View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

May-Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>May-Craft
Subject Topic: ANY MAYCRAFTS OUT THERE Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
ed panzella
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 13 2006 at 19:06 | IP Logged Quote ed panzella

This is my 3rd season on "BAITS MOTEL" here in Connecticut. It's a 2450 Maycraft Pilothouse w/twin 115 Yamaha 4-strokes. I trailer it exclusivly and just love the boat. This boat will fish up a storm, pull a skier, or be "home" for a long weekend. Everyone seems to like the boat yet I never see any around. Any other Maycrafts out there? 

sgsjohno
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 14 2006 at 11:33 | IP Logged Quote sgsjohno

Just got my new 2300 Pilot Housewith a 225 Yammi in August and we love it. Great all around pocket cruiser. So far so good. Just took it in for 20 hour service. The four stroke is amazing, quiet and good fuel burn rate. Will push the boat to over 44 kts.

Back to Top Printable version View sgsjohno's Profile Search for other posts by sgsjohno

ed panzella
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 14 2006 at 19:59 | IP Logged Quote ed panzella

John,

Sounds like quite a rocket ship. We looked at a 23oo PH, nice boat. We were trying to decide between a 2300 and a 2550 when a 2450 (I discontinued model, I believe) turned up on the used market so we split the difference and went for it. These Maycrafts sre such well built boats I'm surprised they're not all over the place. Doncha just luv these 4-strokes? The Yamahas are so quiet people keep trying to start them when they're already running! That sounds like a great combination you have there, John,  good luck with it. 

CCDAPPMAN
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 18 2006 at 14:15 | IP Logged Quote CCDAPPMAN

My brothers and I also had a our PH2300 delivered in August, it was about a month late, but worth the wait. Our Yahama 225 four stroke is just great, and we pulled it out of the water this weekend for it's 10 hr service. Visibility is great for us short guys, which is a big plus. The only negative comments are that there are no cup holders, and we experienced faulty windshield wipers (went on, but would not turn off.) The problem seemed to come from the self parking circuit, but the problem went away after I did some trouble shooting. There are a few of them down in Tuckerton NJ where we keep her, not it is not a main stream boat.

sgsjohno
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 18 2006 at 16:44 | IP Logged Quote sgsjohno

I just took my new 2300PH down to Collins for its 20 hour and I am having the exact same problem with the wipers. Can't turn them off. I just disconnected the switch. What was your fix? Fortunately I have not needed to run them. Other than that, no problems. Mine was about 6 weeks late also. I stoppped at the plant and they said they were swamped and running behind, so I knew I  was going to get it late. It was woth the wait.

Back to Top Printable version View sgsjohno's Profile Search for other posts by sgsjohno

CCDAPPMAN
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 18 2006 at 19:53 | IP Logged Quote CCDAPPMAN

Hi John:

Did you get the port side wiper option? We did, and I feel the problem lies in that wiper. I systematically disconnected the the power to the wipers and then the power to the self park circuit. I am pretty sure that the problem is in the self park in the port side wiper, as it does not stop at the full end of travel. BUT, now they are working again, on and off as normal trouble shootin is hard.

I orginally thought the problem was in the switch itself as some cheap switches can arc over from too much current and latch on. I called Chad May, and told him of my problem. He said that he never heard of this problem, but would send a switch. (A month later and no switch.) You might want to call Chad and tell him you have the same problem. I am sure that this problem will show it's face again, and like last time, I just pulled the hot wire off the switch while under way, but this is no cure for a $50k boat.

BTW- We experienced a weired problem with the fuel gauge. Even though we had  less ~10 gallons left, the gauge read 3 bars. I believe the problem had to do with where the sender location is. It is at the stern of the tank, and when the boat is sitting flat, the gauge read nearly empty, but when on plane, it read 3/8 full. It is a good thing we keep track of time/fuel useage.

Let me know how you make out if you call Chad.

sgsjohno
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 18 2006 at 20:31 | IP Logged Quote sgsjohno

Yes I got two wipers. I bought the boat from Collins in Smithfield, NC who are about 10 miles from MayCraft's factory. I left the boat at Collins today for service and told them about the wiper problem. I'm letting them work it out as a warrenty issue. I have not had any fuel gauge issues. When it shows three bars I have about 30 gallons left. I am tempted to get a fuel monitoring gauge as that is always an issue with boat fuel gauges. I try to keep a log on hours and estimate gas usage on a 4 gallon per hour basis. Seems to workout in the short run. Don't have enough time on the boat to have worked it out accurately. I'll try to let you know what solution Collins comes up with on the wipers.  Also asked Collins to install a horn, could not belive the baot came without one. Also got the bow pulpit and was startled to find that there was no access to the anchor locker. Installed a hawse pipe and chain tensioner to hold the anchor in the pulpit. Maycraft seems to skimp on the hardware.

