View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Grady-White
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Grady-White
Subject Topic: Grady-White gas tanks and ethanol Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Rob Ransone
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 08 2006 at 09:21 | IP Logged Quote Rob Ransone

I have a 1992 G-W Gulfstream 23. Concerned about reports of ethanol gas and fiberglas gas tanks, I contacted the nearest G-W dealer. He informed me in no uncertain terms that: "Grady-White does not use fiberglas gas tanks!" And he also advised me to install a fuel/water separator filter, which I have done. He also advised me that there should be no problem with ethanol and my 2002 Honda 225 FourStroke engine.

Lady Bug
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 16 2006 at 18:38 | IP Logged Quote Lady Bug

You were informed correctly. Grady doesn't use fiberglass tanks.

I found myself with water in my tanks that got there when whoever was attempting to syphon gas this past winter (unsuccessfully) left the filler caps off when their deed was done. I noticed the situation but only after significant rain had fallen. The boat yard swore to me that they checked the bottoms of both tanks in my 1997 Voyager 248 and found no water. When my main tank got down to about 1/8 full I switched to the Aux. It took about 5 minutes for both Yamaha 150 (2 stroke) engines to sputter and stop. We were able to get them  going again by draining the water separators. We repeated this process three times before all trace of water was gone. The moral is: Those water seaparators are effective! 

Back to Top Printable version View Lady Bug's Profile Search for other posts by Lady Bug

Ray from Ohio
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 16 2006 at 19:26 | IP Logged Quote Ray from Ohio

Do you know if this applies to all Grady White years?  We have a 1986 22ft Seafarer I/O.  Did they ever use fiberglass?
Back to Top Printable version View Ray from Ohio's Profile Search for other posts by Ray from Ohio

Lady Bug
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 19 2006 at 14:38 | IP Logged Quote Lady Bug

Don't know, but its easy enough to check. Take off one or both of the deck access plates and look at the tanks.
Back to Top Printable version View Lady Bug's Profile Search for other posts by Lady Bug

pescadero
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 05 2006 at 18:14 | IP Logged Quote pescadero

This message is for Ron Ransone and the responders to his original question about fuel tanks and ethanol.  As was reported by the responders, the Grady fuel tanks are aluminum and ethanol poses no problem.  For Ladybug, the fuel fills on Grady-White boats are made by Perko.  The March 2006 Anchorline (GW's newsletter) listed new locking devices by Perko to insert into the existing ones.  I put one on each of my two fuel fills.  I purchased mine through West Marine.  They are about $20.00 each.  At the price of gas, good insurance.
                                                                         Dave

Back to Top Printable version View pescadero's Profile Search for other posts by pescadero

Lady Bug
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 07 2006 at 12:53 | IP Logged Quote Lady Bug

Thanks Dave. I too saw that article and I purchased the Perko locking devices. I installed them this week. They look to be effective to prevent theft, but will not do anything to prevent rain water from getting into the tank if the thieves leave the caps off as they did last winter. I would have preferred locking caps, but every little bit helps, I guess.

RI Popper
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 25 2007 at 10:02 | IP Logged Quote RI Popper

I have an 83 gulfstream and it has aluminum tank. Infact I just had to replace it because it pitted through.

Armand

ewkearns
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 25 2007 at 13:17 | IP Logged Quote ewkearns

Which one... main or auxiliary? Where did you have it made?
Back to Top Printable version View ewkearns's Profile Search for other posts by ewkearns

RI Popper
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 25 2007 at 13:31 | IP Logged Quote RI Popper

I had it made through http://www.custommarinefueltanks.com/ It is the only tank in that model It was a 65 gallon tank. They upgraded it to about 70 gallons and I still had room to spare.

Armand

ewkearns
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 25 2007 at 20:06 | IP Logged Quote ewkearns

WOW! I have an '87 Gulfstream and it carries 200 gallons. Roughly 100 in the aux and 100 in the main.
Back to Top Printable version View ewkearns's Profile Search for other posts by ewkearns

RI Popper
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 25 2007 at 20:40 | IP Logged Quote RI Popper

In retrospect I wish I had gone larger with that tank and anyway I can alwayse fit another tank where the inboard motor was.

Armand

ewkearns
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 26 2007 at 13:31 | IP Logged Quote ewkearns

YMMV, but my original documentation from G-W advised against putting anything like gasoline or a battery in that area.

My auxiliary tank is under the deck plate just aft of the cuddy door.. that might be a better choice for you. Certainly, it would help balance the load. IF your hull is like mine, you have room for 100 gallons there. IIRC the tank is about 28" deep with a "V" shaped bottom.

RI Popper
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 26 2007 at 14:09 | IP Logged Quote RI Popper

That is where my 70 gallons is now. And that pretty much takes up the space it's only a "205" which is less than 21' boat.

ewkearns
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 26 2007 at 15:42 | IP Logged Quote ewkearns

Ah..... OK...... Sorry, I went a little brain dead, there, and forgot that '87 was the first year of the 232G.

RI Popper
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 26 2007 at 18:06 | IP Logged Quote RI Popper

NP, I wish I had a bigger boat :)  but the bigger the boat the more gas you burn right?LOL. 

I'm still hoping they come out with a diesle out-board.

Armand

ewkearns
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 28 2007 at 19:41 | IP Logged Quote ewkearns

I remember diesel outboards from 40 years ago. Problem was that they didn't have a lot of power and they weighed about a million pounds. I think Yanmar is still making one.

I've got two 140hp Suzuki 4-strokes on my Grady and have been very happy with their thriftiness, though I think I gave up some speed from the 150hp Yamahas. Oh well, boating where I do, there aren't many days that WOT is an option.... unless you want your kidneys in your hip pocket!

RI Popper
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 28 2007 at 21:37 | IP Logged Quote RI Popper

[QUOTE=ewkearns]I remember diesel outboards from 40 years ago. Problem was that they didn't have a lot of power and they weighed about a million pounds. I think Yanmar is still making one.

I've got two 140hp Suzuki 4-strokes on my Grady and have been very happy with their thriftiness, though I think I gave up some speed from the 150hp Yamahas. Oh well, boating where I do, there aren't many days that WOT is an option.... unless you want your kidneys in your hip pocket!
[/QUOTE

I would hope with today's high tech alloy's and composites an economic weight and price diesel could be produced in an outboard. Maybe I'm dreaming.  I know what you mean about being able to travel WOT. Don't get to do that much but I can cruise comfortable at 27 mph at 4000 rpms.

Armand

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version