View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Bayliner
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Bayliner
Subject Topic: New Ideas Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
tomorrowcame
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 11 2006 at 08:03 | IP Logged Quote tomorrowcame

Just a short hello from Cape Coral, FL. I have a 1990 2651 Cierra that has undergone a lot of restoration in the last 3 years. Anyone with any questions that I may help on, please ask. I have done almost everything there is to do on this boat, including changing the gas tank. (Several mechanics said it couldn't be done without pulling the motor)WRONG!

Back to Top Printable version View tomorrowcame's Profile Search for other posts by tomorrowcame

4's enough
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 11 2006 at 10:20 | IP Logged Quote 4's enough

Hi Bill,

One fast one...have you ever used anti fouling paints coating on your hull? if so brand and how well do they work. Im a writer for Heartlamd Boating 10 yrs and want to do an article on anti fouling paints.

have been boating for more than 50 years...and have crossed the great lakes many times...and visited the ports of call on Superior..(Brrrr)Lake Michigan,green bay (see the latest article..and front cover of this months issue) lake huron and how can we forget 5 trips to the North Channels canadian waters of the rock strewn Huron.

We have towed for all of those years until fuel prices have made it impossible for us to aford outtings. thanks to a new ETHANOL plant 1/8 mile from our home in rockford Ill (40 yrs)we have sold and moved out of the area. We have bought a new home nicer than our old..(homes cost a lot less in the south) in a wonderful town in SOMERSET KY. We are 5 miles up the hill from the largest man made lake in the nation...Lake Cumberland !  Average depth is 80 feet! no more dangerous weather to worry about AND year around boating. Fuel costs are also 30 cents less AND NO ETHANOL IN THE FUEL TO DAMAGE CYLINDER WALLS OF YOUR MOTOR (ETHANOL REMOVES THE OIL COATING DEPOSITED  BY THE OIL CONTROL RINGS OF THE PISTON MAKING FOR MANY JUNKED MARINE (& road) ENGINES LONG BEFORE THEIR TIME.(2 cycles also take a beating..chain saws,leaf blowers ect..expect those little guys to be scrapped withn 20;;30 hrs of use!!Sorry about those with 2 cycle out bds...start saving $25,K to replace those with 4 cycles very soon!!

Not much is disclosed as to how the plants destroy the air and water...a million gals a day for our new plant!!!!24/7/365! and then dumped into the rivers...read about the by products of ethanol plants in the gulf of Mexico...(I also boated on the Mississippi til the gel coat was eaten off in 24 hrs from the wast discharges along the IOWA and other touching stats. All the plants have to do to by pass the terrible polution is to apply for a special lic from the EPAof that state..$50,000 and your able to dump ANYTHING ANYWHEE...AND ANY BY PRODUCTS INTO THE AIR. These plants dump over 250 TONS of cancer causing ash into the air we breath !! many in ILL..my once "home" state are to be built..expect over 8 within 20 miles!! (Rockford Ill)this is the largest spoof upon the plubic in my life time. hydrogin is the answer..not this crappola! Investers and those with big bucks will make 20X investments  guarented by our taxes!!(US GOVERMENT "suds"

The product cannot be made at a profit and needs billions (tax credits) to stay afloat. yes we need to be independent...but not by lying to the people telling all "it burns clean" ..hiding what happens when its made!!

As for restoration our Bayliner is in its 28 year> I have replaced the fuel tank..97 gals..down the center..due to corrision hidden from view because of on underside..thanks to a keen eye of a BOAT US rep adjuster..many salt water boaters have been lost due to fire and bad things due to thin tanks. My new tank was double thickness..(gauge) double welded seams and special coated. new length wise stringers (2x8) replaced the orig 2x4s for better strength from the beatings of 6foot seas on those great lakes. It powered with a most reliable 225hp chev 305 block... by VOLVO PENTA and hanging on the transom is their huge..and clumsy looking houseboat I/O drive...the 280...never  once let us stranded in over thousands of hrs of great lakes crossings.  and pleasure boating

I have done many articles in HB with this little "pocket cruiser" and as for your vessel spending those $$ on your s will be well rewarded. having the aft cabin and 2 children..now grown and married with their own families) was really nice on those 3 week cruises.

I now slip our boat..and have found  due to no anti fouling paint and marine growth we no longer can get our boat to plane !!! The water is by all appearances wonderfully clear..but still the surface adheason and problems. I wrote bob Adraince at Boat us...editor and he says...yes.its the problem.

Those that have our model..the SARATOGA 2450 can also ask questions as you have. id say change that fuel tank.... Ethanol for sure does damage to aluminum metals along with normal moisture build up!!

you can view a digital of our boat on the lead in page of HEARTLAND BOATING MAG , com..it was taken in the pristine waters of lake huron in the north channel.

Safe boating and looking for a reply as to anti coatings...ill mention your experiences in my coming article next season. We will leave our boat in till late fall...good weather in the 60s till then.many bot all year long down here as freezing is rare.

Cliff steele Contributing writer and boater.