CCDAPPMAN
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 19 2006 at 08:34 | IP Logged Quote CCDAPPMAN

John:

We did not purchase ours from the local dealer, but traveled about 50 miles to get the best deal at Bry's. So trailering the boat back up there for a simple problem might not be worth it. We went for a trumpet horn mounted vertically between the windows (dealer installed). I bet we have sister boats as we also went for the bow pulpit. The dealer installed a round ~1.5 inch SS through hull fitting, (a bit too small as the chain link connector gets hung up) but this is the best way to drop your rode into the rope locker. We will most likely end up installing an oval one which should have been installed in the first place.

I am OK with them skimping on hardware as you can always add that stuff later on. I am most concerned with the hull fabrication and materials, which I am happy so far with.

Yes, please let me know what Collins comes up with on the wipers.

CCDAPPMAN
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 19 2006 at 09:28 | IP Logged Quote CCDAPPMAN

John:

I just had another thougth. Your first posting said that your boat will do 44kts. Are you sure it is kts? What prop do you have? Ours will do about 40mph with a standard Yamaha alum w/19pitch.  

sgsjohno
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 19 2006 at 11:11 | IP Logged Quote sgsjohno

Since the boat is not here I don't know the diameter and pitch but it's a stainless Yamaha saltwater series prop. Yes, the speed was knots per my GPS. I'll let you know when I get the boat back next week. I'm having Lenco trim tabs installed so I need to run some speed trials and I'll let you know those numbers and the RPM's.

CCDAPPMAN
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 19 2006 at 14:06 | IP Logged Quote CCDAPPMAN

John:

OK, thanks. So that is ~50mph WOW! My boat has trim tabs, but I am still experimenting with them, and my prop did not have a diameter number. I could have measured it, but that would have been too easy. Yes, please give your details when you get your boat back.

sgsjohno
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 27 2006 at 15:16 | IP Logged Quote sgsjohno

Just spoke to Collins regardinig the wiper problem. You're correct about the park problem. It seems that both wipers must park at the same time and this does not happen. Their solution is to wire each motor to a separate switch. This is no problem on my boat as I didn't use all the switches. Hope this helps.

CCDAPPMAN
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 27 2006 at 15:39 | IP Logged Quote CCDAPPMAN

John;

Thanks for checking up on this. I would think that there would be a more sophisticated solution such as isolation diodes. Having a seperate switch can not be the fix on higher priced boats. (Please tell me if I am wrong.) I wonder what Maycraft's fix is? This is really a manufacturer's problem as they offer it as an option, and having a switch for each wiper is not a solution I want to live with.

Al

sgsjohno
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 27 2006 at 16:14 | IP Logged Quote sgsjohno

I agree that Maycraft should have a fix. How complicated can this be? Everyone offers two wipers or even three. On my 1950's Ulrichsen skiff both wipers worked off one switch and it seems as cars solved this one in the 1930's. It doesn't bother me to have two switches since I so rarely have use for wipers. Let me know if Maycraft tells you any fix.

CCDAPPMAN
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 27 2006 at 16:20 | IP Logged Quote CCDAPPMAN

Just figured the easiest and best way to solve this. A double pole switch. DPST ie one side of the switch for each wiper...they would be totally isolated and controlled by a single switch. Now we need to see if they are available in the switch configureation that is standard on Maycraft.

Al

CCDAPPMAN
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 04 2006 at 18:38 | IP Logged Quote CCDAPPMAN

John:

Did you get a chance to take a look at your prop's pitch and diameter? Also, the WOT RPMs?

BTW- Does anyone out there know if the Mays at Maycraft are on vacation? I sent an email and left a voice message for Chad May, and as of tonight, I have not heard back from them and it's been about a week. 

sgsjohno
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 05 2006 at 17:42 | IP Logged Quote sgsjohno

The prop is a Yamaha Saltwater Series Stainless marked 19-T, 15 1/4

I ran some speed tests per my GPS, and yes it's knots, as follows:

3000 RPM - 15.2 kts, 3500 - 24.2, 4000 - 28.0, 4300 - 30.0, 4500 32.0, 5000 - 35.4, 5300 - 38.3, 5500 - 39.5,  WOT 5700-5800 - 41.2

It was calm, had about 75 gallons of gas, just me and the usual gear on board. Fresh water, lake temp. 87 (it's a Duke Power lake used for cooliing a very large coal fired generation plant, it will get up to the high 90-'s during the summer).

I'm still learning how to use the new Lenco trim tabs (24"). They make quite a difference at lower speeds. I don't think it will go any faster than 41 kts. but that seems to me to be pretty good. It cruises beautifully between 3500 & 4000.

CCDAPPMAN
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 05 2006 at 19:22 | IP Logged Quote CCDAPPMAN

John:

Thanks! This is great feedback on prop selection.

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version