View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Eastern
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Eastern
Subject Topic: Happy 31 Owner Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Melkal
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 16 2006 at 19:19 | IP Logged Quote Melkal

I have had two 31's, one without a flybridge and the current one has a flybridge. My wife and I have travelled in them from Mt Desert, ME to Annapolis, MD. This year we cruised ME for five weeks. This is a great boat, handles well in heavy weather, and is ultra-reliable.

I installed an autopilot myself (on both boats), and interfaced the electronics. I even have a solution to the center window "eye pokers" that I can share with pictures. Would be happy to discuss any issues.

Happy to see this forum.

lincolnw
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 30 2006 at 07:57 | IP Logged Quote lincolnw

I have just ordered a 31 - with a fly bridge. Any thoughts you might share would be appreciated. Are there things you wish you included but did not - are there things you ordered but do not need- what are you doing about a tender/dinghy. Also  any thoughts on auto pilots ? They are quite expensive.

Thanks

Melkal
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 30 2006 at 09:33 | IP Logged Quote Melkal

Hi,

There are a number of suggestions for the flybridge, most of which I implemented after the fact that obviously would be easier at the factory. None are a big deal. First, the aft seat with the swingback that was supplied in 2002 does not seat two adults, maybe two skinny adults. But the manufacturer of that seat makes a larger seat (Todd) that can be used instead. It does not have an insulated seat bottom, but is large enough to accept a fairly large cooler. I found it in the Boaters World catalog. If you have a problem locating it, call Todd, I believe thay are in RI. Second, you have to think bout where you are going to mount your electronics/radios/external speakers. There is not much dash space and the boat I bought had a compass error of 35 degrees due to the improper installation of the external vhf speaker (I bought the boat used, I do not know who installed the electronics). So, my solution was to build and install a vertical panel, in the center of the flybridge from the dash to the floor. On it I installed the vhf, a pull out drawer (for all that little stuff like cellphones/handhelds, suntan lotion, etc). I placed the external speaker somewhere on it, in a place that doesn't interfere with the compass. (I can't send a picture, the boat is now wrapped). Finally, across the beam of the bridge, on the deck, I placed a 1 1/4" "cleat" made out of starboard and screwed it to the deck. This keeps the things you store under the flybridge from sliding back. You can even add some eyepads on the inside edge to secure things!

Autopilot: We cruise a lot, if you do you will want a pilot. I used Raymarine, because thats whose electronics were on the boat. Little tricky to install, but if you decide to go with Raymarine let me know I have some pictures of the rudder feedback arm I fabricated that makes life easy.

Good luck.

Melkal
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 30 2006 at 09:41 | IP Logged Quote Melkal

Forgot your question on davits. I use St Croix davits. They are high quality. On the Eastern you will have to add some supports from the underside of the top edge of the transom to the floor to trasfer the load or you will break the transom combing. There is a lot of force on those long arms!

A friend of mine just installed another brand whose name escapes me , but it is a swimplatform mounted deal. It worked out well this season. I will try to find the info.

The maker of the swimplatform type is Roskelly/Ollsen #275. All the weight is carried by the platform, and seemed to work flawlessly. http://www.boatdavit.com/

Edited by Melkal on November 01 2006 at 06:44

lincolnw
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 31 2006 at 15:19 | IP Logged Quote lincolnw

Thanks for your comments.

Lincoln

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]