View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Grady-White
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Grady-White
Subject Topic: Yamaha 4 Stroke Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Cap'n Dan
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 03 2006 at 17:45 | IP Logged Quote Cap'n Dan

Looking for advice about Yamaha 4 Strokes. I just bought a new Grady with twin 250's. These are no doubt incredible machines. I am amazed that the dealer stressed (as well as the owner's manual) that I need to use Yamaha "Ring Free" in the gas. At $18 per bottle that adds about 15 cents to the price of every gal. Is this a scam? Is there another product that's more reasonable?

If these engines are as durable and sophisticated as I'm told why the additives?

pescadero
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 04 2006 at 17:47 | IP Logged Quote pescadero

Cap;n Dan

I am on my second GW boat.  The current one a 270 Islander with twin 150 Yamahas.  I have been using Valv-Tect products.  I am told additives such as injector cleaners are worth using.  Keeping injectors clean and functioning adds to engine-life.  Valv-Tect also has a carbon free additive which is much like Yamaha's Ring Free.  I think these additives are like insurance.  Quality of gasoline is probably the key, and the additive is insurance against poor quality gasoline.  Valv-Tect is about half the cost of the Yamaha additive.

Hope this helps.

Back to Top Printable version View pescadero's Profile Search for other posts by pescadero

Cap'n Dan
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 04 2006 at 19:42 | IP Logged Quote Cap'n Dan

Thanks for the advice. I have looked and there aren't any marinas in the area that sell Valv-Tect gas however you got me interested in their additive. I checked on line and indeed the similar additive to Ring Free, Carbon Free, is half the price but it treats half the gallons.  I looked at the West Marine catalog and there are numerous additives that claim to do the same thing. One in particular is PRI-G. Seems to do the same and more and is actually a good deal less expensive.

I'll do some more research. I guess I just find it hard to believe that they can't make these engines to be less of a hassle and less expensive to operate. I'm trying to picture myself at the fuel dock guessing how many gallons I need and then measuring out how many ounces of additive to add to the tank while another boat is waiting to fuel up. UGH!!.

Thanks again.

Dan

Elyse M
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 04 2006 at 21:20 | IP Logged Quote Elyse M

<I just bought a new Grady with twin 250's.>

worrying about 15 cents a gallon doesn't reconcile with that statement.  also, as you note, Yamaha is stressing that you use the additive.  my service guys (whom i trust) tell me it makes a big difference in reducing carbon build up on the cylinders and in performance.  you can save a few bucks if you buy the quarts (and if you use your fuel management gauges, you will know pretty much what your burn has been). 

i have an '02 gulfstream w/ twin f200's.  they run as smoothly as when they were brand new and burn better than 2 mpg at cruise.  the cost of the ring free is pretty much at the bottom of the list. 

before you bypass a manufacturer's recommendation (and especially considering how much each of those engines cost you) you have to ask yourself, "do you feel lucky?" 

Back to Top Printable version View Elyse M's Profile Search for other posts by Elyse M

dduflo
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 14 2006 at 07:18 | IP Logged Quote dduflo

I just bought a new Islander 270 with twin Yamaha 225s.  Dealer said to use the RingFree to help keep the H2O out of the fuel system and carbon free.  Our boat gets heavy use for a few days then sits for a week or more so the Ethonol issue could pose a problem over time.  I am planning on using it, or a brand name subsitute,  everyother fillup.  We tradded in a '93 225 Evenrude that ran as well as the day it was new and I never added anything to the fuel so who knows if it is absolutly necessary but I'm not going to risk it.
Back to Top Printable version View dduflo's Profile Search for other posts by dduflo

Cap'n Dan
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 14 2006 at 18:44 | IP Logged Quote Cap'n Dan

Dave,

I have done a lot of research and it seems that everyone does recommend an additive to the gas. Ring Free is certainly the most expensive. I received some very helpful information from PRI-G. Seems to do everything that Ring Free does and more and it's half the price. Also, I was in West Marine the other day and the salesman pointed out a product from Starbrite (blue liquid in a clear bottle) that he said he heard was also a step above Ring Free and I believe that was also a lot cheaper. Didn't catch the name.

This whole thing still annoys me. With the price of those engines you would think they could make them a bit less in need of care. I am going in for a 20 hour service tomorrow. That also annoys me. I've owned some very expensive cars and never had to do this.

Back to Top Printable version View Cap'n Dan's Profile Search for other posts by Cap'n Dan

dduflo
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 14 2006 at 19:13 | IP Logged Quote dduflo

Careful on the 20 hr service.  I knew there was a 20 hr service but wasn't quick enough to negoiate it in the purchase price.  $420!!!  Charged for filters, hauling, lower unit refil, 12 quarts of oil, and the normal per hour rate for a slow moving mechanic, disposal fees, etc, etc.  I have been around boat yards all my life and should have known better.  I told them that I still had not purchased a trailer and was going elsewhere.  Yard owner looked at the bill and tossed out the hauling charges and a couple other items.  I have not seen the final tally.  Did get a decent deal on the trailer.  Over all I'm reasonably happy but I'll never understand why they have to stick the wenie to you just to see how much pain you will tolerate.
Back to Top Printable version View dduflo's Profile Search for other posts by dduflo

Cap'n Dan
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 15 2006 at 15:55 | IP Logged Quote Cap'n Dan

Dave,

You had me worried about my 20 hr. service. I just returned and it was (only) $207 for everything you mentioned. Although I am still annoyed that I have to do this, that really seemed fair as they pulled the boat and even gave it a complete cleaning. This included scrubbing the hull (I don't paint the bottom). The guys were terrific and professional. They warned me that the 100 hr. service is much more involved (UGH!).

The worse part is that the marina is 50 miles round trip from home. That's a lot of gas today to go get service.

CJBROWN
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 29 2007 at 18:45 | IP Logged Quote CJBROWN

RingFree was created for Yamaha by Chevron for the HPDI motors due to the oil burning and their o2 sensors. It made sense to carry on the recommendation for the 4-strokes to ensure clean combustion chambers and fuel injectors, and a continued revenue source. The actual requirement for the F-series motors is way over blown.

BTW, Amsoil makes an outstanding product called PERFORMANCE IMPROVER, it's a fuel conditioner and carbon remover with super detergent properties. It's $6 for a bottle good for up to 40 gallons of gas.  A lot of us Yam 4-stroke owners are using it along with their outboard motor oil for 4-strokes, and their gearlube. I know, Amsoil blah-blah-blah - it's great stuff though. A fuel preservative is recommend if you have any E-10 in the tank and will store for more than 6-8 weeks.

BTW, the service requirements on those engines are well within a talented DIY'er's capabilities. About the only thing a dealer might be required for is a valve clearance check which can be done about every 400 hours, and replacing the cam belt which is done about a thousand hours. I just did the 100 hour service and it's a piece of cake. Plugs are good for a couple hundred hours at least. Same thing there, from the 2-smoke days they recommend a remove and clean every 100 hours. But you'll find them like new in that length of time.

Another BTW, only use a OEM oil filter, the Sierra filter is not the same quality. Andy at SIM is a great source for parts if you want to mail order at a discount.

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version