NEWS from BoatUS
Boat Owners Association of The United States
880 S. Pickett St., Alexandria, VA 22304
BoatUS Press Room at www.BoatUS.com
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Press Contact: D. Scott Croft, 703-461-2864, SCroft@BoatUS.com
Clark, Sacks, West Appointed to BoatUS National Advisory Council
ALEXANDRIA, Va., November 12, 2009 – The Boat Owners Association of The United States (BoatUS) has made three key appointments to its National Advisory Council. They include Lenora Clark, Anne Sacks and Col. Terry West. Clark is vice chair, California Boating and Waterways Commission and Sacks is president of the statewide advocacy group Recreational Boaters of California. West is president of the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators and hails from Georgia.
The Council was created over 30 years ago to advise and guide the over half-million-member association on federal and state issues critical to recreational boaters. Throughout the years they have debated policy topics ranging from unfair fees and taxes to today’s hot-button issues such as the increasing levels of ethanol in fuel, boating access, safety issues such as boater education, the government’s small boat threat strategy and more.
“Both Lenora and Anne bring a vital West Coast perspective to our Advisory Council while Terry offers important contributions from the law enforcement side,” said BoatUS President Nancy Michelman. “Now that they are on our Advisory Council, boaters in every state of the nation will benefit from their leadership, expertise and enthusiasm,” she added.
The Advisory Council recently held its annual meeting this past weekend in St. Petersburg, Florida. “This gathering allows us to get everyone together, lay out all the challenges, and help us find our way through the forest of issues affecting recreational boaters,” added Michelman.
Members of the BoatUS National Advisory Council include:
- John Bonds, Former Executive Director, US SAILING
- Steven M. Budar, Past National Commodore, US Coast Guard Auxiliary
- Kris Carroll, President, Grady-White Boats, Inc.
- Lenora Clark, Vice Chair, California Boating and Waterways Commission
- Dean Travis Clarke, Executive Editor, Sport Fishing and Marlin magazines
- Doris Colgate, President, Offshore Sailing School
- Wolcott “Tony” Gibbs Jr., former editor of Yachting and Current Council Chairman
- Jim Ellis, Former President, BoatUS
- Chuck Hawley, Vice President of Product Information, West Marine
- Charles Husick, Former President, Chris-Craft Boat Company
- Elbert “Mack” Maloney, Author, Chapman’s and Dutton’s
- Ernest G. Marshburn, SN, Past Chief Commander, US Power Squadrons
- Col. Terry West, President, National Assn. of State Boating Law Administrators
- Admiral Robert Nelson, Vice Commandant, US Coast Guard (Retired)
- Anne Sacks, President, Recreational Boaters of California
- Richard Schwartz, BoatUS Chairman and Founder
BoatUS – Boat Owners Association of The United States – is the nation’s leading advocate for recreational boaters providing its over half a million members with government representation, programs and money saving services. For membership information visit www.BoatUS.com or call 800-395-2628.