Boat Owners Association of The United States – BoatUS – is a non-stock association with no stockholders, incorporated under the laws of the District of Columbia. Members are listened to intently, and drive many changes in BoatUS programs and policies, but do not have a “legal” say in running the organization. BoatUS does not publish an annual report.
BoatUS officers direct the Association activities. The officers are elected by a Board of Directors and receive advice from a National Advisory Council (NAC). The Board Members and NAC Members are listed below. They can all be reached through the Executive Office, BoatUS, 880 S. Pickett Street, Alexandria, VA 22304. Boat America Corporation has a contract with BoatUS to provide services to BoatUS and its Members, including boat insurance, towing and boat financing. Boat America Corporation is part of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies, chaired by Warren Buffett, and does business under the name “BoatUS”.
Also affiliated with BoatUS is the BoatUS Foundation for Boating Safety and Clean Water, a 501(c)(3) charitable organization that is funded primarily through voluntary tax-deductible donations from BoatUS Members. The Foundation also receives grants from NOAA and other organizations. The Foundation’s annual report is published and available online at BoatUS.org/annual-reports.
BoatUS has registered lobbyists on staff who actively work in the federal and state arenas on issues that affect recreational boaters. BoatUS is non-partisan, working with any policy maker, regardless of political party, who advocates on behalf of boat owners and their access to the water. BoatUS's lobbying activities are all directed at protecting or enhancing the interests of boat owners. An overview of successes are available at BoatUS.com/gov.
BoatUS Board of Directors:
- Kirk La, COO
- Margaret Podlich, President
- Bob Adriance (NAC)
- Kris Carroll (NAC)
- Chris Edmonston, President, BoatUS Foundation
- Jim Ellis (NAC)
- Beth Newburger, President, Epoch Communications
BoatUS National Advisory Council:
- Robert Adriance, Former Editor, Seaworthy
- John Alter, Past Chief Commander, United States Power Squadrons
- Kris Carroll, President, Grady-White Boats, Inc.
- Lenora S. Clark, CA Boating Commissioner, Former RBOC President
- Dean Travis Clarke, Former Editor, Sport Fishing Magazine
- Thom Dammrich, President, National Marine Manufacturers Association
- Greg Gibeson, President, Recreational Boaters of California
- Jim Ellis, Former President, BoatUS
- John Flynn, Public Policy Advisor, Squire Patton Boggs
- Chuck Hawley, Former VP of Product Information, West Marine
- Commodore Thomas C. Mallison, Past National Commodore, U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary
- Eleanor Mariani, President, National Association of State Boating Law Administrators