Back to Top Printable version View 4's enough's Profile Search for other posts by 4's enough

tomorrowcame
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 11 2006 at 10:59 | IP Logged Quote tomorrowcame

Cliff, sorry I can't comment on the anti-fouling paints. My boat is kept on a lift and, because of year-round boating in Florida, couldn't comment on the winterizing either. (I'm spoiled!) As far as the tank removal, I consider myself an "expert" at that. (Baptism by fire, no pun intended). The only down side to the replacement process was the three days of itching! After cleaning the bilge area under the tank, I lined it with 1/2" styrofoam boards for extra cushion. Once fitted, all four corners were then filled with liquid construction foam. Replaced the floor panel I cut and that was pretty much it. The tank came out the aft cabin walkway and up the steps with no problem.

Back to Top Printable version View tomorrowcame's Profile Search for other posts by tomorrowcame

laip51
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 20 2006 at 23:23 | IP Logged Quote laip51

HI Bill:  I have an '89 2650 Ciera. Was wondering what difference with 2651? 
Back to Top Printable version View laip51's Profile Search for other posts by laip51

tomorrowcame
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 21 2006 at 07:40 | IP Logged Quote tomorrowcame

LAIP51

There are a few differences: You have a radar arch and a rail around the stern seat. I have neither. You have two bow hatches, mine has one and you probably have shore power. I think the 2651 was the cheaper model. Also, your L-Lounge wraps around toward the access door for the cabin, mine stops with no turn. I don't know how to send pictures from this forum but if you email me @ bill@visionintegrators.net , we can exchange some photos. Happy Boating! (Where is your home port?)

pj_br549
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 18 2006 at 22:36 | IP Logged Quote pj_br549

Hey Bill I would like to add a back up battery to my 219.  Maybe its just a peace of mind but after anchoring out for a day listening to music or using the fish finder for some fishing I want to know for sure that the engine is going to kick over.  So my question is how do I go about putting a second battery in line with the one i have alreay.  The boat has plenty of room for it so thats not a problem.  Also im looking into adding Lenco trimtabs to my boat,, I trailer it so she dosent spend much time in the water.  have you heard anything about them as compared to Bennent?

Thanks

4's enough
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 19 2006 at 01:06 | IP Logged Quote 4's enough

iN ANSWER TO YOUR ADDITIONAL BATTERY. As a great lakes boater for 50 yrs and anchoring out 99% of that time we would never think of one single battery in the hold. You will need an extra battery case...with cover...heavy gauge wire pre cut to proper length with ends pre pressed...o3 gauge. I would place the battery on the opposite side of the boat to balance the weight also. You will also require a Battery 1-2 .off +both switch (DO NOT USE BATTERY ISOLATORS!!!)  hook up is quite simple and requires no skills..just care..Run the red wire from your present battery+...to the  ctr post on the battery switch...the switch will have 3 connectors...The connector will note "common connector"  then tie both of the black negs posts of the batteries together...- to - and then to the motor block as it is now.you will now have to run one RED cable from each battery to the remainder  2 connectors on the new batt switch.

This has worked well for me on 3 boats for many decades. the trick is to NEVER,,,EVER run both batteries with the switch on "BOTH"..this will draw down a good battery and possibly overload your cables if one battery is in really bad shape!. This can be done in an emergency if neccesary for a short starting cycle. I just start with one battery...run it for a short time...and switch over to the second battery. by doing this you will always have a good battery to start your boat when needed.

About battery switches...their are many new types on the market today..GUEST has been arond for decades...all copper and well constructed. A new one  on the boating scene  now (can't recall brand..but check your boating/marine cats)will watch the charge...advise you of a dieing battery with red/yellow'& green LEDs..and other neat skills...about $50. I did a short write up about it in Heartland Boating for which Im a journalist. The catalogs also have wiring diagrams in the battery cable sections for you to follow if your a bit confused.

You will now have safer & more reliable boat. Nothing is so alarming as being anchored off someplace in the North channel of canada's Lake Huron 10 miles from no one else and to  turn the key and hear "click..click"  No radio..no nothing!  It does happen !  I commend you with the change your planning! 

Not up on the brand of trims your asking..mine were installed over 30 yrs ago...still in use..unfortuantly that co went out of business.. I have had them so long I can't recal the co...A great product..I highly recoment tabs for any vesel over 20 feet.

safe Boating!! Cliff Steele

Will be happy to answer any e mail reff the great lakes..as we have covered all three over 5 decades and many port to port articles In HB  4css@alltel.net

Back to Top Printable version View 4's enough's Profile Search for other posts by 4's enough

aprilvl
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 03 2007 at 00:45 | IP Logged Quote aprilvl

I live on lake champlain in vermont and we are now blessed with zebra mussels. I have been using anti foul paint for a few years now. interlux has good literature on the differnt types for different boat uses. the important thing is to make sure year to year you use a paint that is compatible with last years paint. I never have a problem with growth on my boats and they stay in the water 9 months a year. (nothing like a novemeber cruise when its snowing to make one realize how addicted to boating one is). I bottom paint mine every year and have never had blister problems. most are copper based and shed over the season to release algae and pesky critters trying to make a home on your hull. West marine has a chart that tells you what to use for intended boating. Some have a more agressive release while some are more smooth for speed boats. many boaters now are opting for the epoxy barrier coating before applying anti foul paint. I hope that helps. April
Back to Top Printable version View aprilvl's Profile Search for other posts by aprilvl

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version