View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Carver
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Carver
Subject Topic: 2004 420 mariner Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
ernien
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 14 2006 at 21:50 | IP Logged Quote ernien

Hello all stations! I am a midwest carver 420 mariner owner, and would like to hear and chat with other carver owners of this model to exchange information and tall tales! I will reply to any messages posted.

Out'nAbout
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 08 2007 at 14:56 | IP Logged Quote Out'nAbout

Ernien, how well do you like your model? I know it was discontinued but I always liked the layout & what looked like good 1 person handling ability? I had told my brotherinlaw to buy a 420 but he chicked out :)

Back to Top Printable version View Out'nAbout's Profile Search for other posts by Out'nAbout

ernien
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 10 2007 at 12:34 | IP Logged Quote ernien

My wife and I love it, even for extended days-on end. It is no problem single-handing the boat, once you get use to your sight lines when backing down into the slip. I had to get a VOX headset for the wife and me, right after we got the boat, as she had issued a few loud expletives (overheard some distance down the dock), as I came to a too close approach situation between the dock and port rear quarter while stuffing it back in the slip. Once yo get use to the sight lines and lack of visibility over the stern while backing, it's a great boat. We have had two new Carvers, and this one has been virtually trouble free. Tell 'em he's missing out, this is a great, roomy boat!

Out'nAbout
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 11 2007 at 19:39 | IP Logged Quote Out'nAbout

Can I inquire as to your engines? Gas, Diesel? How about cruise & top speed along with burn rate? Maybe one day I'll sell my hotel :)

Back to Top Printable version View Out'nAbout's Profile Search for other posts by Out'nAbout

ernien
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 13 2007 at 14:33 | IP Logged Quote ernien

Engines are gas, merc 8.1l/375hp <we have no diesel on our lake>. Great cruise speed is 3400rpm, gives between 14-16kts., depending on fuel load and wife load on board! I estimate we're burning about 20-25gph at that speed.

Wanna' trade?!

Out'nAbout
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 13 2007 at 18:09 | IP Logged Quote Out'nAbout

Trade...Don't tempt me. Although I can cruise at 24 knots all day long (she tops out at 29 knots) when you pull up to the gas dock bring a sack of cash. She will hold 800 Gals and burn 75 GPH top and 60 GPH crusing.

ernien
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 14 2007 at 14:02 | IP Logged Quote ernien

Holy crappers! You must have the BIG volvo's in that puppy! Do you usually cruise at 24kts., or do you try and keep her under 20? What part of the world are you berthed in?

Out'nAbout
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 14 2007 at 15:39 | IP Logged Quote Out'nAbout

Yep, twin Volvo 675 HP D12's and I always hit top end for part of the cruise. I'm in Staten Island, New York that's less then 10 miles from Ground Zero in Manhattan. Depending on sea conditions and how many guests have loose food & drink 20 knots is fine for sedate cruise, but it feels like I'm standing still? Maximum cruise economy per mile is the exact same from 17 to 24 knots. This girl was made to get you there. It lays down a chop real nice and handles very well. It's just way too big to go exploring anymore. My next size is going to be under 50. Something I can jump on & go by myself. Otherwise I really love the boat.

ernien
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 14 2007 at 16:18 | IP Logged Quote ernien

Yeah, I thought you had the big honkers in her! Our next will be between 45-50, perfect size, will probably go for a diesel trawler (8-10kts.) when I'M ready to slow down. The 420 is a great day boat or one week long max. cruise duration, good boat with the volvo diesels also....wish I had diesel available on our lake (Beaver Lake in N. West Arkansas).

For comfort, space, ease of handling, I highly recommend the 420!

Out'nAbout
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 14 2007 at 20:47 | IP Logged Quote Out'nAbout

Beaver Lake must be a lot larger then it sounds? Is it that they don't allow diesels ?

ernien
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 16 2007 at 11:32 | IP Logged Quote ernien

It is 26,000 acres plus, 750 miles of shoreline. It's not that they don't allow diesels, it's kind of in the backcountry of the Ozarks, and there is just now a few "big boats" appearing on the lake. No demand for diesel. OUr marina owner has told me that if I buy a Carver 53 or 57 and put it here (he is the Mid-Southwest Carver dealer also) -he would install diesel for us :) sure, I said!

Out'nAbout
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 16 2007 at 12:55 | IP Logged Quote Out'nAbout

Have you had a chance to look at the Marquis Yachts? They just came out with a Marquis 55' but the 59' or 65' are the ones I'd consider. They can be set uo with the even bigger MTU Diesels, As nice as the Carvers Are the Marquis are even finer. If you have a chance see one. The Master Suite is FANTASIC. I looked at one here with my wife just a few months ago and it has many initial "M" etched into the designs...My wife thinks it's for her "Marge". Looks like I'll be 106 when I retire :)

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version