The MMSI site at BoatUS.com has expanded the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) regarding online registration of DSC-VHF radios, VHF radio questions, Rescue 21 and general questions about MMSI (Maritime Mobile Service Identity) and how it pertains to your boat.
Questions are grouped by category, so please click on the appropriate question to view the answer. For additional information please contact us at MMSI@BoatUS.com.
- How can I register to get a free MMSI number?
- What is the quickest way to obtain the Free MMSI number?
- Is there a fee to receive an MMSI number?
- Why has BoatUS elected to absorb the cost of MMSI registration?
- What will my email address be used for?
- How can I obtain a copy of the VHF/DSC Tutorial for teaching purposes?
- How can I make changes to my registration?
- How do I cancel my MMSI account?
- I have obtained my MMSI number online. Now what?
- How can I test to make sure I have programmed the number correctly?
- Is an FCC VHF license required?
- I am a recreational boater in the United States but regularly go into Canadian waters. Can I still use
the BoatUS MMSI?
- I am a Canadian boater with a DSC radio. Can I register at BoatUS?
- What is the difference between obtaining an MMSI from the FCC and obtaining a number from
- I am voluntarily FCC Licensed but do not have an MMSI number. Can I obtain my MMSI through
- I am now required to obtain an FCC License. Should I continue to use the MMSI previously obtained through BoatUS?
- I am interested in registering a vessel that is operated by a Federal Agency. Can this be done through the BoatUS MMSI Program?
- I cannot proceed with the application. The system defaults to the main page. Why?
- I do not remember my login/pw and was unable to retrieve them by my old email address. How do I access my registration?
- The system does not recognize my login/pw.
- I cannot input my full EPIRB ID Code
- Are EPIRBs part of this radio registration process?
VHF Radio Questions
- I have more than one radio on my boat. Can they use the same MMSI number?
- I have a handheld radio on board my boat. Should it have its own MMSI number?
- I have a VHF Handheld with DSC capability. Can I register it for an MMSI through your website?
- I have an FCC license that is still valid. I am buying a new DSC capable VHF radio. Do I have to
transfer the license or something to cover the new radio?
- I want to get an MMSI for my Portable Dive Radio. Will my BoatUS assigned MMSI be valid in International waters?
What is MMSI?
- What does MMSI stand for?
- What is MMSI?
- What does DSC stand for?
- Is my radio capable of sending a DSC message?
- What does MMSI do?
- What are some advantages of a DSC equipped radio?
- Does the U.S. Coast Guard monitor DSC maydays?
- I am required to have an FCC License. How do I obtain one?
- Does the Coast Guard plan to cease monitoring Channel 16 once GMDSS is operational in the U.S. after 2005-2006?
- Is there a channel reserved for DSC?
- As a recreational boater, do I have to maintain a watch on Channel 70?
- What is "private calling" as related to DSC?
- I thought MMSI numbers were supposed to begin with a "366". I received mine and it has a different prefix.
MMSI as it Pertains to the Boat
- Is the MMSI unique to the boat owner or does it stay with the boat and radio?
- I have two boats, in different states and each has a DSC capable VHF radio. Can I get two MMSI numbers?
- I have sold my boat & radio. What should I do?
- I have purchased a boat & radio with an MMSI number programmed into it. Can the MMSI number be transferred over to me?
- I have purchased a previously owned boat with radio and I am not sure if it has an MMSI number assigned to it.
- I have an FCC Ship Station License which has expired and it included an MMSI number. Do I need to get a new MMSI number?
- I have a number assigned by Maritel, who is no longer providing the service. Do I need to get a new MMSI number?
- I bought a boat with a Ship's Station License and MMSI. Can I continue to use the call sign and MMSI that came with it?