• Contact Claims: 1-800-937-1937
  • Get a Free Quote: 1-800-283-2883
  • 1-800-245-2628
  • 9AM - 5PM EST
  • 1-800-365-5636
Viewing Blog

View All Blogs | View Blogs by Ed Holownia | View Blogs in Star Clipper Experience

<- Previous Blog by Ed Holownia | Next Blog by Ed Holownia ->

My Royal Clipper Cruise Experience - Windward Islands - Day 4

By Ed Holownia - Published November 15, 2006 - Viewed 1802 times

11/15/06 Antigua

I finally got up early enough to catch the sunrise.  I met another one of our members, John, up at the bridge watching the sunrise. 

After eating breakfast, I went out into the "cargo net" hanging off the bow sprit and fell asleep for about an hour or so.


After we anchored in Falmouth Harbor, I caught a launch over to the marina to use the internet and grab a local beer.  The local beer was called Wadadli, it was very good.  

After using the internet, I walked about 20 minutes over to the beach where the crew had set up a Beach BBQ.  It was pretty amazing to see all of the stuff the crew had brought over from the ship for the BBQ. 

After lunch, I headed for a Kayaking Eco-Tour with a lady I had met on board, Pat.  Since we were going Kayaking, I didn’t bring my camera because I didn’t want it to get wet if we happened to flip the kayak.  As it turns out, that was a mistake; I could have left the camera in my bag in the skiffs we took over to the kayak dock.  Oh well, now I know for next time!!  The Kayak Eco Tour was amazing; we took a bus to the Tour Office (which also happened to be the tour owner/proprietors house).  From there was all piled in 3 skiffs and took a 5 minute boat ride over to the mangroves where the kayaks were all tied up.  We all got in and the tour guide took us around the mangroves and he talked all about the mangroves, the wildlife that lives in them, the sea grass, sea turtles, etc. 

Then when we were done, we got back in the skiffs for a 20 minutes ride to a deserted island called “Bird Island”.  There we anchored a few hundred yards off the beach right near a large reef.  We snorkeled there for about an hour or so.  There was so much more sea life here than at the cove in Dominica. 

After snorkeling, we got back into the skiffs and beached them on Bird Island, where we hiked about 5 minutes to the highest point on the tiny island.  Up there we saw one of the rarest snakes in the world, the Antigua Racer.  The tour guide told us that there were only about 150 of them in the world, all on Antigua, of course. 

After the short hike, we took the skiffs back to the tour office where we were served rum punch. 

Since we were going to be anchored in Falmouth Harbor until midnight, I decided to eat dinner ashore.  A few other people joined me and we walked up to the Admiral’s Inn, which was built in the 1700s as a dockyard by the British, it was beautiful. 

We wound up at a local restaurant, which I didn’t catch the name of and ate some fresh and delicious seafood.  When we got back to the boat after dinner, the Steel Drum band was in full swing and everyone was up on deck dancing. 

After the band left, the ship set sail for St. Kitts, and a few of us ended up staying at the bar and closing it down.  I would be sleeping late tomorrow. J 

Blog Comments

There are 0 blog comments.

Sorry there are no blog comments.

Post Blog Comments

Sorry but you must be logged in to submit comments.