I'm not sure they would be as attentive to this issue should it develop as Formula or in my case Tiara would be. There is also the matter of the way SR does things such as drilling into cores without always bedding the areas properly. It just made me nervous about future maintenance costs. 
Back to Top Printable version View sbw1's Profile Search for other posts by sbw1

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version